ADVERTISEMENT

Marlon Stewart

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Hopefully this guy isnt one that ends up getting away from the state of Iowa but this guy can play. He looked like the best basketball talent in the state of Iowa last week in leading North Scott to the 4A title. he BlueJays may have got a steal in him.

I should give credit to his teammate Seales though too, Those two were the best in the 4A tournament.

I have heard everyone who seen Stewart play say the same thing. Everyone. So, why is Creighton his best offer and why was he only 3rd team? It doesn't add up but again, many are worried about him being one that got away.
This post was edited on 3/16 7:44 PM by hawk_a_holic

Stewart is a pretty good player, as is Searles, but I don't think either of them are as good as the players we have on our roster now.

I wish we would have offered both Seales and Stewart. One scout said that Seales was easily a top 100 player after watching him over this past summer and Stewart could have been out PG for four years after MG and Sapp graduated.

I dont know if Stewart is the type of PG Fran is looking for. I saw a score first PG who has a good shot, good handles and solid D1 D. I think Fran is looking for more of a PG that isnt score first but creates for all of his teamates. Seales was more that guy for North Scott. I think Stewart will be a solid guard for the BlueJays though. Hopefully Fran can land a big PG next year otherwise not taking a serious look at Stewart could prove to be a mistake.

who is saying thar Fran is not loking at him, there were some on HI that kept telling that Fran was not even following Jok. in fact Todd kept pimping some kid from Wisconsin that never had nor got a offer from Fran.

getting a pg in the 2016 class is a high priority and I feel that Fran will be very selective as to who he gets. remember the PG he gets will be starting as a True FR. and may end up a 4 year starter.

So you have a time machine and can travel into the future and as such know that a freshman will be starting PG in 2016?

Even though we have versatile players like Williams, Flemming and Moss (which you never miss a chance to tell all of us how many multiple positions they can play) that will be in the program a full year before this freshman ever steps foot on campus, but you're sure a freshman will be our starting PG in 2016......................
This post was edited on 3/17 9:50 PM by 4th & 9 inches

Originally posted by hawk_a_holic:
I have heard everyone who seen Stewart play say the same thing. Everyone. So, why is Creighton his best offer and why was he only 3rd team? It doesn't add up but again, many are worried about him being one that got away.

This post was edited on 3/16 7:44 PM by hawk_a_holic
It's simple. If they leave the state and don't sign with Iowa it's a huge miss. If we recruit him and he comes here he isn't worthy of a D1 scholarship. Been that way for years around here.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

who is saying thar Fran is not loking at him, there were some on HI that kept telling that Fran was not even following Jok. in fact Todd kept pimping some kid from Wisconsin that never had nor got a offer from Fran.

getting a pg in the 2016 class is a high priority and I feel that Fran will be very selective as to who he gets. remember the PG he gets will be starting as a True FR. and may end up a 4 year starter.
Well he signed this paper called a Letter of Intent to Creighton, so Fran isn't allowed to recruit him.

I've seen a lot of Seales and Stewart this year. Stewart got hot at the end of the season. Seales was the player teams keyed on more all season and he still was more impressive than Stewart statistically. Seales was an absolute steal by North Dakota and anyone from the MAC(Iowa high school) conference would tell you that. Seales shot is essentially impossible to block, because he has a very high release on his jumper inside the arc. At 6'6 other than Pleasant Valley players he could simply jump and rise above defenders for a clean jumper.

I've seen all MAC players/teams, IC West(2 times), DM Hoover(1 time), CR Xavier, Mt. Vernon, Solon, Dewitt, and Maquoketa

Stewart received limited offers because he is inconsistent.
He thrives against teams with slower and weaker guards.
He struggles with guys who keep him in front and have length.

DeLaSalle MN gave up a lot of drives to the rim against him in the first half and slowed him down and forced him to shoot contested outside. He was 0-5 3pt and 6-16 shooting in a 2pt NS win.

Rock Island got thumped by mainly Seales in the first half. Tyler Hall and company completely shut down Stewart in the game. RI was probably the most athletic squad I saw this season. He went 1-9 shooting 0-4 3pt 1-4 FT.

Cretin Durham Hall... 6-19 FG 1-8 3pt 2-6 FT

Pleasant Valley- Tall players and they pack the defense. 5-14 FG 1-6 3pt

Pleasant Valley- 4-16 FG 0-6 3pt

Pleasant Valley- Championship 3-10 FG 1-3 3pt 4-4 FT

I will say the kid is a gamer. He seems to rise to the top when his team needs him in pressure situations and it showed at state.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best players I saw this year:(Keeping this list short)
Tyler Hall- Rock Island
Cortez Seales- North Scott
Chris King- DM Hoover
Brady Ernst- Clinton
Marlon Stewart- North Scott
Joe Wieskamp- Muscatine--- He's a Freshman
Will Carius- Pleasant Valley

It will be very interesting to see Hall and Seales develop in the future. Obviously they did not have any other major D1 offers but I know we looked at both extensively with them being in our own backyard. I thought both could have played for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT