ADVERTISEMENT

OT- HS Boys State Finals wrapped up

It’s funny that you’ll give a tip of the cap to Algona Garrigan. They’re an 8-man football school with 40+ kids on their roster in a 3A town. Seems to be the EXACT school you’re arguing against. Some 8 man schools don’t even have 40 boys in their high school, but Garrigan can get all that participation since they’re “rich kids” who don’t have to get jobs and none of them are on IEPs.

And before you say “I said that at the end”, I will agree that you did mention it as an after thought after praising them.
I’d be willing to bet garrigan and don Bosco have more boys playing football than a lot of schools in 1a and 2a.
You also don’t see garrigan or kuemper reloading with new kids at the rates you see from the metro privates as well.

I’d be willing to bet garrigan and don Bosco have more boys playing football than a lot of schools in 1a and 2a.
You also don’t see garrigan or kuemper reloading with new kids at the rates you see from the metro privates as well.
The problem lies mainly with population centers……Again, I have no bias against private/parochial schools, my problem is these schools enjoy a HUGE advantage when they play in State competitions…..against MUCH smaller populations. What’s the population of Carroll, Pella and Algona when compared against Sioux City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport? DSM has Christian and Grandview, too….atleast Dowling plays similarly populated competition.

The dislike of private / parochial schools in this thread is on par with the various ESA threads.

Xavier doesn't play schools with 2000 population. That is either an exaggeration or dishonest. The smallest I could find from last year's football schedule is Clear Creek Amana (Tiffin). Most of the towns they play are 10-20k populations.

Coaches at the high school level make such a difference. North Linn is a great example of recent dominance.
Walhert plays a town like Osage to go to state in several sports. Xavier may stay up a class from walhert in that respect but what is really closer Osage to Dubuque Or Dubuque to Cedar Rapids.
Xavier plays teams like Charles city, a town of 7,000. Who are they more similar to Iowa city high or Charles city? Charles city maybe has 15,000 people within a 15 mile radius. Draw that radius around Xavier and what do you have?

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Softball for sure. Soccer. Baseball. Girls basketball is always good in a small town conference. That would have opportunities in those sports off the top of my head. Especially dropping one class instead of 2.
You may want to review your picks. Softball would be maybe, soccer as well. Baseball and girls basketball haven’t won a title in their current class.
Majority of losses in softball and soccer come when they go up classes. Not usually’title worthy’
Competitive.
I think your metro area perception is skewed by being in the QC.

Hell, can’t Xavier even pull students from other districts because aren’t they “limited” by their diocese boundaries? Seems to me, that Wahlert had a lot of players from the Illinois side of the river back in their heyday...but then it wasn’t such a factor because there was only one or two “classes” in HS sports..

Wahlert was getting Wisconsin kids (like the Burbachs among others) back in the hey day of the 70s/80s when they were competing and winning championships. Not many from Illinois. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT