ADVERTISEMENT

Maui, HI

Dec 14, 2002
We're going to Maui next week. I've read all of the top 10 lists on the vacation sites, but came to GIAOT to get some more tips/advice. Any "can't miss" sites in Maui? Appreciate any do's and don'ts from your experiences......

Go to Da Kitchen for your ohno grinds. Whale watch, if in season. Haleakala. Lahaina, Wailea. Molokini crater snorkeling. Four Seasons Wailea. Golfing. I prefer Wailea, richer, than Lahaina, unwashed masses.

Go to La Perouse Bay, Wailea side, in the early am. It's a marine sanctuary and you will see a ton of marine life, especially schools of yellow tangs.

My favorite place to eat closed during covid.
But if you're going to do a luau look at the Old Lahaina Luau - it's the best on the island by far. But it's probably too late to get reservations.

Reactions: ericram and GOHOX69
We're going to Maui next week. I've read all of the top 10 lists on the vacation sites, but came to GIAOT to get some more tips/advice. Any "can't miss" sites in Maui? Appreciate any do's and don'ts from your experiences......
Should be whale season so try that. As torbee mentioned the crater sunrise and bike down is good.
Merrimans and mamas fish house are great but hard to get into. Honu is our favorite smaller place right next to the ocean.
Japengo for sushi at the hyatt is nice but $$. I always like seeing the penguins at the hyatt.
If you golf let me know - separate list.
Do not do the drive around the north end. Fricking crazy.

Reactions: goldmom
Road to Hana is worth doing if you don't have any passengers who get car sick. Plenty of sights and stops along the way. It's a whole day back and forth though.

If you like Ahi Tuna, Mama's Fish House on the north shore has the best on the island.

Scenic drive northeast out of Kapalua Golf Course is also fantastic. There are some narrow spots on that road but definitely some amazing views.

Last edited:
1. waimea beach and falls was the best day I had
2. Kona for a charter snorkle/wildlife watching was the best day of our trip. Saw just about everything you would want to see.
3. Maui: hard to tell we spent too much time driving around. Beaches weren't as good as the north shore.

Reactions: goldmom
Should be whale season so try that. As torbee mentioned the crater sunrise and bike down is good.
Merrimans and mamas fish house are great but hard to get into. Honu is our favorite smaller place right next to the ocean.
Japengo for sushi at the hyatt is nice but $$. I always like seeing the penguins at the hyatt.
If you golf let me know - separate list.
Do not do the drive around the north end. Fricking crazy.
I drove the whole island going past Hana all the way around. I honestly Found the “no go” portion to be less concerning than the road to Hana because there was no traffic/tour busses trying to run you off the road.

If you do road to hana make sure and buy Gypsy Guide app that's a self guided tour through car bluetooth. It cost $10 and worth it.

Molokolini snorkel tour was great swam with sea turtles and saw whales on the excursion. If you have kids then have them jump off small cliff/peak by Sheraton hotel. You will love it, top 5 family trip for us.

If you like hiking, check out Mount Haleakala. From beginning to end it's (I think) 12-13 miles long. The place looks like Mars with its colors in certain areas.

If you do the road to Hana, drive safe and pay attention to others.

Go to Da Kitchen for your ohno grinds. Whale watch, if in season. Haleakala. Lahaina, Wailea. Molokini crater snorkeling. Four Seasons Wailea. Golfing. I prefer Wailea, richer, than Lahaina, unwashed masses.

Go to La Perouse Bay, Wailea side, in the early am. It's a marine sanctuary and you will see a ton of marine life, especially schools of yellow tangs.
Kapalua $$ makes wailea look like Oakland.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Search “Hawaii” and @FSUTribe76 as we went to the big island and sought advice, and he had a lot of excellent tips and destinations, I believe for all of the islands.

Edited to note there is probably something in this thread.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Hit the beach… there’s a several good ones. We’ve stayed at Waldorf Wailea and Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. Wailea is nicer but Kaanapali is nice too. Lahaina has some good restaurants and decent to walk around before or after dinner window shopping and taking in the sunset. As mentioned Mama’s Fishhouse is good, but expensive and can be hard to get into so make reservations. Leoda’s is a fantastic spot along the coast outside of Lahaina. Road to Hana has some cool things to see but if you aren’t in Maui for a week don’t do it or your wife might kill you… mine nearly did as she said it took all day when she could have been on the beach. That said get some chocolate chip banana bread at Hana farms and then visit the Black beach outside of Hana. The hike to Waimoku Falls through the bamboo forest is cool. And… take the back side of island back and hit Maui Wine and the Lavender Farm to cheer the wife back up.

Don't forget to wear your hawk gear. Tank top for the beach and maybe bring along a sweatshirt in case its cool and breezy at night on the water.

Buy the book Maui Revealed. It's amazing.

Do a helicopter rider on Blue Hawaiian Helicopters
Do get up at 3 am take all the blankets and warm clothing you have and drive up to the top of Haleakala to see the sun rise up above the clouds.
Do drive the Road to Hanna. Have dinner at mama's fish house at the end.

Last edited:
OP really needs to say how long he’s staying and where, and whether he’s been before, or he’ll be in the car for 75% of his trip if he takes all these suggestions.

OP really needs to say how long he’s staying and where, and whether he’s been before, or he’ll be in the car for 75% of his trip if he takes all these suggestions.
For real. If there 3 days or less stay at the resort pool/beach and then eat in evenings wherever. If there a week pick 1-2 days to do some of these things.

I’ll second doing the Road to Hana tour. But, to really enjoy it, have a guide drive you. Then everyone can enjoy the views, and they know where to stop at all the best waterfalls, pools, views and food places.

I’ll second doing the Road to Hana tour. But, to really enjoy it, have a guide drive you. Then everyone can enjoy the views, and they know where to stop at all the best waterfalls, pools, views and food places.
And go early. If you get out before the tours and the pack you’ll get to see things uninterrupted and the traffic isn’t an issue.

Reactions: Pinehawk
how high did you start up? sounds pretty gnarly
You start at the very top. Tour buses will pick up at the hotels/resorts in the area. I can’t remember what time we left, but it was very early morning and dark. They get you up top to see the sunrise over the volcano which was very cool. Was close to freezing. They give you gloves, warm gear and full face motorcycle helmets to stay warm. You remove layers as you go down. We had breakfast halfway down at some small diner/restaurant. Highly recommend.

Reactions: MWardT and DogBoyRy
My favorite place to eat closed during covid.
But if you're going to do a luau look at the Old Lahaina Luau - it's the best on the island by far. But it's probably too late to get reservations.

We did this 1 year ago. Was by far the most overrated thing we did in Maui. No fire show and the food was disgusting. Tasted like road kill. Is just a huge money grab. Maybe we caught them on an off/bad night but I would never recommend this to anyone from our experience. Save the money and go eat at Lahaina Grill or Mama’s Fish House.

Road to Hana and a whale watching tour is a must! Whales are EVERYWHERE this time of year. You can literally take a SUP out from shore and run into them. Also drive around the northwest side of the island and hike down to Nakalele Blowhole. Get up close to it.

Do the submarine tour, absolutely awesome. I am a big NO on the road to Hana. If you are driving you can't look at the scenery since the road is too curvy and do not I repeat do not go around the whole island. We had a Cadillac and it was horrible.

We did this 1 year ago. Was by far the most overrated thing we did in Maui. No fire show and the food was disgusting. Tasted like road kill. Is just a huge money grab. Maybe we caught them on an off/bad night but I would never recommend this to anyone from our experience. Save the money and go eat at Lahaina Grill or Mama’s Fish House.

Road to Hana and a whale watching tour is a must! Whales are EVERYWHERE this time of year. You can literally take a SUP out from shore and run into them. Also drive around the northwest side of the island and hike down to Nakalele Blowhole. Get up close to it.
We went to that Luau and they had a fire show and the food was good. Very entertaining.

Reactions: Pinehawk
We went to that Luau and they had a fire show and the food was good. Very entertaining.

Yeah I don’t know what the problem was the night we went. Everything felt rushed. There was no fire show. And the food was terrible. Felt bad for the waiter bc we hardly ate any of the food. It was tasteless. They brought the food to our tables. I think normally it was a buffet but they changed that during Covid concern times. We were tempted to walk out and go next door to Star Noodle and eat there.

Everyone else I know who’s been there has loved it. Now I want to call them and ask why the night of 1/28/22 was terrible!

Reactions: Jan Itor
It was terrible because of Covid. Sounds like their Covid response ruined the experience for you.
Hopefully the people behind making those decisions, are now being ignored.

Reactions: rivalhawks
We’ve always stayed in in Kaanapali area. If you’re staying up that way here are some ideas.

Rent snorkel gear for week for the family from Boss Frog’s. They’re all over the island. Go every day right off your hotel beach (assuming you’re staying on the beach). Spend a couple hours a day just floating and checking out the coral and marine life, turtles included. It’s better than the Keys, IMO. Anywhere around Blackrock is great.

Lahaina is great. Very walkable and Cool Cat is a great for very good burgers. Good family joint.

We took a boat/snorkel trip around Lanai one day and it was excellent. The water on the far side of Lanai is the clearest I have ever seen other than a few springs in Florida. It’s a long day but super fun. https://mauioceanriders.com/

Haleakala Crater is a must-do, but also drive around the small towns and back roads on the way to or from Haleakala - it’s so weird to be on Maui and feel like you are in the middle of farm country.

From Kaanapali you can drive along the Northern Maui coastline to (and past) the Nakalele Blowhole, it’s about 15 min from Kaanapali. If you’re a golfer you will pass the Plantation Course at Kapalua where they just had the Sentry Invitational.

Surf lessons in Lahaina are fun.

Just some ideas.

Yeah I don’t know what the problem was the night we went. Everything felt rushed. There was no fire show. And the food was terrible. Felt bad for the waiter bc we hardly ate any of the food. It was tasteless. They brought the food to our tables. I think normally it was a buffet but they changed that during Covid concern times. We were tempted to walk out and go next door to Star Noodle and eat there.

Everyone else I know who’s been there has loved it. Now I want to call them and ask why the night of 1/28/22 was terrible!

Old Lahaina Luau never has a fire show. That is not Hawaiian.

Reactions: rivalhawks
Search “Hawaii” and @FSUTribe76 as we went to the big island and sought advice, and he had a lot of excellent tips and destinations, I believe for all of the islands.

Edited to note there is probably something in this thread.

Thanks.

My ”Must Do’s” on Maui in order of don’t miss are:

1) Scuba or at least snorkeling Molokini. Of all the dive and snorkel sites I’ve done in the Caribbean (Bahamas, Cayman, Roatan, Tulum, Belize, Key West, John Pennekamp, St Vincent, etc..), Australia, Bermuda, and Hawaii (Oahu, Big Island and other parts of Maui), this one is my all-time favorite. I’ve talked to people who have far more extensive reef diving experience than me and the only places I’ve heard mentioned as better than Molokini are Malta in the Mediterranean, the Red Sea dive spots of Marsa Alam and Sharm el Sheikh near Egypt, Baiae off of Naples, Rainbow’s End in Fiji and Sipadan Malaysia.

2) “Secret” Red Beach in Hana. You will not find signs for it and locals even at the resorts will not tell you how to get there because it’s private property that has not been upgraded and the paths are cliffside, narrow muddy trails that get slick after any rain. But if you go there at sunrise or sunset when the maroon sand takes on a bright almost radioactive red color, you will get absolutely amazing views and photos. (see the pics in my profile here, they were taken by me personally).

3) Eat at Braddah Hutt’s BBQ grill just south of Hana (warning, closed on the weekend). One of the best bbq I’ve had anywhere and I’m a bbq fanatic who goes to famous places in Austin & Central Texas, Memphis, Mississippi Delta, North Alabama, St Louis, Kansas City, Murfreesboro KY, all over North & South Carolina encompassing multiple styles, Santa Maria California, Shenandoah Valley & Tidewater Virginia, Oklahoma, etc…. The bbqed ribs in a fresh guava and passionfruit sauce can not be beat just equaled and the best kalua pulled pork I had anywhere in Hawaii were found here.

4) Sounds like a joke, but eat the best fresh fish poke at Tamura’s Fine Wine and Liquors store. Not only the best poke, but the best seafood in general I had on Hawaii. TONS of varieties of poke, at least 20 different types not just the typical tuna and salmon. They had marlin, yellowtail Jack, unicorn wrasse, multiple species and cuts of tunas, etc….

5) Don‘t just do the road TO Hana, do the “illegal” road after Hana. It’s probably the nicest waterfront road other than California Highway One, takes you through two National Parks by plenty of waterfalls, you can stop off at multiple small farms and orchards for fresh right off the tree/vine passionfruit, papaya, guavas, bananas, etc….(This is where I learned the “trick” of hollowing out the seeds in a ripe papaya and filling the cavity with the goo from one or two passionfruit/lilikoi to use as a sour sauce to drag the sweet ripe papaya through, the combo of fresh fruits is amazing), and later it takes you through several amazingly beautiful cattle ranches before ending up in a small city with a pineapple winery and restaurants that use the great local beef. Do NOT be afraid, the roads are perfectly navigable although some spots will be very compacted dirt roads. If you’ve ever safely navigated a dirt road in mainland US, you can safely navigate the “forbidden road”.

6) The Old Lahaina Luau is the most “authentic“ (ie the least adapted to normal Midwestern diets) Luau you can go to. The reasons it’s down this low are twofold, the first is that it sells out spots quickly even a year ahead so it might be too Late to sign up so see if you can jump on it and secondly the Luaus really aren’t that authentic anyways as it’s mainly made up for white and Japanese tourons anyways and I’ve been to luaus I liked better in Florida due to the food and quality of entertainment. But if you want to do a Luau this is the one you should try for first.

7) Definitely hit up Maui Brewing even if you don’t like their limited selection of nationally available beers. At the brewery itself they have a large selection of local fruit and sour beers using unusual for most of the US ingredients like breadfruit, starfruit, ube halaya, taro Etc…. It’s one of my favorite breweries that I’ve been to in the US along with places like Wicked Weed, Troegs, Funky Buddha, Victory, Dogfish, Harpoon, New Belgium, Lakefront, Southern Magnolia, Abita, Blue Owl, Bhramari, Russian River, Dssolver, etc…

8) Stop by Ocean Organic Vodka distillery and get some of the best vodka anywhere (it’s my second favorite vodka period after Reyka vodka from Iceland and just barely ahead of Haku vodka from Japan and Russian Standard Platinum from Russia -which I do not buy since their unjust invasion of Ukraine). Pair it with a bottle of the local POG “juice”, it is amazing.

9) Stop by MauiWine as it’s also along the way back from Hana along the forbidden road. It’s not grape wine, but mainly pineapple with some other tropical fruit wines sometimes showing up. The sparkling and dry wines made from Pineapple are quite excellent and will definitely be a unique wine to serve back in the states So you’ll want to buy a few.

10) Stop at the Ulupalakua Ranch Store also along the forbidden road almost directly across from MauiWine. You will have passed by a number of cattle, elk and red deer herds along the forbidden Road and they’ve probably held you up by sitting in the middle of the road for awhile until the local cowboys drive them on, so now is your chance for revenge! Made to order burgers made from the locally ranched beef, elk and venison are grilled up in front of you and you’re probably eating next to a dusty cowboy (we had several) who had just been rounding them up.

11) Back in Lahaina, make sure you grab some Ululani shaved ice from their dozen plus locations. It’s not quite as good imo as Hansen’s SnoBliz or a couple of other places also in Nawhlins but Ululani uses fresh local fruits and ingredients to make their syrups and the ice is shaved impossibly fine so it’s not like those artificially flavored icees and slush puppies the Midwesterners love. This is one of the best cold desserts out there.

And finally a couple of tips that aren’t worth more than a sentence each. Make sure you stop by Wai’anapanapana State Park for one of the best black beaches and several nice views/photo spots. Head out to Kapalua beach for the closest thing Hawaii has to a white beach (ie nowhere near as nice as Florida’s panhandle and Gulf beaches but decent off white, thin beaches for the rest of the country) plus snorkeling and a chance to see Seaturtles. If Lahaina Fish Company is still open, it was a decent seafood restaurant I went to. The Dragon’s Teeth is a short hike through a golf course that leads to magnificent sunrise and sunset photos (Don‘t bother to go any other time just like the secret Hana Red Beach). Even if you’ve been to other larger public aquariums, Maui Aquarium is worth doing for half a day as their live coral reef exhibits are amazing. While other public aquariums have fake plastic large coral reef exhibits, EVERYTHING is alive in Maui and as a coral reef keeper myself it’s amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
Thanks.

My ”Must Do’s” on Maui in order of don’t miss are:

1) Scuba or at least snorkeling Molokini. Of all the dive and snorkel sites I’ve done in the Caribbean (Bahamas, Cayman, Roatan, Tulum, Belize, Key West, John Pennekamp, St Vincent, etc..), Australia, Bermuda, and Hawaii (Oahu, Big Island and other parts of Maui), this one is my all-time favorite. I’ve talked to people who have far more extensive reef diving experience than me and the only places I’ve heard mentioned as better than Molokini are Malta in the Mediterranean, the Red Sea dive spots of Marsa Alam and Sharm el Sheikh near Egypt, Baiae off of Naples, Rainbow’s End in Fiji and Sipadan Malaysia.

2) “Secret” Red Beach in Hana. You will not find signs for it and locals even at the resorts will not tell you how to get there because it’s private property that has not been upgraded and the paths are cliffside, narrow muddy trails that get slick after any rain. But if you go there at sunrise or sunset when the maroon sand takes on a bright almost radioactive red color, you will get absolutely amazing views and photos. (see the pics in my profile here, they were taken by me personally).

3) Eat at Braddah Hurt’s BBQ grill just south of Hana (warning, closed on the weekend). One of the best bbq I’ve had anywhere and I’m a bbq fanatic who goes to famous places in Austin & Central Texas, Memphis, Mississippi Delta, North Alabama, St Louis, Kansas City, Murfreesboro KY, all over North & South Carolina encompassing multiple styles, Santa Maria California, Shenandoah Valley & Tidewater Virginia, Oklahoma, etc…. The bbqed ribs in a fresh guava and passionfruit sauce can not be beat just equaled and the best kalua pulled pork I had anywhere in Hawaii were found here.

4) Sounds like a joke, but eat the best fresh fish poke at Tamura’s Fine Wine and Liquors store. Not only the best poke, but the best seafood in general I had on Hawaii. TONS of varieties of poke, at least 20 different types not just the typical tuna and salmon. They had marlin, yellowtail Jack, unicorn wrasse, multiple species and cuts of tunas, etc….

5) Don‘t just do the road TO Hana, do the “illegal” road after Hana. It’s probably the nicest waterfront road other than California Highway One, takes you through two National Parks by plenty of waterfalls, you can stop off at multiple small farms and orchards for fresh right off the tree/vine passionfruit, papaya, guavas, bananas, etc….(This is where I learned the “trick” of hollowing out the seeds in a ripe papaya and filling the cavity with the goo from one or two papayas to use as a sour sauce to drag the sweet ripe papaya through, the combo of fresh fruits is amazing), and later it takes you through several amazingly beautiful cattle ranches before ending up in a small city with a pineapple winery and restaurants that use the great local beef. Do NOT be afraid, the roads are perfectly navigable although some spots will be very compacted dirt roads. If you’ve ever safely navigated a dirt road in mainland US, you can safely navigate the “forbidden road”.

6) The Old Lahaina Luau is the most “authentic“ (ie the least adapted to normal Midwestern diets) Luau you can go to. The reasons it’s down this low are twofold, the first is that it sells out spots quickly even a year ahead so it might be too Late to sign up so see if you can jump on it and secondly the Luaus really aren’t that authentic anyways as it’s mainly made up for white and Japanese tourons anyways and I’ve been to luaus I liked better in Florida due to the food and quality of entertainment. But if you want to do a Luau this is the one you should try for first.

7) Definitely hit up Maui Brewing even if you don’t like their limited selection of nationally available beers. At the brewery itself they have a large selection of local fruit and sour beers using unusual for most of the US ingredients like breadfruit, starfruit, ube halaya, taro Etc…. It’s one of my favorite breweries that I’ve been to in the US along with places like Wicked Weed, Troegs, Funky Buddha, Victory, Dogfish, Harpoon, New Belgium, Lakefront, Southern Magnolia, Abita, Blue Owl, Bhramari, Russian River, Dssolver, etc…

8) Stop by Ocean Organic Vodka distillery and get some of the best vodka anywhere (it’s my second favorite vodka period after Reyka vodka from Iceland and just barely ahead of Haku vodka from Japan and Russian Standard Platinum from Russia -which I do not buy since their unjust invasion of Ukraine). Pair it with a bottle of the local POG “juice”, it is amazing.

9) Stop by MauiWine as it’s also along the way back from Hana along the forbidden road. It’s not grape wine, but mainly pineapple with some other tropical fruit wines sometimes showing up. The sparkling and dry wines made from Pineapple are quite excellent and will definitely be a unique wine to serve back in the states So you’ll want to buy a few.

10) Stop at the Ulupalakua Ranch Store also along the forbidden road almost directly across from MauiWine. You will have passed by a number of cattle, elk and red deer herds along the forbidden Road and they’ve probably held you up by sitting in the middle of the road for awhile until the local cowboys drive them on, so now is your chance for revenge! Made to order burgers made from the locally ranched beef, elk and venison are grilled up in front of you and you’re probably eating next to a dusty cowboy (we had several) who had just been rounding them up.

11) Back in Lahaina, make sure you grab some Ululani shaved ice from their dozen plus locations. It’s not quite as good imo as Hansen’s SnoBliz or a couple of other places also in Nawhlins but Ululani uses fresh local fruits and ingredients to make their syrups and the ice is shaved impossibly fine so it’s not like those artificially flavored icees and slush puppies the Midwesterners love. This is one of the best cold desserts out there.

And finally a couple of tips that aren’t worth more than a sentence each. Make sure you stop by Wai’anapanapana State Park for one of the best black beaches and several nice views/photo spots. Head out to Kapalua beach for the closest thing Hawaii has to a white beach (ie nowhere near as nice as Florida’s panhandle and Gulf beaches but decent off white, thin beaches for the rest of the country) plus snorkeling and a chance to see Seaturtles. If Lahaina Fish Company is still open, it was a decent seafood restaurant I went to. The Dragon’s Teeth is a short hike through a golf course that leads to magnificent sunrise and sunset photos (Don‘t bother to go any other time just like the secret Hana Red Beach). Even if you’ve been to other larger public aquariums, Maui Aquarium is worth doing for half a day as their live coral reef exhibits are amazing. While other public aquariums have fake plastic large coral reef exhibits, EVERYTHING is alive in Maui and as a coral reef keeper myself it’s amazing.
Dude you are some kind is something - please keep coming around. Love your musings on travel and food.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Stayed on Kannapali last year

Snorkel by Blackrock, also at Kapalua
Leoda's ha some good pie
Whalers village is a nice place, good restaurants
Road to Hana was worth it, lot of turns. takes longer to get to spots than expected

Haleakula was well worth it. Went up for the sunset and star gazing.

Whale watching tour and Sunset sailboat cruise - first time on a sailboat and went on the stretch between Kapalua and Molokai.

Hookipa beach was a favorite, plenty of turtles and windsailing and surfing

Shave Ice in Lahaina

So many different things to do in Maui. Probably my favorite trip and want to go back

I’m following this thread also, the wife and I are going in April. I looked into the Luau, wondering if it’s worth $230 a person? It looks like a pretty big meal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT