ADVERTISEMENT

Menace you’re gonna hate me but……

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
We need more athletic players….. literally every time we get beat I say it over and over again. It’s either skill or athleticism. Most of the time it looks like we just kick the ball and have a terrible first touch. Also it looks like their forwards can just streak by our midfield and fullbacks.

@Menace Sockeyes

Cristian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, and Tim Weah are stars of Italian Serie A while we have some of the brightest young rising stars in Germany and Italy. Our left back, Antonee Robinson, was the player of the season on an EPL club. We have a center back who went from Spurs to captain of Champions League club Celtic. Our roster is teaming with guys excelling at the highest level at some of the best clubs in the world. We’re typically known for our athleticism. It’s far deeper than that, but it absolutely starts with our coach.

Cristian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, and Tim Weah are stars of Italian Serie A while we have some of the brightest young rising stars in Germany and Italy. Our left back, Antonee Robinson, was the player of the season on an EPL club. We have a center back who went from Spurs to captain of Champions League club Celtic. Our roster is teaming with guys excelling at the highest level at some of the best clubs in the world. We’re typically known for our athleticism. It’s far deeper than that, but it absolutely starts with our coach.

You ALWAYS do this……I say altheticism and skill and then you point out how good the individuals are. This one is different, which coach would pull the individuals together to play as a team?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
It does take familiarity and that can be hard on a national team. But yeah, after 6 years or whatever we should see something better than this crap.

You ALWAYS do this……I say altheticism and skill and then you point out how good the individuals are. This one is different, which coach would pull the individuals together to play as a team?
He's saying it's not athleticism and bases it on their performance in leagues that are actually harder than international play is. They have the athleticism to be good, but they don't play as well as they need to together. That's on the coach. Beyond coming up with an effective game plan it's really his most important job. Get really good professionals to play well and consistently together.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Jurgen Klopp would get this team close to a World Cup quarterfinal, at the very least. Hell, maybe even the most realistic guy I wanted: Jesse Marsch. I bet there are at least five AMERICAN coaches home and abroad that could get better results out of the talent on this squad.

Jurgen Klopp would get this team close to a World Cup quarterfinal, at the very least. Hell, maybe even the most realistic guy I wanted: Jesse Marsch. I bet there are at least five AMERICAN coaches home and abroad that could get better results out of the talent on this squad.
Jurgen's biggest mistake was not biting the bullet and swallowing his pride and keeping Donovan on the World Cup squad in 14. It salted the Earth with a lot of people, including players, and I think in a lot of ways kept people around the organization from buying in. Then again, 4-6 years is about all you get out of a World Cup coach so it was probably time for him to move on when he got fired anyway.

We need more athletic players….. literally every time we get beat I say it over and over again. It’s either skill or athleticism. Most of the time it looks like we just kick the ball and have a terrible first touch. Also it looks like their forwards can just streak by our midfield and fullbacks.

@Menace Sockeyes

I am finally coming around to this and it sucks. We have allllll these guys playing in Europe. We make fun of MLS players. We'll guess what?
Musah- doesn't play at Milan
Weah- can't play as a forward, only as an outside back unless off the bench for Juve.
Adams- wasn't healthy all year with Bournmouth, didn't play almost all year.
Turner- got benched at Nottingham Forest... twice. Part of it for poor distribution.
Horvath- behind Turner who was benched at Nottingham Forest
Reyna- Loaned to Nottingham Forest
Pepi- not a regular player at PSV.
Richards- in and out of the lineup at Crystal Palace, even forced to play as a mid!?!? His passing did not show me he can do that.
Aaronson- Never plays for Union Berlin

The only guys who play regular minutes:
Tillman at PSV
Dest at PSV
Pulisic at AC Milan
McKinnie at Juve
McKenzie at wherever he is...
Wright at Coventry (2nd division)
Sargent at Norwich (2nd division)
Scally at Gladbach
Robinson at Fulham
Ream at Fulham
CCV at Celtic

So we have out of that list: 1 forward, 2 midfielders, 6 defenders getting regular minutes in Europe in big leagues.

That's it...

The simple truth is that we are not as good as everyone, including me!!, thought we were.

Jurgen's biggest mistake was not biting the bullet and swallowing his pride and keeping Donovan on the World Cup squad in 14. It salted the Earth with a lot of people, including players, and I think in a lot of ways kept people around the organization from buying in. Then again, 4-6 years is about all you get out of a World Cup coach so it was probably time for him to move on when he got fired anyway.

Wrong Jurgen... that was Klinsmann. Klopp coached at Liverpool most recently.

To clarify for others, this Jurgen is Klinsmann.

Reactions: BioHawk
I am finally coming around to this and it sucks. We have allllll these guys playing in Europe. We make fun of MLS players. We'll guess what?
Weah- doesn't play at Juventus
Turner- got benched at Nottingham Forest... twice. Part of it for poor distribution.
Richards- in and out of the lineup at Crystal Palace, even forced to play as a mid!?!? His passing did not show me he can do that.

Tillman at PSV
Dest at PSV
Pulisic at AC Milan
Scally at Gladbach
Robinson at Fulham
Ream at Fulham
CCV at Celtic

So we have out of that list: 1 forward, 1 midfielder, 5 defenders getting regular minutes in Europe in big leagues.

That's it...

The simple truth is that we are not as good as everyone, including me!!, thought we were.
This is a good post. Also, I think the fact that teams with MLS heavy rosters did not get grouped is important too. Also, when the US National team had MLS heavy rosters they also did not get grouped. In fact, they were non-called handball away from the World Cup semi-finals. As it turns out, actually playing is far more important than where the playing is. Maybe we should stop being upset if McKinnie wants to come home to play. Donovan played in the MLS and routinely was the best player on the field against teams with heavy premier league rosters.

I fear I’m really going to miss Klopp at Liverpool. That guy is beloved at Anfield.

Weah- can't play as a forward, only as an outside back unless off the bench for Juve.

Tillman at PSV
Dest at PSV
Pulisic at AC Milan
McKinnie at Juve
McKenzie at wherever he is...
Scally at Gladbach
Robinson at Fulham
Ream at Fulham
CCV at Celtic

So we have out of that list: 1 forward, 2 midfielders, 6 defenders getting regular minutes in Europe in big leagues.

That's it...

None of those players are missing time due to lack of athleticism: inexperience due to youth, injury, and technical skill are all much bigger issues with our roster.

None of those players are missing time due to lack of athleticism: inexperience due to youth, injury, and technical skill are all much bigger issues with our roster.

I agree, that wasn't what I was arguing.
I think our athleticism is fine.

However, I'd almost take away some athleticism for someone who can routinely finish (Balogun could still be that guy but forgot in my first post who doesn't play at Monaco). Or someone with some grit. Or someone with some skill. I miss Clint Dempsey who did all 3.

This is a good post. Also, I think the fact that teams with MLS heavy rosters did not get grouped is important too. Also, when the US National team had MLS heavy rosters they also did not get grouped. In fact, they were non-called handball away from the World Cup semi-finals. As it turns out, actually playing is far more important than where the playing is. Maybe we should stop being upset if McKinnie wants to come home to play. Donovan played in the MLS and routinely was the best player on the field against teams with heavy premier league rosters.
AMEN! And Donovan walked on loan to both Bayern Munich and Everton seamlessly from MLS. Even won a player of the month award for two different spells.

I agree, that wasn't what I was arguing.
I think our athleticism is fine.

However, I'd almost take away some athleticism for someone who can routinely finish (Balogun could still be that guy but forgot in my first post who doesn't play at Monaco). Or someone with some grit. Or someone with some skill. I miss Clint Dempsey who did all 3.
YES! Grit is so underrated and attitude are so underrated. And yes, we haven’t had that player with all three since Dempsey and Donovan.

Confidence is confidence.

Reactions: BioHawk
This, over and over and over.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Everyone wants Klopp but does he want us?
Get on a flight today and find out tomorrow. He’s charismatic and would be a star at the WC here with media and fans. He loves the game, but the basically year round grid of the EPL was wearing on him. The National team only plays a couple of games here and there and then a summer tournament over a couple weeks. This would get him on the sidelines again with only a fraction of time committed vs EPL requires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT