ADVERTISEMENT

The Vehicle Gods Hate Me

I'm getting ready to buy a car, and had seriously flirted with the idea of getting an European import like an Audi. After reading this thread, I'll probably stick with Acura, or maybe a Lexus.
I have had Audis since 2002 and they have all been great. I stick to a pretty simple plan. I buy one that is 2-3 years old with as low of mileage as possible and keep up with maintenance. When I buy, I look all over the country. My last two vehicles were purchased for about $3k less than I would pay locally and I paid about $800 to have them trucked in.

I have two solid mechanics that can handle the routine stuff for much cheaper than the dealer. If something catastrophic happens, I also have two German car shops I can get quotes through along with the dealers. My current car is ten years old with 118k miles. I could still sell it easily for $15-$16k. I am not particular about much. I couldn't care less about clothes, shoes, sunglasses, watches, etc. I do like to drive a nice car because I spend quite a bit of time in it. It makes those five-hour drives to Iowa a lot of fun.

My last two vehicles were purchased for about $3k less than I would pay locally and I paid about $800 to have them trucked in.
Yup

Only issue is buying sight-unseen w/o a test drive; if you can get an independent mechanic to check them over, it's still an overall cost savings. I saved $5-6K on my last car purchase buying in Iowa and shipping to CO.

My Ford has been at the the dealership since March 15th. It has not been looked at, and I'm still 12th in line for a loaner. This dealership claims "Car must be on site to be in que". So glad I booked an appointment for the 15th

Meanwhile day 12 of the rental car out of pocket...$1100 even before the car is looked at..
Where do you live? My gosh that’s crazy and if you’re in a large urban area there have to be several Ford dealerships competing for service options.

Reactions: Kelsers
My first Volvo. I loved that car.

1960-Volvo-PV544.jpg

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Yup

Only issue is buying sight-unseen w/o a test drive; if you can get an independent mechanic to check them over, it's still an overall cost savings. I saved $5-6K on my last car purchase buying in Iowa and shipping to CO.
Aren't cars more rust free in Colorado?

I don't laugh about car shit, it's no joke. My Audi S6 is ten years old (118,000 miles) and I have put $4,500 into it since last fall with a couple other things still looming. It sucks. Going to try to hold out another year for my next upgrade.

Typical German junk. Beautiful cars with unmatched refinement. All while being impossible to trust out of warranty.

Reactions: jasonrann
So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Basically more than the value of the vehicle.

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Just posted to vent and let you fine people laugh at my expense 😁

Do you do all the recommended services?

My first Volvo. I loved that car.

1960-Volvo-PV544.jpg
One of my friends in college had that car. We called it The Roach. For several reasons. She liked throwing her empty food bags in the back seat. I got in once and got out fast. Let’s just say something was always moving in that car. 🪳🕷️

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
I have had Audis since 2002 and they have all been great. I stick to a pretty simple plan. I buy one that is 2-3 years old with as low of mileage as possible and keep up with maintenance. When I buy, I look all over the country. My last two vehicles were purchased for about $3k less than I would pay locally and I paid about $800 to have them trucked in.

I have two solid mechanics that can handle the routine stuff for much cheaper than the dealer. If something catastrophic happens, I also have two German car shops I can get quotes through along with the dealers. My current car is ten years old with 118k miles. I could still sell it easily for $15-$16k. I am not particular about much. I couldn't care less about clothes, shoes, sunglasses, watches, etc. I do like to drive a nice car because I spend quite a bit of time in it. It makes those five-hour drives to Iowa a lot of fun.

You remind me of my dad. He loved BMWs and had a number of them while I was growing up. He was pretty skilled with his wrenches, also. I think that was partly why he didn’t mind the maintenance they required.

Reactions: jasonrann
So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Basically more than the value of the vehicle.

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Just posted to vent and let you fine people laugh at my expense 😁

How many miles on the XC60?

I'm getting ready to buy a car, and had seriously flirted with the idea of getting an European import like an Audi. After reading this thread, I'll probably stick with Acura, or maybe a Lexus.

What are you looking for in the car? Do you do a lot of highway driving?

Thread makes me sick thinking I’m going to be buying my kid their first car soon. Not spending a lot - because I’m poor- but also dreading all the headaches that will come from a used / slightly high mileage car

Thread makes me sick thinking I’m going to be buying my kid their first car soon. Not spending a lot - because I’m poor- but also dreading all the headaches that will come from a used / slightly high mileage car
Find a 2002-2006 Honda CR-V AWD with 200k (or more/less) - such a simple, reliable, go anywhere vehicle that still looks modern enough and has the prerequisites of airbags/ABS/Trac control. We have over 300k on my kids and I'd drive it anywhere. Thing is a blast to putz around in during snow storms. Little mountain goat.

Lotta people know their greatness though - even with 200k, people are asking 4-5k for them. I saw one in Des Moines a while back with over 500k on it. Guy was still asking like $3500 - probably didn't get it, but still.

Reactions: TennNole17
Aren't cars more rust free in Colorado?
Things coming off a 2-3 yr lease, doesn't really matter all that much. Older vehicles, possibly.

I bought from a dealer in Eastern IA and there were no places within 200 miles that would service the car (Chicago or Des Moines). After I got it here, I found out it had a 3 yr extended warranty, so I got it dealer serviced for free for 3 years, plus the >$5k savings.

Reactions: Kelsers
That's about when my 325i transmission started slipping.
Only that car used a GM transmission that was quoted for $3500-4k replacement.
Which would have been well worth it with how nice that vehicle still was.

I'd put a new convertible top on it and replaced some of the worn leather in it and its paint was pretty much pristine.

I think I sold that as-is for around $4500 at ~20 yrs old, and the buyer knew the transmission would need replacement and I had given him the quote(s) I had for that repair.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
So let us know how it is owning a 2nd Tesla when your emotional hate for ICE cars passes and you begin making rational decisions.

Id find a tranny from a wrecked Volvo and install it myself. If it needs programming afterwards, then I'd pay for an hour of labor at Volvo and have it done. I realize that not everyone can do their own repairs, but an 11k quote can be good motivation for some learning.

You'd probably have to spend a fortune on special tools.

So let us know how it is owning a 2nd Tesla when your emotional hate for ICE cars passes and you begin making rational decisions.
He lives in hurricane country. I think keeping an ICE vehicle for a while is still valid. Probably not a lot of charging stations in Alabama/Miss where he could run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT