ADVERTISEMENT

The Vehicle Gods Hate Me

If you don't drive a Toyota or Honda, I have zero empathy.

Newer generation Hondas have lots of gremlins.

My coworker, who has never driven anything in her adult life besides a Toyota Camry, got a lemon a few years ago. Toyota eventually had to give her a new one.

All cars can suck.

But Hondas in the 2010-2020 range are indeed bulletproof.

Reactions: goldmom
So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Basically more than the value of the vehicle.

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Just posted to vent and let you fine people laugh at my expense 😁

I came home this morning and the furnace wasn’t working. The furnace is 14 months old! Called the repairman. A switch had burned out and needed replaced. Warranty covered the part…. Not the labor. 90 minutes later, I put $336 (labor) on my credit card. Kick some more…

I came home this morning and the furnace wasn’t working. The furnace is 14 months old! Called the repairman. A switch had burned out and needed replaced. Warranty covered the part…. Not the labor. 90 minutes later, I put $336 (labor) on my credit card. Kick some more…

We had to get a new pool pump in January ($1,500) and a new control unit for the upstairs air conditioner two weeks ago (another $1,500). And we had to pay a $200 "emergency call" fee on top of that because they came out on a Saturday.

They just roll up here and take a look at Tradition Manor and their "fees" instantly go up.

We had to get a new pool pump in January ($1,500) and a new control unit for the upstairs air conditioner here at Tradition Manor two weeks ago (another $1,500). And we had to pay a $200 "emergency call" fee on top of that because they came out on a Saturday.
I plan on paying my “trip charge” as I was promised I bought the winning Powerball ticket earlier today. What’s your plan?

If you don't drive a Toyota or Honda, I have zero empathy.
Lexus, Toyota, & Honda for the main family hauler's. 150k, 205k, & 301k miles respectively.

They just can't be beat.

Jag convertible for the "what the hell, you only live once" car.

Similarly, we received a free 2013 328 from my parents a few years ago. It was immaculately maintained and lived in the south for 10 years with no winters before making its way to Iowa. I have more god damn money in that car it makes my eyes tear up.
Yep, either lease or trade after 3 years any BMW or Audi... you might roll the dice and get lucky but typically not.

I swore off Volvos after my S60R needed a new headlight. Had a problem with high beams staying on, turns out the high to low is just a rotating servo that needed replacement. However, the headlight unit was a single unit and was @$1600 to replace the whole thing.

Great car to drive, shit car to maintain.

Like others have said get a Honda or Toyota. I personally have a Ridgeline and love it. Those 2 manufacturers plus cockroaches is what will survive WW3. They proved it on Mythbusters.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Insert joke about a wannabe pick up.... :)
Just for banter sake I do get the appeal of owning a Tundra, Silverado, F150 or other similar full size pickups. I will say though in my experience over half the people driving those vehicles are either awful drivers or cannot pull into a parking spot without doing a 19 point turn.

Just for banter sake I do get the appeal of owning a Tundra, Silverado, F150 or other similar full size pickups. I will say though in my experience over half the people driving those vehicles are either awful drivers or cannot pull into a parking spot without doing a 19 point turn.

Hahaha, snce we moved to IL, I have been struck by a number of lifestyle differences, but 2 things jumped out. Firstly, how many pickups there are here and secondly, the parking spots are definitely larger than the ones in Colorado. I am SURE these two things are related but have no actual evidence.

If I didn't need a one-ton for my camper and car hauler, I'd definitely go smaller. Until I have to pay a repair bill, I love my diesel.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
So….a few months back I sold the Ferrari Van. (2001 Dodge Caravan that my coworkers stuck Ferrari stickers on…and I left on)

Bought a Tesla Model 3 for the wife and took over the 2016 Volvo XC 60 as my main mode of transportation to work and long trips. Figured it’d be good for another 4 or 5 years.

Any who….this week it starts having transmission issues. Well this escalated quite quickly to needing a new transmission in a couple days time.

Estimated cost 11K

Basically more than the value of the vehicle.

Looks like I’m gonna buy another vehicle. Even though I’m fabulously wealthy like everyone on GIAHORT it’s quite the kick to the gonads 😢

Just posted to vent and let you fine people laugh at my expense 😁

My Ford has been at the the dealership since March 15th. It has not been looked at, and I'm still 12th in line for a loaner. This dealership claims "Car must be on site to be in que". So glad I booked an appointment for the 15th

Meanwhile day 12 of the rental car out of pocket...$1100 even before the car is looked at..

I think you've gotten off cheap for a 10 year old Audi.

Similarly, we received a free 2013 328 from my parents a few years ago. It was immaculately maintained and lived in the south for 10 years with no winters before making its way to Iowa. I have more god damn money in that car it makes my eyes tear up.
Key is having a mechanic. A buddy of mine did my brakes/rotors for me a couple months ago. He charged me 1/3 what the dealer wanted. I also found a local mechanic to help with a cylinder misfire issue about a month ago. I got that done for about 1/4 of the dealer charge.

Switch, or igniter, or ignition sensor?

Those are all $10-20 parts, and very easily DIY stuff. Most of your newer furnaces are all electronic ignition (no pilot lights, anymore).

I have both a spare ignition sensor and igniter for my furnace, so if either fails I can swap the new one in, in minutes. I've cleaned off the ignition sensor annually, as otherwise it carbons-up and will issue an "ignition fail" code and not run. 2 min of cleaning that off with a Brillo pad or light sandpaper has worked for years so far... (that's just a high-temp thermistor that needs to react very quickly to prevent un-ignited gas buildup, so even a thin layer of carbon will delay sensing long enough to throw that code)

Well worth digging into the internets on common furnace probs, because you'll eat $100-150 for the service call, pay 2x-3x for the part cost and another $100 or more for the 1 hr+ service. Anything more serious than those basic parts, though, you probably need the repair guy (relays, blower fans, etc)

My next furnace will probably be a heat-pump; but those are probably MUCH less user-service-friendly than the current gas appliances...

Reactions: funksouljon
Id find a tranny from a wrecked Volvo and install it myself. If it needs programming afterwards, then I'd pay for an hour of labor at Volvo and have it done. I realize that not everyone can do their own repairs, but an 11k quote can be good motivation for some learning.

Hahaha, snce we moved to IL, I have been struck by a number of lifestyle differences, but 2 things jumped out. Firstly, how many pickups there are here and secondly, the parking spots are definitely larger than the ones in Colorado. I am SURE these two things are related but have no actual evidence.

If I didn't need a one-ton for my camper and car hauler, I'd definitely go smaller. Until I have to pay a repair bill, I love my diesel.
I wonder if that is a true correlation or not lol. I don't need a big pickup because I really only haul dump runs, cardboard to the local recycling dump or furniture. I went from a truck, to a Outlander, and back to a truck which is now the Ridgeline.
Main reason being is when I had my Outlander I absolutely despised relying on someone with a truck or making calls to line up a truck when I needed help. I told myself never again.

My Ford has been at the the dealership since March 15th. It has not been looked at, and I'm still 12th in line for a loaner. This dealership claims "Car must be on site to be in que". So glad I booked an appointment for the 15th

Meanwhile day 12 of the rental car out of pocket...$1100 even before the car is looked at..
I don't know if they are going full Boeing but I've heard nothing but awful things about Ford the past couple years. And just for reference I'm not some Ford hater that owns 2+ Chevy's

Reactions: TennNole17
I don't know if they are going full Boeing but I've heard nothing but awful things about Ford the past couple years. And just for reference I'm not some Ford hater that owns 2+ Chevy's
I genuinely don't understand the model they have here.
The appointment I made was pointless. I don't understand how most people can be without their vehicle for weeks on end. Why can't they just call me a day before they can look at it?

Reactions: ButtersHawk

Bummer, that’s a kick in the dick…

• Sad
Reactions: TennNole17
This thread is a prime example of what "right to repair" laws are intended to avoid.

While both parties seem poised to support this, I'd pay attention to which legislators are actually doing anything about it. Generally, the Dems have been more "consumer friendly" on topics like this. While "free market" Republicans actually SHOULD be supporting it, that's not the direction they've really trended these days...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT