ADVERTISEMENT

Mercedez vs Lexus/Acura

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
looking for some opinions:

i'mn not in the market right now, but starting to put the selling points together for the wife (this can be a 2-3 year process). considering getting an MB sedan for the next car (i've always wanted one), but feel like i should check out lexus and acura as well.

curious what the performance/durability of each (vs each other) looks like. i mean, the MB would be my wish, but if it has issues and becomes a maintanence cost, where the lexus is essentially a high-end toyota that will go for 200k, easy - seems like i should take that into advisement as well.

any rules of thumb on this topic?

The human traffickers prefer Mercedes Benz.

You might look at BMW too.

Toyota driver here, so I am likely biased toward the Lexus. Also, I know almost nothing about MB or Acura, so my opinion means little. You're welcome!

First, simply looking around while driving (in Iowa), it seems that the number of Lexus cars outnumber MB by 20 or 25 to 1. Maybe that has nothing to do with the cars themselves - maybe it;s easier to buy a Lexus here than a MB. IDK.

Second, I hear horror stories about how expensive it is to fix German cars (MB, VW, BMW). I don't hear that about the Japanese cars.

Third, I love cars, and believe that the car you buy is a personal experience that you can't always explain with logic. If you've always wanted a MB, get one. The heart wants what the heart wants.

I owned an Acura TSX. It was nice and a good vehicle for the first 75k miles. After that the quality dropped, rattles, road noise, repairs, etc. I sold it with 150k miles and was glad to get rid of it.

I've owned Toyota, Acura, Volvo and GM. For what it's worth, I currently drive a Subaru Legacy and with 90k miles it's by far the highest quality car product I've owned.

With Audi/MB/BMW, the over-engineering electrically is what is frustrating. Sensors, switches...frustrating.

But when they're running correct, I'll take them every time over any other country's vehicles.

My BMW's are 2006 and 2002...and they are still whisper quiet, no rattles, immensely comfortable, never take a bad step while driving them. But yeah, repairs...they usually ain't cheap/affordable unless you do them yourself - which I try to do as much as possible because a lot of stuff is quite easy to fix. And the engines/transmissions/axles have been bulletproof over 300k miles between them. But the periphery stuff...they wear out like most all makes/models.

It's not that I don't like Toyota/Lexus, not at all. They tend to be nearly bulletproof. My favorite line about them is "they'll bore you with how reliable they are".

I just prefer a bit more "exciting" vehicle.

LOVE driving them. Just a pleasure to drive. They have their quirks, and also some things that are common failure points across the line...but I bought used and got great deals, so my total cost all in through the years has been palatable overall.

My bet is MB/Audi are similar. Good deals are where you find them, and how you maintain them matters (like all vehicles).

looking for some opinions:

i'mn not in the market right now, but starting to put the selling points together for the wife (this can be a 2-3 year process). considering getting an MB sedan for the next car (i've always wanted one), but feel like i should check out lexus and acura as well.

curious what the performance/durability of each (vs each other) looks like. i mean, the MB would be my wish, but if it has issues and becomes a maintanence cost, where the lexus is essentially a high-end toyota that will go for 200k, easy - seems like i should take that into advisement as well.

any rules of thumb on this topic?
Is a “Mercedez” made in Spain or Brazil? Is it a sister company to Mercedes?
They are all very nice cars. They are all quite pricey. They all will start having some problems after 50k miles. German autos have the rep of being over engineered and over-priced.....the Japanese are rapidly catching up!

Reactions: The Tradition
I’m really starting to hate my wife’s Mercedes GL. It’s in the shop again today. Coolant leaks, air suspension problems, $400 oil changes...the list never ends.

Have a Lexus RX 350. 2nd one that I have owned. These are great vehicles. Hardly any maintenance.

I have rode in the Mercedes suv version and it is not at comfortable and the ergonomic layout is piss poor. The stupid shifter is so ****ing maddening to use.

Like people have said the BMW is also very expensive to maintain.

My wife’s (no pic) Volvo XC90 is the most comfortable car I’ve driven/ridden in. Drives nice and is supposed to be safe. Never had a real issue with either of them, but I know they can get $$$ to fix and finding a place to fix them is more difficult. FWIW.

Acura is a Honda, just “fancied”
The “Lexus” is a fancied Toyota....
Ain’t it?
The “Infinity” is a dressed up Nissan....
A Caddy is a dressed up Buick...which is a dressed up Chevy...right?
Basically.
Acura > Honda
Bentley > Audi > VW
Infinity > Nissan
Lexus > Toyota
Lincoln > Ford
Genesis > Hyundai
Maybach > Mercedes

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonrann
First thing would be to spell Mercedes correctly. Nothing offends me more than idiots pronouncing it "Porche." It's a Porschaaaaaaa auf Deutsch. Go sit on a porch, drive a Porsche (ahhh).

Lexus/Toyota have dominated J.D. Power dependability surveys for years.
Lexus vehicles can also be serviced by Toyota which is a big convenience.

slide1_64.jpg

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
Meh. They have slipped quite a bit lately.

Plus, they are having some major issues with the CRV and a few other models as well.

The 9 speed ZF transmissions are getting lots of complaints. I have one in my Odyssey and it is a step down compared to the 6 speed in my older Ridgeline. But I had a rental 2020 Buick Enclave and its 9 speed made me appreciate the Odyssey

First thing would be to spell Mercedes correctly. Nothing offends me more than idiots pronouncing it "Porche." It's a Porschaaaaaaa auf Deutsch. Go sit on a porch, drive a Porsche (ahhh).
well here in 'Merica we sit on the PORCH, not the Poschaaaaaaaaaaa!
They may sell Porshaaaaa's in Europe...here in Trump's 'Merica, we buy Porches! :D

Reactions: GOHOX69
well here in 'Merica we sit on the PORCH, not the Poschaaaaaaaaaaa!
They may sell Porshaaaaa's in Europe...here in Trump's 'Merica, we buy Porches! :D
Come on man, it's still born in Deutschland. If you're rich (and who isn't on HROT) at least pronounce the damn car correctly :)

Here are the last three cars purchases in my household.

2011 BMW 335i sedan
2016 Mercedes GLE 350
2018 Lexus ES350

Without question the BMW was the most fun to drive. Small little sedan with 300hp going to the rear wheels. It was purchased new while my wife was stationed in Germany. Was fun to drive it like it should be for three years. We had no problems with it for almost 7 years until the ac started to go. We got rid of it earlier than what we wanted, but it was going to be traded for a larger vehicle as we had a kid on the way.

The GLE is a nice car. I like driving the BMW X5 better but the Benz has more interior space and is a little more refined on the inside. It is the family car. I have had it for 40 months and 29,000 miles. No issues besides the horn crapping out.

The Lexus replaced the BMW. We were rushed into buying a car. My wife was in her third trimester when the ac started to go on the BMW. Plus it was July in the desert. She was down to the Lexus and a BMW X3. Lexus was updating the ES from 18 to 19 so we got a very good deal on it. It is a very nice car. Nothing jumps out with it. Just a nice sedan. Driving it is sort of boring though. Smooth and quiet but the Germans do a better job with drive quality especially compared to a regular ES350. If I could do it over I would have looked at a GS or the F type. But it is the wife’s car and she is happy.

Going forward we will always have a bigger family car such as a crossover, minivan or SUV. When it comes time to replace the Lexus it will be for another sports sedan or possibly a Tesla.

Here are the last three cars purchases in my household.

2011 BMW 335i sedan
2016 Mercedes GLE 350
2018 Lexus ES350

Without question the BMW was the most fun to drive. Small little sedan with 300hp going to the rear wheels. It was purchased new while my wife was stationed in Germany. Was fun to drive it like it should be for three years. We had no problems with it for almost 7 years until the ac started to go. We got rid of it earlier than what we wanted, but it was going to be traded for a larger vehicle as we had a kid on the way.

The GLE is a nice car. I like driving the BMW X5 better but the Benz has more interior space and is a little more refined on the inside. It is the family car. I have had it for 40 months and 29,000 miles. No issues besides the horn crapping out.

The Lexus replaced the BMW. We were rushed into buying a car. My wife was in her third trimester when the ac started to go on the BMW. Plus it was July in the desert. She was down to the Lexus and a BMW X3. Lexus was updating the ES from 18 to 19 so we got a very good deal on it. It is a very nice car. Nothing jumps out with it. Just a nice sedan. Driving it is sort of boring though. Smooth and quiet but the Germans do a better job with drive quality especially compared to a regular ES350. If I could do it over I would have looked at a GS or the F type. But it is the wife’s car and she is happy.

Going forward we will always have a bigger family car such as a crossover, minivan or SUV. When it comes time to replace the Lexus it will be for another sports sedan or possibly a Tesla.

When you bought the BMW did you get a driving certificate officially advising everyone you are an asshole driver? BMW driver's enjoy a special place in the hearts of Americans. :D They are a nice car though....overpriced and over-engineered but they cant help they are built in Germany. :p

I love my Infiniti but when I cash out I'll buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A guy in my building bought a Lamborghini SUV. Fast but fugly as hell. Looks like a turtle with big tires.

It isn't a Mercedes, but I have had tremendous luck with Audis over the past 20 years, currently on my 5th. I don't do a thing other than scheduled maintenance on them. I buy them around 10k-30k miles and sell anywhere from 100k-130k. The wife (no pic) had had a Honda Pilot for six years. It has 140k miles and she has had zero issues with it. Very dependable.

My current Audi (S6) is a sedan with a V8, 420 hp engine with a turbo. Talk about fun to drive!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
The 9 speed ZF transmissions are getting lots of complaints. I have one in my Odyssey and it is a step down compared to the 6 speed in my older Ridgeline. But I had a rental 2020 Buick Enclave and its 9 speed made me appreciate the Odyssey
Yep. The Pilots with the 9 speed are having issues.

Honda is also having major issues with oil dilution problems in the CRV. Honda also switched to the CVT transmission in a lot of vehicles so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Acura is a Honda, just “fancied”

Is that really a bad thing? My Pilot just hit 160k and has given me zero issues and rides the same as the day I bought it.

Thinking of getting the Acura RDX. Fun little crossover that makes sense for the fam.

I have a 2013 CRV with 170,000 miles and I have had ZERO problems with this car.

Nothing but oil changes, wiper blades, a new battery, tires, filters.... not a single thing has broken or failed to work on this car.

Previously, I had a 2009 Civic that I put 150,000 miles on and the only "repair" I ever had to make on that car was an A/C problem that cost about $100.

I have 170,000 miles on my CRV and zero problems.

*knock wood.
The CRVs pre 2017 are great compact SUVs. However, they used some new technology on the 2017 - current ones and that is causing major issues. I highly doubt you will see many last that long on this new generation.

Honda is extending warranty coverage on more than 1 million late-model Civics and CR-Vs due to an ongoing problem with gasoline dilution of crankcase oil in its 1.5L turbocharged 4-cyl.

When you bought the BMW did you get a driving certificate officially advising everyone you are an asshole driver? BMW driver's enjoy a special place in the hearts of Americans. :D They are a nice car though....overpriced and over-engineered but they cant help they are built in Germany. :p

Like I said it was a blast to drive. Not the most refined car as far was interior compared to a Benz or Lexus but much more fun to drive. If I was to buy a car right now without worrying about fitting in child seats or how much crap I could fit in the trunk it would be a M4. Unfortunately that is a decade plus away from happening. I would not go to @torbee level of douchebag and get a convertible.

Like I said it was a blast to drive. Not the most refined car as far was interior compared to a Benz or Lexus but much more fun to drive. If I was to buy a car right now without worrying about fitting in child seats or how much crap I could fit in the trunk it would be a M4. Unfortunately that is a decade plus away from happening. I would not go to @torbee level of douchebag and get a convertible.
Since everyone assumes I'm an ahole for even having my car, I just drive it like an ahole anyway to let people feel good about their assumptions and because everyone else drives too damn slow and is in my lane. :D

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I haven't really looked at luxury cars in quite a while. With all the "extra crap" you can get in honda/toyota etc these days, what do the "luxury" cars offer that "regular" cars don't? Obviously I haven't drove a honda that handled like my bmw did, but if you're really just looking to drive normal, what is the point these days?

I haven't really looked at luxury cars in quite a while. With all the "extra crap" you can get in honda/toyota etc these days, what do the "luxury" cars offer that "regular" cars don't? Obviously I haven't drove a honda that handled like my bmw did, but if you're really just looking to drive normal, what is the point these days?

You get a better logo badge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT