ADVERTISEMENT

Mercedez vs Lexus/Acura

I love my Infiniti but when I cash out I'll buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A guy in my building bought a Lamborghini SUV. Fast but fugly as hell. Looks like a turtle with big tires.
Man, I just dont keep up enough with "cars" these days! I was really hoping you were joking, then I googled it! :( :bashheadonwall:

People are weird these days....

I haven't really looked at luxury cars in quite a while. With all the "extra crap" you can get in honda/toyota etc these days, what do the "luxury" cars offer that "regular" cars don't?

Well, if you look at Lexus vs. Toyota, there are far more powerful engines available in Lexus vehicles which offer a considerable performance edge. Also, in a Lexus you can get a Mark Levinson audio system. Levinsons are among the world's best automotive audio. Lexus vehicles also come available with superior sound deadening, double pane glass and superior interior quality. Surfaces in a Camry that are hard plastic tend to be soft touch in a Lexus. Small details like plastic trim in a Toyota may be aluminum in a Lexus....etc, etc. Overall, it's just a classic case of getting what you pay for.

Well, if you look at Lexus vs. Toyota, there are far more powerful engines available in Lexus vehicles which offer a considerable performance edge. Also, in a Lexus you can get a Mark Levinson audio system. Levinsons are among the world's best automotive audio. Lexus vehicles also come available with superior sound deadening, double pane glass and superior interior quality. Surfaces in a Camry that are hard plastic tend to be soft touch in a Lexus. Small details like plastic trim in a Toyota may be aluminum in a Lexus....etc, etc. Overall, it's just a classic case of getting what you pay for.

Kinnick works at a Lexus dealership.

That's why I said if you plan to drive normal. Then again what is "normal" these days!

As for the stereo, I would put in one that would be a hell of a lot better than any lexus stereo :D.

Maybe things have changed, but back when I cared to look at luxury cars I don't know if an es300 was really any more quality than a camry. I was really tempted by the Ls series and test drove a few of them. Difference between them and say an avalon was a lot more noticable than the camry/es differences. At least imo.

That's why I said if you plan to drive normal. Then again what is "normal" these days!

As for the stereo, I would put in one that would be a hell of a lot better than any lexus stereo :D.

Maybe things have changed, but back when I cared to look at luxury cars I don't know if an es300 was really any more quality than a camry. I was really tempted by the Ls series and test drove a few of them. Difference between them and say an avalon was a lot more noticable than the camry/es differences. At least imo.

I mostly agree as an ES350 owner. A fully loaded Camry isn’t much different than a mid level ES. Like you said an Avalon compared to a LS or an A class Mercedes compared to the S class is night and day.

The ES will have a few more options than the Camry, won’t depreciate as fast and you get to deal with a Lexus dealer and service department vs Toyota. I get loaner cars, shuttle service, free car washes whenever I want and free parking at the dealership with shuttle service to and from the airport. Not sure if the Toyota dealership offers that.

I haven't really looked at luxury cars in quite a while. With all the "extra crap" you can get in honda/toyota etc these days, what do the "luxury" cars offer that "regular" cars don't? Obviously I haven't drove a honda that handled like my bmw did, but if you're really just looking to drive normal, what is the point these days?
My M4 has a heated steering wheel and little air vents that shoot warm air on your neck when driving with the top down. Bet your Corolla doesn't. :D

Oh, and it does this:

KbQtq8.jpg

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night

I dunno, bro. The LS500 has 23 friggin' speakers. With 2400 watts of power. Sure, you can spend a fortune on high end speakers and amplification. But, the Levinson systems in all Lexus vehicles are tuned specifically for each model. It's a lot more than just throwing big money at a car with 4-8 speakers and adding a sub. You sit in a world of accurate and balanced sound in a high end luxury car.

I enjoy driving. An M4 is a very unique driving experience, for me, it's worth the extra cash. I can totally see why others think it's silly - but hey, you only live once. :)

Driving a BMW is a special experience. My brothers swears by them and I understand why. I've driven all of his cars and I completely get why they're cultish driving cars. My brother's cars had/have a "feel" that my Lexus doesn't. But, I also drive around 200 miles a day and I don't trust a German car to be as reliable. And certainly not as cheap to maintain.

I dunno, bro. The LS500 has 23 friggin' speakers. With 2400 watts of power. Sure, you can spend a fortune on high end speakers and amplification. But, the Levinson systems in all Lexus vehicles are tuned specifically for each model. It's a lot more than just throwing big money at a car with 4-8 speakers and adding a sub. You sit in a world of accurate and balanced sound in a high end luxury car.
Guess I'd have to hear the newest, heard others and certainly wasn't impressed....

I owned an Acura TSX. It was nice and a good vehicle for the first 75k miles. After that the quality dropped, rattles, road noise, repairs, etc. I sold it with 150k miles and was glad to get rid of it.

I've owned Toyota, Acura, Volvo and GM. For what it's worth, I currently drive a Subaru Legacy and with 90k miles it's by far the highest quality car product I've owned.
Wife has a Subaru Outback. Great driving car but the engine and road noise are more than I’m used to w my Highlander, or F-150. My Highlander drove like a new vehicle when we sold it at 150K. Not one rattle.

We have had Mercedes at work. They drive nice but are stupid expensive to service and repair. Example an exterior light went out and it’s not a simple change. Had to go to dealership. Window had a crack and nobody would touch it besides Mercedes dealership due to the electronics running to the mirror. Think that repair was over $2,000

Think we’ve had enough.

Is that really a bad thing? My Pilot just hit 160k and has given me zero issues and rides the same as the day I bought it.

Thinking of getting the Acura RDX. Fun little crossover that makes sense for the fam.
That's what I have. Great car!

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
In my 45 years in the Automotive aftermarket calling on repair shops. I have seen so many of these BMW and Mercedes that look great. But once they get between 80 to 100k miles on them they have many expensive repairs. Run from these cars. Now Toyota/Lexus are great solid vehicles.

Lambo owner previously had a BMW Alpina. That's the only one I've seen in Ioway so far. I love my 4runner for day to day driving. It goes over anything and is beyond dependable.

I love my Infiniti but when I cash out I'll buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A guy in my building bought a Lamborghini SUV. Fast but fugly as hell. Looks like a turtle with big tires.

What in the eff is the point of a Lambo SUV??!?!?!?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Comments seem to be supporting my curiousuty. I’d like an MB a lot, but if I go that route (luxury sedan), I really want a car I can take care of and drive for 10 years.

We have an 9 year old outback now with 150k on it, and the thing drives like day one (maybe louder now than a few years ago). I thought maybe an MB or Lexus would give is the same reliability with better resale, some nice service perks, and a better overall driving experience. Figured if you keep a luxury vehicle for 8-10 years, you get a better value in the end.

Comments seem to be supporting my curiousuty. I’d like an MB a lot, but if I go that route (luxury sedan), I really want a car I can take care of and drive for 10 years.

We have an 9 year old outback now with 150k on it, and the thing drives like day one (maybe louder now than a few years ago). I thought maybe an MB or Lexus would give is the same reliability with better resale, some nice service perks, and a better overall driving experience. Figured if you keep a luxury vehicle for 8-10 years, you get a better value in the end.

Don’t say value. Out-of-warranty you’re going to pay out the Trad for service and repairs on a Mercedes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT