ADVERTISEMENT

Message Board Rumor: Fox offers $2 mil to Clark to take COVID year

One more reason she should go to the WNBA? She had her four years. It's time to pass the baton to the younger players. They came to Iowa to play basketball, too. If Clark comes back for a 5th year, some of them will be sitting on the bench for another year. She will essentially be taking 40 minutes per game and an extra year from other players. One might even say that would be selfish.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, so selfish and not the Iowa way. (Checks roster...). Never mind...Molly Davis, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall currently using their COVID year. With those 3 leaving, there will be plenty of opportunities for McCabe, Affolter, etc to get minutes over the incoming freshman.

I'm sure if you asked any of them, they would prefer to have her on the team for the excitement, sell outs, winning and wide open shots she creates for her teammates.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, so selfish and not the Iowa way. (Checks roster...). Never mind...Molly Davis, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall currently using their COVID year. With those 3 leaving, there will be plenty of opportunities for McCabe, Affolter, etc
spot on, it's okay for others to take their Covid years but not Caitlin? Please... I want to hear the backlash from the haters when she puts up 5000 career points. It will be glorious...lol

Miami Heat Sport GIF by NBA

Is the Bally Sports <insert City/State> even a thing anymore? I thought most teams were bailing on Bally's.
I have never knowingly watched a Bally Sports channel before, so I have no idea. I have also never knowingly watched any game on Facebook, Twitter, Meta VR, CBS-SN, or ION.

Last edited:
And what was the Iowa game TV schedule before CC? And after? This seems to support going to the WNBA. If Iowa women's basketball became a must-view event, it's logical to believe this could happen even more easily @ Indiana.
Not really. Iowa has TV deal structures already in place through the B1G that give Iowa athletics’ broadcast rights to large entities like FOX, NBC and CBS. The WNBA does not. It has small contracts with ESPN and those are on weekdays, mid afternoon in the Summer

Reactions: Tenacious E
And what was the Iowa game TV schedule before CC? And after? This seems to support going to the WNBA. If Iowa women's basketball became a must-view event, it's logical to believe this could happen even more easily @ Indiana.
Unless they do not have any contracts in place, or there are just contracts season-by-season, it's not like you can just change the terms of the deals they have in place. I did not see 2020 information, but for the 2021-2022 season, the women's games were on BTN, FS1, and ESPN 2. For the next season about the same with a smattering of FOX, ESPNU, and ESPN. This year the media rights contracts must have shifted because it has been BTN, BIG+, FS1, FloHoops (early tourney), Fox, and Peacock.

There is no way the network televising the game is going to pay a player on one of the teams. Can you imagine the pushback on games being rigged and the hate she would get from the jaded masses when she gets a call or two.

Just let her finish a great 4 yr career and continue to watch and support her in the WNBA.

In all honesty, I truly hope not, and I hope she moves on to the W. If you think the last month has been bad just wait until next season and the train load of shit she's going to get for "record padding". She's going to get called out by people from many sides probably 10x worse then this year. I don't want this for her, she doesn't deserve to go out that way. I also think thats not how she wants to be remembered. I may very well be in the minority here, and so be it, but I really hope she moves forward to new challenges. Through these 4 years and the next month she'll have given way more of herself then anyone should ever expect. As fans we should realize this is not in her best interest, and I hope the people she listens to for advice feel likewise.
Those fans cheering for "one more year" are thinking about themselves, and not whats best for her, after all she's given in her career...

Agree with most of this post, but completely disagree it not being in her best interest. Between nil and 2 million from fox, how much better would she go financially by heading to the pros?

I do wholeheartedly agree that the vitriol thrown at her would be brutal should she return. Ruthless. I guess they could put an asterisk on the gift he year points added to her point total, but that wouldn’t stop the hate.

CC has played in front of legit crowds for only three years. Her freshman season involved Covid restrictions and relatively empty arenas.

I could see this as being yet another reason that would cause her to want to return.
She should come back to get another year of the college experience and a shot at winning a National Championship. I don't see the horses on this team to help her even get back to the Final 4. The money will be there no matter what she chooses to do.

In all honesty, I truly hope not, and I hope she moves on to the W. If you think the last month has been bad just wait until next season and the train load of shit she's going to get for "record padding". She's going to get called out by people from many sides probably 10x worse then this year. I don't want this for her, she doesn't deserve to go out that way. I also think thats not how she wants to be remembered. I may very well be in the minority here, and so be it, but I really hope she moves forward to new challenges. Through these 4 years and the next month she'll have given way more of herself then anyone should ever expect. As fans we should realize this is not in her best interest, and I hope the people she listens to for advice feel likewise.
Those fans cheering for "one more year" are thinking about themselves, and not whats best for her, after all she's given in her career...
This is a good call out. Over the past month or so, I've become exhausted from all the shit surrounding Caitlin. Sports commentators lying about her stats/age/etc, people claiming running into a fan was purposeful, calling her point stat fraudulent because it hasn't passed that Kansas player, and so on. It's genuinely unbelievable how often she's targeted. Even when fans show the facts, there's this crazy amount of animosity towards her that's just exhausting to see. I can only imagine how she must feel.

It really may be for the best if she moves on.

Is there anyway that she could play both a college season next year then go right to the WNBA? Scheduled games don't appear to overlap.

Is there anyway that she could play both a college season next year then go right to the WNBA? Scheduled games don't appear to overlap.
IF she declares, she would join the WNBA this summer, when the season begins.

If this is true it is a surprising twist to the continuing evolution of NIL. There are a lot of implications to think through before I can form an opinion on this going forward. I will say that I think Caitlin should take it if it's real. I doubt the WNBA is going to offer her those kind of dollars. She would still have most of her big NIL agreements, but WNBA salary would be limited. Exposure might not be as good either, so the media companies might not be so generous as this FOX offer would seem to be.

One of my first thoughts is how this translates to the men's game. The deals with conferences are already struck, so any direct player payments would be targeted to enhance their product. It's one thing to convince a potential lottery pick to stay. It's another thing if the media companies start trying to get top players to move to a team in a conference they have an agreement with. That to me would be horrible for the sport. But it might not be as likely to happen in the men's game, because the lottery picks represent real money. And the sooner they play through those initial contracts, the money get ridiculous for the stars. I was stunned when Tyrese Haliburton got a contract starting at $35.5M for the first year, increasing each year to nearly $47M in the fifth year. He has certainly not disappointed. I don't know if a media company has anywhere near that kind of money floating around to throw at players after paying for the conference rights.

Lots to ponder on this. I'm a bit skeptical it's true, but it won't take long to figure that out. I haven't seen anything reported on Sports Media Watch yet. They are typically on top of these things if it can be confirmed.

Fox running Caitlin commercials during the Illinois/Indiana game right now. Technically congratulating her on the scoring record....but...advertising the brand for next year? ;)

Fox televising the Ohio St game in a couple weeks doesn't hurt either, I suppose.

Fox running Caitlin commercials during the Illinois/Indiana game right now. Technically congratulating her on the scoring record....but...advertising the brand for next year? ;)

Fox televising the Ohio St game in a couple weeks doesn't hurt either, I suppose.
Isn't the Iowa-Indiana game next week on Fox too?

Fox paying Caitlin would be illegal? Guess I don't understand the rules with NIL... Seems they could just say it's an NIL deal
I would think as long as they keep running promo's of her, and they ALREADY are using her likeness, they could most certainly pay her whatever they want.

spot on, it's okay for others to take their Covid years but not Caitlin? Please... I want to hear the backlash from the haters when she puts up 5000 career points. It will be glorious...lol

Miami Heat Sport GIF by NBA
This is why there was preemptive complaining about caitlyn from other coaches. They want her to be gone. She pulls too much press from SC and LSU.

Yes this is common knowledge and people have mentioned this ad nauseum. But I sincerely hope she doesn’t make such a huge decision based on some kid she is dating at 22.

Idk why everyone is convinced she is ready to settle down in Indiana at 22 either. I hope at least a part of her is curious about the wider world. Power to her, whatever decision she makes (and again i don’t see how she can come back at all given our roster situation) but when my friends and I were 22, we were all so, so ready to get out there and experience new things, meet new people, explore and experience life outside the Midwest. It’s kinda weird to me that no one wonders if she is even a bit curious about that possibility…
I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, but I get the impression this is a bit more then, "some kid she is dating". For one their both older, (especially Cmac) then your typical high school or early college romance, and from some of the tweets that have been public they throw the L word around quite a bit. They spend a lot of time together as well, and Connor shows up almost wherever she is.

CBS should pony up some money. They completely missed the Clark gravy train this season, even though they are part of the newly minted Big Ten TV contract. Maybe they'll trade the men's BTT final game with FOX for the women's? :)

I would venture to say there are a lot of high level conversations going on right now and I would assume the participants are of course Caitlin, but also the tv networks, the NBA, Iowa and the NCAA. Caitlin is the unicorn that women's basketball has been waiting for. She is Bird/Magic, Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron all rolled up into one. Not only is she great but she is also white, straight, knows how to speak and does everything right off the court. She doesn't have tattoos and she looks like a normal all-american type of girl. Those traits allow her to be relatable to so many demographics.

Before we start debating what I said, think about it first. This has nothing to do with equality or racism or feminism or sexism. Zero. While you can make rules and laws to make certain things happen, you can never make a rule or law that makes somebody like someone. What made those greats I mentioned above is that they had/have wide appeal and they elevated their sport. If Kobe was Kobe in every sense but it was known he was gay, I would bet my house his popularity would have suffered greatly. If Bird was covered with tattoos and had a gold grill he would not have had the appeal he had. Magic and Jordan had billion dollar smiles and that was just as important as their games. The majority of sports fans are white men, like it or not, and those white men are the ones that support the companies that provide the advertising for the networks and the endorsements and if athletes do not appeal to those white men there is no support. This is the real and ugly truth and the networks and the NBA know this more than anyone. So when a great, once in a generation, player comes along like Caitlin that can elevate an entire sport they are going to do whatever they have to in order for that to happen.
Well said. I'd add that there's nothing stopping the league from putting in some kind of bid or endorsement portfolio for her either. Also people forget that CC signed with Excel mgmt earlier this year. They have many top level athletes in their stable. I would imagine that there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes with Excel beating the bushes for her in the way of lucrative deals. A company like that doesn't sign someone and then sit on their hands.

Agree with most of this post, but completely disagree it not being in her best interest. Between nil and 2 million from fox, how much better would she go financially by heading to the pros?

I do wholeheartedly agree that the vitriol thrown at her would be brutal should she return. Ruthless. I guess they could put an asterisk on the gift he year points added to her point total, but that wouldn’t stop the hate.
My point being NO one here knows just what her agent with Excel mgmt is cooking up for her at the next level. When she signed with them, there was a statement about Excel(who has many top level pro athletes), ushering her brand into her pro career. A company like that doesn't sign someone with her profile, and then just sit on their hands. I'll bet there's a lot in the works we don't know about.

Reactions: VodkaSam
This is a good call out. Over the past month or so, I've become exhausted from all the shit surrounding Caitlin. Sports commentators lying about her stats/age/etc, people claiming running into a fan was purposeful, calling her point stat fraudulent because it hasn't passed that Kansas player, and so on. It's genuinely unbelievable how often she's targeted. Even when fans show the facts, there's this crazy amount of animosity towards her that's just exhausting to see. I can only imagine how she must feel.

It really may be for the best if she moves on.
Caitlin will have to endure as much, if not more, hatred and vitriol in the WNBA. Dan Dakich and Jason Whitlock may be d-bags but they're not wrong that she will be targeted in the W by some black players because she is white and by some LGBTQ player because she is heterosexual and even more because she is open about her Catholic faith. She will have fewer resources in the WNBA to counter being targeted because coaches/GMs aren't going to want to choose sides, especially if it's coming from another star player on the team.

In that regard the decision is a lose/lose for her. I hope she makes the right decision for her. I won't be upset if she leaves but I'd rather she come back because the chances for a National Title go way up next year with an infusion of young talent and players like Syd and TMc seeing more meaningful playing time.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
She should come back to get another year of the college experience and a shot at winning a National Championship. I don't see the horses on this team to help her even get back to the Final 4. The money will be there no matter what she chooses to do.
Wrong, the horses are there THIS YEAR

I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, but I get the impression this is a bit more then, "some kid she is dating". For one their both older, (especially Cmac) then your typical high school or early college romance, and from some of the tweets that have been public they throw the L word around quite a bit. They spend a lot of time together as well, and Connor shows up almost wherever she is.
When I was 22 I told my boyfriend I loved him all the time. He lived in Chicago, I lived in Iowa City. We traveled every weekend to see each other. We talked about having kids. We were together 4 years total. Then we broke up (amicably) when I was 24. I moved to the east coast and now we don’t keep in touch lol. I know few people who are still with the person they dated in college. Even those who got married….lol

Ahh, the classic Iowa "we will be so much better next year when all of the seniors (except Caitlin) are finally gone"....really excited for the first time that works out for us.

Reactions: shudaddy
All she will ever need to say is, “It was 2 million dollars.”

Ahh, the classic Iowa "we will be so much better next year when all of the seniors (except Caitlin) are finally gone"....really excited for the first time that works out for us.
Taylor is a more reliable shooter than Gabby. Syd is already as good as Kate. Hannah will be able to slide to the 4 and Heiden is the true 5 this team is missing. We'll still have solid depth next season. If Caitlin returns, next years team WILL be better. We lose experience but we gain athleticism.

Taylor is a more reliable shooter than Gabby. Syd is already as good as Kate. Hannah will be able to slide to the 4 and Heiden is the true 5 this team is missing. We'll still have solid depth next season. If Caitlin returns, next years team WILL be better. We lose experience but we gain athleticism.
Clark and Stuelke could have a more productive, successful season than Clark and Czinano ever had IMO.

Last edited:
Well said. I'd add that there's nothing stopping the league from putting in some kind of bid or endorsement portfolio for her either. Also people forget that CC signed with Excel mgmt earlier this year. They have many top level athletes in their stable. I would imagine that there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes with Excel beating the bushes for her in the way of lucrative deals. A company like that doesn't sign someone and then sit on their hands.
Throw the BTN in there too, do they throw some money in the pot? If Caitlin goes pro there goes the ratings for B1G WBB. If she uses her 5th year that is going to be like winning the lottery for the BTN, Fox and Peacock. Let alone the NCAA tournament. She is such a cash cow. I would venture to say that Adam Silver is involved too at some level because they know she is going pro at some time, so how can they line it up so that they can utilize her in the best possible way in the best possible location. Like trying to set up a rival, like maybe PB, that way the WNBA can just be a continuation of the college game and thus they attract all those viewers. There is way too much money involved for all these entities to be laissez faire about it.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
When I was 22 I told my boyfriend I loved him all the time. He lived in Chicago, I lived in Iowa City. We traveled every weekend to see each other. We talked about having kids. We were together 4 years total. Then we broke up (amicably) when I was 24. I moved to the east coast and now we don’t keep in touch lol. I know few people who are still with the person they dated in college. Even those who got married….lol
I am 😊- 36 years

Reactions: UptownHawk
Throw the BTN in there too, do they throw some money in the pot? If Caitlin goes pro there goes the ratings for B1G WBB. If she uses her 5th year that is going to be like winning the lottery for the BTN, Fox and Peacock. Let alone the NCAA tournament. She is such a cash cow. I would venture to say that Adam Silver is involved too at some level because they know she is going pro at some time, so how can they line it up so that they can utilize her in the best possible way in the best possible location. Like trying to set up a rival, like maybe PB, that way the WNBA can just be a continuation of the college game and thus they attract all those viewers. There is way too much money involved for all these entities to be laissez faire about it.
Okay, so no one has answered my question about her agent at Excel. They are a power broker for pro athletes. Since so many here seem to think it all comes down to the $$, don't you think that Excel is working on some major deals for her in the league, that might be even bigger. I mean they didn't sign her just for the hell of it, and they knew before hand she would be in the pro's within either one year or two....

How many make 2 mill a year in the WNBA? The highest paid player makes 242k.

Clark and Stuelke could have a more productive, successful season than Clark and Czinano ever had IMO.
We need the 💯 emoji available to react on comments. Def agree w this one^

I think she will and probably should move on to take on a new challenge, but wow… would it be fun if she stayed. 😈

Reactions: shikreto
Okay, so no one has answered my question about her agent at Excel. They are a power broker for pro athletes. Since so many here seem to think it all comes down to the $$, don't you think that Excel is working on some major deals for her in the league, that might be even bigger. I mean they didn't sign her just for the hell of it, and they knew before hand she would be in the pro's within either one year or two....
Oh I am sure her agent is involved. I am just saying this is not a normal agent-player situation. I would say her agent is working with the NCAA, WNBA, BTN, Fox, Peacock/NBC, etc. because all of them want to make her their poster child. I would say the discussions center around what is the best plan of usage for her in order for everyone to get the most out of her. Of course it is Caitlin's decision and it is not all about money, it is all encompassing.

Just look at everyone's motives: NCAA and BTN certainly want her to stay in college. I would presume that Fox/NBC/Peacock and any other media outlet that shows WBB games would want her to stay too. The WNBA, who knows? Maybe they want her to but maybe strategically they want her to stay in school, have another year to try to prep everything around her, then bring her in to the right place next year. But maybe they are ready this year and Indiana is the best place for her, I don't know. But what I do know is that there is a lot of money floating around out there right now and her agent should be having a field day with all of this.

Everyone is in unchartered waters here with the ability of the college athletes to make money. One has to ask, how much power does Caitlin have? She knows she is selling out the visiting arenas. She knows that tv ratings are so elevated just because of her. She knows she sells tickets everywhere. The sky really is the limit for her.

When you really think about it this is truly a unique situation that CC finds herself involved in...

She is clearly a pioneer in the nexus of women's sport explosion and the first true college woman superstar.

What other college athlete has ever created this mania?

Is it sustainable into next year?
Watching Jordan and the Bulls in "Last Dance" in 1996 it was nuts.
Jordan might be the comp for CC.

Just crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT