ADVERTISEMENT

Metcalf and $$$$$$

Aug 17, 2007
Why didn't the HWC pony up the money to keep him around as the RTC coach?

Is the money simply not in the coffers with the HWC?

We are talking 215k it took to get him to Ames. We already have Terry running the HWC and we may already have a plan to bring him back when Tom/Terry retire.

I asked this on another thread, so I'm sorry for the repeat and sorry if it's a dumb question. But did something happen between Iowa/Brands and Metcalf? I get the sense that things are... just different since the trials. Anyone have any insight?

We all wish Brent the best. Great Hawk, and a great guy. I suggest we focus on the positive and the exciting future for Iowa wrestling and the HWC, in partnership with the greatest wrestling fan base in the nation. No individual is bigger than the program. Let's emphasize doing all we can to help put the Hawks back on the top of the heap.

Reactions: IowaFan1414
We are talking 215k it took to get him to Ames. We already have Terry running the HWC and we may already have a plan to bring him back when Tom/Terry retire.

Is that number right? Is this more than the other assistants?

That number is hard for me to believe....thats more than most college head coaches.....he is a graduate assistant? this is a salary for running the RTC? so it's not coming from the University? Sorry alot of questions but find that money shocking.....not suprised he jumped at that opportunity if thats the case....I mean hell whats Terry Brands make 250k ?

I don't know about the number but I heard it is big. He is a volunteer coach for the university so his "salary" isn't coming from the school. It's all coming from the booster money that Dresser is raising. I can't blame him at all for taking that money if it's anywhere near that amount cause I'm sure he wasn't making all that much as developmental coach for USA wrestling

Reactions: natchrlman
I don't know about the number but I heard it is big. He is a volunteer coach for the university so his "salary" isn't coming from the school. It's all coming from the booster money that Dresser is raising. I can't blame him at all for taking that money if it's anywhere near that amount cause I'm sure he wasn't making all that much as developmental coach for USA wrestling
Exactly right about where the money was coming from. I was expecting it to be more in the $150k range which is still a lot. This money is also what makes it very unlikely that he'd leave. The only places he could possibly get this kind of money are head coaching positions or maybe some associate head coaching positions at the absolute top tier wrestling universities.

$215K?!?!?!?!? Wow! Unheard of! This is good for wrestling coaches but not so good for teams outside the top 5-10. There aren't many programs able to pay any of their coaches that kind of money let alone the volunteer coach.

IIRC I thought Terry was paid like around $115k last time the U put out that info. Which doesn't include camps. But that's was the highest Assistant at that point. If the ISU number are correct Pollard literally just raised the bar for all other assistants to demand.

And to piggy back off another thread. IMO I love Zaddick, DSJ and Brent but for that money they could have fished for bigger fish. Are Burroughs, Dake and Taylor all content with less just because they are still competing?

The more and more it sounds, Pollard likely just opened up a checkbook on promises of fundraising and never ending bitterness towards big brother in Iowa City. Whats next, ISU wrestling billboards in Cedar Rapids and Iowa city?

Oh BTW Iowa football spring practice in West Des Moines tomorrow o_O

Reactions: Fan In Black
And to piggy back off another thread. IMO I love Zaddick, DSJ and Brent but for that money they could have fished for bigger fish. Are Burroughs, Dake and Taylor all content with less just because they are still competing?
I think when they're still competing money is a secondary concern. They need enough to live comfortably, but more money isn't what they're after. Taylor is in an amazing place right now for training. He seems to be wrestling the best he ever has and has 2 Olympic champions around his current weight class, not to mention a cadet and junior world champion (Hall). Burroughs also has a world medalist around his weight in Nebraska and also has made plenty of money competing, so don't expect him to leave until he's done competing.

Also, other than Burroughs, I'm not sure if the other guys are bigger gets than Metcalf. Taylor or Dake have never made a world team. Brent's NCAA accomplishments are even with Taylor's, but of course a little bit behind Dake. But, Brent has been on 4 world teams.

IIRC I thought Terry was paid like around $115k last time the U put out that info. Which doesn't include camps. But that's was the highest Assistant at that point. If the ISU number are correct Pollard literally just raised the bar for all other assistants to demand.

The more and more it sounds, Pollard likely just opened up a checkbook on promises of fundraising and never ending bitterness towards big brother in Iowa City. Whats next, ISU wrestling billboards in Cedar Rapids and Iowa city?

Yeah definitely not mad at them for taking that kind of money. I'm also not upset with Brands for not being able to keep them around here.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
For this stage of his career that's outstanding money and good for him...as silly as he looks in his ISU/Mcdonalds shirt....its nice to see a wrestler rewarded with a decent income....the opportunities to make a good living in wrestling are very limited compared to the money sports like baseball.....football and basketball....having all daughters and one that had college offers for softball....I think its a shame some non revenue sport athletes work and compete just as hard if not harder as far as wrestling is concerned and even being at the highest level of that sport there aren't many opportunities to make a living doing it.....good for Brent...Mike and Derek.....now lets kick the clowns asses all over the mat

I talked to someone who said that Zadick's salary is at $200,000. They are putting it all on the line with salaries like that.

I think 115 was about what he started at when Tom got the head coach job and Tom about 150.....I think now Tom is pushing 280 and Terry 250...its public record should be easy to find out

ok looked it up....in 2016 Tom made 359,000 salary.....Terry 153,000....suprised Terry isnt making more....guessing he could if took a high profile head coach job.....thats just salary.....sure he makes more with camps and bonuses

Does anyone know how he did at Praire this past year? How did the kids around his weight do? I seem to think there was a kid that was ranked 2nd at one point and didn't even qualify for states. I'm not saying that's a direct reflection on Metcalf but just saying the amount of money and talk about getting these guys on staff is premature because nobody knows how good of coaches they really are. Just that they are really great guys.

Does anyone know how he did at Praire this past year? How did the kids around his weight do? I seem to think there was a kid that was ranked 2nd at one point and didn't even qualify for states. I'm not saying that's a direct reflection on Metcalf but just saying the amount of money and talk about getting these guys on staff is premature because nobody knows how good of coaches they really are. Just that they are really great guys.
Zadick has alot of experience....St. Johns got a few years...Metcalf is least experienced but USA wrestling thought enough of him to put him on staff....his name carries alot of weight and he's young enough to roll around with the wrestlers....invaluable in that respect....pretty good bet he's going to be a good coach

Meh...Metcalf will be just fine. Dresser and Mike have enough experience to mentor when needed but otherwise should stay hands off and let Metcalf do his thing. I think they will see dividends right away...especially in their handfighting and not letting guys score at the end of periods. The HWWC is going to be a tough beat here real quick...competition is good for the soul as I think Hawkeye Nation has gotten complacent.

wonder what Dresser is making?
With the high salary comes lofty expectations. If they aren't top 2-3 within 4 years. ..there are going to be boosters a little concerned.

they were awful patient with Jackson....albeit at a much lower price tag....I've seen alot of examples of teams in various sports trying to spend their way to success that didn't work....thats for sure....those high salaries arent going to convince recruits to sign on....time will tell

Heck, I heard Dresser was able to get his sidechick a $100,000 to be the secretary. This house of cards is gonna fold fast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT