ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Contract Buyout

I had edited it right before you responded. I listed who I excluded. I could easily be off by a person or two and an exclusion or two was judgement. But the story is the same. Good job pointing to this.

Now who wants to analyze Ryan, Smith and Koll? :)
Yes, I just read through the post where you said you found 15 of 22 finished with their final season as their best NCAA placement. I had 15 of 23 (when excluding ISU guys and guys still competing). It looks like I included Rasheed and you excluded him.

Reactions: mcpat
Yes, I just read through the post where you said you found 15 of 22 finished with their final season as their best NCAA placement. I had 15 of 23 (when excluding ISU guys and guys still competing). It looks like I included Rasheed and you excluded him.
He should have been included. That’s my mistake.

Reactions: wahlberg
So what if a lot of the NLWC were "developed" by Cael et al? Why did they go there in the first place? They were already top level recruits coming in and they saw PSU as the best place to grow and become Olympic and World Champions... I don't believe TnT take a back seat to that. Where Iowa is clearly deficient is in the rest of their staff, and with the HWC athletes... Gilman left because of Lee - Lose gilman, but you have Lee, is a wash in my book if Lee is able to get back to what we thought he would be.. And, the more recent additions of wrestlers to the NLWC (Snyder, Dake etc.) is exactly my point. While NLWC adds Dake, Snyder, etc.. Iowa adds Warner, Marinelli, etc. See the difference yet?
The PSU wrestlers you mentioned went there because of the belief they could achieve their Olympic Dreams by going there. Kirkveliet left Ohio State (do you remember Kirkvliet was at Ohio State, and he left almost immediately after Snyder left... Why, because as a recruit, Kirkvliet went to Ohio State because of his wanting to be around Snyder... The recruit's decision was based on the RTC athlete(s) training there... Which Iowa does not have except for Lee...
you keep supporting my point (other than our disagreement on Tom and Terry hitting the road). BTW, Megaludis is working in finance in Pittsburg and has been finding time to train while still working a real job... he isn't at NLWC. The ultimatum to make is, Tom, you need to make the changes to your staff, or bye, bye.... Tom's stubbornness / loyalty is holding him back. I don't think you will get a better coach, so try and keep him, but have him make the changes he needs to make. If he doesn't make them and adjust, then, bye bye Tom.... Btw, I'm not arrogant, or emotional, just typing out my thoughts...
We agree to some extent. A change needs to be made. The change you want is for Tom to be gone. Clean house from the top down... I want TnT to stay, but they must implement needed changes or else they should be gone. I thought I stated that in my previous post. Make the changes Tom or hit the road.

HWC board members??? What is the mission?
"The Hawkeye Wrestling Club Exists to promote wrestling in Iowa and America by producing honorable elite level athletes through high level wrestling opportunities.

There are very few who can deny the sense of pride felt when one of our nation’s athletes stands atop the podium on the world stage, with a gold medal draped around his neck. Especially when it’s a homegrown talent from the state of Iowa."

Is there such a commitment to Iowa wrestlers that prevents the HWC from recruiting and retaining elite wrestlers who wrestled elsewhere? If so, then expectations of the Iowa program should be downgraded considerably.
Entertaining the Ferrari circus did not and is not helping the cause. If folks don't think parents of major recruits are not factoring that in, it is just more denial.

Maybe you should figure in the more blue chip recruits in happy valley and maybe they didn’t regress in Iowa city but performed above the perceived placement earlier in their career and finished more realistically in the final year

Maybe you should figure in the more blue chip recruits in happy valley and maybe they didn’t regress in Iowa city but performed above the perceived placement earlier in their career and finished more realistically in the final year
What does more blue chip recruits at one school or another have to do with regression? If Iowa guys performed above perceived placement earlier in their careers, why doesn’t the same apply to Penn State guys?

Maybe we get less blue chip recruits because the recruits are watching Iowa guys’ trends of regressing in Brands’ system and they don’t want to be a part of that. Who knows.

Reactions: el dub
What does more blue chip recruits at one school or another have to do with regression? If Iowa guys performed above perceived placement earlier in their careers, why doesn’t the same apply to Penn State guys?

Maybe we get less blue chip recruits because the recruits are watching Iowa guys’ trends of regressing in Brands’ system and they don’t want to be a part of that. Who knows.
Or maybe we get less blue chip recruits because they are tired of people like you ripping on tnt and the athletes

Or maybe we get less blue chip recruits because they are tired of people like you ripping on tnt and the athletes
You don’t really believe that. Besides, I haven’t ripped on the athletes at all. You can classify my criticisms of the tnt system as “ripping on” tnt if it makes you happy, but I haven’t criticized the athletes.

For a tough guy, this excuse-making is so soft that even Snuggles the fabric softener bear is embarrassed for you.

a187672c-ede5-4a5d-bfc3-1f7cfeb9644f.fbd7d9fd26e6889c5f6c154d52783154.jpeg

jfc

Reactions: Lambertt and el dub
A name I haven't seen mentioned is Matt Storniolo. He does a great job with the high academic standards at Northwestern. He is fairly young and has the the head coaching experience. He also has ties to Pa being a State champ from State College.

Wait…what? They are terrible and all his best guys bailed on him.

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Matt Storniolo. He does a great job with the high academic standards at Northwestern. He is fairly young and has the the head coaching experience. He also has ties to Pa being a State champ from State College.
I don’t know about his HS career, but you are on the ball. I almost suggested this last week but knew the smart asses like Spooner would cone out with pitchforks and, well, I didn’t have time for that.

Look at the talent of his recruits with the resources he has had during his tenure at a school with high standards for admissions while situated in a shithole part of the country.

Then pull your head out of your ass.

Storniolo, on average, is at the top of the list of those who have done the most with the least. At Iowa, he could accomplish much. He is a talented, veteran coach who is still young enough to connect with the current generation of wrestlers.

Or, we can stick with, “We’ve got work to do…..We need to get to our offense…..We need to move foward….We need to wrestle our match…..We need to be tough….blah, blah, blah”.

Reactions: el dub
Look at the talent of his recruits with the resources he has had during his tenure at a school with high standards for admissions while situated in a shithole part of the country.

Storniolo, on average, is at the top of the list of those who have done the most with the least. At Iowa, he could accomplish much. He is a talented, veteran coach who is still young enough to connect with the current generation of wrestlers.

Or, we can stick with, “We’ve got work to do…..We need to get to our offense…..We need to move foward….We need to wrestle our match…..We need to be tough….blah, blah, blah”.
Shithole?
Evanston is a nice town. Located on the coast of Lake Michigan. The campus is stunning!

I hope you can make it to Big 10's in 2 years. You will be impressed.

Typical response. There are programs that hope TNT stay in business. It will produce another decade of predictable results. I actually like the Brands passion but it can stymi progress.

yea trashing the program over and over is for sure turning some recruits off.when it gets tough you are supposed to band together not attack like a bunch of jackels. walberg=troll
Or maybe we get less blue chip recruits because they are tired of people like you ripping on tnt

No thanks.

yea trashing the program over and over is for sure turning some recruits off.when it gets tough you are supposed to band together not attack like a bunch of jackels. walberg=troll
Thanks for thinking so highly of me, but I really doubt I’ve got the power to turn any recruit toward or away from any school. Recruits aren’t being turned off from choosing Iowa because of me, but they’re probably smart enough to notice for themselves the things I’ve pointed out. Besides, I haven’t trashed or trolled the program and you know it, you liar. I’ve given reasoned, rational, and honest opinions on what I believe, including what I think the pitfalls are in Brands’ training system. I’ve even backed my thoughts with hard data. I’ve also offered my thoughts on how we can improve.

Maybe we should band together around the program and what’s best for it rather than banding around worshipping Brands and pretending he’s the only one for the job. I want to beat PSU (and everyone else) and I want to do it consistently. You’ll claim you do too, but you obviously don’t want it bad enough to take an honest long look and recognize it ain’t happening with Brands at the helm. If you’re not even tough enough to do that, how can you claim to know what “you are supposed to do when it gets tough”…?

Thanks for thinking so highly of me, but I really doubt I’ve got the power to turn any recruit toward or away from any school. Recruits aren’t being turned off from choosing Iowa because of me, but they’re probably smart enough to notice for themselves the things I’ve pointed out. Besides, I haven’t trashed or trolled the program and you know it, you liar. I’ve given reasoned, rational, and honest opinions on what I believe, including what I think the pitfalls are in Brands’ training system. I’ve even backed my thoughts with hard data. I’ve also offered my thoughts on how we can improve.

Maybe we should band together around the program and what’s best for it rather than banding around worshipping Brands and pretending he’s the only one for the job. I want to beat PSU (and everyone else) and I want to do it consistently. You’ll claim you do too, but you obviously don’t want it bad enough to take an honest long look and recognize it ain’t happening with Brands at the helm. If you’re not even tough enough to do that, how can you claim to know what “you are supposed to do when it gets tough”…?
You really do hate Tom Brands.

You really do hate Tom Brands.
Believe what you want but I really don’t. I just really don’t think he should remain as our head coach. I also really don’t think McCarthy should remain as head coach of the Cowboys, but I don’t care enough about the Cowboys’ success to post about it. Does this mean I must hate Mike McCarthy?

Believe what you want but I really don’t. I just really don’t think he should remain as our head coach. I also really don’t think McCarthy should remain as head coach of the Cowboys, but I don’t care enough about the Cowboys’ success to post about it. Does this mean I must hate Mike McCarthy?
Well let me put it this way, you have a strong dislike for the job he’s doing.

Matt Storniolo is a fine coach. We're talking about the 2nd best wrestling job in the country. He wasn't getting mentioned for good reason.

I enjoyed the last point the most. "I don't like Tom Brands so therefore Storniolo is a good candidate." LOL

Matt Storniolo is a fine coach. We're talking about the 2nd best wrestling job in the country. He wasn't getting mentioned for good reason.

I enjoyed the last point the most. "I don't like Tom Brands so therefore Storniolo is a good candidate." LOL
Did you miss the effin curb stompings we just received? And another is coming.

Yeah, anyone who has demonstrated an ounce of recruiting ability with poor resources and is young enough to relate to the times is worth a shot in the 2nd best wrestling job in the country when our inflexible, clumsy dinosaurs are not only being passed by, but lapped while squandering that position. We’re not even competitive for number 1.

Reactions: jayridescarbon
Storniolo also has a tangential connection to Iowa having wrestled for Ray Brinzer's Angry Fish club back in the day.

Yeah, anyone who has demonstrated an ounce of recruiting ability with poor resources and is young enough to relate to the times is worth a shot in the 2nd best wrestling job in the country when our inflexible, clumsy dinosaurs are not only being passed by, but lapped while squandering that position. We’re not even competitive for number 1.

Do you know who didn’t deliver them? Or really any against anyone? And who’s best wrestlers usually transfer away from him?

Brands underachieving equaling Matt Storniolo being a great coach is the type of bullet proof logic that this board is known for.

Last edited:

Again, I don't think there's anyone better than Tom Brands, but I definitely think our supporting cast needs to be adjusted. We've got Terry and then great guys who are TNT clones. We need diversity on our coaching staff...and I'm not talking men, women, black, white; I'm talking diversity in the wrestling backgrounds whether they come from PSU, Cornell, etc., I don't care. We need guys who can relate to these new recruits we need and we need guys (like Spencer and Kem), who are all about some offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT