ADVERTISEMENT

Methodists and Homosexuality...

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
The issue of homosexuals serving as pastors in the Methodist church is gonna split the Methodist Church wide open. A lesbian pastor in Iowa City is the center of the controversy right now.
It is hard for me to understand how a Church dedicated to the life of Jesus Christ can want to be so exclusionary of its people to the point of expulsion. It is one of the many mysteries of religion to me.

Probably because the Bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. It’s an abomination, and should be rejected. The new and old testaments make this very clear. Any church that accepts homosexuality as being ok and doesn’t speak out against it, isn’t a true Christian church.

Probably because the Bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. It’s an abomination, and should be rejected. The new and old testaments make this very clear. Any church that accepts homosexuality as being ok and doesn’t speak out against it, isn’t a true Christian church.

Meh.

There is no "true" Christian church. There are more flavors than Baskin-Robbins.

Wrong. You’re either adherent to the teachings of the Bible or you’re not. It can be “Baskin-Ribbons’d” up, but it doesn’t change the facts.

Well, I was raised in the UU church and consider myself agnostic, so... I'll bow out of your attempt to define what Christianity is...

It’s defined in the Bible, no man can define it. You or I, you either are or you aren’t. The Bible says what it says. Gays are not accepted. Get out.

The way I understand it, gays (and any other sinners) are forgiven if they simply accept Christ as their savior. (Some Christian churches might require some extra prayers or rosary bead counting, but that's basically the deal).

Reactions: soybean
The way I understand it, gays (and any other sinners) are forgiven if they simply accept Christ as their savior.

You’re forgiven so long as you don’t continue with the sins. With your logic all hitler had to do is simply accept Christ right before he put a bullet in his head, and he’d be in heaven. The Lord knows what’s in ones heart.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
It’s defined in the Bible, no man can define it. You or I, you either are or you aren’t. The Bible says what it says. Gays are not accepted. Get out.

Same book that said a dude walked on water, some other dude parted a sea, yet another dude lived inside a whale for a few days? And a bunch of poors got fed by a couple of carp and some Boone’s Farm? I don’t begrudge anyone for their religion, but the Bible is a book.

Same book that said a dude walked on water, some other dude parted a sea, yet another dude lived inside a whale for a few days? And a bunch of poors got fed by a couple of carp and some Boone’s Farm? I don’t begrudge anyone for their religion, but the Bible is a book.

That’s fine, I know where you’ll be for eternity. Your point, or lack there of, has nothing to do with this debate.

Christianity is a mostly a crock. The universe would be a worse place if the god described in the bible were real. Fortunately it's very obviously man creating God in man's image.

What about the Quran? I see most libs wanting to bring many of those people into our country. They make Christianity seem like a picnic.

I don't have a problem with anyone's religious faith. The vast majority of humanity holds some sort of religious faith, and it brings great joy and comfort to billions of people.

So clearly, humans have a need for spirituality of some sort.

Christianity is certainly a valid path up the mountain toward spirituality, but where the evangelicals lose me is the "Jesus is the only way" stuff.

Would God only admit Christians to Heaven and damn everyone else to hell, no matter how good and pious they are? No, of course not.

I believe there are as many paths up that mountain as there are people, and each of us possesses the power to find our own relationship with God. No book, dogma, church, or religious leader necessary.

That’s fine, I know where you’ll be for eternity. Your point, or lack there of, has nothing to do with this debate.

You know? Do tell! My point has everything to do with this “debate.”

You don’t know anything about what happens for eternity. My point has everything to do with this “debate.”

Reactions: Rudolph
What about the Quran? I see most libs wanting to bring many of those people into our country. They make Christianity seem like a picnic.
Haven't read any of it. Sure seems to be more man made nonsense. God of Abraham has made a lot of revelations that seem to mirror the ideas of the people chosen as the instruments of revelation. Mysterious ways.

Reactions: naturalmwa
It says what it says. Call me every name you like, I’m not the one going to be judged for laying with another man.
If you really need to believe in this stuff, the whole entire point of Jesus is forgiveness. Forgiveness is Christianity in one word. You lie, you cheat, you lust, you are an adulterer, you beat your wife, you steal on your taxes...one sin is no different than any other. You're just a strange poster.

Reactions: soybean
All people are sinners. Those who rebel
against God are sinners who deliberately
sin and allow sin to dominate their lives.

Christians are sinners who have accepted
the crucified and resurrected Christ as their
Lord and Savior. As forgiven people they
no longer allow sin to dominate their lives.

Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
The issue of homosexuals serving as pastors in the Methodist church is gonna split the Methodist Church wide open. A lesbian pastor in Iowa City is the center of the controversy right now.
It is hard for me to understand how a Church dedicated to the life of Jesus Christ can want to be so exclusionary of its people to the point of expulsion. It is one of the many mysteries of religion to me.
Yeah, it is big issue for Methodists right now. There is a huge number of members in Africa (where much of the growth in membership is occurring) that won out at the recent convention, continuing a hard stance on homosexuality.
There are many pastors that are defying this stance, mine included.

Reactions: ghost80
If you really need to believe in this stuff, the whole entire point of Jesus is forgiveness. Forgiveness is Christianity in one word. You lie, you cheat, you lust, you are an adulterer, you beat your wife, you steal on your taxes...one sin is no different than any other. You're just a strange poster.

You’re wrong, of course sins are different. Most sins there is no intent on commuting future sins. Being a homosexual there is clear intent to continue lying with another man. So the thought of forgiveness doesn’t exist in this case. You’re only forgiven for sins you truly repent for, and you can’t repent for a sin you have no intention of not committing anymore.

Reactions: Parker D
You’re wrong, of course sins are different. Most sins there is no intent on commuting future sins. Being a homosexual there is clear intent to continue lying with another man. So the thought of forgiveness doesn’t exist in this case. You’re only forgiven for sins you truly repent for, and you can’t repent for a sin you have no intention of not committing anymore.

Yeah, because NO Christians stop drinking, gambling, chasing women, etc., etc. Only the gay Christians refused to repent.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

By the way... the Good Book bans the practice of usury. How did you purchase your home or your car?

Reactions: PCBHAWK

It’s also clear on eating pork and shellfish, and wearing clothes with multiple fibers. Will you burn in a lake of fire for eternity for those things too?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
You win. I also cast the President of the United States down with the sodomites. He has spent his entire life as an adulterer. He has intentionally chosen this path. May he burn in hell, with you.

Reactions: BelemNole

You do realize that the "Bible" was written by a great deal of white men, not God, over decades? I suppose you ignore that fact.

Please tell me you read strict interpretation of the Bible. We'll all have a field day. My guess is you have never read it, Bot.

You win. I also cast the President of the United States down with the sodomites. He has spent his entire life as an adulterer. He has intentionally chosen this path. May he burn in hell, with you.

That’s fine, as long as he makes America great again before he burns.

You do realize that the "Bible" was written by a great deal of white men, not God, over decades? I suppose you ignore that fact.

Please tell me you read strict interpretation of the Bible. We'll all have a field day. My guess is you have never read it, Bot.

What does the ethnicity of the authors have anything to do with anything? You’ll only have a field day by citing the Old Testament. The New Testament makes it clear that homosexuality is an abomination as well.

Reactions: Parker D

Well I hope you refrain from wearing clothes of two or more fabrics and don’t eat shellfish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT