ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands final thoughts thread. Fire away!

Never said you should worship a teenage athlete. I said you are being you are being judgmental and since you are a man of faith I will remind you to
"Judge not lest ye be judged."

;)
All right, since we have ventured into Bible study...The quote above is from the Sermon on the Mount, and the context is largely one in which "our boy from Nazareth" gives warnings about the unjust standards of the Pharisees, a group who often "judged" folks for not living up to their special "laws." The greater problem was not about judging (or, debating) between right and wrong, good and bad, value judgements that we all make by necessity every day. Rather, their judgments attained the level of condemnation. In other words, they might have said something like, "You don't pray as often as we do, or worship in the style that we do, or give as much money as we do, or eat with ritually clean forks, so we judge you as worthy of nothing less than hell. Have a good day!"

The Apostle Paul, however, wrote to the church in Corinth (that's 1st Corinthians 6:1-3, for those of you following along at home) that judging (but NOT of the condemning kind) was necessary, even a responsibility between church members who were acting like punks. Essentially, he was telling them to get their collective fecal matter together and act like adults when engaging in serious matters of judgment. By the way, the same Greek word for "judge" is used in both contexts (Matthew and 1st Corinthians).

In no way was I trying to "condemn" our hero, Spencer Lee. Far from it. I am proud of him. I show members of my church video clips of him on my smart phone. But I did call into question the wisdom and the possible moral implications of this one action. I just think of all those kids who have their picture taken with him when they go to Hawkeye meets. He is such a positive influence. Is he telling them it's OK to throw away their medals? I hope not. I want Spencer to be a 4-timer in the worst possible way. (I might say I'm praying for him to do so, but that would a religious practice that I "judge" to be very wrong-headed).

Anyway, I appreciate the back and forth. And your graphic rocks, by the way. I may have to print it out and put it on my office door.

All right, since we have ventured into Bible study...The quote above is from the Sermon on the Mount, and the context is largely one in which "our boy from Nazareth" gives warnings about the unjust standards of the Pharisees, a group who often "judged" folks for not living up to their special "laws." The greater problem was not about judging (or, debating) between right and wrong, good and bad, value judgements that we all make by necessity every day. Rather, their judgments attained the level of condemnation. In other words, they might have said something like, "You don't pray as often as we do, or worship in the style that we do, or give as much money as we do, or eat with ritually clean forks, so we judge you as worthy of nothing less than hell. Have a good day!"

The Apostle Paul, however, wrote to the church in Corinth (that's 1st Corinthians 6:1-3, for those of you following along at home) that judging (but NOT of the condemning kind) was necessary, even a responsibility between church members who were acting like punks. Essentially, he was telling them to get their collective fecal matter together and act like adults when engaging in serious matters of judgment. By the way, the same Greek word for "judge" is used in both contexts (Matthew and 1st Corinthians).

In no way was I trying to "condemn" our hero, Spencer Lee. Far from it. I am proud of him. I show members of my church video clips of him on my smart phone. But I did call into question the wisdom and the possible moral implications of this one action. I just think of all those kids who have their picture taken with him when they go to Hawkeye meets. He is such a positive influence. Is he telling them it's OK to throw away their medals? I hope not. I want Spencer to be a 4-timer in the worst possible way. (I might say I'm praying for him to do so, but that would a religious practice that I "judge" to be very wrong-headed).

Anyway, I appreciate the back and forth. And your graphic rocks, by the way. I may have to print it out and put it on my office door.

I agree. I woke up and saw my post to you as snarky. Amazing what some sleep can do :)

I would agree it is open for public interpretation/condemnation (dare I say judgement?) if and only if he did it in a very public venue. I may be wrong but I don't think he meant for anyone to see that. He is a celebrity now and has to keep that in mind. JMO.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk

My thinking is that Lee didnt intend for this information to be made public. It was a thing he needed to do to deal with the loss and move on. It was probably intended to be just be a moment in time and not a thing out in the public. So I dont think this is something that should be held against the young man. Everything else about him is humble, classy and respectable.

Its not what many people would do or handle the situation. Like Chief said above, Lee like kolat, gable, etc are the 1% so they need a little slack when it comes to things like this, I think.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT