ADVERTISEMENT

Miguel Estrada CA state results

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Hawkeye commit Miguel Estrada out of Frontier HS is looking to become a 4X CA state champion. He’s seeded 2nd and dominated his first round opponent from Vacaville HS getting a first period fall. He won his 2nd round match vs a kid from San Clemente HS by tech fall 19-4. He’s got the 7 seed Frost out of national powerhouse Buchanan HS in the quarter finals.

Last edited:
Hawkeye commit Miguel Estrada out of Frontier HS is looking to become a 4X CA state champion. He’s seeded 2nd and dominated his first round opponent from Vacaville HS getting a first period fall. He won his 2nd round match vs a kid from San Clemente HS by tech fall 19-4. He’s got the 7 seed Frost out of national powerhouse Buchanan HS in the quarter finals.

Awesome. Please keep the updates coming when available.

Looked at flo CA state rankings. Estrada is ranked #1 at 150 in front of Mantanona. Then I looked at flo national rankings for 150 and Estrada is 7th and Mantanona is #1. Make it make sense.

• Wow
Reactions: IRONBIRD
I'm Miguel's club coach, I've had Miko "his nickname" since he was 7 years old. This is the best Miko has looked ever. He's very confident and his mindset is great. He's got 1 more warm up match and then will have Laid Root from Poway, who's a UNC commit in the semis. Root has been a bit of a rival since he's MIko's only CA HS loss and Miko beat him in OT in last years state final's. With that said he can't wait for the match. You can watch his quarter finals match today on flo arena. Quarters start today at 1pm PST.

Semis are Saturday morning

Last edited:
I'm Miguel's club coach, I've had Miko "his nickname" since he was 7 years old. This is the best Miko has looked ever. He's very confident and his mindset is great. He's got 1 more warm up match and then will have Laid Root from Poway, who's a UNC commit in the semis. Root has been a bit of a rival since he's MIko's only CA HS loss and Miko beat him in OT in last years state final's. With that said he can't wait for the match. You can watch his quarter finals match today on flo arena. Quarters start today at 1pm PST.

Semis are Saturday morning
Let's go Miko! Bring home #4!

Estrada chooses down and gets ridden for the first 1:05 of the period and escapes. 3-1. Estrada takedown with about :30 left and rides out. Leads 5-1 after 2

Reactions: Torg and nwhawkincr
Opponent must have chose top for the 3rd. Estrada gets ridden the entire 3rd and gives up a stalling point to win 5-2. He will face Laird Root in the semifinals tomorrow. Root won by TF 18-1 in the quarters.

Reactions: WildTurk
Flo has the replays after the match. Just watched. Frost, his opponent, reminded me of an Evan Wick or Shane Griffith. Estrada was never in danger of getting turned but wasn’t really close to getting out in the 3rd. Never got to his feet. Interesting strategy by Frost to ride the entire period just to lose. Guess he figured he had no chance to score on his feet.

Reactions: Chuck C and el dub
Flo has the replays after the match. Just watched. Frost, his opponent, reminded me of an Evan Wick or Shane Griffith. Estrada was never in danger of getting turned but wasn’t really close to getting out in the 3rd. Never got to his feet. Interesting strategy by Frost to ride the entire period just to lose. Guess he figured he had no chance to score on his feet.
Root has something extra to wrestle for in the next round Poway just passed Buchanan in the standings now sit in first place. I I don’t believe is ever won a team title certainly not in recent memory. It would be a huge feat for their team. Cali tournament is tough. Hilton with both Merrill’s, the Cortez bros and Zepeda all dominating are in 3rd.

Reactions: el dub
Root has something extra to wrestle for in the next round Poway just passed Buchanan in the standings now sit in first place. I I don’t believe is ever won a team title certainly not in recent memory. It would be a huge feat for their team. Cali tournament is tough. Hilton with both Merrill’s, the Cortez bros and Zepeda all dominating are in 3rd.

Jeez...didn't Buchanan have 11/13 in the quarters? Thought they were going to run away.

I believe they had 13/14 in the quarters, and 7 of them got beat. Poway and Gilroy competed really well. Poway has 10 into the semis. This tournament always has great individual bouts, but the team title is typically wrapped up pretty early on. Pretty exciting this year.

From an internet article: Poway was the top team in California in 1986, 1999, 2005 and one last time in 2009.

Gilroy has 6 in the semi's. Poway looks to be on their way to a team title, but Buchanan, St John Bosco and Gilroy will be battling them.

Gilroy's 285#er C. Merrill is ranked #2 in the country and has been dominant so far - unfortunately he's slated to go to Okla St.:
F (28sec), F (12 sec), F (3:07)

There are so many teams represented in California's state tournament because of California only having one classification. I counted over 230 teams that sent at least one wrestler to the tournament.

Reactions: el dub
I don’t know squat about Cali wrestling; was Gilroy good before DC became coach there?

Gilroy has 6 in the semi's. Poway looks to be on their way to a team title, but Buchanan, St John Bosco and Gilroy will be battling them.

Gilroy's 285#er C. Merrill is ranked #2 in the country and has been dominant so far - unfortunately he's slated to go to Okla St.:
F (28sec), F (12 sec), F (3:07)
Merrill is a freak!

From an internet article: Poway was the top team in California in 1986, 1999, 2005 and one last time in 2009.
To put things in perspective, in 2009 they won with 140 points. They have over 170 right now and the semi finals haven’t started yet. They have 10 in the semis. Heck the 2nd place team Buchanan has 156 points with 5 in the semis and all 14 of their wrestlers still in contention for the podium. Super teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT