ADVERTISEMENT

Miguel Estrada CA state results

To put things in perspective, in 2009 they won with 140 points. They have over 170 right now and the semi finals haven’t started yet. They have 10 in the semis. Heck the 2nd place team Buchanan has 156 points with 5 in the semis and all 14 of their wrestlers still in contention for the podium. Super teams.
Pretty historic run by Poway as they shattered the scoring record set by Clovis in 2015 (276.5) with a staggering 290 points. They had 12 state placers. 2nd place Buchanan had 13 placers. Pretty amazing run.

Reactions: tosal563
I'm Miguel's club coach, I've had Miko "his nickname" since he was 7 years old. This is the best Miko has looked ever. He's very confident and his mindset is great. He's got 1 more warm up match and then will have Laid Root from Poway, who's a UNC commit in the semis. Root has been a bit of a rival since he's MIko's only CA HS loss and Miko beat him in OT in last years state final's. With that said he can't wait for the match. You can watch his quarter finals match today on flo arena. Quarters start today at 1pm PST.

Semis are Saturday morning
He looked good in the consolation vs the 5 seed. Possibly not having so much pressure helped him open up more. With his height I think he would be most effective as a 141 in college and it's a need weight at Iowa right now. Do you think he could make 141?

He looked good in the consolation vs the 5 seed. Possibly not having so much pressure helped him open up more. With his height I think he would be most effective as a 141 in college and it's a need weight at Iowa right now. Do you think he could make 141?
Someone from the area last year claimed he won’t even make 149. That could be a problem with his height at the next level. But he wasn’t recruited to be a star, not in top 30 pfp, Riggins may have been rated higher.

I'm Miguel's club coach, I've had Miko "his nickname" since he was 7 years old. This is the best Miko has looked ever. He's very confident and his mindset is great. He's got 1 more warm up match and then will have Laid Root from Poway, who's a UNC commit in the semis. Root has been a bit of a rival since he's MIko's only CA HS loss and Miko beat him in OT in last years state final's. With that said he can't wait for the match. You can watch his quarter finals match today on flo arena. Quarters start today at 1pm PST.

Semis are Saturday morning
Just know there are several repetitive bitches that post on here that are almost as bad as the Ped state posters. They call themselves Hawk fans but do nothing but bitch about coaches and athletes. Learn which ones to ignore and realize the majority of fans support every recruit that wants to be a Hawkeye. Those others are miserable middle aged men carrying higher than normal levels of estrogen. The rollercoaster of emotions they display would make a menopausal woman blush.

Just know there are several repetitive bitches that post on here that are almost as bad as the Ped state posters. They call themselves Hawk fans but do nothing but bitch about coaches and athletes. Learn which ones to ignore and realize the majority of fans support every recruit that wants to be a Hawkeye. Those others are miserable middle aged men carrying higher than normal levels of estrogen. The rollercoaster of emotions they display would make a menopausal woman blush.
Ya don't trash recruits. But don't be a bootlicker like Hoyt here. Do you really think you're a badass just because you're more accepting of mediocrity? The "third place isn't terrible" crowd like you is way worse than the sky is falling dorks.

ADS beat RBY. Cael and Co adjusted his strategy to taking away the one arm. The indictment should be on ADS’s coaches for not adjusting to that, not on RBY for using a winning strategy. Scout your opponent and minimize their strength while utilizing your strengths. All coaches should be helping their athletes with that.

ADS beat RBY. Cael and Co adjusted his strategy to taking away the one arm. The indictment should be on ADS’s coaches for not adjusting to that, not on RBY for using a winning strategy. Scout your opponent and minimize their strength while utilizing your strengths. All coaches should be helping their athletes with that.
Speaking of "bootlickers".

Speaking of "bootlickers".
Shame on you. You need to learn how to empathize with people who see things differently. Stow your white privilege and toxic masculinity and treat her with the proper respect she deserves! 😉

Shame on you. You need to learn how to empathize with people who see things differently. Stow your white privilege and toxic masculinity and treat her with the proper respect she deserves! 😉
I apologize.

I think he can be a 141 in college, he walks around at 160. I think with the intensity of the workouts and a disciplined diet he could be a 141 pounder. At that weight he'd be able to enforce his style on opponents at 149 he's at a bit of a disadvantage but you've seen guys like Bono has big time success at 150 that are short. He's taller then Bono.

The 3 point takedown rule will definitely play to his strengths, he needs to improve on the mat for sure. He's wrestling in the Pitt All Star Classic so it's back to training today.

I think he can be a 141 in college, he walks around at 160. I think with the intensity of the workouts and a disciplined diet he could be a 141 pounder. At that weight he'd be able to enforce his style on opponents at 149 he's at a bit of a disadvantage but you've seen guys like Bono has big time success at 150 that are short. He's taller then Bono.

The 3 point takedown rule will definitely play to his strengths, he needs to improve on the mat for sure. He's wrestling in the Pitt All Star Classic so it's back to training today.
That would be ideal for him and the team. Not sure what his body fat is at 150? 141 is a hole unless we get another high level transfer like woods and eirman. I think Block at almost 6 foot and maturing will be lucky to stay a 149.

Who beat him for 3rd? What a weight......
The weight was probably the toughest in CA history, at least the top 4 were.

Mantanona took 1st beating Laird Root 5-4 in the finals
In the semis Mantanona beat Ethan Parco 4-3, Mantanona also beat Parco in OT in the Doc B finals.

Miguel lost to Root in OT 3-1, Miguel was in on probably 5 shots that he didn't finish. Root is real flexible and has real good leg defense. In the finals Root successfully defended 3 shots from Mantanona.

For 3rd Miguel lost again in OT, this time to Parco on the :30 second ride out. Miguel pushed the pace the entire match, I don't think Parco took 1 real offensive attempt the entire match. Miguel had a nice ankle pick that caught Parco off guard but he was able to scramble out.

As far as the weight being tough, these are the placings of the top 4 guys in Ca state the past 3 years.

Miguel was 1st, 1st & 4th at state the past 3 years.
Mantanona was 1st, 2nd & 1st this year
Root was 3rd, 2nd (To Miguel) and 2nd this year
Parco was 5th, 5th and 3rd this year.

Also remember Cali is 1 class with 40 million people in the state

I didn't put the covid year where Miguel won the CA Invitational event, because it wasn't a sanctioned CIF tournament that year.

He's only lost 3 matches in California, 1 was early last season to Root and the 2 this year in OT. In my opinion he's wrestling good but the margin of error between the 4 guys is really close. He's got to improve his top and bottom game for sure. I told him when he gets to Iowa he needs try to learn Spencer and Real Woods head lever tilt game, they're two of the best ever on top.

The 3 point takedown in college will play to his strengths so thats a positive. I think if he manages his weight properly so he can be a 141 pounder starting out and learns to be at least good on top he has a chance to be special. Things like work ethic, clean lifestyle, mental toughness & desire won't be issues for him.

He's wrestling at the end of the March at the Pitt Classic so he's back training today. He's wrestling 152 plus 5 lbs so 157, I would of preferred him wrestling 145 plus 5 but he didn't care, he was honored to be selected. His walk around is like 158-160 any given day. Also he could of made 144 plus 2 = 146 this year in California but he wanted to stay where the best guys were because he knew it was a historic weight.

In the semis Mantanona beat Ethan Parco 4-3, Mantanona also beat Parco in OT in the Doc B finals.

Miguel lost to Root in OT 3-1, Miguel was in on probably 5 shots that he didn't finish. Root is real flexible and has real good leg defense. In the finals Root successfully defended 3 shots from Mantanona.

For 3rd Miguel lost again in OT, this time to Parco on the :30 second ride out. Miguel pushed the pace the entire match, I don't think Parco took 1 real offensive attempt the entire match. Miguel had a nice ankle pick that caught Parco off guard but he was able to scramble out.

As far as the weight being tough, these are the placings of the top 4 guys in Ca state the past 3 years.

I didn't put the covid year where Miguel won the CA Invitational event, because it wasn't a sanctioned CIF tournament that year.

He's only lost 3 matches in California, 1 was early last season to Root and the 2 this year in OT. In my opinion he's wrestling good but the margin of error between the 4 guys is really close. He's got to improve his top and bottom game for sure. I told him when he gets to Iowa he needs try to learn Spencer and Real Woods head lever tilt game, they're two of the best ever on top.

The 3 point takedown in college will play to his strengths so thats a positive. I think if he manages his weight properly so he can be a 141 pounder starting out and learns to be at least good on top he has a chance to be special. Things like work ethic, clean lifestyle, mental toughness & desire won't be issues for him.

He's wrestling at the end of the March at the Pitt Classic so he's back training today. He's wrestling 152 plus 5 lbs so 157, I would of preferred him wrestling 145 plus 5 but he didn't care, he was honored to be selected. His walk around is like 158-160 any given day. Also he could of made 144 plus 2 = 146 this year in California but he wanted to stay where the best guys were because he knew it was a historic weight.
Great post. Love the insight. Thanks for sharing.

To Estrada: Take those losses now to learn from them and get your mind set for the next level. Look at it this way: right now you're as good as Tom and Terry were when they first stepped into the Iowa room. So much will happen that first year that will separate the contenders from everyone else. Make the mental decision, like the Brands did, to be a contender, then do what's necessary to get there. Good luck at Pitt Classic. Good luck this fall.

thanks for the great information on a Future Hawkeye !! It is a great change of pace to get 1st hand information and insight instead of the conjured up trash some of the opposing teams trolls spew on here.... all the keyboard warriors and their inside connections. thanks again and good luck to Miguel at the Pitt Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT