ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Et iquette Question…..

joelbc1

HB King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Last night the Red Sox beat the Orioles 12-3. Rob Refsnyder and Tim O’Neill went “back to back” twice for the Sox…..My question is in tonight’s game, does one or both hit the dirt or get hit by Baltimore pitching?

They're fine. It's not like you don't swing when you're up a good bit. Sure, you shouldn't be stealing bases or legging out extra bases if you're way up, and you probably shouldn't be sac bunting, but a legit at bat is perfectly acceptable. And the odds are low that the game was out of reach on the first set. And 12-3 isn't THAT big of a lead.

I’d be shocked if any of that happened. Hitters keep swinging, regardless of score and Baltimore isn’t exactly in a position where they want to get someone suspended for starting a beanball war. Did they pimp the homers extravagantly? If not, even more reason not to throw at the guys.

Pitch better tonight, that’s the payback.

Last night the Red Sox beat the Orioles 12-3. Rob Refsnyder and Tim O’Neill went “back to back” twice for the Sox…..My question is in tonight’s game, does one or both hit the dirt or get hit by Baltimore pitching?
If the year was 1964 instead of 2024, sure.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Such white people names.

Well, no one “hit the dirt” last night.But please, don’t tell me teams don’t “send messages” to each other at times in 2024.
They do, but not just because a couple guys hit HRs. Messages get sent because their guys got hit, someone took a cheap shot or there was excessive showboating. 2024 isn’t the year of “boy, he had a great game yesterday, I’m sticking one in his ear hole today”.

I don’t think anybody is going to fault the Red Sox for hitting home runs on Povich, Smith, and Kimbrel. I also don’t think that anybody would be surprised if the Orioles’ pitching can’t keep the ball over the plate

No plunking. Home runs are not the sort of thing you affirmatively control; you just put your best swing on the pitches thrown to you and the batter is not expected to just stand there with the bat on his shoulders. Now, if they'd tried to steal bases, let alone twice, with that kind of lead, they would be plunked tonight.

The large caveat of course is that this is boston, and as with all things in boston, you never really know what a meathead southie is going to do at any given moment.

No plunking. Home runs are not the sort of thing you affirmatively control; you just put your best swing on the pitches thrown to you and the batter is not expected to just stand there with the bat on his shoulders. Now, if they'd tried to steal bases, let alone twice, with that kind of lead, they would be plunked tonight.

The large caveat of course is that this is boston, and as with all things in boston, you never really know what a meathead southie is going to do at any given moment.
Boston and Orioles gave an interesting history over the past few years, too. Not Yankee or Tampa Bay level but close…for one of those two to succeed, the other has to fail.

Boston and Orioles gave an interesting history over the past few years, too. Not Yankee or Tampa Bay level but close…for one of those two to succeed, the other has to fail.
Even still, both parks are so unpredictable in terms of the potential for massive runs to be scored that I think it would take something truly egregious to trigger retaliation, particularly with the stakes you mention being what they are.

The problem with the Red Sox and their fans is that for the better part of a century, we all thought they were sort of cute, with their old field and uniforms, Babe Ruth exorcisms, Game 6 stories, George Plimpton and their various Ivy academics writing poems about fall in New England, and the like. They mistook that for thinking we actually liked them.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Even still, both parks are so unpredictable in terms of the potential for massive runs to be scored that I think it would take something truly egregious to trigger retaliation, particularly with the stakes you mention being what they are.

The problem with the Red Sox and their fans is that for the better part of a century, we all thought they were sort of cute, with their old field and uniforms, Babe Ruth exorcisms, Game 6 stories, George Plimpton and their various Ivy academics writing poems about fall in New England, and the like. They mistook that for thinking we actually liked them.
Fans are fans, period. They are all the same. Phuquin’ Cardinal fans honestly believe their shit doesn’t stink. Cubs fans need a dose of reality. Twins are Twins and once or twice a decade they are watchable. Red Sox fans fall in love with their players in a game where players are really nothing more than rental bargaining chips. The Yankees are a shell of what they were when I was growing up…thankfully. I could go on and on…baseball is a great game played over 162 games…long seasons, staying healthy and a few good breaks will in you a pennant and a World Championship. Fans are a long for the ride.

Pete LaCock hit a home run his last time batting against Bob Gibson. 10 or so years later, they met in an old timers game, and Gibson plunked him.
Now that's comedy.

My uncle the baseball man only referred to two of the thousands of baseball people he'd dealt with over his lifetime using "Mister": Mr. Mack and Mr. Gibson.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Even with a big lead, it is appropriate and expected that a batter gives 100% effort in an at-bat. Baseball is different in that offensive sense than football or basketball. The only time swinging away is inappropriate is when a batter is successful and celebrates it.

Pete LaCock hit a home run his last time batting against Bob Gibson. 10 or so years later, they met in an old timers game, and Gibson plunked him.
I always liked the story where McCarver walks to the mound after Gibson had walked a batter. As he got to the mound Gibson growled “ what are you doing out here? The only thing you know about pitching is that you can’t hit it…”

b9606f62-b064-433b-b4b1-620ec9ba2afd_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT