ADVERTISEMENT

There for the tanking: Embrace the White Sox' pursuit of being the worst team in MLB history

All he’ll have to do is present the roster he was given and the other organization will nod and say, “Oh, right, that’s terrible.”

Sure, to some extent, they were never going to be great. And there's been plenty of injuries, but their payroll is right in the middle and several players who have/had potential and not just no name placeholders. We're not talking about managing a team that finishes a close last in the league. They are competing for worst record in the modern era, with losing streaks of 14, 21 and other notorious streaks. Can't blame it all on the roster.

Sure, to some extent, they were never going to be great. And there's been plenty of injuries, but their payroll is right in the middle and several players who have/had potential and not just no name placeholders. We're not talking about managing a team that finishes a close last in the league. They are competing for worst record in the modern era, with losing streaks of 14, 21 and other notorious streaks. Can't blame it all on the roster.
Oh, don’t take my comment as a defense of Grifol….but I’ve seen social media commentary today about how this is a move that will motivate the team and make the front office look better. There’s no redeeming any of this. If I was a Sox fan, I’d want to kill all of it with fire.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Most of these can be explained by general and pervasive ineptitude across the Sox organization, for decades.
It's been 3 years since they won 90 games, right? They should have been well positioned for a good run with their core.

All he’ll have to do is present the roster he was given and the other organization will nod and say, “Oh, right, that’s terrible.”
Yeah, but neither the team or individual players got better. I listen to a few games on the MLB app and you could hear the frustration over a lack of hustle and poor fundamentals. Even with less than talented players you can get some hustle and know which freaking base to throw to, or get the players to know how many outs there are in an inning. Most of that is Luis Roberts, however.

Also, awful timing for them to be this bad under the new CBA vs. the old one. Under the old rules, the Sox would be coasting into the #1 overall pick. Under the new rules, because they picked in the top 6 this year (#5), the best they can do is pick #10. All subsequent rounds, they’ll pick first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT