ADVERTISEMENT

MLB lockout update.

Is he a baseball player or just a pitcher? This takes a lot of strategy away from the game and waters it down tremendously.
He's being paid to be a pitcher. No interest in seeing the outdated multiple player shifts. Once the game left the two divisions model and cross league games it all became moot.

This could be another thread, but there are a lot of deals going down.
The As are doing what the As do, and unloading players. It sounds like Matt Olson is going to the Braves for a pile of prospects. That signals the end of the Freddy Freeman era in Atlanta.
The lack of big time FA signings so far tells me that the agents and front office people abided by the spirit of the lockout and didn't negotiate in secret. Lots of big names need to find homes in a hurry.

• Sad
Reactions: runkpanole
This is true ... by the way ... :) Poor Cincinnati ...

Brett Taylor of Bleacher Nation threw out the idea of asking the Reds what Votto would cost in a trade. The Reds are jettisoning payroll, so it doesn’t hurt to inquire. It’s unlikely they’d trade inside the division, but asking doesn’t cost you anything. MLB isn’t like other leagues where players can force trades, but Votto deserves better. Maybe his agent can start dialing some GMs to get him out of there.

The Reds have a payroll 3x the size of Baltimore's. These are both good baseball towns and MLB needs to figure this out

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Yep. Really wish a floor was an option.

I don't think that fixes the problem and tbh i don't think that anything will. A lot of these clubs are in towns that were big towns when they got teams. Cleveland, Baltimore, and Cincinnati were all prosperous towns when they got baseball teams. Establishing one in a new city isn't exactly an easy thing to do, there are a lot of games - it's not like you can just move them and upgrade a market like the NFL can

I think the best you can hope for is that every market can strike when they're ready to compete like the sox, twins, brewers, or tigers - they'll all spend when they have a chance to win. Towns like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore are pretty much lost causes. Even if you get them to spend $100M, they're still going to suck

The solution imo is to dilute the bigger markets. Boston and New York should have 6 clubs between them. Brooklyn would be the 4th largest city in the US and it's pretty much impossible to get to a 7pm game in the Bronx or Queens for most of Brooklyn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT