ADVERTISEMENT

Moss commits to Kansas

Well we do have CJ Frederick....and based on reports he sounds pretty good. So we would have the exact same number of guards at the 2G position that we had last year.

I hate losing Isaiah...think it was a bad move on his part, and we knew what we had with him. That's the real difference here...we really don't know how CJ will perform or how the lineups are going to work.

Seems to me Moss might have been scared of the outcome of competing against Frederick.

That actually crossed my mind....probably not the case, but there is the slight chance that Isaiah was upset about not playing as much as he wanted.....and here comes CJ shooting the ball well, handling pretty well, and playing better defense than maybe a couple of starters....and the threat of losing more time was there?

I guess as fans we should hope that is a good part of the reason.

Last edited:
It's really not that hard to believe.

Could be multiple factors why he wanted a change of scenery for his last year of eligibility.
I don't think he is even remotely likely to get to the NBA, but staying at Iowa probably wasn't going to help his cause. Maybe arkansas will help him land a better overseas gig.

Reactions: Auger
50 schools showed serious interest but none of those coaches know as much about basketball as the Iowa fans who are happy to see the “human turnover” go.

Addition by subtraction. We’ll be much improved with Moss and Cook gone. Those who don’t understand this need to stop using drugs...or something.

50 schools showed serious interest but none of those coaches know as much about basketball as the Iowa fans who are happy to see the “human turnover” go.

Addition by subtraction. We’ll be much improved with Moss and Cook gone. Those who don’t understand this need to stop using drugs...or something.
you realize these 50 schools had an open spot so why not take a flyer on a kid who was a starter on a B10 team. I think he is going to be disappointed with how it turns out but who knows. Not like he was Steph Curry.

From what I have heard is Fran has offered Moss all he can offer as far as development goes. Moss has a big goal of making a career in basketball and with Iowa and Fran he has plateaued. A change was needed for Moss.

Similar to what I have heard. Fran always encouraged Moss to be more aggressive. He pretty much had freedom to drive and shoot whenever with only a few situational restrictions. Fran was hoping he would develop into a D Wade type player to match up with Cook surrounded by shooters. It just never really clicked.

Maybe the Arkansas coaches can pull it out of him but I don't he ever lacked the opportunity to excel under Fran

I will be interested to see how Moss does next year. He could be very frustrating because he could look like a star but then would disappear for long periods of time. I am not happy to see him go but I am also not surprised or devastated either. He might thrive on a team with better ball handling, but on Iowa he was one of a number of guys who struggled dribbling when being guarded closely. Yes, a lot of coaches were interested in him but the Iowa coach often limited his minutes and it isn't all because he wanted to give minutes to his son. I hope Moss is a good fit at AR and that this sets him up well for playing professional basketball. I wish him well and thank him for his time at Iowa.

Reactions: anon_likibb9jzd3e0
I did see something on another site where it was stated by Isaiah's dad that Isaiah loved Iowa, was very complimentary of the coaches, etc.......he was very much a class act about the departure.

I still don't claim to understand it, but I feel better about this than if there were some bad feelings involved.

I hope Isaiah absolutely kills in next year. I honestly was surprised he stayed at Iowa how long he did because of the short leash Fran had with him. One bad stretch and he was done for 10-12 minutes at a time. Has to be frustrating for a kid that is talented and can get hot the way he can.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Grew up loving the Hawkeyes and went to countless football and basketball games. Went to school there from 2002-2006 and soon as I graduated, I could not WAIT to get out of Iowa City. My four roommates (two from Chicago and two from Des Moines) felt the same way, as they left 75 percent of their crap in our place and never looked back after graduation. Needless to say we didn't get our deposit back. I still go back to Iowa City 4-6 times a year for games and have a fond nostalgia about the place. But trust me. Four years of college there will take a toll on you. Sounds like Moss just needed a change of scenery and I can't blame him one bit.

That remains to be seen, don't ya think?

Doubt anyone would have redshirted one of the best shooters in the country.

I certainly think there is some validity to your thoughts.....but I think he got a rib injury early on. Having had cracked ribs I can tell you that those TAKE FOREVER to heal. I can also tell you that upon first injuring your ribs you can't sit, lay, move, cough, sneeze, or turn your body in any direction quickly without feeling significant pain.

So, what I am saying, is I can honestly see where CJ get's injured and misses a month of any real conditioning or playing. Then it takes a couple of weeks to get conditioning back, a little more time to get your timing back, all while adjusting as a freshman......so you start playing pretty well the last month or month and half of the season. I think that is a feasible scenario and a good reason to redshirt and not play even if he was a really good shooter and one of the better guards on the team. Let's hope he's that good.

Similar to what I have heard. Fran always encouraged Moss to be more aggressive. He pretty much had freedom to drive and shoot whenever with only a few situational restrictions. Fran was hoping he would develop into a D Wade type player to match up with Cook surrounded by shooters. It just never really clicked.

Maybe the Arkansas coaches can pull it out of him but I don't he ever lacked the opportunity to excel under Fran

This isn't a knock on Bohannon but I think Moss needs a true PG to help showcase Moss's strengths. Moss is an off the ball SG/W. He will have a really good PG at Arkansas. I'm not happy about Moss leaving Iowa. In the end he was a great outside shooter, was solid on D at times, was an above average free throw shooter and at times could step in to be Iowa's best scorer. With the loss of Cook also it is going to be very hard to replace the scoring and athleticism the two of them brought to Iowa. Seems many on here are relying on a redshirt SG that rumors say is shooting lights out at practices. I've heard these reports before (Ogelsby, Ellingson) so I won't hold my breath. Seems like Iowa is fading while other teams (Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio St, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers and Illinois have been improving this offseason.

Reactions: longliveCS40
This isn't a knock on Bohannon but I think Moss needs a true PG to help showcase Moss's strengths. Moss is an off the ball SG/W. He will have a really good PG at Arkansas. I'm not happy about Moss leaving Iowa. In the end he was a great outside shooter, was solid on D at times, was an above average free throw shooter and at times could step in to be Iowa's best scorer. With the loss of Cook also it is going to be very hard to replace the scoring and athleticism the two of them brought to Iowa. Seems many on here are relying on a redshirt SG that rumors say is shooting lights out at practices. I've heard these reports before (Ogelsby, Ellingson) so I won't hold my breath. Seems like Iowa is fading while other teams (Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio St, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers and Illinois have been improving this offseason.

Moss is a great outside shooter but he takes to much time to decide to shoot. he needs more space between him and the defender so he has more time. You're right, Moss needs a true PG that can drive and disrupt the defense. Our current PG's don't do that, but maybe the new guy can. Moss needs space and if he get's it at Arkansas, then he could have a great year. I don't think that's going to get him into the NBA though. The last two years he should have been working on being able to dribble drive.

Looking at Arkansas’ roster, they signed 2 4* SGs for 2018. One of them was their 2nd leading scorer, the other appears to be a bench player. They have a big who leads their scoring. Moss could be 3-4 leading scorer. Not sure if that’s an improvement for him or not.

Moss is a great outside shooter but he takes to much time to decide to shoot. he needs more space between him and the defender so he has more time. You're right, Moss needs a true PG that can drive and disrupt the defense. Our current PG's don't do that, but maybe the new guy can. Moss needs space and if he get's it at Arkansas, then he could have a great year. I don't think that's going to get him into the NBA though. The last two years he should have been working on being able to dribble drive.
Moss had plenty of open looks at 3 that he turned down during his time at Iowa. Seems he struggled to understand the flow and what was expected of him. If he is a such a great shooter, he should have shot anytime he was open. Instead, he would hesitate or drive and force a shot or the patented long 2 pointer.

I will not miss watching him play at Iowa, just never seemed to have a good understanding of basketball. He certainly got hot at times, that was fun to watch.

I hope Isaiah absolutely kills in next year. I honestly was surprised he stayed at Iowa how long he did because of the short leash Fran had with him. One bad stretch and he was done for 10-12 minutes at a time. Has to be frustrating for a kid that is talented and can get hot the way he can.

Sorry but that is flat out false. He was given a STARTER’s role for 3 years. He averaged 23 minutes a game. He had MANY opportunities to prove himself as more reliable and consistent but never did. If anything the leash was way too long for way too long. It had to be frustrating to the staff and team to keep giving him the opportunities and not take that next step.

Yes, the one thing he could do is get hot very occasionally but he was not a strong player in any other way. You guys that are contesting that are turning a blind eye to 3 years of proof. I’m guessing it is the dislike of Fran that leads you to not believe what you could obviously see. He was given ample opportunities and didn’t take advantage of them, much to the dismay of myself and a lot of fans. If you don’t think the staff, team, and fans didn’t want to see Moss turn that corner and finally take that next step, you are just kidding yourself.

When he wasn’t shooting well - or even attempting to score - he was hurting the team and replaced by players that were going to contribute SOMETHING and that made better decisions and gave more consistent effort.

Last edited:
That actually crossed my mind....probably not the case, but there is the slight chance that Isaiah was upset about not playing as much as he wanted.....and here comes CJ shooting the ball well, handling pretty well, and playing better defense than maybe a couple of starters....and the threat of losing more time was there?

I guess as fans we should hope that is a good part of the reason.

Right, I don’t know that for sure but it seems that could be a reason (and as fans we should hope that is the case).

Good luck Moss. Surprised that he didn't go to KS, a blue blood to have a better shot at NBA showcase. No need to dig up good/bad reasons on why he left. Just look ahead for the next season for IA, excited as usual.

I did see something on another site where it was stated by Isaiah's dad that Isaiah loved Iowa, was very complimentary of the coaches, etc.......he was very much a class act about the departure.

I still don't claim to understand it, but I feel better about this than if there were some bad feelings involved.

You realize if there were bad feelings involved, his dad would still have said the same stuff, right?
You don't publicly badmouth a school you're departing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT