ADVERTISEMENT

Moving my Mom into assisted living …

Anyone wanna buy some long-term care?

Both my grandparents went to the nursing home as well, lived there for several years. They had a policy in place, and it quite literally saved the farm land they owned. Not a fun premium to pay, but it does a good job at protecting other assets.

time-capsule-dr-rick.gif
Crazy Laugh GIF

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
My dad passed last night, 74 yo. I think he was happy he never had to spend time in a nursing home facility and was able to die at home in peace.
So sorry to hear but passing at home in your own bed is a blessing.
Did he have a terminal illness?

Having just cleaned out my deceased parent's house in the past 12 months, I was also amazed at how many loads we took out of there...to Goodwill for the stuff that they could use or just to the landfill. 50+ years of pack ratting adds up!

Looking back, I should have had a dumpster dropped off...oh well.
Brother and I kept telling our parents to have garage sales to get rid of stuff collected over the years.
We contacted a relative for a Rolloff after they passed. Took two of them ( 8' x 12') to clean everything up.
Most everything was scrap stuff that should have been discarded years ago.

My mom's assisted living facility was my house after she broke her hip and came down with dementia after the surgery. Roughest two years of our lives, my wife forever has my admiration for staying at home and dealing with her. She thought I was her husband most of the time and would call my wife bitch, whore, etc. The wife understood and we dealt with that for two years before she passed during the night..

July will be two years she's been gone, She was almost 92.

Brother and I kept telling our parents to have garage sales to get rid of stuff collected over the years.
We contacted a relative for a Rolloff after they passed. Took two of them ( 8' x 12') to clean everything up.
Most everything was scrap stuff that should have been discarded years ago.
I’ve begun the process over the last month for myself just because I don’t want to be surrounded by things I don’t need and I’ve managed to empty out and downsize a storage unit by half. I also hauled a lot of stuff out of my garage and it’s now organized.
Sold my first stuff on Marketplace and got some $ out of it! I have a house full of things I can sell and my children aren’t interested in my china or silver, or my collectibles. Or the stuff I got from my parents. Boomers dilemma for sure. Go to a thrift store like the St. Vincent dePaul and you will see sets of China and Crystal that obviously came from someone’s home.
Now the next milestone is making a decision to downsize my living space.
I don’t need the space anymore or my two story house. I don’t have mobility issues yet but who knows when I might?
The thought of assisted living is not a good prospect for me and my Dad never needed it. Mom went to one in her late 80’s and her functional ability declined quickly (mini strokes)
Seeing how their later years played out has affected how I am approaching my own. I’m thankful I retain the mindfulness and health at present that I need.
BTW I’m definitely younger than the two old geezers who want your vote in November.

Damn that’s the one that scares the sh!t out of me the most. Sorry to that Bank. You met my pops and he’s 72 so that age is definitely in perspective. :eek:
Yea I remember, my 100 yard pitch in (distance gets longer the more I tell the story :) ) with you and your dad watching was pretty memorable.

I remember you saying something like you weren’t sure how many rounds you have left with your old man. The last time I golfed with him was a scramble in July. I golfed lights out that day and will always have that memory.

I’m so sorry to hear about his health. Liver/pancreas issues are not a peaceful pain free way to pass.
Sincerest condolences to you and your family who no doubt suffered along with him. 😔
Now that he has passed, I admire him even more, he was in extreme pain, he was scared to die.. but at the end of the day he made the decision to stop treatment and spend his last days at his home. He refused morphine basically until the very end. I thought he was crazy for not taking major amounts of opioids, but not I admire his will to live his last days without that assistance of those drugs and pass away in his house.

Reactions: goldmom
I’ve begun the process over the last month for myself just because I don’t want to be surrounded by things I don’t need and I’ve managed to empty out and downsize a storage unit by half. I also hauled a lot of stuff out of my garage and it’s now organized.
Sold my first stuff on Marketplace and got some $ out of it! I have a house full of things I can sell and my children aren’t interested in my china or silver, or my collectibles. Or the stuff I got from my parents. Boomers dilemma for sure. Go to a thrift store like the St. Vincent dePaul and you will see sets of China and Crystal that obviously came from someone’s home.
Now the next milestone is making a decision to downsize my living space.
I don’t need the space anymore or my two story house. I don’t have mobility issues yet but who knows when I might?
The thought of assisted living is not a good prospect for me and my Dad never needed it. Mom went to one in her late 80’s and her functional ability declined quickly (mini strokes)
Seeing how their later years played out has affected how I am approaching my own. I’m thankful I retain the mindfulness and health at present that I need.
BTW I’m definitely younger than the two old geezers who want your vote in November.
Reminds me of this bit. Starts about 1:15.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT