ADVERTISEMENT

My Florida friends …

I'm willing to bet most FL posters would love to only pay 500 a month.

I was doing some research into how we are going to place rate Q4 this week and how we can target market. Going to be rough.

You want to see something really crazy. Look at the price of an auto policy in Colorado. Paying 6k a year to insure a 500k home makes mild sense to me. Having to pay 5k a year comp/collision on a 5 year old vehicle is ****ing ridiculous.

Crazy times right now.

Hell, I’m 35 miles from the coast with hurricane straps on the roof and I pay about $2100 with no flood insurance, a fire department about 5 minutes away. I get away cheaply compared to those in costal counties . But, yes I’m concerned my boys may want to become girls after going to Disney.

I'm willing to bet most FL posters would love to only pay 500 a month.

I was doing some research into how we are going to place rate Q4 this week and how we can target market. Going to be rough.

You want to see something really crazy. Look at the price of an auto policy in Colorado. Paying 6k a year to insure a 500k home makes mild sense to me. Having to pay 5k a year comp/collision on a 5 year old vehicle is ****ing ridiculous.
How are you paying $5k a year? I have pretty decent coverage through USAA for $115 a month. That’s on a truck with a market value of probably $50k.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill

Crazy times right now.
Yeah, cars are so expensive to repair these days. Even minor fender benders are out of sight.

My friend with a house on Sanibel (hardly any damage last year) got dropped and just got a new policy with a 10% of replacement value deductible. That is about a $250K deductible. This could end badly.

• Wow
Reactions: DFSNOLE
You guys really paying 6k for homeowners insurance? Holy schnikees!

Mine are about 50% higher than that. They increased app 15% the last year on top of a 20% increase the previous year. I do not carry hurricane insurance despite being across the street from the ocean.
Edit - forgot to mention hoa is up about 20% also.

Last edited:
Mine are about 50% higher than that. They increased app 15% the last year on top of a 20% increase the previous year. I do not carry hurricane insurance despite being across the street from the ocean.

We have a $30,000 windstorm deductible; $10,000 for everything else; flood damage is not covered at all.

I struggle to understand why the insurance companies are hurting so bad.

Yeah, there are a lot of EXPENSIVE homes that suffered severe damage from hurricanes last year, but they can weasel out of a lot of that by claiming the damage was caused by water instead of wind.

But once you get away from the storm surge zones, most houses suffering wind damage probably didn't have much to claim beyond the deductible.

We have a $30,000 windstorm deductible; $10,000 for everything else; flood damage is not covered at all.

I struggle to understand why the insurance companies are hurting so bad.

Yeah, there are a lot of EXPENSIVE homes that suffered severe damage from hurricanes last year, but they can weasel out of a lot of that by claiming the damage was caused by water instead of wind.

But once you get away from the storm surge zones, most houses suffering wind damage probably didn't have much to claim beyond the deductible.
I’m covered for water damage as long as it doesn’t come from my windows/doors. Thus my hurricane shutters have me covered( they actually have a damage insurance that was included in price). Just have to make sure i secure them properly ( which i will and document with phone pics).If some other idiot doesn’t secure the right way above me and i have water that comes down into my unit i’m covered under the water damage clause.

How are you paying $5k a year? I have pretty decent coverage through USAA for $115 a month. That’s on a truck with a market value of probably $50k.
1. I don't live in Colorado. I'm on the sales side of the org and when the actuaries/ product team say we are taking rate it's my role to launch that at the state level( Iowa). Because of this I have to be very aware of all rate in the central territory because we love playing the game of hot potato.

2. My mentor moved to Colorado a few years ago and runs the division around aurora. Thus, he and I talk about the large differences in the obstacles we face.

3. You are part of a fraternity that pays for itself and has specialized Membership. Your 1400 bucks a year is apples and oranges compared to civilians.

( thank you for your service.)

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
That's just the average. I honestly would've thought it was higher than that.
It is only going to get worse. People living on the coast have been paying less than they should have been due to Citizens Property Insurance, the state-funded insurance company of last resort. These rates are starting to increase to where they should have been a long time ago. The state and local governments keep allowing people to build where they shouldn't. As usual, it is all about the money.

Bankers and insurance companies……….the least you have to deal with these leaches, the better quality of life you will live.
Imagine a city with no bank or insurance agency on its squaRe? I’d call it “Utopia”………
You forgot lawyers.

Reactions: The Tradition
It is only going to get worse. People living on the coast have been paying less than they should have been due to Citizens Property Insurance, the state-funded insurance company of last resort. These rates are starting to increase to where they should have been a long time ago. The state and local governments keep allowing people to build where they shouldn't. As usual, it is all about the money.
I’ve read this a few times. It sounds like the market is correcting itself after years of being propped up.

I’ve read this a few times. It sounds like the market is correcting itself after years of being propped up.
This if really only part of the cause I think. Property values (thus replacement values) have gone up due to the continued migration of those fleeing taxes and cold weather. Increased costs and general inflation also make insurance coverage go up.

Wondering what joy 2023 will bring. Haven't filed a claim yet.

2023-07-09-9-03-48.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT