ADVERTISEMENT

My Florida friends …

Executive compensation packages at Universal were extremely inflated for many years. Its former CEO, Sean Downes, received annual compensation packages that reached as high as $25 million (in 2015), totaled $107 million, and averaged $13.7 million during his time as CEO. Downes has continued to receive compensation in 2020 and 2021 in his role as executive chairman. Much of this compensation was paid in cash, including $17 million in salary and $38 million in non-equity compensation.

Of course this is always the case. This state’s government is a candy store for GQP donors. A similar example has been posted in the past where a comparison was made to the CEO of State Farm. The GQP donor ceo, if I remember correctly, made many more times than the SF ceo who was responsible for a significantly larger company

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I wonder if they’re going to be pulling back in other areas around the country like SoCal after all the landslides they’ve had these last few weeks. Rolling Hills area has been hard hit, along with the Hollywood Hills.
Or upstate NY with those horrific flash floods. Climate change will create more issues for insurers and not just in hurricane prone coastal areas.

Reactions: nu2u
I wonder if they’re going to be pulling back in other areas around the country like SoCal after all the landslides they’ve had these last few weeks. Rolling Hills area has been hard hit, along with the Hollywood Hills.
Or upstate NY with those horrific flash floods. Climate change will create more issues for insurers and not just in hurricane prone coastal areas.
Didn’t they already pull out of CA?

I e heard this stat a lot lately, inflation is double the national average in Florida. Housing prices are a driver, but insurance isn’t helping.
It seems like something had to give. I wonder if first time buyers moving to Florida pay much attention to rising insurance rates, or research what’s going on?

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I e heard this stat a lot lately, inflation is double the national average in Florida. Housing prices are a driver, but insurance isn’t helping.
It seems like something had to give. I wonder if first time buyers moving to Florida pay much attention to rising insurance rates, or research what’s going on?

Well, now that is part of a scam. A lot of initial insurance quotes are pretty low. But then the insurance is dropped before hurricane season. I saw examples of this on Nextdoor.

Traveling failure machine weighs in on his insurance mess from some remote Iowa county

DeSantis facing property insurance crisis questions

State senator says Gov. DeSantis needs to ‘come home,’ call special session to address property ...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Silver spoon state cfo says bootstraps to Florida homeowners insurance customers

Florida CFO responds to Farmers Insurance pulling out of Florida

Even his most ardent supporters must admit that DeSantis has not handled this well at all.

Reactions: MitchLL
The home insurance situation in this state is on the cusp of complete disaster. Desantis is gonna have his hands full with the coming shit show. And, God forbid we get smoked by another hurricane this year, holy shit I don’t even know what we’re gonna do.

Of course this is always the case. This state’s government is a candy store for GQP donors. A similar example has been posted in the past where a comparison was made to the CEO of State Farm. The GQP donor ceo, if I remember correctly, made many more times than the SF ceo who was responsible for a significantly larger company

BAU grifting

Paywall bypass

Reactions: ft254
The home insurance situation in this state is on the cusp of complete disaster. Desantis is gonna have his hands full with the coming shit show. And, God forbid we get smoked by another hurricane this year, holy shit I don’t even know what we’re gonna do.
Not defending anyone from anything…..but exactly, How is it the gov’s responsibility to keep the insurance company profitable or protect his state’s homeowners from impending natural/financial disasters?
THIS is why FEDERAL governments get involved most often. When there is a “needed” service that is NOT profitable…..and not offered, the government has a duty to step in and offer the service. When they do so, the “capitalist purists” scream “FOUL!” But someone has to protect the masses.

Not defending anyone from anything…..but exactly, How is it the gov’s responsibility to keep the insurance company profitable or protect his state’s homeowners from impending natural/financial disasters?
THIS is why FEDERAL governments get involved most often. When there is a “needed” service that is NOT profitable…..and not offered, the government has a duty to step in and offer the service. When they do so, the “capitalist purists” scream “FOUL!” But someone has to protect the masses.
Where did I say it’s the governors responsibility? I just said he has a shitshow on his hands coming. There is no good answer to this problem. If you live in Florida, Hurricanes are part of the deal.

Where did I say it’s the governors responsibility? I just said he has a shitshow on his hands coming. There is no good answer to this problem. If you live in Florida, Hurricanes are part of the deal.
He dEOs…but the shitshoiw is really nothing to do with him….but it does involve the “private sector”……and that is where the story needs to be……I think its nuts that he is using state officer holders to threaten “private businesses” for doing what they do……make and maintain profits. It’s inevitable that businesses are not going to continue to underwrite bad state and local government decisions of where to build in relation to water…and hurricanes. However, I dont think DeSantis….or any governmental official has the balls to do what’s right and update and change building codes…..Republican love to harass Californians for building homes in the woods and insisting on maintaining a “natural” look and then complaining when they burn up, well……Building homes and condos within 6 blocks of the seashore in Florida and long the Gulf and Atlantic coasts might be just as stupid.
But I did have problems with DeSantis sic’ it his state dogs on the insurance (Farmer’s) industry today.

The thing is…where you live makes all the difference with insurance here. My daughter just bought a house in crestview which is around 30 miles north of Destin. Their homeowners insurance is reasonable.

If you want to live in Destin or Santa Rosa Beach…you better babe the big bucks.

Reactions: goldmom
The thing is…where you live makes all the difference with insurance here. My daughter just bought a house in crestview which is around 30 miles north of Destin. Their homeowners insurance is reasonable.

If you want to live in Destin or Santa Rosa Beach…you better babe the big bucks.
Yes, location does make a big difference, but 30 miles from the coast is not that far. When Hurricane Michael hit Mexico Beach several years ago, it stayed a category 4 well past 30 miles inland. This is the new reality we are dealing with. How much is your daughter paying and what is the value of her house?

Yes, location does make a big difference, but 30 miles from the coast is not that far. When Hurricane Michael hit Mexico Beach several years ago, it stayed a category 4 well past 30 miles inland. This is the new reality we are dealing with. How much is your daughter paying and what is the value of her house?

There's nothing "new" about that, but storm surge causes much more devastation than wind does. Not that Cat 4 winds aren't damaging, but it's nothing compared to the seawater battering a structure. Which is why 30 miles inland should have lower premiums than storm surge areas.

This. And Mexico Beach was very nearly wiped out. It’s just a small out of the way place we Floridians don’t want outsiders to know about.
A quiet “Old Florida” beach spot on the Forgotten Coast - but guess what? It’s been almost completely rebuilt, hurricane or not. I can’t imagine what the insurance premiums there must be. Only difference I saw was that most of the homes were up on stilts.
Frankly I would never live on the oceanfront. On any Coast - whether it is north, South, east or west. Gulf, Pacific, Atlantic.

Frankly I would never live on the oceanfront. On any Coast - whether it is north, South, east or west. Gulf, Pacific, Atlantic.

Even without hurricanes the ocean takes its toll on EVERYTHING on the beachfront! The upkeep is 10X what's required if you get away from that salt air and constant wind.

State Farm will stay (this time), but it will soon be even higher premiums. Mine have gone up 64% in two years. I keep hearing that premiums will soon go down. I’ll wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what fills up first.

There's nothing "new" about that, but storm surge causes much more devastation than wind does. Not that Cat 4 winds aren't damaging, but it's nothing compared to the seawater battering a structure. Which is why 30 miles inland should have lower premiums than storm surge areas.
No doubt that the area that usually receives the worst damage from a Hurricane is the coastal area (a combination of storm surge and wind). However, it is "new" that Hurricanes are staying more intense further inland than they have been historically. Hurricane Michael left considerable damage up to about 70 miles north of Mexico Beach. The only saving grace is that this area is mostly rural with a few small towns, so the number of people affected was not large. Also, while inland areas do not have to deal with storm surges, flooding from rainwater can be a big problem (remember Houston several years ago, parts of Florida last year from Hurricane Ian). While the coastal areas are going to pay higher premiums, the inland homeowners are being hit pretty hard also.

Reactions: lucas80
No doubt that the area that usually receives the worst damage from a Hurricane is the coastal area (a combination of storm surge and wind). However, it is "new" that Hurricanes are staying more intense further inland than they have been historically. Hurricane Michael left considerable damage up to about 70 miles north of Mexico Beach. The only saving grace is that this area is mostly rural with a few small towns, so the number of people affected was not large. Also, while inland areas do not have to deal with storm surges, flooding from rainwater can be a big problem (remember Houston several years ago, parts of Florida last year from Hurricane Ian). While the coastal areas are going to pay higher premiums, the inland homeowners are being hit pretty hard also.

It's not new. A strong storm will maintain dangerous winds well inland. It's physics, not global warming.

This. And Mexico Beach was very nearly wiped out. It’s just a small out of the way place we Floridians don’t want outsiders to know about.
A quiet “Old Florida” beach spot on the Forgotten Coast - but guess what? It’s been almost completely rebuilt, hurricane or not. I can’t imagine what the insurance premiums there must be. Only difference I saw was that most of the homes were up on stilts.
The biggest issue with Mexico Beach is that there is no dune to absorb some of the surge like most beaches. The bottom floor of the condo I built on the coast there is all parking. It was 75% filled with sand.

Even a bigger problem came from the storm breaking and filling both water and sewer lines. That was something I hadn't seen previously.

If you drove through the area north of Mexico Beach, Apalachicola, etc along I-10 near Marianna and you were a Floridian who was somewhat familiar with the area you couldn’t help but be shocked at the number of huge trees that were snapped off like matchsticks and the highway signs that were twisted completely around like they were plastic.
Boomers who grew up here are used to hurricanes- not just in Florida but all along the Gulf and around the state and up to and including the OBX of North Carolina.
Heck my parents had old pictures of my father’s childhood home in a NYC suburb after a late season hurricane hit up there in the 40’s.

Spanish shipwrecks abound because of hurricanes. Jim Cantore and social media have fed the idea that climate change is feeding these storms but they have always been here. And they do seem to go in frequency cycles. Fed by rising ocean temps? Don’t rule it out but pay attention to the data.
Insurers have been taking it in the shorts and rising costs associated with covering the damage are also feeding into this coverage crisis. Maybe premiums have been too low all along?
And maybe $30 million dollar oceanfront homes shouldn’t be allowed? Or do municipalities love the property tax revenue too much? 🤔💰💰

• Haha
Reactions: lucas80
If you drove through the area north of Mexico Beach, Apalachicola, etc along I-10 near Marianna and you were a Floridian who was somewhat familiar with the area you couldn’t help but be shocked at the number of huge trees that were snapped off like matchsticks and the highway signs that were twisted completely around like they were plastic.
Boomers who grew up here are used to hurricanes- not just in Florida but all along the Gulf and around the state and up to and including the OBX of North Carolina.
Heck my parents had old pictures of my father’s childhood home in a NYC suburb after a late season hurricane hit up there in the 40’s.

Spanish shipwrecks abound because of hurricanes. Jim Cantore and social media have fed the idea that climate change is feeding these storms but they have always been here. And they do seem to go in frequency cycles. Fed by rising ocean temps? Don’t rule it out but pay attention to the data.
Insurers have been taking it in the shorts and rising costs associated with covering the damage are also feeding into this coverage crisis. Maybe premiums have been too low all along?
And maybe $30 million dollar oceanfront homes shouldn’t be allowed? Or do municipalities love the property tax revenue too much? 🤔💰💰

If you have a $30 million beachfront home, then you can afford to be self-insured.

Our silver spoon state CFO, originally appointed by former Gov Dickhead Scott, says Farmers is “too woke”

‘Bud Light of insurance’: Florida official blames insurer crisis on wokeness

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT