ADVERTISEMENT

My Florida friends …

Florida peeps, stop whatabouting on the natural disasters. Florida is a shitshow due to hurricanes, nothing else compares. It is what it is. Insurance is gonna be a major problem going forward.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Florida peeps, stop whatabouting on the natural disasters. Florida is a shitshow due to hurricanes, nothing else compares. It is what it is. Insurance is gonna be a major problem going forward.
Cause hurricanes have only been around for like five, six years?
But you’re correct we are a total 💩 show. So when are y’all gonna stop moving here and buying stuff on the water?

Now for news on the very similar situation in Iowa??
FIFY
A lot of insurance companies are pulling out of Iowa, too. Climate change events are cutting into profits. It wasn't just the derecho, but that was a big jolt. Drought followed by epic rain events, especially in Western Iowa has led to quite a few companies pulling out of the state. It hasn't quite reached the point of Florida, but it's an issue that our legislators and governor are ignoring at the peril of their base.

Reactions: goldmom
Cause hurricanes have only been around for like five, six years?
But you’re correct we are a total 💩 show. So when are y’all gonna stop moving here and buying stuff on the water?
I can’t speak for others, but I moved here to live on the beach, and I intend to die here.

Reactions: goldmom
FIFY
A lot of insurance companies are pulling out of Iowa, too. Climate change events are cutting into profits. It wasn't just the derecho, but that was a big jolt. Drought followed by epic rain events, especially in Western Iowa has led to quite a few companies pulling out of the state. It hasn't quite reached the point of Florida, but it's an issue that our legislators and governor are ignoring at the peril of their base.

Western Iowa has been in a drought for sometime. Most of the flooding out there is due to the Army Corps of Engineers in South Dakota

Where is your crib?
Tallahassee. Going to call my agent Monday to see why it dropped so much. Something seems off but I can’t find it on the renewal letter. It’s a full year, coverage looks the same as last year. It’s $2100 if I pay monthly or $1790 if I pay all at once.

The policy is with Universal Property.

Seeing some articles about a new law that requires condos to have full reserves by 2025 and condo owners selling before that kicks in.

Any of the FLA peeps seeing evidence of that?

Seeing some articles about a new law that requires condos to have full reserves by 2025 and condo owners selling before that kicks in.

I started to type a reply mentioning this but it quickly turned into a Governor Meatball bashing post so I deleted it.

If you go to YouTube and start typing Florida condo….,” one of the first things that will autofill is “Florida condo crisis”

Here is that search

Edit - I thought I was replying to this thread started by @Tenacious E

I should have kept my Meatball bashing post and put it in this thread or the condo collapse thread. That’s ok. I have another Meatball bashing post for this thread coming momentarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
This has long been a problem in this state. Has the gerrymandered GQP Florida legislature done anything about it in its 25 plus years of complete control?

Uninsured motorists big part of Florida's insurance crisis

Has the all powerful Governor Ron Meatball DeFascist done anything? No, instead he is sending the Florida Highway Patrol to the Texas-Mexico border because he only knows how to do hate inspired publicity stunts to fill his own emptiness and feed red meat to his low life base

What's Florida Highway Patrol doing at the Mexico border?

Iowans, if you want to know how backwards your state will be after a few decades of republican rule, visit Florida. This place is committed to dysfunction and going back in time.

Revisions to FS718 are indeed on the books following the collapse of Surfside Towers in Dade County (Miami).
Prior to that the Condo owners could vote to waive full funding of the Reserve account and instead impose a Special Assessment to cover any capital maintenance needs. Those were often neglected as well. Only buildings that were above five stories were required to have structural and safety inspections and then only every few years (can’t recall but it was at least five)
Now the state says everyone gets inspected regardless.
Being on the ocean creates salt air conditions that impact the integrity of the building and leads to spalling (example is the rebar rusts from the inside and becomes visible as it breaks through the stucco or concrete.)
Developers loved the old statute since it helped them sell condos that might have a little lower dues and South Florida had lots of buyers who were foreign and mostly absentee. They had no concept of the condition of the buildings. And retirees on fixed incomes usually voted down these things too.
Yes the market in some areas is full of condos for sale. Prices are dropping too but they were inflated to begin with.
If you look at Destin for example there are condos on the Gulf with monthly dues hitting as much as $2000 a month. And prices that started in the $800’s for a 2BR unit that are just sitting. There are frequent price drops. Part of those dues - in addition to the reserve requirement - are also because the insurance carrier for the condo has upped the premium so high to cover their own storm losses. Some of those units rent out to vacationers and the income can reach $50k annually so for some ownership can still make sense.
I managed high end condos on the ocean in Ponte Vedra Beach for years and the maintenance and insurance costs are a major factor in the cost of ownership. Truly it was a matter of the old saying “if you have to ask how much you can’t afford it”.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
This has long been a problem in this state. Has the gerrymandered GQP Florida legislature done anything about it in its 25 plus years of complete control?

Uninsured motorists big part of Florida's insurance crisis

Has the all powerful Governor Ron Meatball DeFascist done anything? No, instead he is sending the Florida Highway Patrol to the Texas-Mexico border because he only knows how to do hate inspired publicity stunts to fill his own emptiness and feed red meat to his low life base

What's Florida Highway Patrol doing at the Mexico border?

Iowans, if you want to know how backwards your state will be after a few decades of republican rule, visit Florida. This place is committed to dysfunction and going back in time.
Sure - the State can set up roadblocks and demand that people show license registration and insurance. After all it’s a free country and we’d all go along with police state stuff, right?
We do have uninsured motorists but other states are facing the same issue. Deep blue California has more than we do.
But you’re trolling for likes so you throw 💩 out there.

Tallahassee. Going to call my agent Monday to see why it dropped so much. Something seems off but I can’t find it on the renewal letter. It’s a full year, coverage looks the same as last year. It’s $2100 if I pay monthly or $1790 if I pay all at once.

The policy is with Universal Property.
One of my brothers is still in Tally, dunno what they are facing with renewal. We sold our folks place off of Miccosoukee a couple of years ago and the insurance always seemed appropriate.
The house we grew up in on high ground on Lake Bradford was always very affordable.

While MSNBC was quick to say - amid blowback - that Ronna McDaniel won’t be appearing on any of THEIR programs on air in some sort of failed appeasement effort to deflect from the fact that NBC hired her at all, what’s been glossed over is what she WILL be doing.

According to the NYT: Ms. McDaniel will be especially involved in the coverage of the 2024 campaign, including election nights.

How convenient. What could possibly go wrong?

McDaniel’s hire was to the delight of NBC’s Senior VP of Meet the Press (that turned out great) and now Senior VP of Politics at the network, Carrie Budoff Brown. According to Brown, “It couldn’t be a more important moment to have a voice like Ronna’s on the team.”

If that voice is an election denying sycophant…I guess.

Brown went on to say that McDaniel, “as a longtime Michigan resident, she’ll be an important voice from one of this year’s key battlegrounds.”

Exactly how Ronna McDaniel’s voice (one that pushed the Big Lie) will be important in a key battleground state in an election year when democracy (the very one that the GOP Presidential nominee has tried to subvert at every opportunity) is literally on the ballot, is the question…
Who cares? I don’t particularly like her. I also don’t watch MSNBC. And there’s always that newfangled contraption called the remote.
I am getting the feeling that this election year is going to be one where my own personal favorite on MY remote is the off button.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT