ADVERTISEMENT

My Florida friends …

My car insurance has almost doubled and I’m retired with a clean driving record.
I bundle it with my homeowners and I’m freaked out to say anything because I have an 18 year old roof and I might create an inspection and be forced to get a new roof.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
My car insurance has almost doubled and I’m retired with a clean driving record.
I bundle it with my homeowners and I’m freaked out to say anything because I have an 18 year old roof and I might create an inspection and be forced to get a new roof.
So mom, are you saying “vindictive” is the guide word on how the Florida insurance industry’s works?
Phuquin’ insurance industry and bankers are the greediest sumbitches in Amerika! Always have been and they always will be.
My suggestion is to find a broker or a banker that will buy you an occasional cocktail. That’s the only way you’ll ever see you money! Sadly, you need them a helluva lot more than they need you.

So mom, are you saying “vindictive” is the guide word on how the Florida insurance industry’s works?
Phuquin’ insurance industry and bankers are the greediest sumbitches in Amerika! Always have been and they always will be.
My suggestion is to find a broker or a banker that will buy you an occasional cocktail. That’s the only way you’ll ever see you money! Sadly, you need them a helluva lot more than they need you.
I don’t know if they’re vindictive but a neighbor with a smaller company not named State Farm had it happen to them.

I don’t know if they’re vindictive but a neighbor with a smaller company not named State Farm had it happen to them.
Years ago I had my home insurers tell me they were dropping my coverage, after covering me for 15 yrs….They cited the fact I had a swimming pool and a diving board and a “slide” and the house no longer met their criteria. I called my agent and we shared a laugh as we all knew I had gotten rid of the slide and diving board 5 years before…..he told me they were just “shaking me down” for a higher rate…..He had an adjuster come over and “inspect” the property and Lo and Behold if the insuror didn’t decide they would continue my coverage….after a $50 bump in premium ! The point is. Everyone knew I had gotten rid of the board and slide years before….but anything to “raise a rate” I guess…..So yours fear of a new roof doesn’t surprise me one iota.

I am paying nearing 1k per month out of my mortgage for my home owners (4500) and property taxes (6300). Payment has gone up $380 a month in the three years I have owned this house. Only good news is it is a 2.75% rate on the loan.

My plan is to rent a place for a couple months each winter and let someone else deal with all the headaches.
That is a good plan. 6 weeks would do it. If I could relocate from 1/15 to 3/1 to Florida, that would be superb. Home for spring, pool season, the 4th, football games, and holidays. Miss the worst weather iowa typically has to offer and we’ve not tied up a chunk of our wealth.

That was in 2017 and now it is 2900 per month. So this woman is paying $35K per year for a house that isn't that nice. Crazy if accurate.
I think it's annual. And the first-year rate may have been prorated. No way the structure of that house is 35k a year for insurance. I live less than a half mile from the ocean and mine is 6800 a year.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
2010 did :cool: lol
What is crazy is that if I look for Jupiter single family homes on Zillow within 1/2 mile of the ocean, the cheapest one I could find was $700K. 1300 sf and no basement. The rest are all 7 and 8 figure homes... And, upon further inspection, that isn't even a single family home. That part of a quad plex.

What is crazy is that if I look for Jupiter single family homes on Zillow within 1/2 mile of the ocean, the cheapest one I could find was $700K. 1300 sf and no basement. The rest are all 7 and 8 figure homes... And, upon further inspection, that isn't even a single family home. That part of a quad plex.

In Hobe Sound, two-bedroom condo units were going for 60k. You could be renting those now for 3k a month. I wish I would have bought 5 of those.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Those are very very rare in Florida.
If you dig down more than a few feet in Florida in some areas you’ll hit water, so basements are indeed rare.
It’s why three car garages are like gold here. That third garage IS a Florida basement. Or we have those pull down stairs over our garages that access a storage area. Have to put those Christmas decorations somewhere.

The only basement I've ever seen in Florida was at the old Coast Guard station on Peanut Island in Lake Worth, Florida. The island was man made from dredge spoils as they created Lake Worth Inlet, cutting a channel from Lake Worth to the ocean.

They built the Coast Guard station on top of that, and apparently had no problems building a basement in that situation.

The island also had an emergency underground bunker built on it because President Kennedy maintained a residence nearby. Not sure if he ever set foot in there or not, but it was built for him, just in case.

Those are very very rare in Florida.
Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that as I know they basically do not exist there. I only meant to contrast what you get compared to Iowa. Typically, there is about as much sf in the basement as on the first floor of a house. So if in Iowa if it is listed as a 1500 sf ranch, it is effectively a 3000 sf house. The flip side is that we need more space to store crap for the different seasons, and to no go mad when hunkering down during the winter.

Last edited:
I think it's annual. And the first-year rate may have been prorated. No way the structure of that house is 35k a year for insurance. I live less than a half mile from the ocean and mine is 6800 a year.

I seem to remember that you are near Juno Beach. Have you been to this, supposedly very good, pizzeria inside the Shell gas station? I am going to give it a try next time I am down there.

I seem to remember that you are near Juno Beach. Have you been to this, supposedly very good, pizzeria inside the Shell gas station? I am going to give it a try next time I am down there.

Yeap! I have been there before that video. Pizza is excellent and Willie is still there. I probably would have a 10 to 15-minute walk to that location. I live on the Juno/Jupiter border. The gas station itself is old and somewhat sketchy so was shocked to find that quality of pizza there.

Funny - the reviews were all five stars before that video and now are four stars. I guess the video attracted the "critics". Or maybe he couldn't handle the popularity and extra business. I wonder if he only makes pizza for regulars now.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that as I know they basically do not exist there. I only meant to contrast what you get compared to Iowa. Typically, there is about as much sf in the basement as on the first floor of a house. So if in Iowa if it is listed as a 1500 sf ranch, it is effectively a 3000 sf house. The flip side is that we need more space to store crap for the different seasons, and to no go mad when hunkering down during the winter.
I miss a good basement and the storage. And apparently, so do some neighbors who use their garage as storage.

Reactions: goldmom
I miss a good basement and the storage. And apparently, so do some neighbors who use their garage as storage.
I was just going to ask where people without basement store items? Figured maybe you used attics or had outdoor storage like larger sheds or something.

I was just going to ask where people without basement store items? Figured maybe you used attics or had outdoor storage like larger sheds or something.
I have one of those pull down stairs in my garage, plus I have a small storage unit. I’ve started downsizing a lot of stuff so I don’t need as much storage space as I used to.
If you open a dust covered box and you say “oh wow I forgot about this stuff “ you don’t really need it anymore.

Yeah but let's concentrate on those evil trans kids!
One of these things is not like the other but go ahead and make a pointless statement. 🙄
Our roads are clogged, it’s hugely expensive to make body repairs and we have too many stupid people who can’t drive.
Plus we have an avalanche of PI attorneys who sue if someone looks at your car the wrong way. That’s a huge problem. But the Legislature is full of lawyers so there you go.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
I have physican friends that want to go to FL and practice, but say the litigious nature of the environment related to malpractice prevents them. Have you experienced or seen this?

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT