ADVERTISEMENT

My key takeaways from today

Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
- Petras was meh. 25-36 is a nicer stat-line, but 5.8 per completion isn’t good. He misses a lot of reads. He however did some good things, and once again showed some flashes. Now he needs to turn those flashes into long lasting beams of light.

- Goodson had a day. He has a shot at OPOTW in the Big 10. 150 for 3 TD’s today. Good showing for him.

- OL was much better. Petras had a lot more time, and they did a good job opening holes. Hope they keep building on today, and grow to be one of the best units in the country by years end.

- IKM should not be the number 2 back. He can run well and is explosive through the hole, but he fumbles way too much. He’s fumbled 4 times in 3 games, with two being lost. One wasn’t a fumble, but you can’t lose the ball period.

- Defense is good. We can say it. This is a very very good unit.

- Petras was meh. 25-36 is a nicer stat-line, but 5.8 per completion isn’t good. He misses a lot of reads. He however did some good things, and once again showed some flashes. Now he needs to turn those flashes into long lasting beams of light.

- Goodson had a day. He has a shot at OPOTW in the Big 10. 150 for 3 TD’s today. Good showing for him.

- OL was much better. Petras had a lot more time, and they did a good job opening holes. Hope they keep building on today, and grow to be one of the best units in the country by years end.

- IKM should not be the number 2 back. He can run well and is explosive through the hole, but he fumbles way too much. He’s fumbled 4 times in 3 games, with two being lost. One wasn’t a fumble, but you can’t lose the ball period.

The OL is still below average except for center.

OL really improved and I thought as a unit much better. Petras holds onto the ball too long and then scrambles then throws. He panics on the play but to his credit he is NOT a turnover machine. Not at all remarkable but not a TO machine. Kyle McCann like. I think we have real talent at WR and I really hope we have the QB play to use that talent. Just too much dinking and dunking with check downs for 4 yards 5 short of the 1st down marker. Goodson gives hope this offense can be enough. The defense really has to bring at least its B game every day and A game most days. Tory Taylor will be the X factor and while Iowa's offense won't rack up terribly impressive offensive stats, remember a big part of this year will be Taylor pinning them and our defense causing a TO resulting in a short field. Also encouraged we sustained a 95 yard drive and another impressive long one.

Odd ... I came away watching the game feeling like our D, by their standard, played like shit.

Also, I thought that Petras was refreshingly consistent. He was obviously coached to be willing to take the check-down ... because of all the picks that the Kent State got. Thus, he was trying to keep things more "high percentage."

There were a number of passes he hit ... where they could have gone for a lot more had his target not tripped OR had the target managed to make just one guy miss. That's what a lot of those quick-hitters are intended to do ... get the ball out in space and let the skill guy get yards after catch.

During the game ... I yelled at the TV ... essentially telling the TV gods to take him out of the game because he coughed up the ball twice. On review ... the second fumble was "almost" excusable ... he was holding the ball with both hands ... he just took a punishing "sandwich"-hit by two guys ... and that dislodged the ball. Fortunately, LaPorta was there to recover it. On the flip side ... Ivory was way-solid in pass-pro ... that matters too. I'm split ... I see why the coaches like him ... but he really needs to improve his ball security. The coaches gave a talent like Wadley the benefit of the doubt ... so they should probably give IKM the benefit of the doubt too (at least, should he demonstrate better ball-security in practice).

Goodson had quite a day ... and, even then, he could have done better. I hope that he ends up seeing that in his performance too. But boy is he fun to watch when he gets out into space!

Reactions: OKCRockHawk

25 completions for over 200 yards is 8 yards per completion not 5.8 yards per completion

Colby has looked good at times, especially for a true FR. He stays on people and likes to maul. Pass pro was good today. SP had a lot of time. KS's DTs were pretty stout. They were hard to move. The defense showed two weaknesses today: the secondary gave up big plays on each side where the QB found the soft spot between the CB and safety. They had a third one where the QB missed a wide open guy. Their O line pushed our DTs down the field on their first drive of the second half. Fortuately, the Hawks made a huge play to knock the ball loose on the goal line and keep points off the board. Didn't seem like a great performance but they still won handily.

Another Einstein….”i don’t care enough” yet still posts!
Folks don't realize that the 5.8 is the yardage per pass-attempt (not the yardage per completion).

Anyhow, 5.8 actually is way lower than is ideal. It's much better if that number is in the 7s. Especially for a play-action team ... vertical shots are more likely to drive that number up to the 8s.

Aside from Moss's two inexplicable blown coverages, the defense was very good again. Kent State found something with that RPO on the drive after Tracy's catch was overturned.

Reactions: dbrocket
It’s clear nobody will be comfortable in the film room this week. And that’s not a bad thing.

Reactions: kwik44
Iowa misses Brandon Smith blocking downfield. Those dump-offs would have went farther behind #12.
This. Many fans don't understand how important to the offense a WR blocking down field for the check downs is. Iowa doesn't have a capable blocker this year at WR. It is also key to the run game.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Don't make too much out of the offensive production. Kent State is not a dominate defense. It was very predictable that the offense would preform better. That doesn't mean that they have improved. SP probably had a few more consistent throws today.

This. Many fans don't understand how important to the offense a WR blocking down field for the check downs is. Iowa doesn't have a capable blocker this year at WR. It is also key to the run game.
Absolutely ... we left yards on the field due to poor downfield blocking today (by non-OLinemen).

On the flip side ... I think that we did see some improvements made on the OL today. Incremental and not necessarily huge ... but improvements nonetheless!

Reactions: kceasthawk
Aside from Moss's two inexplicable blown coverages, the defense was very good again. Kent State found something with that RPO on the drive after Tracy's catch was overturned.
Especially on the first one Moss was looking or another of those pick sixes and bit and tried jumping the route. Frankly I was concerned that ISU would get him for one of those after his big game against Indiana, but he stayed in his shoes. Fortunately it didn't hurt Iowa, other then wiping out what could very well have been a shutout, and gives PP some ammo to keep him grounded.

Odd ... I came away watching the game feeling like our D, by their standard, played like shit.

There were a number of passes he hit ... where they could have gone for a lot more had his target not tripped OR had the target managed to make just one guy miss. That's what a lot of those quick-hitters are intended to do ... get the ball out in space and let the skill guy get yards after catch.q

Goodson had quite a day ... and, even then, he could have done better. I hope that he ends up seeing that in his performance too. But boy is he fun to watch when he gets out into space!

Yeah, some of our guys have lousy instincts once they catch the ball; cut the wrong direction, don’t use their blocks, etc. They missed a lot of yardage opportunities.

Way too many check downs from Petras. I'm guessing over half his completions were within 5 yards of the los. Why in the world we throw the little pass in the flat to Ragaini is beyond me, as it requires he put a move on the db, which he can never do because he just doesn't have the quickness or speed. Our receivers and qb are just a bad combo. This was not a good defense we faced, nor is CSU, so hard to take much from it. Goodson had a good day, but I think that was more of Kent State just being inferior on the line.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Yeah, some of our guys have lousy instincts once they catch the ball; cut the wrong direction, don’t use their blocks, etc. They missed a lot of yardage opportunities.
Tracey and Jones come to mind, as they both did a poor job of reading blocks after their catches.

25 completions for over 200 yards is 8 yards per completion not 5.8 yards per completion
Does anyone use/track yards per completion as a stat? Yards per attempt is the standard, I that is the confusion.

Last edited:
I keep trying to remind myself the Ø line minus 65 and Schott is pretty raw in experience. I thought they looked better today and if the upward trend continues they should be a salty unit by the time Ped St comes calling….
Unfortunately we have to play a very good Maryland team first. Acting like that is a gimme is a big mistake.

Reactions: artradley
Absolutely ... we left yards on the field due to poor downfield blocking today (by non-OLinemen).

On the flip side ... I think that we did see some improvements made on the OL today. Incremental and not necessarily huge ... but improvements nonetheless!
The OL by the back quarter of the schedule will be a major strength. A lot of inexperienced talent on this line. Each game they're taking strides forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT