ADVERTISEMENT

myanmar/burma coup...

*djt has entered the chat*

djt: i woud have had the biggliest coup ever. Everybody is saying it

Reactions: BelemNole
I've been paying a little attention to it.

We had a ton of refugees from that area when I worked in South Dakota. For the most part they were awesome, first generation immigrants. Our manufacturing business probably wouldn't have been able to stay in business without them.

I heard a lot of horror stories from that region from the employees and they had a ton of appreciation for everything they had in America, but mostly they were happy that nobody was pointing a gun at them and killing them because they were the wrong religion.

I've been paying a little attention to it.

We had a ton of refugees from that area when I worked in South Dakota. For the most part they were awesome, first generation immigrants. Our manufacturing business probably wouldn't have been able to stay in business without them.

I heard a lot of horror stories from that region from the employees and they had a ton of appreciation for everything they had in America, but mostly they were happy that nobody was pointing a gun at them and killing them because they were the wrong religion.

It always amazes me to realize that certain folks talk bad about immigrants who only want a chance at a better life... like my ancestors did.

It was, sadly, only a matter of time, I'm afraid. The military was never really committed to giving up total control.

Yah I got interested in it and read into it one night. That whole country is screwed with the genocide happening and now the military taking hold. The person the military overtook is just as bad as these military guys with what happened with the genocide.

It always amazes me to realize that certain folks talk bad about immigrants who only want a chance at a better life... like my ancestors did.
And I'm sure your ancestors had to abide by rules of emigrating from wherever they were from (many couldn't just by a ticket and leave), and also were processed through ports of entry like Ellis Island. So it really amazes me that people today assume there aren't any rules to follow.

And I'm sure your ancestors had to abide by rules of emigrating from wherever they were from (many couldn't just by a ticket and leave), and also were processed through ports of entry like Ellis Island. So it really amazes me that people today assume there aren't any rules to follow.
Yeah, and who are the workers coming into your country to support your way of life? The US birthrate is below the 2.1 per family required to keep a stable, not growing, population. You best push for a dignified and efficient immigration system, lest your way of life suffer.
BTW, my peeps came in circa 1609. Rules for emigration did not exist.

Reactions: OrlandNole
Yeah, I've been watching this pretty closely. Extremely troubling to see the military junta pull this.

Almost just as troubling was to hear all of these Americans at the end of December complain so strongly about 'why are we sending all this money to foreign countries that hate us?!?!?!'. It's almost as if these people have been completely unaware that first-world nations have been helping poverty stricken countries for decades.

I did a 2-month project in Myanmar back in 2006 during the peak of heat season. Hottest you could possibly imagine with no electricity throughout most of the day. To this day, I don't think I've complained once about summer weather.

Anyway, we were told not to discuss politics with locals as it was illegal. I was working with a guy from Spain and a woman from Colombia. Everyone I spoke to - the taxi driver, local students, the hotel staff, the waiter - everyone asks 'Where are you from?'. As soon as I said America, they'd immediately want to discuss politics. Several of them - and I'm not kidding - said 'George Bush is a great man. Bless George Bush'

Remember, this is 2006. I had to ask why they liked Bush so much. And I quote....'Because.....he liberated Iraq. He liberated Afghanistan. When will be liberate us?'

It was heartbreaking. These poor people honestly thought the United States was going to send in troops to spread democracy across the land.

And right as they're experiencing the closest thing to democracy that they've ever experienced in their lives, this happens. The international community cannot let this slide.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT