ADVERTISEMENT

Name a great townie bar…

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
…close to where you live. I’m talking a place that can make a mean burger/tenderloin, legit food specials like a steak or fish night, ice cold beer, a friendly staff that can give shit as well as take it, a bunch of old boys at the bar, etc.

For me, in Johnson County it doesn’t get any better than 218 Tap in Hills. Love that place.

Not near where I live but I love Gerb's Bar and Grill in Stacyville. It's our usual hangout when hunting around there. Never had a bad meal there. Fantastic pizza.

Reactions: Hawki97
San Ann Liquors, in San Antonio, FL. Classic small-town dive bar that has been around for 60 or so years in the same place; still the spot where everyone gathers on holiday weekends, college kids are home, class reunion weekends, or other times when a number of folks who've moved away are in town to visit family.

Locals still refer to it as Ralph's Bar, after the founder & owner for the first 30+ years. He sold it 25 or 30 years ago & the legal name (and sign) changed, but to anyone who's from here it will always be Ralphs.

There's one here in Seminole called the Angry Pepper that fits your description. Also Joto's Pizza that is 100% local, most of the staff goes to the high school up the street and Seminole High memorabilia is all of the walls. We enjoy going to both to be local rather than always hanging with the tourists on the beach.

…close to where you live. I’m talking a place that can make a mean burger/tenderloin, legit food specials like a steak or fish night, ice cold beer, a friendly staff that can give shit as well as take it, a bunch of old boys at the bar, etc.

For me, in Johnson County it doesn’t get any better than 218 Tap in Hills. Love that place.
I grew up in that bar- .25 in the Bus Stop Pinball machine and .25 in the Jukebox for 3 plays...
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Sweet Cherry Wine
3. All Along the Watchtower

Previous names starting in 1958:
Charlies Place
Poad's
Jerry and Sandy's
Hank's Place
Irene's
Critters
Jack's Office
Max's
Billy Suter's
Fessler's
Iguana's
218 Tap

I likely missed 2 - 3...

It’s on the sign yo….
applebees.jpg

The Chicken House in Kalona was where we went after softball games. Red could cram about 100 people in about 500 square feet. Natural gas explosion blew the place up about 3 am one night or it could have been the " Great White " tragedy right here in Kalona..
Hard Luck fits the bill now, believe they were runner up for best tenderloin in the state a few years back. Renee’s Roadhouse another 1, it’s also had quite a few names, most locals just call it windham. She has really good food

Reactions: Pinehawk
I grew up in that bar- .25 in the Bus Stop Pinball machine and .25 in the Jukebox for 3 plays...
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Sweet Cherry Wine
3. All Along the Watchtower

Previous names starting in 1958:
Charlies Place
Poad's
Jerry and Sandy's
Hank's Place
Irene's
Critters
Jack's Office
Max's
Billy Suter's
Fessler's
Iguana's
218 Tap

I likely missed 2 - 3...

God damn…you are old school southern JoCo! How many wooden nickels have I bought you over the years?

The Chicken House in Kalona was where we went after softball games. Red could cram about 100 people in about 500 square feet. Natural gas explosion blew the place up about 3 am one night or it could have been the " Great White " tragedy right here in Kalona..
Red passed away here several weeks ago.

• Sad
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
A shit hole and the owner is an asshole. I prefer Your Place, Tom and Teresa are good folk, at least when they had it. Lorie is good folk as well.
Never went to Your Place after a few customers told us to avoid it. Went to Corner Bar instead and what another shit hole. Between Corner Bar and T-Bocks, I could care less to have another beer in Decorah again.

From my home town, probably Lebowskis (used to be Hoodwinks).

In CR, we like Nick's Bar and Grill. Good food, especially breakfast.

I will say a true dive bar doesn't serve food. In that case West Side Lounge. They only take cash too.

Some other favorite haunts in CR

Gilligan's
Rumors
CJs
Just Coz

I may drink too much 🤣🍻

Reactions: TailgateTom
Cat’s Meow in Soulard in St. Louis. Just a couple blocks from the brewery.

Limited food options - Potato chips you grab off a wire rack, or they will heat up a TJ’s pizza in a toaster oven behind the bar. That’s it.

It’s a tavern, not a bar, but it’s perfect.

Pitchers of beer for $1.65 back in the day; that’s gone up some but still great. Cash only; no cards. Old school mechanical shuffleboard type bowling game; great juke box; second shift brewery workers getting a pre-work eye opener; Wash U co-eds coming in from the County. @JWolf74 will back me up in this one.

The perfect tavern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT