ADVERTISEMENT

Nascar Race in Newton

Really thought about it for the experience but ultimately said no. Will watch off and on tonight though

Me passing might be the only pass of the day.

Sounds hot.

Is it an ESPN telecast race?

I have a relative who is a race spotter for ESPN and does Indy every year, I believe...
He's probably there if ESPN is there.

You guys missed out. That was ****ing awesome. I haven't watched a nascar race in 20 years probably. Good food. Great scenery. Awesome cars. I had a blast.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Early reports are that Iowa did a great job pulling this off. If true, that is good news.
It was really good. Hardly stood in line for anything. And the miracle was, since we stayed in Grinell tonight, our lane out flew. Took us maybe 15 minutes to get to the interstate. The line going back towards des moines probably took much much longer.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
It was really good. Hardly stood in line for anything. And the miracle was, since we stayed in Grinell tonight, our lane out flew. Took us maybe 15 minutes to get to the interstate. The line going back towards des moines probably took much much longer.

I'm not a die hard racing fan, but I had hoped they would get a Cup race since they started building that place. There were times I thought there is no chance. Now that they have done it successfully, that means they are coming back. Great for Iowa.

yeah-alright-ill-see-you-guys-there.gif

I’ll never understand the draw of car races. It’s about as enjoyable as this spicy shit I’m taking right now. If I had to choose between watching cars race or having a burning sphincter, I’d choose the latter every time.

I’ll never understand the draw of car races. It’s about as enjoyable as this spicy shit I’m taking right now. If I had to choose between watching cars race or having a burning sphincter, I’d choose the latter every time.
NTTIAWWT

You have to go once to experience the energy, sound, and sights of it to understand the draw of racing. As someone stated previously, the scenery can be quite entertaining as well. Gone to plenty of races and the things you see in the parking/tailgating area can rival the race. Fun times.

I enjoy the sprint cars in Knoxville about once a year. Races are quick with good action.

Gets old fast.

I would like to go to nascar and Indy car once just to soak it all in but I think tickets are too high for what I want to get out of it.

Me passing might be the only pass of the day.

Sounds hot.
Actually there was a lot of passing. First, the Hawkeye car spun out in the 3rd lap so he was at the back. I'm not sure where he finished but he raced his way to the middle of the pack.

Also, Kyle Larson, (who I guess is the best this year, I had never heard of him before yesterday) was I think 27th at the re-start at lap 82 or so. By lap 150 or so he was 3rd. And that was all green flag racing. He passed almost every driver. It was really fun to watch. He would have won if he didn't wreck imo.

One more cool thing I didn't know would happen last night. There is a runway right behind the track. I'd say within 20 minutes or less of the race being done there was private jets taking off left and right. I'm guessing the drivers get the **** outta there as quick as possible? Or maybe the owners? It was pretty cool to see.

This. I can’t think of anything much worse than going to some hot, sweaty, obnoxiously loud, boring AF, smelly, redneck event in the middle of nowhere. Have a guns and jesus rally out front and you’d hit the trifecta.

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I was at Menards in Marion shortly after it opened and Paul Menard was there with his Cup car. He drove it around the lumber yard for a little bit, ripping on it and cornering hard. It sounded incredible inside those high walls. I’m not much of a NASCAR fan, but I appreciate the raw power of those engines. That’s my thread addition.

Actually there was a lot of passing. First, the Hawkeye car spun out in the 3rd lap so he was at the back. I'm not sure where he finished but he raced his way to the middle of the pack.

Also, Kyle Larson, (who I guess is the best this year, I had never heard of him before yesterday) was I think 27th at the re-start at lap 82 or so. By lap 150 or so he was 3rd. And that was all green flag racing. He passed almost every driver. It was really fun to watch. He would have won if he didn't wreck imo.
Broadcast was meh, didn't like the split screen. Announced crowd was 45K. Once Blaney took the lead the race was essentially over, no yellows to draw the field into a bunch. Thats the thing about Newton, once you get a lead it's nearly impossible for your car to lose, unless it actually sucks. Been that way for basically every race since the tracks inception.

You have to go once to experience the energy, sound, and sights of it to understand the draw of racing. As someone stated previously, the scenery can be quite entertaining as well. Gone to plenty of races and the things you see in the parking/tailgating area can rival the race. Fun times.
Are you talking strictly nascar or races in general? I’ve been dragged to a couple of stock car races but never understood the draw.

Anyone going?
I used to co-sponsor a car. Minor sponsor but hell our decal was on it ;) It's awesome and I generally hate anything redneck whatsoever. I've done both Indy and Nascar in the pits and all I can say is, "It cray." As much as I think paying football, baseball and other dopes is insane, I'd give all my money to race car drivers. The shit they do is wild and dangerous and helluva noisy. Go see it live. You will be forever changed!

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
This. I can’t think of anything much worse than going to some hot, sweaty, obnoxiously loud, boring AF, smelly, redneck event in the middle of nowhere. Have a guns and jesus rally out front and you’d hit the trifecta.
Unlike kinnick, where people have called me the N word, I have never experienced racism at Newton. Sure, there are some morons flying the dixie flag but they stick to themselves. More are just curious about meeting other people. For a while, an Indian guy like me raced trucks in the US and there are some foreign drivers at multiple levels of racing and multiple formats.

I love NASCAR. I don’t watch every race start to finish but I try and get a peek on tv when I can.
Been hooked ever since my first event: sounds, smells, feeling the power of the car, getting housed in the stands, enjoying the event and not having anyone talk cause so loud. Incredible experience.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Unlike kinnick, where people have called me the N word, I have never experienced racism at Newton. Sure, there are some morons flying the dixie flag but they stick to themselves. More are just curious about meeting other people. For a while, an Indian guy like me raced trucks in the US and there are some foreign drivers at multiple levels of racing and multiple formats.
I didn't even think of that. I saw no rebel flags. I don't even think I saw any Trump flags for that matter, although I bet they were there.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I didn't even think of that. I saw no rebel flags. I don't even think I saw any Trump flags for that matter, although I bet they were there.
Like I said, autoracing is fun. And doesn't translate to tv. It's wild.
As are airshows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT