ADVERTISEMENT

NBA And China Love

Mar 14, 2003
I find it kind of funny how Kerr, Popvich, Players, and others tow the line when it comes to China. Yet when it comes to spouting their progressive nonsense they can’t keep their mouths shut.

Reactions: Rudolph
Kerr has it right. It’s like the woke thing is inverted when politically expedient. Kerr speaking up against abuses here is in defense of human rights. Defending human rights here defends them everywhere. Is the expectation that the NBA only do business where society is perfect? Good luck with that. So NBA is expected to navigate all political issues such that all parties stand and cheer? Impossible.

I love the emotional response to this. Americans are lost. Only emotional appeals are processed.

Petulant children screaming for attention and affirmation.

Kerr has it right. It’s like the woke thing is inverted when politically expedient. Kerr speaking up against abuses here is in defense of human rights. Defending human rights here defends them everywhere. Is the expectation that the NBA only do business where society is perfect? Good luck with that. So NBA is expected to navigate all political issues such that all parties stand and cheer? Impossible.

I love the emotional response to this. Americans are lost. Only emotional appeals are processed.

LOLz, it’s all about money for the NBA. Nobody watches them in the USA anymore so they need Chinese cash.

You think its an emotional problem for people to be upset that have been lectured by 'woke' individuals like yourself and Kerr on issue like bathroom use for .000005 percent of the population that are now be told by same woke individuals to not worry about human rights abusers like China because we have our own issues to worry about? Man you sure are something.

Why is it so hard for him to specifically call out a country that harvest human organs?

That is a good comparison. Trump is an idiot who all about his business and fortune same with Kerr. Except one of them acts 'woke' when it is politically cool to do so then cowers when it affects the bottom line.
Wrong. See this is the new SJW thing—where the Right turns fighting for civil rights for all into something derogatory. “Woke” to you is cultural. To me it is capital C Constitutional. What a weird place the Right has created for itself. Social justice warrior sounds like something for which we should all strive. Being “woke” seems admirable given our Constitution.

Now, of course, the Right churns out the most extreme optics of SJW-ness and “woke”-ness it can find. Consider who and what that serves. It sure as shit isn’t the lofty ideals of our Constitution.

Reactions: naturalmwa
You think its an emotional problem for people to be upset that have been lectured by 'woke' individuals like yourself and Kerr on issue like bathroom use for .000005 percent of the population that are now be told by same woke individuals to not worry about human rights abusers like China because we have our own issues to worry about? Man you sure are something.
Yes, I do. The bathroom issue is in larger context a civil rights issue. And it’s a tricky one, no doubt. You felt “lectured to” which, of course, is source for your emotional petulant child response.

NBA isn’t lecturing. You appear to be finding ways to feel aggrieved and impositioned like some spoiled brat. I’m not lecturing, I’m observing and opining.

This is complicated and nuanced. Should every business doing business in China leave immediately? Or only the NBA because the NBA had the gall to stand up for one of our most Constitutional concepts—civil rights—here at home.

The constant reverting to the most simplistic, emotion-borne arguments make us Americans look lost.

Yes, I do. The bathroom issue is in larger context a civil rights issue. And it’s a tricky one, no doubt. You felt “lectured to” which, of course, is source for your emotional petulant child response.

NBA isn’t lecturing. You appear to be finding ways to feel aggrieved and impositioned like some spoiled brat. I’m not lecturing, I’m observing and opining.

This is complicated and nuanced. Should every business doing business in China leave immediately? Or only the NBA because the NBA had the gall to stand up for one of our most Constitutional concepts—civil rights—here at home.

The constant reverting to the most simplistic, emotion-borne arguments make us Americans look lost.
I simply want them(Kerr, Silver, Pop) to say its bad for China to have concentration camps, harvest human organs, and are anti-democratic. If wanting that is emotional I don't know what to tell ya.

I simply want them(Kerr, Silver, Pop) to say its bad for China to have concentration camps, harvest human organs, and are anti-democratic. If wanting that is emotional I don't know what to tell ya.
Were you ever emotional about this before the NBA became burdened with your de facto presidential-level leadership expectations?

I mean, chances are you’re wearing an item of clothing produced in China, or using fabric produced under conditions surely you find abhorrent. Your device you’re using to HROT surely is rooted to China.

Let the story play out a bit. Or stay stuck in your petulant, emotional state of man-baby. Whatever feels right for you.

Reactions: BringIt2017
You know, because of that liberal capitalism. o_O
We know that already natural. But please don't be 'woke' on one issue but silent on an issue that affects far more people and goes against 'principles' and 'values' that the left spouts/preaches about all the time. If your for civil rights/human rights in the states you should be for human/civil rights all across the world. By not answering any questions about China's harvesting of organs/concentration camps, etc...(and then comparing gun owners in the United States to China's government policies) he shows that he really doesn't care about those issues if the almighty dollar is being threatened. I guess he and Lebron finally listened to Laura Ingraham's advice. Not very 'woke' of them.

The only thing complex about the situation is the billions of dollars.

Political executions, forced abortions, concentration camps, and state sponsored censorship has zero gray area.

if you can’t denounce that stuff you are a pussy and a hypocrite period.

We know that already natural. But please don't be 'woke' on one issue but silent on an issue that affects far more people and goes against 'principles' and 'values' that the left spouts/preaches about all the time. If your for civil rights/human rights in the states you should be for human/civil rights all across the world. By not answer any questions about China's harvesting of organs/concentration camps, etc... he shows that he really doesn't care about those issues if the almighty dollar is being threatened. I guess he and Lebron finally listened to Laura Ingraham's advice. Not very 'woke' of them.
You seem to think it’s better to never do the right thing then to do the right thing when it’s profitable. Corporations aren’t woke or liberal. They are simply marketing within our capitalist system. You aren’t indicting the left here. You are indicting the economic system the right practically worships.

The only thing complex about the situation is the billions of dollars.

Political executions, forced abortions, concentration camps, and state sponsored censorship has zero gray area.

if you can’t denounce that stuff you are a pussy and a hypocrite period.
So let’s say NBA does an outright denunciation. Then what?

I thought they should shut up when it comes to politics? Or do you simply pick & choose when to say that? Seems like you'd be a good christian, they love to pick & choose bible verses to spout on. Yeah you definitely seem like one.

I might cheer for them. Maybe buy some swag. It would be good marketing to the woke.
Lol. Seriously, though, what the fûck do people think happens next? When people are emotional they’re really not thinking much.

Your post #22 alludes to something with better directness that I am much less directly trying to get people to consider.

So let’s say NBA does an outright denunciation. Then what?

My guess is China pulls back from NBA, the league loses millions and the owners make less money and the salary cap goes down and the players make less money.

it’s why they are shutting up as a collective group and I would bet my life savings the league has sent memos to every team and player telling them if they don’t shut up they will be costing themselves money.

I really wouldn’t want to listen to a priest give mass if he has raped boys. I also don’t care to listen to NBA players tell me how woke they are and somebody should be able to use any restroom they want but refuse to denounce a black and white situation like Hong Kong and China in general.

Didn't the NBA threaten to pull the all-star game out of North Carolina for anti-gay laws. Maybe they could give China the old NC treatment. As much as North Carolina sucks, I'm sure China is worse.

Lol. Seriously, though, what the fûck do people think happens next? When people are emotional they’re really not thinking much.

Your post #22 alludes to something with better directness that I am much less directly trying to get people to consider.

You must be a cyborg - uniquely able to think and reason without emotion. Always lecturing us mortals that get things muddled up. Very impressive.

Didn't the NBA threaten to pull the all-star game out of North Carolina for anti-gay laws. Maybe they could give China the old NC treatment. As much as North Carolina sucks, I'm sure China is worse.
They did pull the All Star game from NC.

because they are woke and have a social conscience. It’s obvious now.

I think people would like to feel good about themselves. That’s difficult enough when you’re using a device made is a suicide sweatshop. Now a group of NBA “heroes” who many have grown up seeing as roll models, have let us all down again.

I think it’s great to call out China and be pissed at companies for embracing their values. I just think the hypocrisy of claiming the problem here is the left is just a bit too rich. Especially so considering it’s usually cons who tell us it’s silly to boycott businesses that you don’t agree with politically.

I hope everyone stops watching the NBA over this. But then go the next level and start checking your labels and avoid as many Chinese goods as possible. I think that’s something you advocated for already. This should be a unifying topic, but the usual suspects seem intent on creating divisions where there really aren’t any.

My guess is China pulls back from NBA, the league loses millions and the owners make less money and the salary cap goes down and the players make less money.

it’s why they are shutting up as a collective group and I would bet my life savings the league has sent memos to every team and player telling them if they don’t shut up they will be costing themselves money.

I really wouldn’t want to listen to a priest give mass if he has raped boys. I also don’t care to listen to NBA players tell me how woke they are and somebody should be able to use any restroom they want but refuse to denounce a black and white situation like Hong Kong and China in general.
Okay, then what? Should others doing business in China follow suit? Should we all just turn our backs on a country that sort of owns a large potion of US debt? This, eventually, plays out to some really massive implications.

This is not the easy shit many are trying to make this out to be. Has Trump commented yet? I’m guessing not or we would have heard about it. Lotta Trump business in China. Talk about conflicts of interest.

Will you boycott the NBA?

I think people would like to feel good about themselves. That’s difficult enough when you’re using a device made is a suicide sweatshop. Now a group of NBA “heroes” who many have grown up seeing as roll models, have let us all down again.

I think it’s great to call out China and be pissed at companies for embracing their values. I just think the hypocrisy of claiming the problem here is the left is just a bit too rich. Especially so considering it’s usually cons who tell us it’s silly to boycott businesses that you don’t agree with politically.

I hope everyone stops watching the NBA over this. But then go the next level and start checking your labels and avoid as many Chinese goods as possible. I think that’s something you advocated for already. This should be a unifying topic, but the usual suspects seem intent on creating divisions where there really aren’t any.
Exactly. To me this opens a door to important conversations about globalism, neoliberalism, etc. Hell, there is a not-so-indirect relationship between those possible conversations and the crux of the fücking Green New Deal. That people won’t read. That supports a lot of the feelings of resentment implicitly connected to globalism and neoliberalism expressed here in this thread.

But people need ribbons.

So perhaps the NBA has never been "woke", and all of their positions have been based on nothing more than their own personal financial interests,... If true, that would at least make them consistent...

He doesn't watch the NBA in the first place.
I thought he was bragging about his NBA knowledge. That must come from somewhere.

If this NBA thing is an issue for anyone, then they need to consider avoiding them, be that in person, on TV or radio or in print or the internet.

I thought he was bragging about his NBA knowledge. That must come from somewhere.

If this NBA thing is an issue for anyone, then they need to consider avoiding them, be that in person, on TV or radio or in print or the internet.

Oh he brags about it, but can't name more than 10 players in the Association. He's your typical middle age white Iowan when it comes to opinions on the NBA, if that helps. I assume he gets his info from Breitbart sports page, as he certainly doesn't watch the games.

You must be a cyborg - uniquely able to think and reason without emotion. Always lecturing us mortals that get things muddled up. Very impressive.
I've been quite open about my own emotional triggers. If you feel like I'm lecturing, maybe that's a you thing more than a me thing. But thanks for the compliments?

I am disappoint. I was hoping you would recommend some type of woke tax.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT