ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Finals Thread

Go back and rewatch the match, man. It's true.

Carr takes Mess down five seconds into the first period and rides him until 1:14 left. Mess doesn't take a committed shot for the rest of the period. Just constant pressure, head fakes, and a couple of half shots.

End of first period = 0 committed shots from Mess

Carr starts on the bottom and gets his first stall call with 1:38 left in the second period, right after he gets his escape. No shot from Mess, just Carr backing out of bounds after escaping on the edge of the mat.

With 1:33 left in the second period, Mess takes his first committed shot and gets in on the leg which leads to a stalemate.

With 0:44 left in the second, Mess gets hit in the head, backs out of bounds, and calls a timeout. They restart and Mess takes another half shot at 0:39, and the official calls the second stalling even though we still only have the one committed shot from Mess.

At 0:34, immediately after the stall call, Carr shoots in and secures his second takedown.

End of the second period = 1 committed shot from Mess

Mess goes down in the third and with 1:40, Carr is riding Mess and gets his third stall call (deserved) right as Mess escapes.

1:21 Mess takes his second committed shot of the match and finishes.

Carr escapes and Messenbrink doesn't take another committed shot the rest of the match. You could maybe say at 0:19 left, but that would be iffy as he just sorta dove in out of desperation.

End of the match = 2 committed shots from Mess

Yes, I commented to my kid when do you think mess wrestled a match w/o touching this opponents leg for close to 4 minutes?

So in the first two periods, Carr gets two takedowns off his own shot attempts and still somehow gives up two stall calls, even when Mesenbrink had only committed to one shot in two periods.

Meanwhile, during the first two periods of 125, Drake takes two committed shots plus 4 or 5 slide-by attempts while Figuroa takes zero committed shots and comes away unscathed. Then he scores a defensive takes down in the waning seconds of the period off Drake's action after spending the majority of the first five minutes of the match with his butt facing out of bounds.

And as someone said, Levi Haines got a stall call before he even took a committed shot. They hit Teemer the first time and Burroughs says, "Levi hasn't taken enough risks or attempts to warrant giving him a stall call" and then Cormier comes in and says "Well, you gotta call somebody." LOL okay, so why doesn't that apply in all matches?!

This is what I am talking about. Is it based on your shot attempts? If that is the case, Mess shouldn't have gotten a call until the third period. Or can you get calls by pressuring and moving forward? If that's the case, Ayala absolutely should have gotten another call.
Amen.

anybody have the top 10 team scores they can post?
The ref in the Carr vs. Mess match is not a good official. He was the ref who blew the TD call in the PSU vs. Ohio State dual at 125. His tendency is to not call stalling.
He hardly called stalling the whole tournament.
He wanted to be a part of the match. The biggest travesty would’ve been costing Carr the match. He should not be allowed to officiate next year in the finals.

The ref in the Carr vs. Mess match is not a good official. He was the ref who blew the TD call in the PSU vs. Ohio State dual at 125. His tendency is to not call stalling.
He hardly called stalling the whole tournament.
He wanted to be a part of the match. The biggest travesty would’ve been costing Carr the match. He should not be allowed to officiate next year in the finals.
Something definitely fishy about him. Was he even watching the match?

Reactions: vhsalum
Only match where the stall calls really stood out was 174. You hit welsh with 2 in the first and angel swallows the whistle completely in the third when star was running as good as he could. No consistency what so ever. Angel should have his license pulled. He is horrendous
As a PSU fan, you gotta know we cringe when we get Angel. He is unpredictable, inconsistent, does NOT appear to know the rules, is WAY too involved in the match, and arrogant to boot. He reminds me of Eric Gregg and the other baseball ump everyone hated; both got canned, as should Angel

Facts, we are stale moldy bread and they are fresh out of the oven. I have zero faith of much changing under current leadership. Taking off work and setting up camp in my living room to watch this tournament has been a tradition until this year. There just isn't much to be optimistic about.
The optimism is the thing that kills me.
I don’t mind being underdogs. But underdogs that you just know who will do the same tricks and leave you inevitably disappointed every year is simply, boring.

Reactions: MVPFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT