ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Finals Thread

Only match where the stall calls really stood out was 174. You hit welsh with 2 in the first and angel swallows the whistle completely in the third when star was running as good as he could. No consistency what so ever. Angel should have his license pulled. He is horrendous
Not saying it’s right or wrong but the refs called stalling when guys backed up against shots (even half shots). They called fewer stalls when guys backed up against pressure without shots. Gotta shoot.

Push out rule will help, but damn. Offense. I'm not a big Askren fan, but he always sums it up. Put yourself in wrestling positions. Even Drake. He pushed. Figs should have been hit more, but you can't just plod forward, and expect points from the ref. Have you not realized that they aren't calling it just for pushing? Snap and move the head. I saw most of the calls( not all right) came from snapping down, and controlling center. Like it or not, that's been the vibe all year. Same refs at the tournament that you see all year. Not the hardest thing to prepare for.

I'm not saying everyone that wrestles in D1 that isn't on Penn State's team is trash for letting Penn State break the scoring record...........................................but they're all trash for letting Penn State break the scoring record.

just-saying-colin-jost.gif

My predictions:
PSU will win first place so at least I will have one thing right.
285: Kerk with a easy win without bonus.
126: Drake with a couple of good slide bys for the win. He is just wrestling good at the right time.
133 Vito is back to form and makes Fix look stupid with the do nothing thing and win.
141: Real still the best. Mendez with a wild scramble for the win in the third.
149: Toss up. I think Gomez has got to much for Henson and wins.
157: Haines over Teemer.
165: Likely best match of night. Messenbrink pushing pace and Carr countering and calculating. I think Carr pulls it out.
174: Star with knee and motivating posts for Rocco but will actually help Star win because he is great at countering and wearing people down.
184: Plott really looks good this year but Keke is the man. This could turn into bonus points.
197: Brooks takes out Hidlay in the last match of the night. He will coast. They should have had MM and Carr the last match.
Turned out much like you called.

Back when Mendez was being recruited, I remember a guy on the Inner Circle board that was close with the Mendez family. He posted something along the lines of asking Hector (Mendez dad) what about Jesse going to Iowa. Hector responded with how can Iowa improve Jesse’s skillet. Essentially questioning Iowa’s development. Take that as you will.
Ohio State has been collecting a lot of talent but has still underperformed, so don’t know why you would pick them as great developers. The old man should be taking to our coaches about those things, not a fan.

Not sure if you guys were aware, but Bartlett’s win over McNeil in the semis was SEM on SEM crime. They were teammates there in 19 and 20.

Not sure if you guys were aware, but Bartlett’s win over McNeil in the semis was SEM on SEM crime. They were teammates there in 19 and 20.
Amazing what Wyoming Seminary has done. I lived in the Wyoming Valley growing up. Seminary was a sleepy school for rich kids. Not much in athletics.

Reactions: PSU197276
My predictions:
PSU will win first place so at least I will have one thing right.
285: Kerk with a easy win without bonus.
126: Drake with a couple of good slide bys for the win. He is just wrestling good at the right time.
133 Vito is back to form and makes Fix look stupid with the do nothing thing and win.
141: Real still the best. Mendez with a wild scramble for the win in the third.
149: Toss up. I think Gomez has got to much for Henson and wins.
157: Haines over Teemer.
165: Likely best match of night. Messenbrink pushing pace and Carr countering and calculating. I think Carr pulls it out.
174: Star with knee and motivating posts for Rocco but will actually help Star win because he is great at countering and wearing people down.
184: Plott really looks good this year but Keke is the man. This could turn into bonus points.
197: Brooks takes out Hidlay in the last match of the night. He will coast. They should have had MM and Carr the last match.
This was some solid prognostication

Reactions: WildTurk
I think 125 might have gone differently if they had called stalls on ASU like they did on Carr and on Welsh.
It's the inconsistency that's so frustrating, and how it always seems to favor one particular team.

Haines and Starocci were both rewarded a stall point before the end of the first period but Ayala got one call the entire match. Can anyone explain how Carr got three calls against him while Fig only got one? Carr had two takedowns and over 2 minutes of riding time. Fig scored one questionable defensive takedown on the edge of the mat off Drake's shot.

Also, I missed it last night but rewatching today I noticed JB and DC were mocking Iowa fans for wanting another stall call on Figueroa as he spent the entire match wrestling on the edge of the mat. Then later in the broadcast, JB brings up stalling and how folkstyle needs pushouts. They were about as bad as the official last night lol.

It's the inconsistency that's so frustrating, and how it always seems to favor one particular team.

Haines and Starocci were both rewarded a stall point before the end of the first period but Ayala got one call the entire match. Can anyone explain how Carr got three calls against him while Fig only got one? Carr had two takedowns and over 2 minutes of riding time. Fig scored one questionable defensive takedown on the edge of the mat off Drake's shot.

Also, I missed it last night but rewatching today I noticed JB and DC were mocking Iowa fans for wanting another stall call on Figueroa as he spent the entire match wrestling on the edge of the mat. Then later in the broadcast, JB brings up stalling and how folkstyle needs pushouts. They were about as bad as the official last night lol.
Are the stalling calls inconsistent? Absolutely, yes. College wrestling is in a bad place right now with officials. 133 was an embarrassment to the sport.

But I don’t think you can compare Carr to Figs for stall calls. Messenbrink put way more effort into that match than Ayala. In my opinion, Ayala didn’t do near enough to warrant multiple stall calls.

Are the stalling calls inconsistent? Absolutely, yes. College wrestling is in a bad place right now with officials. 133 was an embarrassment to the sport.

But I don’t think you can compare Carr to Figs for stall calls. Messenbrink put way more effort into that match than Ayala. In my opinion, Ayala didn’t do near enough to warrant multiple stall calls.
I disagree - Ayala took plenty of shots to warrant another call, especially with Fig living on the edge of the mat. Mess was head-faking, taking half shots, and constantly moving forward - exactly what Desanto would do, which PSU fans called stalling. I think he only got in deep twice and finished once.

Carr's first call was two seconds after he escaped and backed out of bounds. The second call was after a Mess half shot (and 5 seconds after he took a timeout), and Carr scored a takedown immediately after. The only stall call that was warranted was the third call.

Last edited:

Yep. They were obviously calling stalling based on shot attempts. Drake can do himself a lot of favors broadening his move set on his feet. Makes his killer throw by that much more dangerous.

Plain and simple guys need to be coached not to follow to the edge and hand fight there. Literally back up to center and point to center mat. Do it enough, the ref has to stop swallowing his whistle and call it.

• Love
Reactions: Inthecircle
That's not true. Messenbrink is going to make anyone he wrestles look like they're stalling. Carr wrestled that match perfectly.
Go back and rewatch the match, man. It's true.

Carr takes Mess down five seconds into the first period and rides him until 1:14 left. Mess doesn't take a committed shot for the rest of the period. Just constant pressure, head fakes, and a couple of half shots.

End of first period = 0 committed shots from Mess

Carr starts on the bottom and gets his first stall call with 1:38 left in the second period, right after he gets his escape. No shot from Mess, just Carr backing out of bounds after escaping on the edge of the mat.

With 1:33 left in the second period, Mess takes his first committed shot and gets in on the leg which leads to a stalemate.

With 0:44 left in the second, Mess gets hit in the head, backs out of bounds, and calls a timeout. They restart and Mess takes another half shot at 0:39, and the official calls the second stalling even though we still only have the one committed shot from Mess.

At 0:34, immediately after the stall call, Carr shoots in and secures his second takedown.

End of the second period = 1 committed shot from Mess

Mess goes down in the third and with 1:40, Carr is riding Mess and gets his third stall call (deserved) right as Mess escapes.

1:21 Mess takes his second committed shot of the match and finishes.

Carr escapes and Messenbrink doesn't take another committed shot the rest of the match. You could maybe say at 0:19 left, but that would be iffy as he just sorta dove in out of desperation.

End of the match = 2 committed shots from Mess

If ESPiN doesn’t put better announcers on the broadcasts, it won’t matter. They WILL lose the audience.
8 of 10 matches being stallfests and or wrecked by non stop challenges is a far bigger issue than bad announcing. My 2 boys love wrestling and they had trouble watching the entire thing.

Reactions: Inthecircle
So in the first two periods, Carr gets two takedowns off his own shot attempts and still somehow gives up two stall calls, even when Mesenbrink had only committed to one shot in two periods.

Meanwhile, during the first two periods of 125, Drake takes two committed shots plus 4 or 5 slide-by attempts while Figuroa takes zero committed shots and comes away unscathed. Then he scores a defensive takes down in the waning seconds of the period off Drake's action after spending the majority of the first five minutes of the match with his butt facing out of bounds.

And as someone said, Levi Haines got a stall call before he even took a committed shot. They hit Teemer the first time and Burroughs says, "Levi hasn't taken enough risks or attempts to warrant giving him a stall call" and then Cormier comes in and says "Well, you gotta call somebody." LOL okay, so why doesn't that apply in all matches?!

This is what I am talking about. Is it based on your shot attempts? If that is the case, Mess shouldn't have gotten a call until the third period. Or can you get calls by pressuring and moving forward? If that's the case, Ayala absolutely should have gotten another call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT