ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Updates Guidance re: Athletes and Gambling

RossWB

HR Heisman
Staff
Feb 1, 2006
The NCAA has some new guidelines regarding student-athletes and sports wagering, particularly re: reinstatement policies.

For all wagering-related violations reported on or after May 2, the following guidelines will apply:

• Student-athletes who engage in activities to influence the outcomes of their own games or knowingly provide information to individuals involved in sports betting activities will potentially face permanent loss of collegiate eligibility in all sports. This would also apply to student-athletes who wager on their own games or on other sports at their own schools.
  • If a student-athlete wagers on their own sport at another school, education on sports wagering rules and prevention will be required as a condition of reinstatement, and the loss of 50% of one season of eligibility will be considered.
  • For all other wagering-related violations (e.g., wagering on professional sports), cumulative dollar value of the wagers will be taken into consideration with the following terms for reinstatement:
    • $200 or less: sports wagering rules and prevention education.
    • $201-$500: loss of 10% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • $501-$800: loss of 20% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • Greater than $800: loss of 30% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
For cumulative wagering activities that greatly exceed $800, NCAA reinstatement staff are directed to consider whether additional loss of eligibility, including permanent ineligibility, are appropriate.

Obviously this could be quite relevant to Iowa (and Iowa State) athletes under investigation for sports wagering.

MORE HERE: https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/28...uidelines-for-sports-wagering-violations.aspx

Now that this is out and that the line crossing was 5/2 and after for the athletes, I would assume we would hear pretty quick what the end result is for all the Iowa and Iowa State athletes??

I see ISU announced today who was going to media day for the team and Dekkers was not one of them.

Now that this is out and that the line crossing was 5/2 and after for the athletes, I would assume we would hear pretty quick what the end result is for all the Iowa and Iowa State athletes??
I don't believe thats what it means. The reported violations were most certainly before May 2 on this year. Supposedly some of the betting was in March madness. I think they're just saying that May 2nd is the date these new rules will be applied from. What happened previous to that date and the resulting penalty is still up in the air at this point

Just look what LSU got away with. Finebaum says now teams should cheat all they can because the NCAA is feckless.

Reactions: dadster
I don't believe thats what it means. The reported violations were most certainly before May 2 on this year. Supposedly some of the betting was in March madness. I think they're just saying that May 2nd is the date these new rules will be applied from. What happened previous to that date and the resulting penalty is still up in the air at this point
It was reported to the University on May 2nd. If I’m the VT player who lost half a season for self reporting, I’m lawyering up.

Iowa said university leadership was notified May 2 of potential criminal conduct related to sports wagering that also suggested possible NCAA violations. Law enforcement last Wednesday provided the university with a list of individuals alleged to have participated in sports wagering.

Clown fans will have their out. 5 or 6 players will be suspended for the game against Iowa and that will be why they lose the game or so they will claim. But just you watch when those players come back...........................well they are gonna beat up on somebody!!!!!!!!

Clown fans will have their out. 5 or 6 players will be suspended for the game against Iowa and that will be why they lose the game or so they will claim. But just you watch when those players come back...........................well they are gonna beat up on somebody!!!!!!!!
they'll be back against Iowa if danny mac were coaching

Reactions: pistachio1999
violations reported on or after May 2

violations reported on or after May 2
I was commenting off what the OP posted which was a statement FROM the NCAA regarding violations on or after May 2nd. The NCAA guidelines are a general statement to ALL NCAA member schools, and have nothing to do with Iowa specifically. These new guidelines took effect May 2nd. Thats what I was saying..

Am I interrupting this correct? If an Iowa athlete bet on the NCAA Women's championship game they lose all eligibility? (Student-athlete who wagers on other sports at their school)

This will be next to impossible to enforce. Don't these athletes have friends or family who can place a bet for them?

It was reported to the University on May 2nd. If I’m the VT player who lost half a season for self reporting, I’m lawyering up.

"Lawyering up" for what? Did the NCAA not enforce the rules that were in place at the time of the self-reporting?

Crappy situation for the VT player who lost half a season for betting on professional sports but his initial suspension was consistent with existing rules at the time and the reduction of his suspension was consistent with the reinstatement guidelines.

Potentially crappy situation for the Iowa Hawkeye baseball players who sat out 18-19 games (more than 10% of the season). If their activity would have generated less punishment than ultimately received, it may have materially impacted the end of their season. Anthony's bat surely would have been welcome and Henderson's ability to come into a game to throw strikes and fool hitters was really missed. Iowa may have been one fresh and solid bullpen arm away from winning the first two Regional games.

Situation sucks but nothing suggests illegality or filing some sort of lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT