ADVERTISEMENT

Need Grill Advice

Big Hawk D-Port

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2004
Some of you guys seem to be pretty active on the grill so I would like some advice.

I bought some replacement parts for my grill, which is a nothing special Char Broil 4 burner. While trying to disassemble it to put some new components in, basically one of the burners (not planning To replace) fell apart due to rust. The transfer tubes and grease pan I was replacing were likewise rusted to hell.

I keep my grill covered from the rain, and when I am ready to cook I scrape off all of the gunk off of the cooking grate, but other than that I don’t want to do a whole lot of maintenance on my grill. Am I doomed to just buy a new one every 2-3 years, or do those fancy Weber’s with stainless steel stay nice forever?

I have a Weber Spirit 310 (mid range Weber). Prob 10 years now. Can’t say I’ve had anything rust out.

I do also typically power wash, clean the tubes at the end of summer.

I haven't owned a gas grill in over 15 years, but yeah.... that was kinda how it went for me as well.

solid gold bro

chrismas-gift-classic-jewrly-gold-silver.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Char Broils have a life expectancy of roughly 3-4 years imho if you leave it outside no matter if you cover them or not. The combination of the heat cycles with humidity rusts them out FAST. The last one I bought, I left outside but covered - at about the end of the second year it was already showing signs of rust cancer with the burners and "flavorizer" panel.

It was effectively toast by the end of the 3rd year.

My Weber Q's are both more than 10 years old, all still have their original parts. Granted, I don't leave them outside, but they both are in a shed - so they are exposed to humidity. One gets a bit of grate rust now and then if I don't use it for awhile (which grill brushes off easily and given their thickness still have a good decade left in them), but the burner assemblies for both are rust free and work perfect.

I fully expect to get at worst another 10 years out of each. I've also never known any Weber gas grill to not last at least a decade. And things like burner assemblies are still plentiful and affordable compared to a new grill.

Since you cover it I’m surprised it only lasted 2-3 years. It sounds like you take better care of it than most people.
I don’t think there’s a gas grill out there worth $1k.

Yes, gas grill. I’d rather not spend a grand but I guess I would.
I’d go with the Weber if it has to be gas. If you’re into smoking at all I’d look into the Rec Teq 590 or 340 with grill grates. I’ve got the 700 and grill with it all the time. The only downside is the 700 takes about 45 minutes to hit 600 degrees.

Some of you guys seem to be pretty active on the grill so I would like some advice.

I bought some replacement parts for my grill, which is a nothing special Char Broil 4 burner. While trying to disassemble it to put some new components in, basically one of the burners (not planning To replace) fell apart due to rust. The transfer tubes and grease pan I was replacing were likewise rusted to hell.

I keep my grill covered from the rain, and when I am ready to cook I scrape off all of the gunk off of the cooking grate, but other than that I don’t want to do a whole lot of maintenance on my grill. Am I doomed to just buy a new one every 2-3 years, or do those fancy Weber’s with stainless steel stay nice forever?
Buy a Weber. Many places will assemble it for you for free. Enjoy!

I have owned a TEC infrared grill for about 16 years. I keep a cover on it, but it is otherwise exposed. It is still in great shape. Just run it on high for about 10 minutes after grilling and it will clean itself.

Reactions: Big Hawk D-Port
I’ve had my Weber Genesis for 7 or 8 years now and no rust or problems. I ended up paying about $350 for it from Overstock as it was on sale and they had a 40% off Memorial Day code at the time that some how some way didn’t exclude Weber grills at the time. Dad and FIL bought one at the same time.

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess my question is do Webers use Stainless Steel and is doesn't corrode where as a Char Broil or some such brand uses iron?

Weber Genesis Ii... you will not be disappointed

Very timely thread. I'm in the market for a new grill as well and am looking pretty hard at the Weber Genesis II. I'd be fine going into the $1K+ range if the damn thing just doesn't rust out and just always works (e.g. I hate that starters ALWAYS go out in the first few months). Have a charcoal smoker for when I want to "keep it real" but need an option for the quick, brainless night over a little fire. Think the Genesis is the way to go?

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess my question is do Webers use Stainless Steel and is doesn't corrode where as a Char Broil or some such brand uses iron?
I can’t speak to the make up of materials, but there’s a reason Weber Grills cost >2x that if Charbroil and it’s not all profit. They are using superior materials. I’m not saying more expensive is better in every situation, but in this instance it is.

Very timely thread. I'm in the market for a new grill as well and am looking pretty hard at the Weber Genesis II. I'd be fine going into the $1K+ range if the damn thing just doesn't rust out and just always works (e.g. I hate that starters ALWAYS go out in the first few months). Have a charcoal smoker for when I want to "keep it real" but need an option for the quick, brainless night over a little fire. Think the Genesis is the way to go?
For $1K you can go a lot of different routes. How big of a grill do you want or need? Weber has three main sizes— Spirit, Genesis, Summit. Summit is probably close to $1K. Or you could go smaller and get Spirit/Genesis AND Traeger for ~$1K.

I should also add that it’s not just the durability difference between a Weber (or other top grill manufacturers— Weber isn’t the only good one) and Charbroil, but performance too. You will get a more even grill surface temp. A burger or steak in the top left will have the same surface temp as bottom right assuming equal distance from heat source (direct vs indirect) more often with Weber than Charbroil.

same.
I think I’m going to pull the trigger if I see a good year end sale.

Blackstones aren’t very expensive at regular price. And the cover that came with mine was high quality. Inexpensive way to open up a whole new set of recipes.

For $1K you can go a lot of different routes. How big of a grill do you want or need? Weber has three main sizes— Spirit, Genesis, Summit. Summit is probably close to $1K. Or you could go smaller and get Spirit/Genesis AND Traeger for ~$1K.

I actually don’t need a big grill...I just want one that’s durable and cooks evenly. Pellet grills don’t typically interest me because I’ve got my charcoal bullet for pretty much anything I think I’d use a Traeger for. I can’t store my gas grill from the elements but do cover it so just want durability...I think that’s why the Genesis has my interest piqued.

When you keep a grill covered during freeze/thaw times, moisture accumulates all over the inside and rusts the shit out of the non-stainless models.

Take your grill cover, cut it apart so that it's more like a 'bra' over just the top. Snap in some grommets and bungee it over the top of the grill so it's more like an umbrella.

Then, moisture can evaporate rather than accumulate in it.

I had an older Charbroil that never rusted bad, but I never put a cover over it.

Also, best tip I can give you is to check NextDoor for people offloading nice grills. I got a Ducane 5-burner + two full propane tanks for just over $100 because someone was moving. Looks almost new. Equivalent Weber runs >$1200. I did need to replace burner covers and the igniter box, but it's otherwise in perfect shape w/o any rust or wear at all. Plus, the grates are the nice thick cast iron that you don't find on a lot of models anymore. Really puts nice sear marks on steaks and burgers. Best $100 I've spent in many many years.

Also, best tip I can give you is to check NextDoor for people offloading nice grills.

Got my Weber Q3200 with the fancy stand in a similar fashion (CL). $75, perfect used shape, plus a full LP tank thrown in.

Last weekend, my buddy visited and used it. He asked me where I got it and how much I paid.

"So...you STOLE it."

Yep.

Given the smoker craze going on right now, great used gas grills are out there to be had very cheap.

When you keep a grill covered during freeze/thaw times, moisture accumulates all over the inside and rusts the shit out of the non-stainless models.

People use grills in winter too so a quality covering is excellent. If it isn’t going to be used in winter store it inside out of the elements.

Take your grill cover, cut it apart so that it's more like a 'bra' over just the top. Snap in some grommets and bungee it over the top of the grill so it's more like an umbrella.

Then, moisture can evaporate rather than accumulate in it.
I live in Georgia, not Iowa, so I don't deal with freezing, but I have often wondered if the humidity is corrosive when there is no air circulation. My new grill cover has some air vents.

I have had a weber genesis for about 15 years. The outer shell looks brand new. I do not keep it covered, but every time I use it I am careful to let it burn on high for 10 minutes and then I scrub off all of the char. I replace the grates and flavorizer bars about once every 5 years, and cleaned the burners for the first time this spring. The burners themselves were in great shape. Incidentally, we also have a green egg. It is about 6 to 7 years old. The wood handle has rotted off and the mesh on the slider vent is destroyed. I have also had to replace the daisy wheel once. I have to say I am little disappointed in the durability of some aspects of the egg. This is along way to say the weber is built incredibly well. If you replace it the one thing I would say is to get something with a sear/infrared station.

I’ve had my Weber Genesis for 7 or 8 years now and no rust or problems. I ended up paying about $350 for it from Overstock as it was on sale and they had a 40% off Memorial Day code at the time that some how some way didn’t exclude Weber grills at the time. Dad and FIL bought one at the same time.
I've had mine for 12 and it's still great.

"So...you STOLE it."

Yep.
That's how I felt; two full propane tanks, a few accessories added in (two grilling baskets for veggies or whatever) would easily run $80-90. So I got a 4 burner grill + side burner for well under $50. I did need $50-60 in new parts for it, but that was no big deal. I came fully assembled and the fixes took less time than assembly would have. Plus, I now have the websites that carry spare parts bookmarked so if I need anything else I can find it in short order.

If you're not in an urgent hurry for a grill (or anything else), you can probably find it on NextDoor within a few weeks for pennies on the dollar. I've dramatically upgraded my woodworking tools in the garage for almost nothing. Drill press, table saw (free), belt sander, circular saw, miter saw, router (needed to re-tap the clamp for that, but it took about 5 minutes). Now I'm just looking for a good benchtop band saw.

You're on the right track. Sounds like a Weber Spirit would be perfect for the OP. With the money saved could also invest in a Weber Original Kettle ($100) and have the option of charcoal grilling and smoking. The Kettle is very versatile.

Reactions: CAhawki
People use grills in winter too so a quality covering is excellent. If it isn’t going to be used in winter store it inside out of the elements.

Yes, but when it sits in the sun with snow accumulating around and under it, the black covers melt the snow and it accumulates inside the grill; it's like a moist little greenhouse you've trapped all the water inside. That will rot out most non-Weber grills that aren't made of stainless. And even stainless can rust out components (like drip pans) that aren't the same metal if they sit in wet environments. All you need is a cover to keep snow off the top of the grill, not over all the sides. That's rust waiting to happen.

One thing also about Weber Q's...they are ridiculously easy to store inside. My Q1000 I set inside a sealed plastic tub - it's gonna last until I die (I'm 58). Its stand, I hang on my shed wall.

Char Broils have a life expectancy of roughly 3-4 years imho if you leave it outside no matter if you cover them or not. The combination of the heat cycles with humidity rusts them out FAST. The last one I bought, I left outside but covered - at about the end of the second year it was already showing signs of rust cancer with the burners and "flavorizer" panel.

It was effectively toast by the end of the 3rd year.

My Weber Q's are both more than 10 years old, all still have their original parts. Granted, I don't leave them outside, but they both are in a shed - so they are exposed to humidity. One gets a bit of grate rust now and then if I don't use it for awhile (which grill brushes off easily and given their thickness still have a good decade left in them), but the burner assemblies for both are rust free and work perfect.

I fully expect to get at worst another 10 years out of each. I've also never known any Weber gas grill to not last at least a decade. And things like burner assemblies are still plentiful and affordable compared to a new grill.

I replaced my 11 year old Weber this summer, mostly because I wanted a slightly larger one. Otherwise I could have had it back to brand new for probably $150 in parts and a Saturday afternoon.

A guy in the neighborhood took my old one because he was getting ready to rebuild the guts of his 20 year old Weber and figured the project would be a little easier on mine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT