ADVERTISEMENT

Nessler / Danielson at Kinnick

Jimmy McGill

HB Legend
Sep 9, 2018
Earth
I see that there is an article on DSM Register, but I don't pay for it. I assume it is about their return to Iowa City.

CSB: Freshman year at U of I. I was officiating football for the intramurals on campus. ABC had a strike going on and they didn't have enough employees to cover games.

They email Director of Intramurals and say "hey, you got some agile folks that know the game to help out?"

I get the email from my boss, and I'm like "he'll yeah".

Iowa -OSU game 1998. We set things up the day before (basically running cables). Game day, I was on field with the camera dude running his cable to each end of the stadium. They paid us $23/hr. CSB

But what I wanted to get to is that before the game we were in the ABC semi with Danielson and Nessler. Couldn't have been two of the nicest people I have ever met. They knew we were going to get our ass kicked but they didn't say that. They made a lot of comments about other football programs around the country that I won't repeat again because they were nice enough to talk to us as equals.

I hope IC gives them both a very welcome return.

This can't be right, I'm pretty sure CBS did Big Ten games for a few more years after 85? Michigan St--Iowa in 85 (The Bootleg! 35-31) was also CBS. I think later in the 85 season the game at Purdue was also CBS.
They did must have been some of our road games. I was surprised to see that too.

I see that there is an article on DSM Register, but I don't pay for it. I assume it is about their return to Iowa City.

CSB: Freshman year at U of I. I was officiating football for the intramurals on campus. ABC had a strike going on and they didn't have enough employees to cover games.

They email Director of Intramurals and say "hey, you got some agile folks that know the game to help out?"

I get the email from my boss, and I'm like "he'll yeah".

Iowa -OSU game 1998. We set things up the day before (basically running cables). Game day, I was on field with the camera dude running his cable to each end of the stadium. They paid us $23/hr. CSB

But what I wanted to get to is that before the game we were in the ABC semi with Danielson and Nessler. Couldn't have been two of the nicest people I have ever met. They knew we were going to get our ass kicked but they didn't say that. They made a lot of comments about other football programs around the country that I won't repeat again because they were nice enough to talk to us as equals.

I hope IC gives them both a very welcome return.

1998 was brutal. Hayden left on a down note.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
This can't be right, I'm pretty sure CBS did Big Ten games for a few more years after 85? Michigan St--Iowa in 85 (The Bootleg! 35-31) was also CBS. I think later in the 85 season the game at Purdue was also CBS.

They did must have been some of our road games. I was surprised to see that too.

That tweet is correct. Last CBS game in Kinnick was 1985. We had road games at OSU and Purdue after that and some road games in the 1986 season. ABC took over in 1987.

Reactions: pjhawk
I loved CBS intros back in the day. This one from the Iowa Michigan State 85 game. Right after we were announced #1.

I stood next to Katzenmoyer in the endzone during pregame. That dude was a fing brick built piece of machinery. Unbelievable.

That was the the first thing I noticed that day was looking at the size of Iowa's players vs. OSU's

Reactions: GOHOX69
Any Hayden was nice enough to come up to me wearing my press pass with a Hawkeye hat on close to the end of the game and said thank you. Thank me? You could tell he was tired. In hindsight he probably was going through chemo.

Yeah, it was brutal. But some crappy Iowa CB took one to the house to put the hawks up 7-0. Pretty sure OSU scored the next 55 points
The temp was also like in the 70's at kick-off but a cold front came through during the game, might have even dropped down into the 40's (?), completely cleared out section J by the 2nd half.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
The temp was also like in the 70's at kick-off but a cold front came through during the game, might have even dropped down into the 40's (?), completely cleared out section J by the 2nd half.

Thank you. I appreciate you bringing back memories. It was getting cold packing up all the gear post game. Also, another memory was ABC having me track down Matt ? Hughes Iowa LB for player of the game. All the parents were down by the sidelines and they could tell I was just trying to do a job and acknowledge their child. They helped out and we got the shot on ABC. Weird times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT