ADVERTISEMENT

Never try to out-Ferentz a Ferentz!! This week's TwT . . .

What frustrates me most is that Kirk thinks it’s the best way to win. It’s not. It’s the road to 7-8 wins every year, perhaps 9 wins being in the West and getting destroyed by the top teams.
To be fair, the last time we won 7 games or less (not counting the 6 wins in the covid year) was 2014. Almost a decade ago.

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you have here, KF isn't dealing with the hand he was dealt, he's the dealer. His team makeup is a reflection of him. They recruit and play the way he wants.

And yes, it's been successful. No, it's not entertaining. And yes, if it resulted in the same record, I'd rather watch them play a bunch of 45-38 games. And no, I wouldn't rather watch them be less successful but score more points.
And THAT is his strength. Kirk knows exactly who he is and has lived with it. He knows how he can win/coach football successfully.

Continuing with Campbell....I think he wants to build a program like KF. Consistently good with some very good years mixed in.

I don't think he'll be able to do that at ISU. Caught lightning in a bottle a couple years ago but I see them being mediocre more years than not...once Heacock retires he's toast.
ISU will be fine in B12, and Campbell may bolt, he is a very good coach.

@torbee I actually enjoyed Bennetti and Huard. Solid team.

Kirk’s greatest ability as a person/coach is that he is absolutely honest in understanding how he/UIowa can win football games with the cards he is dealt. He recruits realistically. He and his staff “develop” and coach-up their talent and they play a style that enables them to win football games. (There are NO “style points” awarded in football.)
Kirk and his staff understand this and ar fine with it. Iowa fans are a lot like Badger basketball fans under Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan...they like the “wins” but they react as though they’d be happier if they would score more points in games, even if it resulted in a loss.
Fans here are obsessed with the “Brian Watch”...and they are just making noise. If Iowa scores 20 points a game and ends up with 8-9 wins, Brian will be back next year. There isn’t an AD in the world who is gonna have a coach fired when they WIN games! Winning is the #1 priority of any football team. And Brian contributes to this by doing it the way his dad wants it done. And wining games but not scoring “25 points” is hardly cause to fire anyone.
There isn’t an AD in the world who is gonna have a coach fired when they WIN games! Winning is the #1 priority of any football team. And Brian contributes to this by doing it the way his dad wants it done. And wining games but not scoring “25 points” is hardly cause to fire anyone.

Nebraska tried this with firing Pelini and it has come ack to bite them.

Reactions: torbee
And sometimes a coach over stays his welcome, while also being guilty of the most egregious case of nepotism college football has ever witnessed. The good captain is burning through the goodwill he has earned over the years, and the Brian factor is tarnishing his legacy. I won’t be upset when he finally hangs it up. Hopefully he doesn’t burn the program to the ground on his way out.
You're talking about the same thing as with coach Haden Fry?

And THAT is his strength. Kirk knows exactly who he is and has lived with it. He knows how he can win/coach football successfully.
Yep, folks might not like it, it might not always be pretty...but he wins.

Last 10 years. 86-41

2022 8-5
2021 10-4
2020 6-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5
2016 8-5
2015 12-2
2014 7-6
2013 8-5

Last edited:
There isn’t an AD in the world who is gonna have a coach fired when they WIN games! Winning is the #1 priority of any football team. And Brian contributes to this by doing it the way his dad wants it done. And wining games but not scoring “25 points” is hardly cause to fire anyone.

It was Frank slouch before Pelosi. Solich was the first coach Nebby fired for going 9-3 in multiple seasons.

Last 10 years. 86-41

2022 8-5
2021 10-4
2020 6-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5
2016 8-5
2015 12-2
2014 7-6
2013 8-5
Only Ohio State and Michigan have won more games in the Big 10 over that same period of time.

People who think Iowa is "mediocre" are wrong.

Iowa is "good" not "great" - which is a bit frustrating. But hardly worth the temper tantrums some of our "fans" throw every single week.

the 1899 Iowa Hawkeyes (first year of football) averaged 24.8 pts a game

do you think these guys could score more than a BF offense today?

1899_football_team_photo.jpg

Last 10 years. 86-41

2022 8-5
2021 10-4
2020 6-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5
2016 8-5
2015 12-2
2014 7-6
2013 8-5
I feel like what Kirk has learned in the second half of his Iowa tenure is how to be more consistent and not have those down season like in '06,'07,'12 and even '14 a little bit.

I mean he guided Iowa to an 8 win season last year despite having imo the worst OL since his first year at Iowa and a terrible QB and bad WR play (even by Iowa standards). I'm hoping for one more special season. If Cade can continue to get healthy and the OL can improve, this could be one.

Another takeaway for me was Jaziun Patterson is really, really good.
I never would have even thought this a couple weeks ago but ... I think Jazz might be better than Kaleb, at least for our style of play. That's not to say Kaleb isn't good because he is and he has a role in this offense. This might be like when we had Canzeri (who I still think was one of the most underrated backs at Iowa), Daniels, and Wadley. Now, we have Jazz, KJ, and LeShon.

I feel like what Kirk has learned in the second half of his Iowa tenure is how to be more consistent and not have those down season like in '06,'07,'12 and even '14 a little bit.

I mean he guided Iowa to an 8 win season last year despite having imo the worst OL since his first year at Iowa and a terrible QB and bad WR play (even by Iowa standards). I'm hoping for one more special season. If Cade can continue to get healthy and the OL can improve, this could be one.
Cade was off a bit but you can see the potential.

My major concern in the passing game is the WR's. Cade's willing to put up some contested balls...with our tight ends that's no problem. They'll battle for it and at the very least keep the defender from getting it.

The WR's still don't do well in that regard. I thought Regaini was interfered with on the int BUT....he has to keep his feet and battle. Could have prevented the int there. Just seems like we get knocked off the ball too easily and don't win those battles....

Reactions: torbee

My major concern in the passing game is the WR's. Cade's willing to put up some contested balls...with our tight ends that's no problem. They'll battle for it and at the very least keep the defender from getting it.

The WR's still don't do well in that regard. I thought Regaini was interfered with on the int BUT....he has to keep his feet and battle. Could have prevented the int there. Just seems like we get knocked off the ball too easily and don't win those battles....
I would agree with all of that. I think the one hope for me is we finally have a WR again that can stretch the field in Seth Anderson. He made a nice TD catch and Week 1 and showed an ability to get open deep against ISU. Cade just missed him. Eventually, they are going to connect on one of those. Anderson reminds me a bit of Tevaun Smith.

After singing KF's praises....

I really hope he breaks out of his shell a bit this weekend. If we get up....no need to go into turtle mode. Not v this opponent.

Keep the pedal pressed and really give Cade and the WR's a chance to get something going. They need it, for confidence and really work out the kinks. Really the last opportunity to do so.

Probably too much to ask :)

Iowa State’s defensive strength is their secondary. That #4 (I think) is really a fine d-back ! He’s AA caliber.

After singing KF's praises....

I really hope he breaks out of his shell a bit this weekend. If we get up....no need to go into turtle mode. Not v this opponent.

Keep the pedal pressed and really give Cade and the WR's a chance to get something going. They need it, for confidence and really work out the kinks. Really the last opportunity to do so.

Probably too much to ask :)
i vigorously disagree on the bolded part :) just gain reps, make small tweaks, clean things up and win by 1-2 scores. we'll need multiple td plays against psu and i'm not sure the playbook has enough of them to unveil willy nilly against wmu.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

Jesus Christ, are you the head homer? The hawks have won by fielding incredible defenses and special teams. If you think the offense and Brian are acceptable, there’s no helping you.

i vigorously disagree on the bolded part :) just gain reps, make small tweaks, clean things up and win by 1-2 scores. we'll need multiple td plays against psu and i'm not sure the playbook has enough of them to unveil willy nilly against wmu.
Remember a few years ago, Iowa won at Happy Valley, 6-4? In the words of Norm Parker, it was a real “slobberknocker”…

Reactions: desihawk
Remember a few years ago, Iowa won at Happy Valley, 6-4? In the words of Norm Parker, it was a real “slobberknocker”…
yeah but franklin's offenses are no joke...he will put points on us particularly without a jewel or campbell in the lb corps or a eppy type explosive guy on the dl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT