ADVERTISEMENT

Never try to out-Ferentz a Ferentz!! This week's TwT . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by
ToryBrecht
Kirk Ferentz
Photo by Dennis Scheidt, HawkeyeReport.com

If imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery, Iowa State Coach Matt Campbell might be Kirk Ferentz’ biggest fan.

Once again, the head Cyclone tried to best the Hawkeyes with their own strategy – a stifling defense, solid special teams and just enough hyper-conservative offense to prevail. For the sixth out of seventh time, his clones once again failed to deliver.

It’s nice that Campbell recognizes that boa constrictor football can still win games in 2023. But if I were an Iowa State fan (shudder), I’d be extremely frustrated that my coach insists on trying to be the pupil that bests the master rather than charting his own course.

Iowa under Ferentz is going to drag you down into the muck of an ugly game and frustrate you. And you aren’t going to win many mud wrestling contests against the undisputed mud-wrestling champion of the world.

Bless Coach Campbell for trying, though.

Almost as interesting as Campbell’s infatuation with the Hawkeye style is the Iowa fan base’s fatigue with the same thing. Much like last week, conversation on social media centered on an offense that came out of the gates strong, then did virtually nothing for two-and-a-half quarters. Offensive Coordinator Brian Ferentz’ offense once again failing to eclipse the magical 25-point mark was once again a central talking point of the muttering masses.

Here is the thing, though; Iowa is built to win games this way. Although commentator Brock Huard annoyed me for much of the broadcast, he was exactly spot on in this assessment he made halfway through the third quarter, when Iowa’s offense looked stuck in the mud:

“You get a couple big explosives early, and then you can take the air out of it late,” he said, as Iowa tried another unsuccessful run up the middle. “Brian Ferentz doesn’t care about 25 points. Protect the football, get the win, move on.”

Fans may not like that, but it’s a winning formula. A graphic flashed during the broadcast drove home that fact even more clearly. When it has an eight point or greater lead – at any point of the game – Iowa has won 97% of the time. That is a truly staggering stat, and one the fans who pine for more aggressive offense late in games need to keep in mind. I try to think of Iowa’s strategy in boxing terms. Get in a few strong, early body blows and get your opponent off balance. Then go into defensive mode with a few counterpunches while keeping the other fighter at bay. You can see that Brian Ferentz dialed up a couple attempted knockout punches in the second half. Unfortunately, they didn’t land for one reason or another (tight ends running into each other, a blown pass interference call on a deep bomb that ended
up in a bogus interception, Cade McNamara being just a touch off on what would have been a 90-yard touchdown pass, etc.)

The glimmers of a functional offense were on display Saturday. The hope is as McNamara gets more reps and his mobility improves as his injury heals, a few of those will land and Iowa fans won’t have to white knuckle their way through every fourth quarter.

Here are a few other random observations from my two watches of this year’s CyHawk game:
  • I mentioned being annoyed at Brock Huard. Specifically, his lamenting why Iowa State “refused” to try to take deep shots. Well, Brock, it’s because they simply didn’t have time. Iowa’s defensive line was credited with only one sack and a couple hurries Saturday, which has some worried they aren’t as dominant as they’ve been in the past. However, I think the reason for that is the opponent knows they have to get the ball out in three seconds or less, forcing them to dink and dunk only. It’s kind of like having a shutdown cornerback – he may not put up gaudy interception or pass break up numbers but he’s still influencing the game because the other team just won’t go there.

• Iowa State’s defense is legitimately good, particularly its secondary. They made it tough for Iowa to run the ball and were able to generate some pressure on McNamara. That said, how refreshing is it to have a quarterback that stands in the pocket and accepts pressure, moves subtly and goes through his progressions, doesn’t panic and gets the ball out? That can only pay dividends down the road.

• Nickname suggestion: Cooper DeJean the Tackling Machine. The dude was everywhere, quickly, on Saturday. Between he and Schulte, you could see several times Iowa State receivers alligator armed catchable balls because they were thinking about the big hit to come. More of this, please.

• Through the first two games of 2022, the Iowa offense mustered 10 points. Through the first two games of 2023 – one of them a P5 road game – the offense has scored 27. That’s not a great number, but it’s nearly three-times better than last year! That, my friends, is progress.
Follow me on Twitter @ToryBrecht and the 12 Saturdays Podcast @12Saturdays.

nice writeup. but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. you write "Iowa under Ferentz is going to drag you down into the muck of an ugly game and frustrate you." not quibbling but there is beauty and nobility also in the manner that ferentz wins. ferentz is like tom cruise in the last samurai -- it is a delight to watch samurai beat modern militaries.

nice writeup. but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. you write "Iowa under Ferentz is going to drag you down into the muck of an ugly game and frustrate you." not quibbling but there is beauty and nobility also in the manner that ferentz wins. ferentz is like tom cruise in the last samurai -- it is a delight to watch samurai beat modern militaries.
That’s one way to describe it. Another would be comparable to hearing fingernails on a chalk board…..

I mentioned being annoyed at Brock Huard. Specifically, his lamenting why Iowa State “refused” to try to take deep shots. Well, Brock, it’s because they simply didn’t have time. Iowa’s defensive line was credited with only one sack and a couple hurries Saturday, which has some worried they aren’t as dominant as they’ve been in the past. However, I think the reason for that is the opponent knows they have to get the ball out in three seconds or less, forcing them to dink and dunk only. It’s kind of like having a shutdown cornerback – he may not put up gaudy interception or pass break up numbers but he’s still influencing the game because the other team just won’t go there.

Totally agree with this....I also think this is why ISU's second to last drive was as slow and deliberate as it was. Campbell and co. knew what they were dealing with. Hurry up and throw deep = trouble. (caveat: could have had the same approach by getting to the line quicker though/ 30 seconds between snaps was absurd)
  • Through the first two games of 2022, the Iowa offense mustered 10 points. Through the first two games of 2023 – one of them a P5 road game – the offense has scored 27. That’s not a great number, but it’s nearly three-times better than last year! That, my friends, is progress.

This...I'll take going from horrific to mediocre at this point in the season.

Another takeaway for me was Jaziun Patterson is really, really good.

Last edited:
Because it's not one of my Twitter handles? 🤷‍♂️

Technically, I probably shouldn't even be posting this content here.

But we appear to be modless, so . . .

You could say, "follow me on Go Iowa Awesome. Search for 'torbee'."

I mentioned being annoyed at Brock Huard. Specifically, his lamenting why Iowa State “refused” to try to take deep shots. Well, Brock, it’s because they simply didn’t have time. Iowa’s defensive line was credited with only one sack and a couple hurries Saturday, which has some worried they aren’t as dominant as they’ve been in the past. However, I think the reason for that is the opponent knows they have to get the ball out in three seconds or less, forcing them to dink and dunk only. It’s kind of like having a shutdown cornerback – he may not put up gaudy interception or pass break up numbers but he’s still influencing the game because the other team just won’t go there.

Totally agree with this....I also think this is why ISU's second to last drive was as slow and deliberate as it was. Campbell and co. knew what they were dealing with. Hurry up and throw deep = trouble. (caveat: could have had the same approach by getting to the line quicker though/ 30 seconds between snaps was absurd)

This...I'll take going from horrific to mediocre at this point in the season.

Another takeaway for me was Jaziun Patterson is really, really good.
I don't think the offense has quite reached mediocre or average yet, but it's in view!

I actually think if it weren't for his damn quad strain, McNamara would be averaging 200-plus yards passing and gaining some yards scrambling. Such an unfortunate thing to finally have a good QB and have him limited due to health.

Kirk’s greatest ability as a person/coach is that he is absolutely honest in understanding how he/UIowa can win football games with the cards he is dealt. He recruits realistically. He and his staff “develop” and coach-up their talent and they play a style that enables them to win football games. (There are NO “style points” awarded in football.)
Kirk and his staff understand this and ar fine with it. Iowa fans are a lot like Badger basketball fans under Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan...they like the “wins” but they react as though they’d be happier if they would score more points in games, even if it resulted in a loss.
Fans here are obsessed with the “Brian Watch”...and they are just making noise. If Iowa scores 20 points a game and ends up with 8-9 wins, Brian will be back next year. There isn’t an AD in the world who is gonna have a coach fired when they WIN games! Winning is the #1 priority of any football team. And Brian contributes to this by doing it the way his dad wants it done. And wining games but not scoring “25 points” is hardly cause to fire anyone.

Game reminded me a lot of the Iowa/Iowa State games in 2013/2014. Both teams were kinda blah. Not sure either team is good

I guarantee that got KF's juices flowing more than any of his runs - even the 59-yard, near touchdown.
Oh without a doubt. We all know Kirk loves a good block, but especially when it comes from the 3rd string RB

Reactions: torbee
Kirk’s greatest ability as a person/coach is that he is absolutely honest in understanding how he/UIowa can win football games with the cards he is dealt. He recruits realistically. He and his staff “develop” and coach-up their talent and they play a style that enables them to win football games. (There are NO “style points” awarded in football.)
Kirk and his staff understand this and ar fine with it. Iowa fans are a lot like Badger basketball fans under Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan...they like the “wins” but they react as though they’d be happier if they would score more points in games, even if it resulted in a loss.
Fans here are obsessed with the “Brian Watch”...and they are just making noise. If Iowa scores 20 points a game and ends up with 8-9 wins, Brian will be back next year. There isn’t an AD in the world who is gonna have a coach fired when they WIN games! Winning is the #1 priority of any football team. And Brian contributes to this by doing it the way his dad wants it done. And wining games but not scoring “25 points” is hardly cause to fire anyone.
And sometimes a coach over stays his welcome, while also being guilty of the most egregious case of nepotism college football has ever witnessed. The good captain is burning through the goodwill he has earned over the years, and the Brian factor is tarnishing his legacy. I won’t be upset when he finally hangs it up. Hopefully he doesn’t burn the program to the ground on his way out.

• Haha
Reactions: sdhawkeye
Game reminded me a lot of the Iowa/Iowa State games in 2013/2014. Both teams were kinda blah. Not sure either team is good
I think the Hawks are definitely "good". The D is definitely very good IMO. As always the question mark is the offense, cautiously optimistic we can field an average offense when all is said and done this year.

That'd be enough to win the West.

Good is a relative term imo. Is Iowa good enough to win the west? Probably. Good enough to not get embarrassed in the B1G championship game again? Probably not.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
If Iowa can upgrade its offense to average/serviceable --- Iowa will be a good/great team.

It has a Top 5 national defense and among the best special teams across the board in the country. If the offense can just consistently move the ball and continue to give Iowa double-digit leads, they can beat just about anyone.

Hell, I am STILL staggered by the stat they showed Saturday: in its last 65 games when it has had an 8 point or greater lead at ANY POINT OF THE GAME (including early 1st quarter) Iowa is 63-2. That is almost unbelievable and really explains why Iowa is just not ever, ever, ever going to get more aggressive on offense.

When it's 13-3 with 10 minutes left in the second quarter, the Ferentzes are already in shut-it-down and move on to the next game mode!

And sometimes a coach over stays his welcome, while also being guilty of the most egregious case of nepotism college football has ever witnessed. The good captain is burning through the goodwill he has earned over the years, and the Brian factor is tarnishing his legacy. I won’t be upset when he finally hangs it up. Hopefully he doesn’t burn the program to the ground on his way out.
giphy.gif

If Iowa can upgrade its offense to average/serviceable --- Iowa will be a good/great team.

It has a Top 5 national defense and among the best special teams across the board in the country. If the offense can just consistently move the ball and continue to give Iowa double-digit leads, they can beat just about anyone.

Hell, I am STILL staggered by the stat they showed Saturday: in its last 65 games when it has had an 8 point or greater lead at ANY POINT OF THE GAME (including early 1st quarter) Iowa is 63-2. That is almost unbelievable and really explains why Iowa is just not ever, ever, ever going to get more aggressive on offense.

When it's 13-3 with 10 minutes left in the second quarter, the Ferentzes are already in shut-it-down and move on to the next game mode!
Eh, jury is still out on the D imo. They’re definitely good, but top 5? Let’s see how they do against Penn state first.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by
ToryBrecht
Kirk Ferentz
Photo by Dennis Scheidt, HawkeyeReport.com

If imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery, Iowa State Coach Matt Campbell might be Kirk Ferentz’ biggest fan.

Once again, the head Cyclone tried to best the Hawkeyes with their own strategy – a stifling defense, solid special teams and just enough hyper-conservative offense to prevail. For the sixth out of seventh time, his clones once again failed to deliver.

It’s nice that Campbell recognizes that boa constrictor football can still win games in 2023. But if I were an Iowa State fan (shudder), I’d be extremely frustrated that my coach insists on trying to be the pupil that bests the master rather than charting his own course.

Iowa under Ferentz is going to drag you down into the muck of an ugly game and frustrate you. And you aren’t going to win many mud wrestling contests against the undisputed mud-wrestling champion of the world.

Bless Coach Campbell for trying, though.

Almost as interesting as Campbell’s infatuation with the Hawkeye style is the Iowa fan base’s fatigue with the same thing. Much like last week, conversation on social media centered on an offense that came out of the gates strong, then did virtually nothing for two-and-a-half quarters. Offensive Coordinator Brian Ferentz’ offense once again failing to eclipse the magical 25-point mark was once again a central talking point of the muttering masses.

Here is the thing, though; Iowa is built to win games this way. Although commentator Brock Huard annoyed me for much of the broadcast, he was exactly spot on in this assessment he made halfway through the third quarter, when Iowa’s offense looked stuck in the mud:

“You get a couple big explosives early, and then you can take the air out of it late,” he said, as Iowa tried another unsuccessful run up the middle. “Brian Ferentz doesn’t care about 25 points. Protect the football, get the win, move on.”

Fans may not like that, but it’s a winning formula. A graphic flashed during the broadcast drove home that fact even more clearly. When it has an eight point or greater lead – at any point of the game – Iowa has won 97% of the time. That is a truly staggering stat, and one the fans who pine for more aggressive offense late in games need to keep in mind. I try to think of Iowa’s strategy in boxing terms. Get in a few strong, early body blows and get your opponent off balance. Then go into defensive mode with a few counterpunches while keeping the other fighter at bay. You can see that Brian Ferentz dialed up a couple attempted knockout punches in the second half. Unfortunately, they didn’t land for one reason or another (tight ends running into each other, a blown pass interference call on a deep bomb that ended
up in a bogus interception, Cade McNamara being just a touch off on what would have been a 90-yard touchdown pass, etc.)

The glimmers of a functional offense were on display Saturday. The hope is as McNamara gets more reps and his mobility improves as his injury heals, a few of those will land and Iowa fans won’t have to white knuckle their way through every fourth quarter.

Here are a few other random observations from my two watches of this year’s CyHawk game:
  • I mentioned being annoyed at Brock Huard. Specifically, his lamenting why Iowa State “refused” to try to take deep shots. Well, Brock, it’s because they simply didn’t have time. Iowa’s defensive line was credited with only one sack and a couple hurries Saturday, which has some worried they aren’t as dominant as they’ve been in the past. However, I think the reason for that is the opponent knows they have to get the ball out in three seconds or less, forcing them to dink and dunk only. It’s kind of like having a shutdown cornerback – he may not put up gaudy interception or pass break up numbers but he’s still influencing the game because the other team just won’t go there.

• Iowa State’s defense is legitimately good, particularly its secondary. They made it tough for Iowa to run the ball and were able to generate some pressure on McNamara. That said, how refreshing is it to have a quarterback that stands in the pocket and accepts pressure, moves subtly and goes through his progressions, doesn’t panic and gets the ball out? That can only pay dividends down the road.

• Nickname suggestion: Cooper DeJean the Tackling Machine. The dude was everywhere, quickly, on Saturday. Between he and Schulte, you could see several times Iowa State receivers alligator armed catchable balls because they were thinking about the big hit to come. More of this, please.

Follow me on Twitter @ToryBrecht and the 12 Saturdays Podcast @12Saturdays.
Good stuff, Tory.

While I don't disagree with a lot of what you have here, KF isn't dealing with the hand he was dealt, he's the dealer. His team makeup is a reflection of him. They recruit and play the way he wants.

And yes, it's been successful. No, it's not entertaining. And yes, if it resulted in the same record, I'd rather watch them play a bunch of 45-38 games. And no, I wouldn't rather watch them be less successful but score more points.

This was a really good one. It is really amazing to me how much Campbell seems to be trying to be exactly like Kirk. I was disappointed he finally hired a ST Coordinator and seems to have competent special teams for the first time in his time in Ames.

This was a really good one. It is really amazing to me how much Campbell seems to be trying to be exactly like Kirk. I was disappointed he finally hired a ST Coordinator and seems to have competent special teams for the first time in his time in Ames.
It kind of borders on the creepy and I'd be pissed as hell as an ISU fan.

Did you see his post-game quote about him thinking this was the "best" Iowa State has played in this game since he got there?

Woof!

Reactions: EasyHawk
It kind of borders on the creepy and I'd be pissed as hell as an ISU fan.

Did you see his post-game quote about him thinking this was the "best" Iowa State has played in this game since he got there?

Woof!
Yes, that was shocking. I see now he is saying the Ohio QB is the toughest QB they will have faced this season.

I swear he has changed his voice too. It didn't used to be as deep as it is now. He 's an odd duck.

Yes, that was shocking. I see now he is saying the Ohio QB is the toughest QB they will have faced this season.

I swear he has changed his voice too. It didn't used to be as deep as it is now. He 's an odd duck.
Campbell really missed his window of opportunity if he wanted to upgrade programs. He was on every ones short list a couple years ago....

Campbell really missed his window of opportunity if he wanted to upgrade programs. He was on every ones short list a couple years ago....
Yup, completely agree with this. He missed his chance, 2-3 years ago. Honestly, I think he's peaked at ISU. They will never be an annual Big 12 powerhouse.....ever. He should have left when he was on top of the world (still losing to Iowa, but on "top of the world" for ISU standards).

Continuing with Campbell....I think he wants to build a program like KF. Consistently good with some very good years mixed in.

I don't think he'll be able to do that at ISU. Caught lightning in a bottle a couple years ago but I see them being mediocre more years than not...once Heacock retires he's toast.

Reactions: McLovin32
While I don't disagree with a lot of what you have here, KF isn't dealing with the hand he was dealt, he's the dealer. His team makeup is a reflection of him. They recruit and play the way he wants.

And yes, it's been successful. No, it's not entertaining. And yes, if it resulted in the same record, I'd rather watch them play a bunch of 45-38 games. And no, I wouldn't rather watch them be less successful but score more points.
When watching these last few years, I find myself being bored to death watching Iowa’s offense. It reminds me of watching Iowa BB during the Lickliter years. What frustrates me most is that Kirk thinks it’s the best way to win. It’s not. It’s the road to 7-8 wins every year, perhaps 9 wins being in the West and getting destroyed by the top teams.

I constantly am wonder what if Iowa had a good offense. I think Iowa would regularly be a top ten team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT