ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit - Super 32 Champ Bretli Reyna

Some nice upside here. Knows how to win tight matches and is in a weight range where the hawks don't have great future depth.

I’m not an expert, but gotta believe this is one of the better late recruiting season pickups for TnT. Isnt he a 2020 guy?

Reactions: armbartilt
Watched his match with Zargo...some notes:

Nice slide-by
Very stingy...Zargo had him hopping on one leg 4 or 5 different times, only converted once.
Rode the shit out of Zargo. Very comfortable with a leg in. The the only thing I don't like is that he gets put down on his hip allowing the guy to create some space. This cost him two.
Body type...looks to be a 49 or 57 easy. Zargo had trouble with his length and flexibility.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6520805-2019-super-32/videos?playing=6576495&limit=60

Vs Ed Scott, PA State Champ

Scott has a real nice fireman's but Reyna is a dude who likes to roll around...gets out of some tough positions. Scott had what looks like a sure tilt for points and Reyna ends up in a Peterson finish for 5. Seems real comfortable scrambling which we haven't had for the most part. Towards the end, was stalling his butt off and ended up in OT so he must have picked up another stalling call because the score was 7-6 Reyna. Scores off Scott's shot to win it. Scott is one of Jody's guys and a good wrestler but Reyna would be a frustrating guy to wrestle...gumby asf. A solid counter wrestler, very tough defensively, good in uncomfortable positions. Needs to pick up the offense, not comfortable with typical handfighting...backs up some. Adapted to Scott's firemans...went RBY for a bit holding the arm back and then went underhook a defense. Definitely not your typical "Iowa" guy but should be a fun watching him.develop.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6520805-2019-super-32/videos?playing=6577182&limit=60

Here is his final's match with Saunders:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6578252-145-final-bretli-reyna-fl-vs-joshua-saunders-mo

Last edited:
Great news. This kid is like a brother to Lugo who gets the assist for his commitment to the hawks. He is from the same program with same Iowa style toughness. His dad- Duck ( for his voice) is a famous coach in S Fla and Bretli has a great upside potential. Really good get for the hawks.

What a great get at a much needed weight class for us down the road. I think he has yet to reach his potential and he will be a guy who i feel benefits from mat time with Mark Perry ...that tall funky style is not the typical Hawkeye style but it can be built upon and maybe the basis for a couple High finishes at the Podium. Welcome aboard young man and stop and get yourself some nice WARM Hawkeye Wrestling attire as it is a wee bit COLDER.. in Iowa City than Florida....... Thanks 23 for the catch...i was in a hurry..my bad

Last edited:
Two thoughts.
Shades of Rico Chiapparelli
Should we start a “fund me” for winter clothing?

I know you're joking, but I wonder what the NCAA rules are for the GoFundMe stuff. Its apparently OK when it comes to international wrestling travel, but it seems like a gray area.

Reactions: Inthecircle
What a great get at a much needed weight class for us down the road. I think he has yet to reach his potential and he will be a guy who i feel benefits from mat time with Mark Perry ...that tall funky style is not the typical Hawkeye style but it can be built upon and maybe the basis for a couple High finishes at the Podium. Welcome aboard young man and stop and get yourself some nice WARM Hawkeye Wrestling attire as it is a wee bit warmer in Iowa City than Florida.
I think you might want to edit that last sentence Sir.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Florida is becoming a hotbed. I said it before, but my buddy is a high school coach in St. Augustine and said his room went from six to packed. He just grabbed every kid in the school. They love it and he says they just work all year nonstop because he told them that’s Iowa wrestling and they want more. They don’t know any better about time off. He brings them up to Iowa and Minnesota for camps all summer on his own dime. They bought in and now he’s making hammers with dreams of MMA.

Watched his match with Zargo...some notes:

Nice slide-by
Very stingy...Zargo had him hopping on one leg 4 or 5 different times, only converted once.
Rode the shit out of Zargo. Very comfortable with a leg in. The the only thing I don't like is that he gets put down on his hip allowing the guy to create some space. This cost him two.
Body type...looks to be a 49 or 57 easy. Zargo had trouble with his length and flexibility.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6520805-2019-super-32/videos?playing=6576495&limit=60

Vs Ed Scott, PA State Champ

Scott has a real nice fireman's but Reyna is a dude who likes to roll around...gets out of some tough positions. Scott had what looks like a sure tilt for points and Reyna ends up in a Peterson finish for 5. Seems real comfortable scrambling which we haven't had for the most part. Towards the end, was stalling his butt off and ended up in OT so he must have picked up another stalling call because the score was 7-6 Reyna. Scores off Scott's shot to win it. Scott is one of Jody's guys and a good wrestler but Reyna would be a frustrating guy to wrestle...gumby asf. A solid counter wrestler, very tough defensively, good in uncomfortable positions. Needs to pick up the offense, not comfortable with typical handfighting...backs up some. Adapted to Scott's firemans...went RBY for a bit holding the arm back and then went underhook a defense. Definitely not your typical "Iowa" guy but should be a fun watching him.develop.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6520805-2019-super-32/videos?playing=6577182&limit=60

Here is his final's match with Saunders:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6578252-145-final-bretli-reyna-fl-vs-joshua-saunders-mo

Funny how the Stritmatter trained Scott looks to have much more “Iowa style” than Reyna. Reyna looks to have great D and a lot of funk. Kids a winner

Reactions: IAChief32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT