ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

In other recruiting news, MS State got a
commitment from another 2023 Top 100 Guard today. Not sure it’ll impact Brown’s calculus tho since she’s only the 7th player on the roster for ‘23-‘24.

For those who listened to her podcast appearance, was anyone else surprised to hear her say she’d love to learn from CC? I assumed CC would be a deterrent to her tbh as someone she wouldn’t wanna compete with for minutes…but she spoke of it as a great opportunity.

#86 in the country by ESPN.

Good analysis as usual. I was very pleasantly surprised by how quick & coordinated Heiden is for her height, not to mention her willingness to put it on the floor. Looks like a different starting point than our most recent great posts. ( Granted, I could put together 30 seconds of highlights that would probably get people excited about me as a D1 recruit )

May have just been poor defense on the part of a single player, but the girl who was guarding her went pretty hard for the pumpfake on the perimeter - I'm telling myself its because the scouting report said to respect her jumpshot.

I found myself hoping Heiden could reclassify to ;23 :) . Hell, I think she could actually be a difference maker for the Hawks this year, as she fills one of the few gaps on the team.

At any rate, this looks to be they type of recruiting get to be excited about.
You are correct. Caveats abound on highlight clips. But I'm watching thinking can she join the team this year? Her ability to move at a legitimate 6-4 with the athleticism to block shots, holy moly it's exactly what Iowa needs. They haven't had that under Bluder. Gustafson and Czinano have been generational type talents on offense. Best way to get better on defense is to bring in players who have a higher baseline when playing defense.

So we have Heiden and Levin committed for 2024. How many more and what positions are we Looking at to fill? I know some of it depends on what Brown decides to do and would Love to have her but not a must get as 2025 guards are Interesting possibilities.

So we have Heiden and Levin committed for 2024. How many more and what positions are we Looking at to fill? I know some of it depends on what Brown decides to do and would Love to have her but not a must get as 2025 guards are Interesting possibilities.
Seems like they are still interested in getting a guard for the 2024 class. Taylor Stremlow, Sinai Douglas, Aaliyah Guyton, Jordyn Poole and Chloe Spreen are all available.

In other recruiting news, MS State got a
commitment from another 2023 Top 100 Guard today. Not sure it’ll impact Brown’s calculus tho since she’s only the 7th player on the roster for ‘23-‘24.

For those who listened to her podcast appearance, was anyone else surprised to hear her say she’d love to learn from CC? I assumed CC would be a deterrent to her tbh as someone she wouldn’t wanna compete with for minutes…but she spoke of it as a great opportunity.
A couple thoughts:

1) I think Caitlin has morphed from "great player" to "superstar". You might worry about a great player taking playing time from you, but you might also be willing to play fewer minutes for a year if it means you get to play with a superstar.

2) Elite athletes have extreme confidence in their ability. Whether correct or not, she might think she is good enough to force her way onto the floor alongside Clark, even though Iowa will have a decent amount of veteran experience at the 2 and 3.

Reactions: shikreto
I am sure Clark was a top 50 as a sophomore, now with Heiden. Anyone else under Bluder. Logic maybe

A couple thoughts:

1) I think Caitlin has morphed from "great player" to "superstar". You might worry about a great player taking playing time from you, but you might also be willing to play fewer minutes for a year if it means you get to play with a superstar.

2) Elite athletes have extreme confidence in their ability. Whether correct or not, she might think she is good enough to force her way onto the floor alongside Clark, even though Iowa will have a decent amount of veteran experience at the 2 and 3.
doesn’t anyone redshirt anymore? A year to get acclimated to college classes….. get stronger….. learn the system….. then she could learn from Caitlin and be ready to roll when it’s her time ?

Sad to say it but women’s basketball doesn’t have the lure of leaving early for big paydays some men’s sports do

doesn’t anyone redshirt anymore? A year to get acclimated to college classes….. get stronger….. learn the system….. then she could learn from Caitlin and be ready to roll when it’s her time ?

Sad to say it but women’s basketball doesn’t have the lure of leaving early for big paydays some men’s sports do
Regular redshirts (excluding medical redshirts for injuries) are rare at Iowa. I think there are a few reasons for that:

1) A number of injuries always seem to happen. As an example, a redshirt for AJ Ediger or Sydney Affolter might've made sense last year. Neither was part of the regular rotation when everyone was healthy. But in the middle of the Big Ten season, we had a ton of injuries. Affolter and Ediger were forced to play in a few of those games because we didn't have anyone else.

2) In some cases, it's not clear a player that might redshirt will ever be a starter. I fear Ediger is an example of this. Unless she's improved significantly in the off-season she's at least 4th at the 5 position on this year's depth chart behind Czinano, O'Grady, and Goodman. She's likely 3rd at best at the 4 position behind Warnock and Stuelke. Most of those players have the same or more eligibility than Ediger does. It might not make sense for the coaches to commit to a 5th year of a scholarship for a player who might never be a significant part of the rotation.

3) I think the transfer portal complicates things even further. Most players want to play. Like it or not, if they aren't part of the rotation at a school fairly quickly, many will look to transfer. If you think a player might break into your rotation in year 4 or 5, you still have to worry that a redshirt might make them leave. Or that they might leave after year 2 or 3.

Regular redshirts (excluding medical redshirts for injuries) are rare at Iowa. I think there are a few reasons for that:

1) A number of injuries always seem to happen. As an example, a redshirt for AJ Ediger or Sydney Affolter might've made sense last year. Neither was part of the regular rotation when everyone was healthy. But in the middle of the Big Ten season, we had a ton of injuries. Affolter and Ediger were forced to play in a few of those games because we didn't have anyone else.

2) In some cases, it's not clear a player that might redshirt will ever be a starter. I fear Ediger is an example of this. Unless she's improved significantly in the off-season she's at least 4th at the 5 position on this year's depth chart behind Czinano, O'Grady, and Goodman. She's likely 3rd at best at the 4 position behind Warnock and Stuelke. Most of those players have the same or more eligibility than Ediger does. It might not make sense for the coaches to commit to a 5th year of a scholarship for a player who might never be a significant part of the rotation.

3) I think the transfer portal complicates things even further. Most players want to play. Like it or not, if they aren't part of the rotation at a school fairly quickly, many will look to transfer. If you think a player might break into your rotation in year 4 or 5, you still have to worry that a redshirt might make them leave. Or that they might leave after year 2 or 3.
Makes sense….thanks for your response….. collegiate sports are evolving constantly for sure

I am sure Clark was a top 50 as a sophomore, now with Heiden. Anyone else under Bluder. Logic maybe
If we’re able to land Jasmine Brown (still NOT holding my breath…) that would mean Bluder landed a Top 50 HoopGurlz recruit in 5 consecutive classes (the others being Clark in ‘20, Edigar in ‘21, Stuelke in ‘22, Heiden in ‘24).

Even without Brown… not too shabby at all….
Logic was #10 I believe. Not sure anyone else the last 10 yrs would make the cut. Printt/Disterhoff may have slid in around 50, I can’t recall.

Bjorn and Lewis are going to be tough lands imo. They will have some really big offers by the end of their recruitment.
Hey Kyle:

There was article posted on the front page that provided details for WBB recruiting for the next several years. I can't find it. Is that posted somewhere else or could you direct me to it?

Thank you!!

Hey Kyle:

There was article posted on the front page that provided details for WBB recruiting for the next several years. I can't find it. Is that posted somewhere else or could you direct me to it?

Thank you!!

Have been hoping for Ava's commit! Hopefully it will help with filling more recruiting needs. For 2024, I'm sure Coach B is looking for at least one more recruit; hopefully a great wing/4 . I love Allie Ziebel or Amiah Hargrove as that player. Amiah more as a 4, but when I watch her tape I see a lot of Maya Moore. Now, because Ava Jones will not be playing: If I were Bluder, I'd be going hard at Cassandre Prosper in the 2023 class, 6'2" W/F out of Canada; I don't think she's committed yet.

Creighton is looking like a team on the rise. As odd as it might seem for them to be in an east coast conference, it is still a pretty weak division and gives them an opportunity to achieve. Downside for Iowa? More recruiting competition in a sparsely populated region. Upside? Bringing greater legitimacy to Midwest hoops, and hopefully expanding the recruiting radius, as well as national media coverage.

Reactions: shikreto
I’m excited about her too

But we’re sitting pretty good at the post from what I can tell the next couple years…. not that I know anything about bball…..I wrestled ….. I barely know the difference between a post and a wing 😎
A wing is someone who can play both the 2 and 3, sometimes the 4 inevitably. Feuerbach and Affolter are our best examples of wings, I think.

The post is a part of the court (aka the paint) that is an essential part of the 5/Center position. The 4 and 5 play in the post a lot. People sometimes use the word post interchangeably with the word Center, which is the position Czinano and Goodman are the best examples of.

Last edited:
Reactions: natchrlman
Jasmine Brown posted on Instagram an official visit post for Pittsburgh.

She plans to take official visits to two of Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State and Mississippi State.

I’m growing less confident about Maddy…. who’s this 7 grade pg from Minnesota?? Chloe Johnson she looks pretty tall for a girl that young standing between Jensen and Bluder….. ( tall for a PG)

I’m growing less confident about Maddy…. who’s this 7 grade pg from Minnesota?? Chloe Johnson she looks pretty tall for a girl that young standing between Jensen and Bluder….. ( tall for a PG)
Maddyn has known Bluder since she was very young and Chad, well we know what he did at Iowa. It’s going to take a lot for her to go somewhere else imo. Certainly too early to assume she goes elsewhere.

Jasmine Brown took an official visit to Mississippi State. Down to Iowa, Illinois and Michigan State for the final official visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT