ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

I've responded to a few of Coach J's posts in this regard, asking for specifics. Not getting, or expecting an answer, of course. But what leads you to guess it's about those two?
Can coaches even mention recruits by name or provide specifics?

I've responded to a few of Coach J's posts in this regard, asking for specifics. Not getting, or expecting an answer, of course. But what leads you to guess it's about those two?
They both visited for the Iowa State game this year. Bjorn is going to be a very highly sought after player and already is. Don’t know as much on Miles, but she attended the Elite Camp during the summer and was offered.

They both visited for the Iowa State game this year. Bjorn is going to be a very highly sought after player and already is. Don’t know as much on Miles, but she attended the Elite Camp during the summer and was offered.

Thanks Kyle!

Reactions: Bishop1971
@KyleHuesmann For my own curiosity: have you heard anything about NIL collectives getting involved in WBB recruiting yet? I know it's having a huge impact on football recruiting now. I'm sure it's starting to impact men's basketball too.

I'm just wondering if the big programs like UConn and South Carolina are getting involved with NIL or if a WBB fan with deep pockets could swoop in and buy a super team.

@KyleHuesmann For my own curiosity: have you heard anything about NIL collectives getting involved in WBB recruiting yet? I know it's having a huge impact on football recruiting now. I'm sure it's starting to impact men's basketball too.

I'm just wondering if the big programs like UConn and South Carolina are getting involved with NIL or if a WBB fan with deep pockets could swoop in and buy a super team.
This isn’t quite the same but SC is paying their WBB players $25k / yr.

Not in a way that would be similar to football or MBB. I think Iowa WBB is involved with the Swarm collective. Not sure on other schools.

Last edited:
If I misunderstand/misspoke, happy to stand corrected, but this seemed...similar at least.
I believe the reason the previous poster said not true, is because it is not South Carolina that is paying them, it is through the NIL. Your last post made it sound like it was the school that was paying them. :)

I know last spring iowa men were at 10 grand each which put is around 12th ? In the big. I think the women were around 8 maybe? Still low but the swarm has recently been getting more donors. Of course Caitlin is doing some personal stuff so she is making some money hopefully. I know this team gets crowds and is exciting. I hope we get an elite 8 with this great group. Caitlin is really trying to get Martin back for another year.

My point was supposed to be i donate to the swarm and not the university. Screw Barta. I appreciate my time in college but i want our football and basketball teams to be closer to other schools. We shouldn't be in the bottom of the big for nil with this basketball team. Go ladies!!!.

I know last spring iowa men were at 10 grand each which put is around 12th ? In the big. I think the women were around 8 maybe? Still low but the swarm has recently been getting more donors. Of course Caitlin is doing some personal stuff so she is making some money hopefully. I know this team gets crowds and is exciting. I hope we get an elite 8 with this great group. Caitlin is really trying to get Martin back for another year.
My understanding is Caitlyn has deals with Nike…. Hy Vee and Topps trading cards…… wouldn’t be surprised if she’s making as much or more than she would in the WNBA

My understanding is Caitlyn has deals with Nike…. Hy Vee and Topps trading cards…… wouldn’t be surprised if she’s making as much or more than she would in the WNBA
Yeah, my understanding is she is doing very well. I wish she could get some great players to come to Iowa city. The big is good though. Best conference in the country imo.

For context, the maximum WNBA salary is $228,094.00. Rookies make a fraction of that. That doesn't include what she might make playing professionally abroad, though.

Clark can certainly keep her brand deals if she starts playing professionally. That said, I think it's possible she is more marketable at Iowa than she would be as a pro. As a recent example, I'm sure Luka Garza was more marketable as a star at Iowa than he is now as a fringe NBA player.

Intial thought: Those of you that have followed this thread know that I've watched her play a few times and have been watching her for a while. I think this is a pretty good addition and now you have Callie Levin and Stremlow in the same class.

Intial thought: Those of you that have followed this thread know that I've watched her play a few times and have been watching her for a while. I think this is a pretty good addition and now you have Callie Levin and Stremlow in the same class.
Aren't Levin and Stremlow the same position?

Reactions: shikreto
I wonder if Iowa is targeting Wisconsin more now that Lindsey Whalen is cleaning up recruiting in the Twin Cities area. If Iowa gets Teegan Malegni from McFarland as well as Stremlow, they will have the top two juniors in the Madison area. Wisconsin has had three head coaches in the last ten years, and they just keep getting worse. It is all about volleyball there.

I wonder if Iowa is targeting Wisconsin more now that Lindsey Whalen is cleaning up recruiting in the Twin Cities area. If Iowa gets Teegan Malegni from McFarland as well as Stremlow, they will have the top two juniors in the Madison area. Wisconsin has had three head coaches in the last ten years, and they just keep getting worse. It is all about volleyball there.
I don't think Whalen has had much if any impact on Iowa's recruiting. Since the 2017-2018 season, we've had 3 Minnesota players (Monika Czinano, Lauren Jensen, and Chase Coley) and 3 Wisconsin players (McKenna Warnock, Megan Gustafson, and Carly Mohns) on roster. We recruit from both states, but wouldn't necessarily expect to land a recruit from either in a given class.

Plus Whalen's results thus far have been much closer to Wisconsin than Iowa. Yes she landed a good class this year, but it's also her 5th year as coach and this was her first big recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT