ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Sahara Williams was named a McDonald’s All American today. Still disappointed the Hawks could not secure her commitment. But Iowa not alone. 8 McDonald’s AA’s from Big Ten states, and only 1 signed with the Big Ten (Maryland). Still surprised that the uptick in the Big Ten has not led to more top 25 high school players signing with Big Ten schools.

Also, Iowa State had a signee named McDonald’s AA today: Addyson Brown from Kansas.
Although USC isn't officially in the Big Ten yet, they will be for the majority of Juju Watkins' career. So I'd say you can count her for the Big Ten as well. Same for Amanda Muse heading to UCLA.

Reactions: AMAYS
Although USC isn't officially in the Big Ten yet, they will be for the majority of Juju Watkins' career. So I'd say you can count her for the Big Ten as well. Same for Amanda Muse heading to UCLA.
The conference race is already crazy this year. Can you imagine what it'd be like if we added UCLA to the mix? The Big Ten could easily become the best conference for WBB in the country if these teams can maintain their level.

Reactions: undersized_post
The Big Ten could easily become the best conference for WBB in the country if these teams can maintain their level.
The Big Ten will have to up its recruiting game for that to happen. A couple of test cases will be Liv McGill from Minnesota and Britt Prince from Nebraska. Along with Olivia Olson from Minnesota who committed to Michigan, they are top 20 class of 2024 recruits. If all 3 would commit to Big Ten schools, that would be quite a haul.

The conference race is already crazy this year. Can you imagine what it'd be like if we added UCLA to the mix? The Big Ten could easily become the best conference for WBB in the country if these teams can maintain their level.
I say Stanford, Oregon, UNC, Notre Dame will all join the Big Ten sooner or later. Washington and Cal will be in too, and they were both in the Final Four in the 2010s. By that time the remaining major conferences will all have been consolidated so they will all be tough.

Last edited:
I say Stanford, Oregon, UNC, Notre Dame will all join the Big Ten sooner or later. Washington and Cal will be in too, and they were both in the Final Four in the 2010s. By that time the remaining major conferences will all have been consolidated so they will all be tough.
Not sure how long it will take, but I do think the power 5 will eventually become the power 2 with the Big Ten and SEC absorbing teams from the other power conferences.

There are grumblings among fans to get rid of their coach. That will certainly help. With the success that Illinois is having, more fans will become impatient.

I'm sure the comment was made in jest. However, I'm not a huge fan of NIL. That being said, NIL is good for Iowa Women's basketball even if it might hurt MBB or Football until someone steps in and puts some real guidelines in place.

I would think Maddyn would fare much better at Iowa NIL wise because of Chad's connection to Iowa Football. The draw on the family name will appeal to local businesses, particularly in The Corridor area. And if those businesses could manage to set up some father-daughter endorsements, she has a great shot of breaking 7 figures.

I could see a company like Scheels, for instance, forking over big bucks for a Greenway family commercial.
I’m not a genius NIL. All I know is if ever there were a more perfect fit for the Iowa Hawkeyes, it’s Madden! I’m not going to mention the word Caitlyn, but the similarities are obvious. She not only scores, delivers assists, rebounds (don’t know yet) but above all, she controls the Tempo of games. Tempo is what wins College BBall games, mens or womens.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Nebraska’s current trajectory may or may not impact Britt Prince’s eventual destination?
In general her recruitment is tough to read because she's visited everywhere. Also she had a scandal of sorts in the fall, so no idea how that impacted teams (link below).

My off the cuff thought is this year hurts their chances. After last year, Nebraska looked like a team on the rise. It's easier to stay home if you play for a team on the rise that might compete at the top of women's basketball with you on the team (see Caitlin Clark).

With the scandal (to the extent it is one) that could shift things back to Nebraska, though. Teams further away from the top might be more willing to take on a player some might view as an issue.

FWIW I think the chances she ends up at Iowa are extremely low.

https://www.theixsports.com/feature...ce-and-the-dangers-of-our-american-landscape/

Yikes! Wow, thanks for the info. I don’t think Bluder will wanna touch that tbh.
Honestly without more the situation sounded like a teenager saying something dumb in the moment in ignorance of the broader historical ramifications. I'm not sure it reflects too much on her character, and I would say the steps she took afterward were good ones.

That said, I'm not Jewish, so my opinion isn't all that relevant. And the coaches recruiting her probably know more than we do about whether there are other character issues.

On HawkTalk with Bluder tonight she said Jan was in Arizona today. Bluder said they are about done with 24 but have 1 scholarship left but focusing on 25/26. Also mentioned they are expanding their recruiting west and she (Lisa) had been in LA recently recruiting.

Honestly without more the situation sounded like a teenager saying something dumb in the moment in ignorance of the broader historical ramifications. I'm not sure it reflects too much on her character, and I would say the steps she took afterward were good ones.

That said, I'm not Jewish, so my opinion isn't all that relevant. And the coaches recruiting her probably know more than we do about whether there are other character issues.
Teenagers say a lot of really dumb things and Britt dropped two words in a goofy improvised interview that she now regrets deeply. I don't think it stemmed from hate or malice, just ignorance and being unaware of the possible fallout. Unless there are other red flags around her or the Iowa staff feels there is no chance she wants to play at Iowa, I certainly hope Iowa is going strong after her, she's a remarkably talented player.

FWIW I do plan to do more on the recruiting side once the season is over. In the past I've done player breakdowns after getting to watch some of their film. I'll try to do that again for current commits (and maybe top targets). But right now the season is in full swing and my wife and I are expecting our first child later this week.

A rumor from the Nebraska board on Britt Prince's recruitment: "I heard Britt Prince is all Nebraska but there has to be room made for her mom to be an assistant."

• Wow
Reactions: Torg
That just means when Amy Williams is fired, all the assistants will be let go too, and Prince for sure will transfer.

A rumor from the Nebraska board on Britt Prince's recruitment: "I heard Britt Prince is all Nebraska but there has to be room made for her mom to be an assistant."
Oof. Not great. But if that's true, Williams might not be in a position to say no. Her first five years were mediocre at best, and the team regressed pretty badly this season. Not sure she is on the hot seat yet, but it's probably getting warm.

Reactions: shikreto
Oof. Not great. But if that's true, Williams might not be in a position to say no. Her first five years were mediocre at best, and the team regressed pretty badly this season. Not sure she is on the hot seat yet, but it's probably getting warm.
This season has been a HUGE letdown for Nebraska fans. It’s easy to see why. I really feared them coming into the season. They didn’t graduate anyone (I don’t think? Correct me if I’m wrong). Jaz Shelley was primed for a huge senior season. Yes, Haiby was injured early and they lost Weidner, but they managed to beat Maryland in December. Lots of questions to be asked. Even ISU is bouncing back to finish the season strong.

To be fair, Michael Morgan coached for 7 years at Iowa. I could be wrong but I believe he joined Lisa when she took over at Iowa. I don't think Mitchell stayed more than 4 years, maybe 5, at OSU after Kelsey left. He might have stayed the 5th year, if Kelsey's sister was still there.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT