ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

I don't think Whalen has had much if any impact on Iowa's recruiting. Since the 2017-2018 season, we've had 3 Minnesota players (Monika Czinano, Lauren Jensen, and Chase Coley) and 3 Wisconsin players (McKenna Warnock, Megan Gustafson, and Carly Mohns) on roster. We recruit from both states, but wouldn't necessarily expect to land a recruit from either in a given class.

Plus Whalen's results thus far have been much closer to Wisconsin than Iowa. Yes she landed a good class this year, but it's also her 5th year as coach and this was her first big recruiting class.
I am just referring to her current crop of freshmen, not those names you mentioned from the past. This year's class included the #28, #39 and #55 players in the country according to ESPN, all from the Twin Cities area. So after four years of failure and running off good players, maybe Whalen has finally hit her stride. Too soon to tell but early signs of upgraded recruiting.

I'm not sure whether Iowa is done with its 2024 class.

On the one hand, as of now the 2024-2025 roster would project to have 14 players. That assumes no transfers, Clark moves on after her senior year, Feuerbach uses her medical redshirt, and allocates a roster spot for Ava Jones. Before this year, Coach Bluder didn't have rosters over 13 for a while, so that would point towards the class being done.

On the other hand, the only natural 3/4 in the 2023 and 2024 classes right now is Ava Jones, and she will have to overcome more than most to ever play meaningful minutes.

The portal obviously complicates this further. Iowa could have more transfers out, especially with a roster as big as it is this year and a rotation that is rarely more than 9 players deep. The coaches also could try to fill depth issues via the portal rather than adding another 2024 recruit.

Am wondering why Greenway hasn’t committed given her comments about Iowa being her top choice. Any insight/ speculation? TIA

Reactions: Torg
I am just referring to her current crop of freshmen, not those names you mentioned from the past. This year's class included the #28, #39 and #55 players in the country according to ESPN, all from the Twin Cities area. So after four years of failure and running off good players, maybe Whalen has finally hit her stride. Too soon to tell but early signs of upgraded recruiting.
My point in mentioning prior recruits is that we seem to recruit fairly evenly from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I don't think getting Stremlow is any sign Iowa is shifting to Wisconsin recruits instead of Minnesota recruits.

We also have info on Minnesota's 2023 class now. Only 1 of the 3 was from Minnesota. The Minnesota commit had an offer list similar to Stremlow's. Their commit from Czech Republic had a decent offer list, but nothing spectacular. They appear to be the only P5 school that offered their Washington commit.

The State of Minnesota has 3 players in the 2023 class listed on ESPN's Top 100. They committed to Stanford, Michigan, and Colorado. The best HS player from Minnesota in the 2024 class is committed to Michigan. So far, Whalen's big 2022 class looks like the outlier.

Reactions: HIWILLE
is Greenway class of 2025? Wish she would commit already 😂
She's class of 2026. WBB recruits certainly do commit that far out at times, but if she wants to go through the recruiting process first, she's only just getting into it. I don't see any reason to panic as of now. Especially when she has said in an interview Iowa is her dream school.

I don't think Whalen has had much if any impact on Iowa's recruiting. Since the 2017-2018 season, we've had 3 Minnesota players (Monika Czinano, Lauren Jensen, and Chase Coley) and 3 Wisconsin players (McKenna Warnock, Megan Gustafson, and Carly Mohns) on roster. We recruit from both states, but wouldn't necessarily expect to land a recruit from either in a given class.

Plus Whalen's results thus far have been much closer to Wisconsin than Iowa. Yes she landed a good class this year, but it's also her 5th year as coach and this was her first big recruiting class.
I generally agree with this take, with the exception of Mara Braun, who had Iowa and Maryland among her finalists before committing to Minnesota. Losing Bruan to Minnesota really hurt. IMO, between the current Iowa and Minnesota rosters, she is/will be the second best player. Braun could have really helped Iowa this year.

Last edited:
Intial thought: Those of you that have followed this thread know that I've watched her play a few times and have been watching her for a while. I think this is a pretty good addition and now you have Callie Levin and Stremlow in the same class.
Have you seen Jordyn Poole play? How would you compare their games. Both are relatively short, 5'6"-5'7", but Poole has an offer list suggesting more athleticism, and seems to be ranked higher, at this time.

She's class of 2026. WBB recruits certainly do commit that far out at times, but if she wants to go through the recruiting process first, she's only just getting into it. I don't see any reason to panic as of now. Especially when she has said in an interview Iowa is her dream school.
I get that we all want her and I obviously hope she commits, but I think we should all lower our expectations/hopes. She made those comments at what, age 12, 13? She will learn a lot and grow a lot and she is visiting lots of programs -- as she should. If she changes her mind between ages 13 and 16 b/c she realizes that another program fits her skills, strengths, attitude, whatever, really...we shouldn't be surprised or offended.

And we've also seen evidence that her father is trying to make sure she makes the right business decisions, i.e., taking NIL opportunities into account (which I don't think count against us, tbh) -- so that means even her parents (whom we might ordinarily hope would be her biggest Iowa cheerleaders) aren't necessarily nudging her toward Iowa out of loyalty either.

Reactions: BGHAWK and LinusPF
Aren't Levin and Stremlow the same position?
This is an interesting point, actually. If Clark takes a COVID year, this would mean we'd have at least 4 PGs on the roster in 2023-2024 (Clark, KJE, Levin, Stremlow). If she doesn't return, it'll mean we're young but deep at the 1, if nothing else. Have we had this kind of ball-handling depth in recent memory?

This is an interesting point, actually. If Clark takes a COVID year, this would mean we'd have at least 4 PGs on the roster in 2023-2024 (Clark, KJE, Levin, Stremlow). If she doesn't return, it'll mean we're young but deep at the 1, if nothing else. Have we had this kind of ball-handling depth in recent memory?
For the 2018-2019 team, Kathleen Doyle and Tania Davis were both PGs and Makenzie Meyer handled the ball really well as the 3. Doyle didn't really get ball-dominant until her senior year.

My guess is Coach Bluder actually prefers having 2s that are natural PGs. We just haven't seen it much recently because Clark plays best with the ball in her hands and because Marshall isn't a great ball handler.

Reactions: shikreto
I get that we all want her and I obviously hope she commits, but I think we should all lower our expectations/hopes. She made those comments at what, age 12, 13? She will learn a lot and grow a lot and she is visiting lots of programs -- as she should. If she changes her mind between ages 13 and 16 b/c she realizes that another program fits her skills, strengths, attitude, whatever, really...we shouldn't be surprised or offended.

And we've also seen evidence that her father is trying to make sure she makes the right business decisions, i.e., taking NIL opportunities into account (which I don't think count against us, tbh) -- so that means even her parents (whom we might ordinarily hope would be her biggest Iowa cheerleaders) aren't necessarily nudging her toward Iowa out of loyalty either.
Yes views can change, but when you've grown up wanting to be a Hawkeye your whole life and your father is also one of the school's more famous alumni I think it's unlikely. The two things I could see changing her mind are: 1) if Coach Bluder decides to retire or seems likely to, or 2) If she really forms a great connection with a coach.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Iowa wasn't her best NIL option. Her name alone will land her NIL deals at Iowa. If she lives up to her offer list and recruiting ranking, she'll make even more. I don't think anyone is going to replicate what Clark has built, but if Greenway is the star of a good Hawkeye team, she'll be one of or maybe even the highest paid athlete on campus.

Yes views can change, but when you've grown up wanting to be a Hawkeye your whole life and your father is also one of the school's more famous alumni I think it's unlikely. The two things I could see changing her mind are: 1) if Coach Bluder decides to retire or seems likely to, or 2) If she really forms a great connection with a coach.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Iowa wasn't her best NIL option. Her name alone will land her NIL deals at Iowa. If she lives up to her offer list and recruiting ranking, she'll make even more. I don't think anyone is going to replicate what Clark has built, but if Greenway is the star of a good Hawkeye team, she'll be one of or maybe even the highest paid athlete on campus.
my concern was we would fill up on guards and not have a spot for her…….but didn’t realize she was clear out to 2026

I just think it would be cool to have her follow in her parents footsteps and be a Hawkeye

Watched the second half of new commit Taylor Stremlow's game on you tube last night. Her Verona team was playing UConn commit KK Arnold's Germantown team. Exciting game the Arnold's team won by 1 point. As you might expect, Arnold and Stremlow dominated.
Stremlow definately has some Caitlin Clatk in her (minus the long distance shooting). Her ball handling skills are impressive. She had a double crossover, behind the back, spinning move on the baseline that ended up in a layup, that I'm still not sure how she pulled off. She also had several impressive passes: no-look, behind the back bounce passes, full court, ect.... like Clark sometimes those passes led to turnovers, but the court vision she has was elite.

Glad she is a Hawk!

Watched the second half of new commit Taylor Stremlow's game on you tube last night. Her Verona team was playing UConn commit KK Arnold's Germantown team. Exciting game the Arnold's team won by 1 point. As you might expect, Arnold and Stremlow dominated.
Stremlow definately has some Caitlin Clatk in her (minus the long distance shooting). Her ball handling skills are impressive. She had a double crossover, behind the back, spinning move on the baseline that ended up in a layup, that I'm still not sure how she pulled off. She also had several impressive passes: no-look, behind the back bounce passes, full court, ect.... like Clark sometimes those passes led to turnovers, but the court vision she has was elite.

Glad she is a Hawk!
Just watched that game. All over the court player, winner's mentality. Didn't get to see her outside shot, but it looks like the Hawks got a good one.

FWIW (basically nothing lol) I follow Addi Deal and I notice she likes quite a bit of Iowa WBB related content. Still holding out hope she’ll come around. I think she’s our best shot at a Top 10 recruit in the near future.
I've noticed that also, although she likes alot of tweets from alot of other power teams and players. It would help if her brother decides to go to Grinnell.

Reactions: CarterHall
Averaging 8.8 steals a game. Holy cow!
Anyone know if any recent recruits came in with this kind of a stat line? I know that outstanding HS stats rarely translate directly to college but still, that's quite a number. Curious if we have any players/alum with similar HS resumés...

FWIW (basically nothing lol) I follow Addi Deal and I notice she likes quite a bit of Iowa WBB related content. Still holding out hope she’ll come around. I think she’s our best shot at a Top 10 recruit in the near future.

Deal would be a huge get. Versatile, athletic 2/3. Might make up for losing Sahara Williams to OK. I'm not sure that Bluder has ever landed a SoCal player, (or an East Coaster), so that would indicate a major step forward in recruiting. Build upon the West Coast commit from Ava Heiden. Right now, I'm hoping Bluder hasn't shut down recruiting for 2024, and is still pursuing Amiah Hargrove. She's the 3/4 that I think the program needs. Something I'm not seeing in these recruits is great outside shooting. When Clark and Warnock are gone, who will shoot the 3? We have McCabe, and I believe she'll be that player, but you can't have just one. Thoughts?

Just dropping a report that coach Harmon was in attendance last night for Aaliyah Guyton’s game. As was Michigan State assistant and coaches from DePaul and Missouri.

Reactions: shikreto
Sahara Williams was named a McDonald’s All American today. Still disappointed the Hawks could not secure her commitment. But Iowa not alone. 8 McDonald’s AA’s from Big Ten states, and only 1 signed with the Big Ten (Maryland). Still surprised that the uptick in the Big Ten has not led to more top 25 high school players signing with Big Ten schools.

Also, Iowa State had a signee named McDonald’s AA today: Addyson Brown from Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT