ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'm curious re: how all of you react to CC's decision. I mean, certainly I would love to have seen her lead this new Iowa squad next year; but I was hoping she'd declare for the draft. I felt confident that she would, because she has a competitor's soul, and no way she turns down that next challenge. Next question is how does her decision influence recruiting?

Reactions: chaneccooms
Next year is her red shirt senior season, not her COVID year. FWIW people can make plans and then change them. I’m sure if Bluder offered the Covid year, she could change her mind.

It’s the same with Feuerbach. She could take a COVID year after next year — but doesn’t currently plan to. Thats likely bc Bluder hasn’t offered it to anyone and won’t until well into next season. I think Bluder may offer it to Feuerbach (I don’t think she will offer it to Goodman), and Feuerbach can then decide to put off her plans for a year or not.
I thought that this years senior class was the last covid year.

I would have been disappointed if she had opted for one more year at Iowa. She has accomplished just about everything she could.

Reactions: intrepodor
I'm curious re: how all of you react to CC's decision. I mean, certainly I would love to have seen her lead this new Iowa squad next year; but I was hoping she'd declare for the draft. I felt confident that she would, because she has a competitor's soul, and no way she turns down that next challenge. Next question is how does her decision influence recruiting?
For recruiting I think Iowa has a small window where the brand is as popular as its ever been. If Iowa can land some of the big recruits its chasing in the 2025 and 2026 classes and keep those players at Iowa, the Hawks have a good chance at sticking as one of the top programs in the conference, at least for the rest of the Bluder years.

If not, Iowa could easily become the next Oregon: a great few year stretch with a transformative talent and falloff once that talent leaves.

Here is the list of recruits confirmed to attend Senior Day on Sunday:

Uncommitted
  • Addie Deal (Mater Dei HS, CA) - G - ‘25
  • Maddyn Greenway (Providence Academy, MN) - G - ‘26
  • Addison Bjorn (Park Hill South HS, MO) - W - ‘26
  • Emilee Skinner (Ridgeline HS, UT) - G - ‘25
  • Ashlyn Koupal (Wagner HS, SD) - SG - ‘26
  • Libby Fandel (Xaver HS, IA) - G - ‘25
  • Jhaliana Guy (Clinton HS, IA) - PG - ‘28

Iowa Commits
  • Aaliyah Guyton - G - ‘24
  • Teagan Mallegni - G/F - ‘24
  • Taylor Stremlow - G - ‘24
  • Callie Levin - G - ‘24

Uncommitted

Iowa Commits
  • Callie Levin - G - ‘24
WOW 3 visits from Addie Deal. Bluder has GOT to close the deal. Thanks for posting!

Uncommitted

Iowa Commits
  • Callie Levin - G - ‘24
Skinner, Deal, Houston, & Hays for 25 wouldn't be too bad🤞 A stretch 4 would be icing on the cake

Last edited:
If we somehow signed Bjorn and Deal, we’d need to come up with some kind of A-moniker for the team. That’d be 3 Addis, 2 Avas, an Aliyah, an AJ within a few years lmao

Reactions: Torg
Just a note... Goodman is coming back for her redshirt year next season then moving on to nursing school, won't take her Covid season per an interview with her early this season.
Looks like Goodman is not coming back next season and is heading to nursing school. We have another open scholarship. Also, I love Goodman -- she seems wonderful, and I wish her the best.

Goodman departure opens the door for another “portal obsession”: do we go after a point guard with one year of eligibility? Not much to lose…

Skinner, Deal, Houston, & Hays for 25 wouldn't be too bad🤞 A stretch 4 would be icing on the cake
Yes, that would be an awesome class but visits doesn't gaurantee a commitment. Deal's game reminds me alot od Caitlin. Hays is an athletic big. Don't know much about Skinner. Really glad Houston is in the fold.

Reactions: Torg and HIWILLE
Just call it the A-Team

mr-t-mad.gif

Watched Callie Levin for the first time last night, It seems like she kinda gets thrown in as an after thought when discussing next years freshman class. I came away feeling pretty good about her skills, Really pushes the ball aggressively with her head up reading the floor, She had a couple of fast break passes that looked very Caitlin Clark like. Had a good stroke from the perimeter and seems to be able to handle physicality pretty well.
Honestly not sure what I expected but I liked her game. Again just a one game sample.

Watched Callie Levin for the first time last night, It seems like she kinda gets thrown in as an after thought when discussing next years freshman class. I came away feeling pretty good about her skills, Really pushes the ball aggressively with her head up reading the floor, She had a couple of fast break passes that looked very Caitlin Clark like. Had a good stroke from the perimeter and seems to be able to handle physicality pretty well.
Honestly not sure what I expected but I liked her game. Again just a one game sample.
I saw a video of her awhile ago and she had a nice step back 3. She is interesting bc she had a unique recruiting / AAU experience. She had a couple somewhat interesting, cautiously impressive offers very early (and a bunch of non-interesting/non-impressive offers as well) — Arkansas was the one that I remember surprised me. An SEC school, even if not an elite one, offering a freshman / sophomore suggests some skills. Kyle H went to see her in person and suspected she would enter the ESPN top 100 sooner or later (tho he is far from an expert evaluator).

But she left AIA to play for an indie team and a couple people suspected that meant she’d never get the exposure to break thru, and she never did. Blue Star has her as a Top 30 recruit actually (!!!) but quite a few people say their rankings leave much to be desired. I could be wrong but I don’t believe any other ranking service has included her at all….and she committed so early she likely missed out on any offers that might have upped her profile. Idk enough about AAU to say whether her leaving for a new team gave her more opportunity to improve even if it was less opportunity to shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg and Scott559
We'll see if her "agility" can translate to the next level......

I would have been disappointed if she had opted for one more year at Iowa. She has accomplished just about everything she could.
Yes, I also came away impressed after watching her last night in championship game. She certainly doesn’t lack confidence in herself.

It is the last class.......Thank God. Should have only been for the players who were seniors that first year anyway..
It wasn’t rly about making up for the canceled tournament tho. It was just about the uncertainty of it all. At the time it was the only thing that made sense. People didn’t know if the season would even make it to January. Some kids didn’t wanna play. Others did but what if they got sick and the season was ruined for them bc of it? It just made sense to let it be a do-over for anyone — whether they wanted to brave the new world or they felt unsafe, no one would he punished or miss anything no matter their decisions or health.

The COVID year and the transfer portal has made it very difficult for many freshmen and sophomores in all sports the last couple years. Hard to get playing time with 5th and 6th year players sticking around. Some girls are getting extra years at the expense of many other girls losing years of playing time! All of a sudden, there are 24 yr. old athletes playing against 18 yr. old players.

The COVID year and the transfer portal has made it very difficult for many freshmen and sophomores in all sports the last couple years. Hard to get playing time with 5th and 6th year players sticking around. Some girls are getting extra years at the expense of many other girls losing years of playing time!
Yes but the ncaa’s responsibility was to their active athletes, not future ones.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Yes but the ncaa’s responsibility was to their active athletes, not future ones.
Yes, for those seniors. After that year we knew whats was going on and have figured out how to deal with it. There is NO way this should have been drug out for four years...As danny pointed out, players still got screwed, only it was lots of underclassman and to some degree high school players because there were less spots open.....

Reactions: chesapeake bay dog
I didn't realize Callie has a couple of younger siblings, Tenley may be one to watch in the '29 class.

https://twitter.com/tenleylevin10

"LAS VEGAS – Wootten 150 Showcase is held annually for some of the high school games biggest and brightest stars. Hosted by the group that is in charge of selecting players for the McDonald’s All-American Games, it gives participants a chance to both interact with and play in front of the committee members on hand. Here’s my takeaway on some of the best performances from senior class members.

Callie Levin is going to be a good piece for Iowa. She’s so competitive. Levin took a shot to the nose, started bleeding but not visible to the refs and refused to come out of the game until her rotation subbed out. She went to the trainer, got her nose plugged and finished the game. That’s my kind of ball player."

One of the Prospects Nation evaluators wrote this last fall about Levin. Made me a bit more optimistic about her potential.

Pencil in around 30 minutes of playing time for each of Feuerbach, McCabe, and Affolter next season. That leaves a total of 30 more minutes at the guard position (what I'm considering the 1 through 3 in our system) between Levin, Stremlow, and KJE (or any potential transfer). Minutes to be had for sure but too early to tell who will earn them. If Affolter plays more at the 4 like she has this season, or if Feuerbach/McCabe end up being more 20-25mpg players, that's even more guard minutes that could be opened up.

Imagine if Lauren Jensen hadn't transferred. Would we have pursued Kylie or Molly? Interesting thought experiment. When Jensen ended our season in '22 it was pretty gut wrenching, but given how '23 ended up I wouldn't go back and change a single thing!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT