ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Any young lady that likes a fast break offense and the freedom to shoot will definitely consider Iowa. In addition, any parent that wants their daughter to be developed for the future, then Iowa is place to go.
Unfortunately a BS “Bluder doesn’t develop players for the next level” narrative has taken hold out of jealousy. Megan Gustafson’s lack of a 3 pt shot, Clark’s lack of defense, etc tend to be used against us. I don’t agree — I’m constantly arguing the opposite on Twitter — but it’s a common refrain among fans of programs like Maryland and South Carolina.

• Angry
Reactions: Torg
Unfortunately a BS “Bluder doesn’t develop players for the next level” narrative has taken hold out of jealousy. Megan Gustafson’s lack of a 3 pt shot, Clark’s lack of defense, etc tend to be used against us. I don’t agree — I’m constantly arguing the opposite on Twitter — but it’s a common refrain among fans of programs like Maryland and South Carolina.
Well, they can't afford more competition so it's not surprising they would say things like that.

I am optimistic this will lead to some further momentum in recruiting. Deal is well known, could def help sway some kids from farther away who might not otherwise consider moving to a flyover state.

Here’s also hoping it might in some way nudge a PG into our nest from the portal this off-season.

I am optimistic this will lead to some further momentum in recruiting. Deal is well known, could def help sway some kids from farther away who might not otherwise consider moving to a flyover state.

Here’s also hoping it might in some way nudge a PG into our nest from the portal this off-season.
Looking at the best recruits we are looking at, tons of guards. Not sure what kind of offense would run. Guard heavy like now, with 2 of the guards being strong rebounders? Curious to see how this goes.

Looking at the best recruits we are looking at, tons of guards. Not sure what kind of offense would run. Guard heavy like now, with 2 of the guards being strong rebounders? Curious to see how this goes.
Bluder has always run a guard heavy lineup. McKenna Warnock was a guard playing PF. She only begrudgingly plays two true bigs at once bc she likes to stretch the floor. An ideal breakdown is 3 true bigs and 8-9 Ws/Gs. McGaughy and Hays would be godsends and we’re in the running for both. Would be ideal to go along with Heiden.

Bluder has always run a guard heavy lineup. McKenna Warnock was a guard playing PF. She only begrudgingly plays two true bigs at once bc she likes to stretch the floor. An ideal breakdown is 3 true bigs and 8-9 Ws/Gs. McGaughy and Hays would be godsends and we’re in the running for both. Would be ideal to go along with Heiden.
I was typing the same thing. Lol. We really need only a few solid post players. Ava Heiden (6-4) is committed to the 2024 class.

I think we have a huge chance of landing Layla Hays (6-5) out of AK. She seemed to enjoy her visit, and her mom keeps liking Iowa WBB-related tweets on X. She doesn’t do that for any other team besides where Layla’s sister plays (EWU), and I doubt she goes there.

Also, I would love to get McGaughy (6-3) or Henderson (6-1), but who knows about them? Henderson seems very interested in Michigan, and McGaughy said in an article that UCONN is her dream school.

Some taller guard commits are Mallegni (6-1), Deal (6-0), and Houston (5-11), who, from what I have heard, is a really strong rebounder.

Skinner (6-0) and Addison Bjorn (6-1) are other possible recruits with height.

I'm probably missing someone in all of this, though. Either way, Addie Deal committed!! That is huge momentum and worth celebrating!

I was typing the same thing. Lol. We really need only a few solid post players. Ava Heiden (6-4) is committed to the 2024 class.

I think we have a huge chance of landing Layla Hays (6-5) out of AK. She seemed to enjoy her visit, and her mom keeps liking Iowa WBB-related tweets on X. She doesn’t do that for any other team besides where Layla’s sister plays (EWU), and I doubt she goes there.

Also, I would love to get McGaughy (6-3) or Henderson (6-1), but who knows about them? Henderson seems very interested in Michigan, and McGaughy said in an article that UCONN is her dream school.

Some taller guard commits are Mallegni (6-1), Deal (6-0), and Houston (5-11), who, from what I have heard, is a really strong rebounder.

Skinner (6-0) and Addison Bjorn (6-1) are other possible recruits with height.

I'm probably missing someone in all of this, though. Either way, Addie Deal committed!! That is huge momentum and worth celebrating!
I know they went guard heavy in the 24 class but getting Skinner would be put the 25 class into elite status. She's every bit the player Deal is. I think it's looking good for Hays as well.

Reactions: skydog0784 and Torg
We need Hays and McGaughy to complete the Pacific Rim Slam!
We've got California and Oregon represented, now just need Washington and Alaska!

The overall excitement around the Iowa program, and the insane atmosphere in these games has to be an incredible recruiting tool for a program that might otherwise be a tough sell. I'll be a bit shocked if the past two seasons doesn't swing a few major recruits our direction.
That would be nice and probably true in the before times. - now it's show me the money. Top recruits require top dollar.

Are you hearing some good things about skinner? Love her game. Looks gritty and about had a quadruple double the other night.

Are you hearing some good things about skinner? Love her game. Looks gritty and about had a quadruple double the other night.
She seems legit, and a true PG. What I don't know is whether we should believe she'll choose Iowa. I'm not sure of any connections. Also can't find a list of her other offers. My sense is our best chances are with Speiser and Hays.

Reactions: letsgosports
I don't think that's true for women's basketball. Maybe I'm naive.
It was certainly was true for portal last year. Lisa even commented a few prospects were out of our price range. No names were mentioned but supposedly the Bett girl that ended up at at UCLA was seeking seven figures

Reactions: Kurt Johnson
For more reference:
Current commits: Prospects Nation has commits: Deal #5, and Houston #31.
Prospects: Skinner #9, Speiser #13, McGaughy #16, and Hays #21.

2026 Bjorn, Greenway, and Lewis are all top 25 at the moment.
Don’t forget Taliyah Henderson and Destiny Jackson for 2025! Pretty sure we have a seat at the table with both. Adelaide Jernigan also had us in her Top 10.

Last edited:
Don’t forget Taliyah Henderson and Destiny Jackson for 2025! Pretty sure we have a seat at the table with both. Adelaide Jernigan also had us in her Top 10.
How many scholarships will we be filling for the 2025 class? Could we ever get into a scenario where we'd have to turn someone away?

How many scholarships will we be filling for the 2025 class? Could we ever get into a scenario where we'd have to turn someone away?
Based on information from other threads, it seems like the consensus is that there will be at least 5 scholarships in the 2025 class. I don’t think the staff would want to bring in more than 5 new players in the same class anyway.

Reactions: mphawk and hawkod
I agree-- I think being competitive in the NIL space and our team's performance this postseason will have a significant impact.

Side Note:
It would be great if the SWARM could provide an option to donate any amount directly to the WBB team rather than only allowing donations of $1K or more. More people would be willing to donate if a more affordable donation option was available. Additionally, I hope they will make more of an effort to promote donations to the Swarm for WBB, especially during this post-season when our program will be most visible. Our WBB team has a legitimate chance to become a top-tier program post-Clark if we approach this properly. Otherwise, it may be too little, too late.

Furthermore, I feel like once we secure a big-name recruit from out of state in the 2025 class (looking at you, Addie Deal), the rest of the recruits will be more inclined to commit. If we get a commitment from her and another top recruit, we may have a chance at landing Lewis, Greenway, and Bjorn, as they clearly seem to be friends and have already visited the campus a lot.
I never get too carried away with the "they seem to be friends deal". They may be "friendly" when they are there sharing the same experience, and MAY bond to some degree. Still they all play high school AND high level AAU ball elsewhere and have many closer friends. In the end that will have little to do with their choice, and some of them may see some others as possibly in contention for future playing time. You just never know.....

Reactions: BGHAWK
The overall excitement around the Iowa program, and the insane atmosphere in these games has to be an incredible recruiting tool for a program that might otherwise be a tough sell. I'll be a bit shocked if the past two seasons doesn't swing a few major recruits our direction.
I thought the same this last year with a potential portal recruit coming in. Didn’t happen. Still awfully excited to have Deal. Hope she gets in the ears of other recruits.

Not sure if anyone else caught this during the UConn game but holly rowe recounted a story that I hadn’t heard yet. She said the day after the Elite 8 game versus Baylor in 2019, Bluder flew to DSM and visited Caitlin. Bluder told Caitlin, “We were so close to the final four, I just know that with you, we can finally get there.”

Can’t help but wonder if she’ll now fly to the hometowns of McGaughy, Speiser, Hays, Greenway, etc to make the same pitch. Only this time, she’d be selling them on winning the title….

Not sure if anyone else caught this during the UConn game but holly rowe recounted a story that I hadn’t heard yet. She said the day after the Elite 8 game versus Baylor in 2019, Bluder flew to DSM and visited Caitlin. Bluder told Caitlin, “We were so close to the final four, I just know that with you, we can finally get there.”

Can’t help but wonder if she’ll now fly to the hometowns of McGaughy, Speiser, Hays, Greenway, etc to make the same pitch. Only this time, she’d be selling them on winning the title….
Fly to the most talented tall girl on that list if that is the recruiting pitch. I believe it is unlikely a team will win a WBB championship without a strong front court. A dominating Center is a major advantage.

Fly to the most talented tall girl on that list if that is the recruiting pitch. I believe it is unlikely a team will win a WBB championship without a strong front court. A dominating Center is a major advantage.
It’s 6’5 Layla Hays, all the way in Alaska lol. But yeah, I agree she should be the highest priority in the 2025 class. Fortunately I also think she is the warmest target.

Tho I’m not as concerned if we don’t get her since Heiden at 6’4 isn’t too shabby either. I suspect she’ll be rearing to go out the gates and Bluder will be happy to give her the reins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT