ADVERTISEMENT

New Joe Toussaint video: "Meet the Freshman"

I like his swagger and hating to lose, and I've always liked his tapes and skills. He really could be a difference maker, but we won't know until he has played against top competition.

I thought the brief part in the tape, where they show he being bumped by a guy holding pads, was funny. Is that supposed to prepare him for playing against teams like MSU?

Last edited:
I like his swagger and hating to lose, and I've always liked his tapes and skills. He really could be a difference maker, but we won't know until he has played against top competition.

I thought the brief part in the tape, where they show he being bumped by a guy holding pads, was funny. Is that supposed to prepare him for playing against teams like MSU?
That's what MSU does to toughen their guys up. It's common.

Our HS team did the same thing. Generally they do that on rebounding, layup and big man drills, lets them simulate contact. It's pretty common.

No, there was no hands grabbing and holding him ;)

Obviously not, I didn't see anyone with a handful of his jersey.

Reactions: kceasthawk

Haha.. When I was in highschool, our coaches would use those American Gladiator style joust sticks! Gotta be used to contact!

Very much looking forward to seeing more video of Joe T!!! I think he is going to be just what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I am all in on Joe T holding down the PG spot for the next 4 years. Everything I have seen excites me about him.
I am excited to see JoeT play for the next four years. He’ll provide some new ‘quickness’ excitement. We just need more of that in the next classes. Joe’s shooting display was particularly intriguing in this vid.

Joe looks great - Only thing I see in the video is that he has a hitch in his shot. Once he catches the ball he drops it down and then comes up. It is probably a rhythm thing, but to get his shot off faster he may need to catch it and have the first move go up. But what do I know.... it is Friday in July and I am truly excited to watch this team this year.

Exactly, plus we don't need another shooter, we need a guy to break a defense down and handle man to man defense. With Weiskamp, Fredrick, and Gaza we have 3 pt threats, we just need Joe T. to drive the lane and draw the defense in and kick it out.

He’s gotta have a shot that opponents have to respect. Doesn’t need to be a sharpshooter but a solid shot will help his drive game.

Joe looks great - Only thing I see in the video is that he has a hitch in his shot. Once he catches the ball he drops it down and then comes up. It is probably a rhythm thing, but to get his shot off faster he may need to catch it and have the first move go up. But what do I know.... it is Friday in July and I am truly excited to watch this team this year.

It is a rhythm thing, and a lot of players do it. Bohannon does it. Steph Curry does it. Ray Allen did it. It’s not a big deal at all.

Lol at all the shot doctors here on HR
That would be a resounding “yes.”

Yea.....me too hoop....what I did notice did folks see the 3 pt line extended to 22ft 1&3/4 inches? Good luck to those teams who were not very good 3pt shooting at the 20ft 9 inches and now have to make 3 points shooting from that distance....

Iowa shot 36.1% with JBo last season….Iowa was 3rd in the B1G with that % behind MSU and PU so it's great to see JT knocking down the 3 shot from that distance...….and this dunk vid is really incredible at Joe's size..

Inside the arc play is going to be a big part of the offense and with our bigs and what you are seeing with Joe already in the vid making the assist to the bigs for easy buckets at the rim (low risk scoring opps) and also Bakari's ability to get into the lane to either score or dish is going to be huge for the team this year....Bakari's maturity I am hoping is going to help a lot too.

Joe and Bakari skill sets are just what this teams and roster needs.....

Yea.....me too hoop....what I did notice did folks see the 3 pt line extended to 22ft 1&3/4 inches? Good luck to those teams who were not very good 3pt shooting at the 20ft 9 inches and now have to make 3 points shooting from that distance....

Iowa shot 36.1% with JBo last season….Iowa was 3rd in the B1G with that % behind MSU and PU so it's great to see JT knocking down the 3 shot from that distance...….and this dunk vid is really incredible at Joe's size..

Inside the arc play is going to be a big part of the offense and with our bigs and what you are seeing with Joe already in the vid making the assist to the bigs for easy buckets at the rim (low risk scoring opps) and also Bakari's ability to get into the lane to either score or dish is going to be huge for the team this year....Bakari's maturity I am hoping is going to help a lot too.

Joe and Bakari skill sets are just what this teams and roster needs.....
As you have pointed out, we have a number of shot makers this year. Not simply 3 point shooters....we have guys who can hit pull up jumpers (which I predict will become a more valuable commodity with the 3 point line moving back.) I look for Connor to be pretty effective with this. We have the horses to do damage down low, so that makes those jump shots more available.

As you have pointed out, we have a number of shot makers this year. Not simply 3 point shooters....we have guys who can hit pull up jumpers (which I predict will become a more valuable commodity with the 3 point line moving back.) I look for Connor to be pretty effective with this. We have the horses to do damage down low, so that makes those jump shots more available.

Agree..... a lot. Different offensive approach strategy is what I see with that 3 pt line being moved back, especially if you have some brick shooters. At the start of any game, ya better be able to put the ball in the hoop beyond the arc or inside of it and get some stops on the D end which we all know this team needs to get better at doing if you want to win a basketball game.

Even w/o JBo, I still think this team will have a nice combo of guys who can stroke the 3 shot and also has excellent size/length and bucket makers going towards the rim and pull ups as you are saying.

If you watch Bakari and JT's vids.....they can beat you off the dribble, get into the lane and either finish or dish to for one of the bigs to finish.

Garza is almost automatic down low and continues to get better and better, we know what Pemsl and Kriener can do and than here comes our biggest player...a 7 footer in Nunge. What about Patrick? He knows what to do with the ball at rim... The beauty in all this and we'll see with that line being moved back (?) but outside of Pemsl, our bigs can stroke the 3 shot.....better than any other team we play. I've already seen Garza knocking down shots from a distance and I am assuming he is behind the new 3 pt line?

Lot's of ways to put the ball in the hoop......I like that.

Agree..... a lot. Different offensive approach strategy is what I see with that 3 pt line being moved back, especially if you have some brick shooters. At the start of any game, ya better be able to put the ball in the hoop beyond the arc or inside of it and get some stops on the D end which we all know this team needs to get better at doing if you want to win a basketball game.

Even w/o JBo, I still think this team will have a nice combo of guys who can stroke the 3 shot and also has excellent size/length and bucket makers going towards the rim and pull ups as you are saying.

If you watch Bakari and JT's vids.....they can beat you off the dribble, get into the lane and either finish or dish to for one of the bigs to finish.

Garza is almost automatic down low and continues to get better and better, we know what Pemsl and Kriener can do and than here comes our biggest player...a 7 footer in Nunge. What about Patrick? He knows what to do with the ball at rim... The beauty in all this and we'll see with that line being moved back (?) but outside of Pemsl, our bigs can stroke the 3 shot.....better than any other team we play. I've already seen Garza knocking down shots from a distance and I am assuming he is behind the new 3 pt line?

Lot's of ways to put the ball in the hoop......I like that.

If all of the new guys at least meet expectations, we'll be fine. But there are a lot of question marks between Evelyn, Joe T., CJF, Patrick, Nunge and Cordell after a year off.... A lot of potential, but I can just as easily see things going very wrong. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Can the new guys hang in the Big Ten? Will Joe T. rise to the occasion, or will he struggle with turnovers? Will Patrick's size be a problem? How effective will Nunge be at the 4? Can CJF step in as consistent 3-point threat to complement Wieskamp? Is Evelyn fully healthy, and will he play more like he did his sophomore year?

Basically, we're looking at a brand-new team this coming season. Chemistry will be a big factor, especially on defense. Who will step up as team leaders? Will they have the mental toughness to respond to adversity?

Wieskamp and Garza will be the key pieces of this offense. But Garza struggled with his outside shot after his injury last season, and fouls were a problem. Plus he won't have an athletic freak of nature like Cook drawing the attention of the defense. Pemsl and Nunge are good players but they can't score at will in the post like Cook could.

And obviously there's the issue of the schedule, which will be tough. In the noncon we get Cincinnati in Chicago, Creighton and TTech/SDSU in Las Vegas, at Syracuse, at Iowa State... We're gonna see what this squad is made of pretty damn quick.

Are we going to be a good defensive team?

Connor is a good defensive guard, especially against other tall guards. Bakari is an unknown but a step up from Moss on the defensive end wouldn’t take a lot.

Joe T appears to be very quick and is likely a 4 star prospect in some part because of his ability to defend.

Joe W has the the potential to be a lockdown wing defender with his wingspan and athleticism. Pemsl can switch 1-4, Patrick will be a good secondary defender.

Fran will have the option to play defensive minded guards because of their likely success in the front court. Between Garza, Kriener, Pemsl, and Nunge, you could have an average of 46 to 52 points a game. The guards will need to make timely threes and defend like crazy.

The only real known weakness is Garza. CJ Frederick may be a better defender than some anticipate and Nunge will finally be playing his God given position and has added weight.

I think 10 seed in the tourney is our floor with the ceiling being a 5

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT