ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico Police Fatally Shoot Man After Responding to Wrong House

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The New Mexico State Police are investigating a fatal shooting by police officers in Farmington, N.M., after the officers responded to the wrong house for a domestic violence call on Wednesday night, officials said.
Farmington Police Department officers were responding to a call at 5308 Valley View Avenue in Farmington, a city in the rural northwest corner of New Mexico, but knocked on the front door at 5305 Valley View Avenue instead, the State Police said.
Police officers fatally shot Robert Dotson, 52, after they “mistakenly approached” his home around 11:30 p.m. and he opened his screen door armed with a handgun, the New Mexico State Police said in a statement on Thursday.
Mr. Dotson’s wife, who was not named, then fired from the house’s doorway with a handgun, investigators said, and the police fired back. She put down the gun once she realized that the people outside were police officers.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The Farmington Police Department chief, Steve Hebbe, apologized for the fatal shooting in a video statement on Thursday, saying that he was “heartbroken.”
“I extend nothing but my deepest condolences to the Dotson family,” he said. “There’s nothing I can say that will make this better.”
Chief Hebbe said the police department would release body camera footage from the shooting in the next week.
He said that after Mr. Dotson opened his front door, “a chaotic scene” followed, “with officers retreating and opening fire.”
Officials have not specified how many officers fired at Mr. Dotson, named the officers or provided the employment status of the officers.

The New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau, which is part of the State Police, said on Thursday that it was still investigating the shooting, and did not offer a timeline for how long it might take.
“The New Mexico State Police act solely as fact-finders in their cases and do not determine whether an officer’s actions were justified in these types of matters,” the State Police said in the statement on Thursday. “That decision rests with the district attorney’s office.”
The San Juan County District Attorney’s Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Mr. Dotson’s wife could not immediately be reached on Friday morning.
The State Police said that Farmington police officers who were responding to the call at 5308 Valley View Avenue knocked on the front door of 5305 Valley View Avenue and announced themselves as officers, but no one answered. The officers then asked the dispatcher to call back the person who reported the domestic violence and to have that person come to the front door.
Investigators said that body camera footage showed that as officers “backed away” from the house, Mr. Dotson opened a screen door armed with a handgun. Then at least one officer fired at Mr. Dotson, striking him.

The Office of the Medical Investigator pronounced Mr. Dotson dead at the scene from fatal injuries he received in the shooting, the State Police said. Mrs. Dotson was not injured and has not been charged with a crime. The police officers involved in the shooting were also not injured.

Yeeesh that is no bueno

However the good that comes from this: lawyers will be paid

Just to make sure I understand, the police knocked on the wrong door. Someone answers with a gun. The guys wife starts shooting at police from inside the house. The police shoot back and kill someone.

If that sequence is correct, then I see no issue. Police knocked on incorrect door— big deal.

gangs-of-new-york-daniel-day-lewis.gif

Oh well, shit happens. Just like children - small price to pay so we can all pew pew.

Just to make sure I understand, the police knocked on the wrong door. Someone answers with a gun. The guys wife starts shooting at police from inside the house. The police shoot back and kill someone.

If that sequence is correct, then I see no issue. Police knocked on incorrect door— big deal.

I think you missed the part where the police shot the guy when he answered his door with a gun...

What kind of neighborhood are you in where you answer your door with a gun in your hand?... Christ, if it's that bad, don't answer the door...
Not really the point, is it?
To give you an answer, the NRA's America. Every American has the right to open their front door and shoot someone if they feel like they have to stand their ground.

I’ve gone to the wrong door a dozen times. Probably more. Houses often aren’t marked. Thankfully I’ve never been shot.

What I don’t get is that streets are almost always even and off on different sides of the street. For instance I can see messing up 703 east main and 705 east main. They are right by each other. 703 and 704 should be on different sides of the street.

Sad. Just very sad. I have friends that ask me why I don't have Veteran plates on my car. I have a lot of reasons why, but the biggest is that some LEO will see the plates and assume I'm armed. (Never owned a firearm in my life)

Don't go to door holding a firearm.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Now if the police even see a gun, they just start killing people.

The requirements for the use of deadly force have slipped to the point that cowardice is sufficient.

Yeah, the police shot and killed the husband who came to the door with a gun. The wife fires back until she realizes it's police and not criminals.
The article I first read made it sound like the wife started shooting and the police fired back then killing the guy.

The article I first read made it sound like the wife started shooting and the police fired back then killing the guy.
Nope, the Police shot and killed the guy who came to the door when they saw he had a gun. Only guessing, but probably some loud banging on the door so the guy grabs his gun and goes to the door to check it out... opens the door and bang (dead guy in the doorway)... wife is like holy shit I'm next, shoots back until at some point it's clear they are police.

All I know is Farmington, NM, and/or their insurance company will be writing a big fat check.

Reactions: ericram
“Police officers fatally shot Robert Dotson, 52, after they “mistakenly approached” his home around 11:30 p.m. and he opened his screen door armed with a handgun, the New Mexico State Police said in a statement on Thursday.
Mr. Dotson’s wife, who was not named, then fired from the house’s doorway with a handgun, investigators said, and the police fired back. She put down the gun once she realized that the people outside were police officers.”

God damn it, but I feel I have gone full circle here due to the gun problem we have in this nation. The police, a neighbor or a lost citizen have the right to knock on your door at 11:30 PM and not be answered by a guy with a hand gun married to a woman with another hand gun who just opens up fire on you. This is on gun culture. Not police at wrong house.

Wrong sequence.

“Police officers fatally shot Robert Dotson, 52, after they “mistakenly approached” his home around 11:30 p.m. and he opened his screen door armed with a handgun, the New Mexico State Police said in a statement on Thursday.
Mr. Dotson’s wife, who was not named, then fired from the house’s doorway with a handgun, investigators said, and the police fired back. She put down the gun once she realized that the people outside were police officers.”

God damn it, but I feel I have gone full circle here due to the gun problem we have in this nation. The police, a neighbor or a lost citizen have the right to knock on your door at 11:30 PM and not be answered by a guy with a hand gun married to a woman with another hand gun who just opens up fire on you. This is on gun culture. Not police at wrong house.
It doesn't say whether the police identified themselves (you can talk through a "screen door" pretty easily), or whether the citizen lifted and/or pointed the gun. I'm guessing it's a "no" to both of those.

I was fired at, but couldn't identify a target. It wasn't like Platoon and just shoot 'em up.

LEO - I'm scared <empties magazine at 12 year old w/toy gun>

Soldier in Iraq/AFG (taking incoming fire) - Where the f*** is the f***er, anyone have eyes on? No, but but the f***er can't f**ing hit f***ing anything. Keep f***ing looking, sit f***ing tight.

<hour, 300 rounds, later>

Have eyes. <1 shot> Got him

<Reality - Troops probably dropping way more f-bombs than that before that single shot>

Soldier in Iraq/AFG (taking incoming fire) - Where the f*** is the f***er, anyone have eyes on? No, but but the f***er can't f**ing hit f***ing anything. Keep f***ing looking, sit f***ing tight.

<Reality - Troops probably dropping way more f-bombs than that before that single shot>

I am diagnosed PTSD, but don't you think that is a reason for large amount of soldiers having problems are. They can shoot at you, but you can't defend yourself. Much harder in an urban setting with women and children in the fray

GIOART members....listen to this man

I am diagnosed PTSD, but don't you think that is a reason for large amount of soldiers having problems are. They can shoot at you, but you can't defend yourself. Much harder in an urban setting with women and children in the frray

Some, yeah. But I have a friend with PTSD that largely is related to firing at what he thought was the right target...killed a 4 year old and his mom. Wrong window.

Also have a friend that was in Mogadishu in '93. That whole thing brought it's own set of issues. He left the Rangers because of it.

Some, yeah. But I have a friend with PTSD that largely is related to firing at what he thought was the right target...killed a 4 year old and his mom. Wrong window.

Also have a friend that was in Mogadishu in '93. That whole thing brought it's own set of issues. He left the Rangers because of it.

Well if I went Platoon when caught in a traffic jam in SADR city, I would have killed a lot of indiscriminate people, and likely would have been killed myself. You kind of need to trust life.

Reactions: SSG T
Careful not to hurt yourself backtracking.

LOL

Another police fvckup. Surprised the cops didn't kill the wife so there weren't any witnesses.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT