ADVERTISEMENT

new name to watch in the HS ranks

Hawkeye2222

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2014
PG Jo Jo Anderson, started for Houston Yates HS then transferred to a Prep School in South Carolina. 6'3 160 lbs,

my only concern as of now there are going to be 5 players in the 2015 class and if Fran takes 2 more that will make 7 in the 2015 class,

Moss
Flemming
Hutton
Wagner
RSFR Ellingson

make more sense to me to take a pair of JUCO's one a 3 year player and the other a 2 year player. that or bank 1 if not 2, the 2016 class Fran will 4 scholarships to give but the 2017 class of now only has 1 scholarship and Connor already has that one,, AND Fran WON'T run players off. as much as some of you want him to do.

in my opinion if you want to have a rotation of 8 at most why have 13 players that can play now and make 5 of them SIT on the bench or at least 3.

I think people worry too much about banking and balancing. I'd be shocked if we had 7 commits and all of them A) played right away and B) all stayed 4 years. If that happens, then congratulations you had an amazing recruiting class and a fantastic 4 year run by which point you'll be pulling in top talent.

I think next year is a key year to build off the momentum of this year but we lose several players. We are thin at the PG spot and F/C position. I'm an odds type of person and the way I see it your odds of having 3 players step up and vill voids out of 5 is not as high as having 7. If a couple aren't ready, then you redshirt them and they divert into another class. If Fran sees a guy he knows can make an impact then go get him.

It's a win now sport and I think it's a poor choice to play the "what if" game for 4-5 years down the road.
This post was edited on 3/11 11:21 AM by GT Hawkaholic

Good to balance the classes, but banking more than one scholarship would be a really bad idea. Given the immediate need for a big, I would be shocked if Iowa banked both scholarships. IMO, the ideal situation would be a transfer or high-level HS big who can play right away and a PG who is likely to redshirt for a year (either a transfer with more than one year of eligibility left or a HS kid). We definitely do not want to settle on the PG, because he will need to be ready to play big minutes the year after next.

Thanks for the info Kilroy.

I'd like to see balanced classes as well, but from the looks of things with transferring for playing time becoming so common, and like you say it's hard to play 13 guys, I just don't think we'll be able to recruit three or four guys a year and expect the newbies to sit and wait their turn.

And, I don't know that it is that important anymore. In 2012/13 we started a freshman at point guard and at center and won 25 games. All this AAU ball, one sport athletes, the kids just seem more ready to step in right away.

That doesn't mean that recruit, retain and develop has gone away. But what I mean is we'll see less and less two year starters and more four year starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT