ADVERTISEMENT

New poll reveals what voters really think of America's most powerful teachers union!

A low living wage - holy shit, ape.
That wasn't the question. Your stated reasoning for the necessary evil of unions was to confront the first evil. Which is who exactly?
Since I don't expect you to answer, I'll point out the average Chicago public school teacher salary is 66,000. Anyone suggesting this isn't a "living wage" is an idiot.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
You'd just deny it as being accurate.
So you have no evidence that private schools are not dealing with a teacher shortage but public schools are. But I do appreciate that you are learning that posting something from any jackhole website isn't good enough and your data does actually need to be reliable. I'll take the win on that.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Not true, public school teachers leave and run to teach at the private schools.
Some sure. In anything like large numbers? Not a chance - unless they can afford to financially or it just means that much to do so, the pay discrepancy between the avg public/private school is too big to ignore.

So you have no evidence that private schools are not dealing with a teacher shortage but public schools are. But I do appreciate that you are learning that posting something from any jackhole website isn't good enough and your data does actually need to be reliable. I'll take the win on that.
Every private school I know of is at 100% teacher capacity.

Unfortunately, Unions are needed now more than ever before. Incursion on “workers rights” by state legislatures and increasing the rights of employers are a deadly combination for today’s working man. Like it or nor, workers are forced to turn to Unions for fair representation at the bargaining table. Your last sentence is complete bullshit……any worker know that! When your use to “the man” is done, your job is done.
Your responses are always good for a little chuckle.😄

That wasn't the question. Your stated reasoning for the necessary evil of unions was to confront the first evil. Which is who exactly?
Since I don't expect you to answer, I'll point out the average Chicago public school teacher salary is 66,000. Anyone suggesting this isn't a "living wage" is an idiot.
Move to Chicago and try! $66k is barely a living wage in suburban DSM. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Move to Chicago and try! $66k is barely a living wage in suburban DSM. Wake up and smell the coffee!
66k barely a living wage... now I've heard it all. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

One of my BIL is a CPS teacher. Has been for 16 years now and he's up to about 78k. My sis is a nurse who makes about the same.
They're doing just fine living in the city on the north side, own a home, 2 cars etc...

Anyone who can't survive on 66k either as a single person or 2nd wage earner doesn't have an income problem, they have a spending problem.

66k barely a living wage... now I've heard it all. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

One of my BIL is a CPS teacher. Has been for 16 years now and he's up to about 78k. My sis is a nurse who makes about the same.
They're doing just fine living in the city on the north side, own a home, 2 cars etc...

Anyone who can't survive on 66k either as a single person or 2nd wage earner doesn't have an income problem, they have a spending problem.
Take that $66k to Chicago or its ‘burbs...and live the good life! It is ball-bustin’ expensive to live there...eye-popping even! But then I am sure you know better...and my kids who have lived there for the past 20+ years have no phuquin’ clue what they are talking about...my kid lives in Evanston...(just for starters, $26k annual property taxes for starters..). They live in a nice area but certainly not exclusive, south of the University.

Take that $66k to Chicago or its ‘burbs...and live the good life! It is ball-bustin’ expensive to live there...eye-popping even! But then I am sure you know better...and my kids who have lived there for the past 20+ years have no phuquin’ clue what they are talking about...my kid lives in Evanston...(just for starters, $26k annual property taxes for starters..). They live in a nice area but certainly not exclusive, south of the University.
Doubling down. Who could have seen that coming from you.
This will be fun...
Tell us Joel, what would you consider a "living wage" in Chicago? Clearly you don't consider 66k (remember too this is for 9 months of work) to be so. What would it take, 80k? 90? 100? Keep in mind, the income level we're discussing specifically bc you and @IaHawk44 chose ton use it is a "living wage".

Doubling down. Who could have seen that coming from you.
This will be fun...
Tell us Joel, what would you consider a "living wage" in Chicago? Clearly you don't consider 66k (remember too this is for 9 months of work) to be so. What would it take, 80k? 90? 100? Keep in mind, the income level we're discussing specifically bc you and @IaHawk44 chose ton use it is a "living wage".
To maintain my level, probably double what I made…..,I dont live extravagant……but I don’t live poor, either….What ever it costs in IOwa I would think you’d have to at least double that to maintain in Chicago…and think twice about driving a car!
Im thinking teachers in Chicago live 12 months a year….Teaching “9 MONTHS” a years is really teaching and job responsibilities about 46 weeks annually…..I am sure Chicago teachers just dont walk in to school and unlock the doors on the 1st day of school and they Don’t just lock the doors on the last day of classes either….,

To maintain my level, probably double what I made…..,I dont live extravagant……but I don’t live poor, either….What ever it costs in IOwa I would think you’d have to at least double that to maintain in Chicago…and think twice about driving a car!
Im thinking teachers in Chicago live 12 months a year….Teaching “9 MONTHS” a years is really teaching and job responsibilities about 46 weeks annually…..I am sure Chicago teachers just dont walk in to school and unlock the doors on the 1st day of school and they Don’t just lock the doors on the last day of classes either….,
Enlightening. Nonsensical but enlightening. Which union did you run?

Last edited:
Enlightening. Which union did you run?
Never involved in “union”….I was lucky enough to work for an employer who understood the importance of paying above industry wages and benefits….and the importance of “labor” in accomplishing their goals. In my home town the two major employers are non0union and they pay their employees well with benefits that match. It can be done the right way. Unions exist where that has not always been the case.

People who failed their teachers hate teachers.

We're civil servants, not miracle workers.

This board is evidence that some are unteachable.

And f*ck them. Let the world pass them by. Let their insecurity be reinforced by their irrelevance.

If they're your kids I'm pretty sure they have no phuquin clue about anything in life.

Again, the irony!

Hahahahahahahaha

Your parents failed.

You are a true P.O.S.

Shoo away, little boy. The adults are speaking.
2flh8a.jpg

Unfortunately, Unions are needed now more than ever before. Incursion on “workers rights” by state legislatures and increasing the rights of employers are a deadly combination for today’s working man. Like it or nor, workers are forced to turn to Unions for fair representation at the bargaining table. Your last sentence is complete bullshit……any worker know that! When your use to “the man” is done, your job is done.
People complain about how wages have stagnated and how hard it is to be an employee now and how companies don't value them and then they turn around and blame Democrats for their problems. The destruction of unions by the right is the number one reason behind all of these issues. Getting rid of unions sure as shit didn't keep jobs in America, by the way. It probably accelerated the process if anything.

Reactions: joelbc1
Never involved in “union”….I was lucky enough to work for an employer who understood the importance of paying above industry wages and benefits….and the importance of “labor” in accomplishing their goals. In my home town the two major employers are non0union and they pay their employees well with benefits that match. It can be done the right way. Unions exist where that has not always been the case.
Amazing how that works isn't it? Almost like you had a choice to work for an employer who was good to it's employees.
And remember what we're talking about here, public sector workers making 66k on average per year working essentially for the government, not some slave driving company putting profit above its employees. It all adds up to the exact point of this thread.

Few organizations hold such legendary power as Chicago’s Teachers Union (CTU), but the people have finally had enough. An October poll conducted by Echelon Insights on behalf of the Illinois Policy Institute found that only 37 percent of registered Chicago voters have a favorable view of the CTU, with 46 percent reporting an unfavorable view.

These results represent a significant plunge in support for the CTU since February, when the same pollster found that 44 percent of respondents had a favorable view of their group, with 42 percent reporting an unfavorable view. In other words, CTU’s net favorability among Chicago voters dropped to negative nine from positive two – an 11-point plummet – in just eight months. This experience offers a preview of what could happen nationally as unions continue to overplay their hands – and a warning to legislators who keep deferring to their short-term power. If the CTU can lose its grip, no union stranglehold can last forever.

Republicans and independents are particularly unimpressed with the CTU, now reporting net favorability levels of -52 and -20, respectively. And voters of all political backgrounds say the CTU has "too much influence over the City of Chicago." But even 40 percent of Chicago Democrats say CTU has "too much influence," with 28 percent reporting the "about the right amount of influence," and only 14 percent indicating "too little influence."

In Chicago, voters have clearly reached a breaking point. Since the last poll, it was revealed in September that CTU president Stacy Davis Gates chose to enroll her child in a private school after she called school choice racist just last year. The latest poll showed that nearly half of Chicago voters now know that Ms. Gates sends her son to a private school – and they aren’t happy.

Making matters worse, CTU also spearheaded the effort to kill the Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship program, ripping scholarships away from 9,000 low-income kids to protect their monopoly. This was a greedy (and unpopular) move, as the latest poll showed 65 percent of Chicago voters supported the program, with support over 62 percent among Republicans, Democrats, and independents.

Adding insult to injury, CTU snuffed out this program after being one of the worst actors in the nation when it came to fighting against reopening public schools during the COVID-19 era. One of their board members was caught vacationing in Puerto Rico while claiming it was too unsafe for teachers to go back to work in person. In late 2020, the union posted and later deleted a tweet claiming, "The push to reopen schools is rooted in sexism, racism and misogyny." CTU voted to strike again in 2022 using COVID-19 as an excuse. Harmed the most were the low-income students whose chance to attend other schools CTU just extinguished.

CTU is fighting to trap low-income kids in the same union failure factories that their own president avoided for her son.
The latest Illinois state assessments reveal only 17 percent of Chicago Public School students are proficient in math (and 26 percent in reading). Illinois Department of Education data showed that not a single student was proficient in math or reading in 55 Chicago Public Schools in 2022. All that failure comes at a steep price tag. Chicago Public Schools spend nearly $30,000 per student per year.

The union’s political spending has yielded far more success – at least for now. The latest filing with the U.S. Department of Labor shows that CTU spent a record $3 million on politics in the 2023 fiscal year, just about tripling its political spending from the year before. That’s compared to just 17 percent of their spending that went toward representing teachers in 2023, a 2-point drop from the year before.

CTU successfully dragged one of their own handpicked employees – Brandon Johnson – across the finish line to become mayor in April. As its largest backer, CTU funneled more than $2.6 million to the Johnson campaign, and Johnson received more than $6 million from teachers unions altogether. This poll found that Mr. Johnson’s approval rating is now just 28 percent, which is unprecedented for an incoming mayor. The unions, as in most states, have nearly unlimited resources to force their favorites into power, but this poll shows that this power may soon be fleeting.

The state’s biggest free market think tank – the Illinois Policy Institute – showed the power of pushing back in the court of public opinion, releasing an hour-long documentary in February that has already garnered nearly 650,000 views on YouTube alone. Across the country, unions operate in private far differently than their public image would suggest. Chicago’s experience shows what happens when people find out the truth.

If voters in deep-blue Chicago can wake up to the disastrous effects of the teachers unions, it can happen anywhere. Parents can hope that Chicago Teachers Union is just the first domino to fall in the public’s eye. If voters continue to realize that the teachers unions don’t have the best interest of kids or their families in mind, we might just save our country from decline and defeat the power-hungry unions once and for all.

The Union should definitely dump the 2 hypocrites mentioned in the article.

The rest of the article is the usual wing-nutty, neoliberal propaganda that we have come to expect from FOX.

What good does the union actually do for teachers minus fighting against performance standards on their behalf? With the exception of lowering performance expectations what value do teachers believe they actually get in return for their dues?

Amazing how that works isn't it? Almost like you had a choice to work for an employer who was good to it's employees.
And remember what we're talking about here, public sector workers making 66k on average per year working essentially for the government, not some slave driving company putting profit above its employees. It all adds up to the exact point of this thread.
What point? Neither the OP article nor your comment makes any point beyond expressing your belief that unions are bad.

What point? Neither the OP article nor your comment makes any point beyond expressing your belief that unions are bad.
My posts helped elaborate why people share this belief. Its not just me but the majority in Chicago regarding the CTU. Again from the article -
"An October poll conducted by Echelon Insights on behalf of the Illinois Policy Institute found that only 37 percent of registered Chicago voters have a favorable view of the CTU, with 46 percent reporting an unfavorable view."
Sorry it bothers you that more people are waking up to the fact these public sector unions in particular are just plain awful.

My posts helped elaborate why people share this belief. Its not just me but the majority in Chicago regarding the CTU. Again from the article -
"An October poll conducted by Echelon Insights on behalf of the Illinois Policy Institute found that only 37 percent of registered Chicago voters have a favorable view of the CTU, with 46 percent reporting an unfavorable view."
Sorry it bothers you that more people are waking up to the fact these public sector unions in particular are just plain awful.
Even though that isn't a well-respected polling outfit, let's assume their numbers are right. So what?

Does that mean unions are bad, or is it more a measure of a) decades of virulent propaganda against unions by the right or b) general dissatisfaction with the state of education in America?

Keep in mind that the only reasons to dislike this particular union given by the article were 2 hypocrites.

If a couple of union hypocrites justifies taking down the whole union, imagine what that standard justifies vis-a-vis FOX.

I believe unions had a place and time in history but in the modern era they act only to the benefit of themselves and push a certain level of mediocrity that isn't beneficial to the best workers, the companies they work for, or their paying consumers (whether they're buying goods and services or getting "entitlements" from the government ie public education).

Even though that isn't a well-respected polling outfit, let's assume their numbers are right. So what?

Does that mean unions are bad, or is it more a measure of a) decades of virulent propaganda against unions by the right or b) general dissatisfaction with the state of education in America?

Keep in mind that the only reasons to dislike this particular union given by the article were 2 hypocrites.

If a couple of union hypocrites justifies taking down the whole union, imagine what that standard justifies vis-a-vis FOX.
People aren't born detesting unions, unions earn that dislike based on how they act and what they do. People in Chicago have come to dislike the CTU because of what the union stands for and what little the union does in regard to improving the education of young folk in Chicago.

Unions are so antiquated and not needed these days.

Reactions: Scruddy
People aren't born detesting unions, unions earn that dislike based on how they act and what they do. People in Chicago have come to dislike the CTU because of what the union stands for and what little the union does in regard to improving the education of young folk in Chicago.

Unions are so antiquated and not needed these days.
They're definitely not in line with the best interests of the students.
Teachers aren’t being paid what they should be. It’s all going to the teacher’s corrupt union.
True.

Ahh yes, it's all the propaganda and fake polls to blame, not the actions of the shitty CTU for decades. Good grief you're so predictable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT