ADVERTISEMENT

Next years team.

I think Joe could be a decent shooter. Joe needs to improve on his decision making and understanding how to control pace. He needs to know when to push the pace and when to back off. That would reduce a lot of his turnovers. Better gripping shoes wouldn’t hurt either.

As the year went on his jumpers and drives improved. I think the best way for him to slow it down is to get more time and settle in.

Next year will be interesting, but hard to be excited about what is coming back offensively. The only caveat is the growth of the Murray twins. I watched Sanfort and really do not expect him to make a significant contribution next year. JMO
hmm - not good :(

As the year went on his jumpers and drives improved. I think the best way for him to slow it down is to get more time and settle in.
I think the hardest thing for a point guard to understand is that he doesn’t have to make a highlight reel play every trip down court. They need to control the tempo, run the offense, get a good shot for your team every possession and value the ball. Take what the defense gives you and don’t turn the ball over.

This is good discussion and a good thread.....A couple items from posters here that I think are the key needs for next year.

1) Depth in the post.
2) Outside shooting.
3) Defensive improvement at a high level.

So, in reverse order I think the current roster has a pretty good group to step up the defense significantly. They will be athletic and long...quicker at pretty much every spot. I think and hope that Fran feels that way...he adapts to the personnel that he has and next years team can obviously press, run, play good half court defense and that HAS TO BE a cornerstone for next years team to have some success. With quickness and athleticism we need to be a good rebounding team as well.

Outside shooting: The first step is for the current roster to develop their offensive skills and take a significant step in the offseason. I feel pretty confident that Keegan Murray can do that. Next in terms of level of confidence is Nunge and Patrick. The rest of the gang doesn't have to be great but they should all be competent....SO this might be where we need to bring in a transfer?..I think that is important.

Depth in the Post: I think Josh O has a lot of potential.....but he has a LONG way to go for next year. I hope that he is 100% dedicated to doing what needs to be done. I think that Jack is better than many give him credit for and if he starts and plays regular minutes he will develop consistency....BUT you have to worry about his health..SO a transfer would be great. Does a transfer make Josh O say adios?

So, assuming Joe W is gone.....and Connor takes a while to heel up and get back in the groove, here is what I see:

PG: Joe T/Ulis
2G: CJ/Tony
Wing: Patrick/Kris/ P S
PF: Keegan, Kris/PS
C: Nunge/JO
(Connor in there somewhere when healthy)

That leaves 1 scholarship for a shooter and one for a post player.......

I think that IF the defense does what we hope, we get competent post depth, and the outside shooting that we need.....this will be a tournament team...

I think those recruiting needs will start to unfold pretty quickly and we will see some action in the next few weeks?

Perkins isn’t a true PG. Ulis is. Perkins needs to improve from good defense to elite defense, while also developing a better jumper (He hit a 3 today, so hopefully that’s a sign for the future with him) and better FT shooting. Joe T also needs to develop a better jump shot, but I want his focus to be on trying to slow down a bit and let the game come to him. He has all the tools, he just needs to improve in that one aspect to become the player we need him to be. Ulis is very smooth for his age, he just needs to put the polish on and also improve his jumper.
[/QUOT
IMO, JT should work on deep strategic changes in his concept of the game, rather than worry too much about technical issues such as 3-point shooting and jump stops. If he could tip his game toward being a steady, consistent, under-control, collegiate point guard, rather than a flashy, explosive, chaotic Ruckers player, the technical and tactical improvements would come more readily. IMO, he should work on decreasing his cortisol levels and increasing the activation of his serotonin system by learning to emulate the role of a "heady" collegiate point guard. Once he develops that mental capability, he will be able to self-regulate his explosive abilities to a greater advantage. IOW, IMO, he needs to take a top-down, rather than a bottom up approach toward improving his game. In that respect, he seems to differ from Garza who seemed capable of self regulating his arousal level but needed thousands of repetitions to work on his technique.

He was more of a 2nd string QB situation.
3rd! Connor was our backup PG until Bohannon shut it down, then moved to starting point guard, then moved to the 4 spot when Nunge tore his ACL. Toussaint was barely even supposed to play last year, but it’s not surprising that BB is talking about him “losing” his starting role considering how much he dislikes Joe

Reactions: Slim45
IMO, JT should work on deep strategic changes in his concept of the game, rather than worry too much about technical issues such as 3-point shooting and jump stops. If he could tip his game toward being a steady, consistent, under-control, collegiate point guard, rather than a flashy, explosive, chaotic Ruckers player, the technical and tactical improvements would come more readily. IMO, he should work on decreasing his cortisol levels and increasing the activation of his serotonin system by learning to emulate the role of a "heady" collegiate point guard. Once he develops that mental capability, he will be able to self-regulate his explosive abilities to a greater advantage. IOW, IMO, he needs to take a top-down, rather than a bottom up approach toward improving his game. In that respect, he seems to differ from Garza who seemed capable of self regulating his arousal level but needed thousands of repetitions to work on his technique.
This would also make sense. There’s a ton of stuff Joe T can do to improve, most everything people have said in this thread that Joe T can improve on, would most certainly help his game. The stuff you mentioned sounds like he would need medication or therapy of some sort. Is that how it would work?

This would also make sense. There’s a ton of stuff Joe T can do to improve, most everything people have said in this thread that Joe T can improve on, would most certainly help his game. The stuff you mentioned sounds like he would need medication or therapy of some sort. Is that how it would work?

In reply, the simple answer at the level of the BB program is to recruit a modern sports psychologist. Here's an explanation in greater detail:

As an alternative to meds, a cognitive approach might involve practice in controlling and maintaining one's state of mind when on a basketball court. There are all sorts of cognitive restructuring techniques developed in optimal arousal training, anger management, depression therapy, public speaking, and you name it. I believe the general thrust is one of being able to regulate emotions.

For example, I'm working on controlling my intrusive thoughts. I use to rely on zoloft, an ssri, but had to quit for medical reasons. Bummer. Too much thinking about animal suffering, Then I discovered that going into the "here and now" is an effective thought stopping technique for me, one that I can access simply by saying in my mind, "I am here."

So I practice being aware of when I'm locked into a bad thought and then saying to myself, "I am here." Helps keep me happy. A program for JT might involve practice in recognizing when he is getting lost in the excitement of a game and saying to himself, "Stay calm, fella," But then, I'm not a sports psychologist.

Reactions: perryhawk
In reply, the simple answer at the level of the BB program is to recruit a modern sports psychologist. Here's an explanation in greater detail:

As an alternative to meds, a cognitive approach might involve practice in controlling and maintaining one's state of mind when on a basketball court. There are all sorts of cognitive restructuring techniques developed in optimal arousal training, anger management, depression therapy, public speaking, and you name it. I believe the general thrust is one of being able to regulate emotions.

For example, I'm working on controlling my intrusive thoughts. I use to rely on zoloft, an ssri, but had to quit for medical reasons. Bummer. Too much thinking about animal suffering, Then I discovered that going into the "here and now" is an effective thought stopping technique for me, one that I can access simply by saying in my mind, "I am here."

So I practice being aware of when I'm locked into a bad thought and then saying to myself, "I am here." Helps keep me happy. A program for JT might involve practice in recognizing when he is getting lost in the excitement of a game and saying to himself, "Stay calm, fella," But then, I'm not a sports psychologist.
Sorry if this is a little off topic but is there something you used for that? Like the Calm app or one of the others out there?

Assuming JW is gone, I see a front court of Nunge, Keegan, and Patrick. CJF should be a starter (if he is back) but has to be more assertive. Hoping he can get healthy and be able to get 7-8 3 pointers off a night. You have to assume the coach's son/ 5th year senior/ one of two remaining starters will round out the starting 5. However, CJ is not good at creating his own shot and stopped shooting late in the year. Agree if you had a Marcus Carr to come in then we are immediately really good. Ulis is a 4 star out of HS so he can ball as can Tony P. I don't see the 88-80 games much but more of the 75-63 kind of game. We have enough to score an acceptable amount but defense will be the make or break. Man, getting Carr would really keep us in the upper half next year for sure.

Sorry if this is a little off topic but is there something you used for that? Like the Calm app or one of the others out there?

I don't know about the Calm app. I've heard about thought stopping for decades but dinnit know how to do it. Then, last fall, one of my physicians mentioned a pop psyc book about the Here and Now and how a person could use the here and now to get out of one's head. I came up with my mantra (I am here), it worked to get me out of my head, and stopped whatever thoughts I was having.

I remember from 1969 the motto of the 101st Screaming Eagles: Stay alert, stay alive. Never really understood it until last fall. What it means is to get out of your head and into the current situation, pay attention to whats happening around you, turn down the amygdala and turn up the volume on your frontal cortex, Of course, when I'm in my happy thoughts I like
to stay there. Save the here and know for when I really need it, like on a 3 on 2 fast break.

I think Fran has to take a deep look at himself this summer. He’s proven he can develop solid to great bigs here ala Luka, Olaseni, Woodbury, and Nunge. He has been best at developing forwards/wings, ala Uthoff, Keegan, Weezy, and White. He has never been good at developing guards. Part of the reason that’s the case is he doesn’t recruit very athletic guards. Over the last 2 classes, that has seemingly began to change. Ulis, Joe T, and Perkins are easily more athletic than JBO, Connor, and past guards recruited by Fran. It looks like Fran is beginning to recruit faster and more athletic guards compared to what he used to. For a system like Frans to work, he must have an athletic point guard. Joe T and Ulis are good athletes. The guys in the 2022 class like Bowen and Holloman are good athletes.

Fran also needs to recruit guards with attitude. I do not care for the Good Ole Iowa boys, who are quiet with no attitude. Besides JBO, can anyone name an Iowa guard recruited by Fran with an attitude and moxie about him? You can’t. In the past 2 classes I’ve noticed more guys with an attitude about them. Joe T has moxie about him and wants to have fun, which is something that I love to see from a guy who will be the leader of the squad next season. Perkins seems to have a quiet swagger to him. I haven’t got a read on Ulis yet. For the upcoming class, if any of you haven’t watched Dasonte Bowens interview with Schuz, I highly recommend you do. He has an attitude that is similar to Luka, where if anyone is rated higher than him, he is going to put in twice the amount of work to prove he is better than everyone rated above him. To be a good guard imo, you need to have an attitude/swagger about yourself.

In conclusion to this long ass post, we won’t ever be a Sweet 16 team until Fran recruits the guards athletic enough to flourish in his system.

Its a good post. The only minor difference I would take is the athleticism of the guards. Mikey G and AC were both pretty athletic guards, couldn't make free throws which is kind of big problem for your primary ball handlers. I think Fran takes the best kids he can get into Iowa. The program has gotten better and I think (certainly hope) that our improvements and the attention from the last few years will translate into more open doors in the better player's homes.

Joe lost his starting job when the most prolific passer and three point shooter and certainly one of the great game closers in school history returned from injury. Joey T has a completely different kind of game but I think will be extremely effective. Joey made huge strides over the course of his freshman year. Given an assurance of starter's minutes Joey T will be a very good point guard.

CJ has publicly tweeted or said he does not like Kentucky. That's just a nutty rumor.

I think the hardest thing for a point guard to understand is that he doesn’t have to make a highlight reel play every trip down court. They need to control the tempo, run the offense, get a good shot for your team every possession and value the ball. Take what the defense gives you and don’t turn the ball over.

Reply: I believe that an understanding of the role of a point guard (pg), as might be expressed in an essay, a recitation, or an objective test, is only one part of the foundation for effective point guard play -- and maybe even a smallish part. What is missing is the performance aspect of playing that role.

A tried and useful theory of performance (broadly defined) is the Yerkes-Dodson Law: According to the Law, there are optimal levels of arousal that support optimal performance for various individuals on various tasks. For example, enhanced arousal (but not too enhanced) facilitates performance for the highly skilled professional but maybe not for the less-skilled amateur. Again, it facilitates performance on easy but maybe not highly skilled tasks. And yet again, it facilitates performance on Herculean but maybe not more refined tasks. As an example, practice rounds at the Masters showcase the talented amateurs; but even so, the actual tournament rounds showcase the professionals who are better able to handle the heightened arousal.

Great coaches excel as motivators to bring their teams to the right level of arousal for a competition -- not too hot, not too cold, but just right. The Goldilocks level. But the onus is also on individual athletes to regulate their own arousal levels and their play to maximize performance in a contest. It behooves them to regulate their state of mind to a Goldilocks level in accord with their abilities and those of their opponents.

What I'm saying is that when a ball player is tasked with understanding and implementing the role of a pg, part of the equation must include learning to keep one's state of mind in harmony with one's skills and with the nature of the task at hand. The drumbeat is that of self- regulation, and one place to start would be arousal level. Could a pg learn to monitor arousal level and then modify it in accord with the Goldilocks principle? Am I now running too hot, too cold, or just about right? With enough practice, the brain might even put the whole process on auto pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Return
I think Pat will put on more weight in the off-season, and be able to play there. I don’t Keegan is thick enough to play there either.

I think both Keegan and PMac will bulk up a bit by next year. The Murrays look like they'll have an easier time filling out their frames than Patrick, but you never know. But I think both PMac and Keegan will be able to play the 3, 4, and 5 interchangeably as Fran uses different lineups. I think he's always looked at the Murrays and Patrick as being able to play multiple positions. In general, that seems the direction Fran has been going with his recent recruiting, getting long athletes with offensive skills who can play multiple positions.

Reply: I believe that an understanding of the role of a point guard (pg), as might be expressed in an essay, a recitation, or an objective test, is only one part of the foundation for effective point guard play -- and maybe even a smallish part. What is missing is the performance aspect of playing that role.

A tried and useful theory of performance (broadly defined) is the Yerkes-Dodson Law: According to the Law, there are optimal levels of arousal that support optimal performance for various individuals on various tasks. For example, enhanced arousal (but not too enhanced) facilitates performance for the highly skilled professional but maybe not for the less-skilled amateur. Again, it facilitates performance on easy but maybe not highly skilled tasks. And yet again, it facilitates performance on Herculean but maybe not more refined tasks. As an example, practice rounds at the Masters showcase the talented amateurs; but even so, the actual tournament rounds showcase the professionals who are better able to handle the heightened arousal.

Great coaches excel as motivators to bring their teams to the right level of arousal for a competition -- not too hot, not too cold, but just right. The Goldilocks level. But the onus is also on individual athletes to regulate their own arousal levels and their play to maximize performance in a contest. It behooves them to regulate their state of mind to a Goldilocks level in accord with their abilities and those of their opponents.

What I'm saying is that when a ball player is tasked with understanding and implementing the role of a pg, part of the equation must include learning to keep one's state of mind in harmony with one's skills and with the nature of the task at hand. The drumbeat is that of self- regulation, and one place to start would be arousal level. Could a pg learn to monitor arousal level and then modify it in accord with the Goldilocks principle? Am I now running too hot, too cold, or just about right? With enough practice, the brain might even put the whole process on auto pilot.

Last edited:
Patrick is not big or physical enough to play the 4 at all. He is a 3 and if he has another position, it would be the 2.
Loved him running the floor and getting fast break points late in year, really caught his stride. Maybe a few more lbs but if playing the 2 or 3 I like the speed in transition. He and Keegan could add a little more weight to finish better around basket and for the "and 1s."

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Loved him running the floor and getting fast break points late in year, really caught his stride. Maybe a few more lbs but if playing the 2 or 3 I like the speed in transition. He and Keegan could add a little more weight to finish better around basket and for the "and 1s."
The lineup with Pat, Keegan, and Joe T was fun to watch at the end of the year

Next year will be interesting, but hard to be excited about what is coming back offensively. The only caveat is the growth of the Murray twins. I watched Sanfort and really do not expect him to make a significant contribution next year. JMO
df87af99e5af9b9f29eb66ffcd628c14.jpg

Right on the money. Joe T will get better as he plays more, and stops trying to do too much in the limited time he’s been given.

I was really down after the loss to Oregon, but starting to think next year could be pretty entertaining.

Reactions: Moral
Another Reply:

Maybe a race car driver provides a good metaphor for understanding the role being played by an effective point guard (pg) on autopilot.

The pg, a man in this discussion, must size up his own abilities, those of the team , and those of the opposition, in order to get a feeling for how to balance those factors to generate performance in harmony with them. He wants a mental state near the Goldilocks point, not too lax, not too intense, but just about right.

During training he has frequently had to remember to self-monitor his arousal level to help coordinate his play with the demands of the task. Is he at a good level of mental intensity for the speed and complexity taking place. While that's OK in practice, it's much too slow in an actual game. Like a race car driver, where car and race conditions can change on the fly much too fast to think about, the pg must be able to adapt to rapidly changing game conditions with decisions that are virtually automatic, faster than conscious thaought. This in itself, takes practice. The inability to do this well, maybe because of insufficient practice, leads to mistakes, crashes, and turnovers. The actor, either pg or race driver has moved away from the Goldilocks point, trying too hard or maybe not hard enough, using tactics and maneuvers that art too complex or maybe not complex enough for the situation. Analogously to the race car driver, it's the pg's role to keep the team moving in the right direction, at the right speed, with appropriate maneuvers to optimize the chances of winning.

What's the coach's role? I'm not sure. Maybe coach is the pit boss. I've never watched much racing. But I believe with practice the coach's decisions, too, are amenable to the automatic self-regulation of abilities, mental states, and their optimal balance.

Last edited:
Don't you just love it. Nothing says "I don't know WTF I am talking about" like when you can't even spell the name of the player you are dissing.

🙂

Not a good idea to count on incoming freshmen for anything major. What I've seen of Payton is someone that really can shoot, just a flat out great shooter that is sufficiently athletic to get shots, e.g. not Brady Ellingson. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
Not a good idea to count on incoming freshmen for anything major. What I've seen of Payton is someone that really can shoot, just a flat out great shooter that is sufficiently athletic to get shots, e.g. not Brady Ellingson. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.
And that’s what we will need from him. If Weiskamp goes, we need to have another shooter besides Frederick.

Thank you for the above comment! ;)

I think Fran has to take a deep look at himself this summer. He’s proven he can develop solid to great bigs here ala Luka, Olaseni, Woodbury, and Nunge. He has been best at developing forwards/wings, ala Uthoff, Keegan, Weezy, and White. He has never been good at developing guards. Part of the reason that’s the case is he doesn’t recruit very athletic guards. Over the last 2 classes, that has seemingly began to change. Ulis, Joe T, and Perkins are easily more athletic than JBO, Connor, and past guards recruited by Fran. It looks like Fran is beginning to recruit faster and more athletic guards compared to what he used to. For a system like Frans to work, he must have an athletic point guard. Joe T and Ulis are good athletes. The guys in the 2022 class like Bowen and Holloman are good athletes.

Fran also needs to recruit guards with attitude. I do not care for the Good Ole Iowa boys, who are quiet with no attitude. Besides JBO, can anyone name an Iowa guard recruited by Fran with an attitude and moxie about him? You can’t. In the past 2 classes I’ve noticed more guys with an attitude about them. Joe T has moxie about him and wants to have fun, which is something that I love to see from a guy who will be the leader of the squad next season. Perkins seems to have a quiet swagger to him. I haven’t got a read on Ulis yet. For the upcoming class, if any of you haven’t watched Dasonte Bowens interview with Schuz, I highly recommend you do. He has an attitude that is similar to Luka, where if anyone is rated higher than him, he is going to put in twice the amount of work to prove he is better than everyone rated above him. To be a good guard imo, you need to have an attitude/swagger about yourself.

In conclusion to this long ass post, we won’t ever be a Sweet 16 team until Fran recruits the guards athletic enough to flourish in his system.
I think that Fran works his ass off in the recruiting game. He just hasn't had any luck getting the guards his top picks to come to iowa. And he's had to fall back. If you can ever land the studs that he's been after. Things would improve immensely

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
You mean the kid who was named second-team All-MVC and to the MVC All-Newcomer team, and ranked third nationally in three-point percentage at 47.9 percent? Brady's issues were not in his physical talent, they were between his ears. I hope that Sandfort doesn't have that problem, too!

With Luka likely moving on, there is no reason for CMac to start. That takes away the best thing he could provide to the team. I like Connor’s attitude, he’s tough as nails and I respect him a hell of a lot more now after hearing about his hip problems, but he is not a starter in the Big 10.
Sorry, did you just say, "with Luka LIKELY moving on"? Not to destroy whatever fantasy you're entertaining but its quite clear he's NOT coming back. He's moving on with his life, NBA, or Europe whereever, and they are retiring his number remember. What do you think the tears were for Monday afternoon? He's done, finne, gonzo...... o_O

You mean the kid who was named second-team All-MVC and to the MVC All-Newcomer team, and ranked third nationally in three-point percentage at 47.9 percent? Brady's issues were not in his physical talent, they were between his ears. I hope that Sandfort doesn't have that problem, too!

He was never as bad as people said on here but not the quickest guard. Very happy for his Valley success, cuz Drake's my no 2 team and I always thought he was a good kid that caught too much shit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT