ADVERTISEMENT

Next years team.

While I understand the pessimism, I disagree with it. If CJF and Nunge are healthy, I think that each of them have big years. I think that CJF goes for 15 a game. I think that Nunge puts up 12.5 and 8 boards per game. I think that Toussaint and Keegan both average double figures, and Patrick McCaffery is close to double figures.

Perkins isn’t a true PG. Ulis is. Perkins needs to improve from good defense to elite defense, while also developing a better jumper (He hit a 3 today, so hopefully that’s a sign for the future with him) and better FT shooting. Joe T also needs to develop a better jump shot, but I want his focus to be on trying to slow down a bit and let the game come to him. He has all the tools, he just needs to improve in that one aspect to become the player we need him to be. Ulis is very smooth for his age, he just needs to put the polish on and also improve his jumper.

Hope I'm proven wrong but I just never see Joe T developing into a decent shooter. If he could get his turnovers under control, I do see him developing into an elite point guard that only scores a few points per game but facilitates. His quickness is elite even against a team like Oregon today with great athletes.

I guess I haven't seen enough of Perkins to know he's not a true point. He did show flashes of hitting jumpers so that's really encouraging. Next year's squad seems like a bunch of slashers with not enough pure shooters.

Hope I'm proven wrong but I just never see Joe T developing into a decent shooter. If he could get his turnovers under control, I do see him developing into an elite point guard that only scores a few points per game but facilitates. His quickness is elite even against a team like Oregon today with great athletes.

I guess I haven't seen enough of Perkins to know he's not a true point. He did show flashes of hitting jumpers so that's really encouraging. Next year's squad seems like a bunch of slashers with not enough pure shooters.
Next years squad is going to depend on strong inside game. CJF is going to be our only true shooter returning, with a good shooter in Sandfort coming in. I think the squad can be decent next year, around 18ish wins with a chance to sneak into the dance.

While I understand the pessimism, I disagree with it. If CJF and Nunge are healthy, I think that each of them have big years. I think that CJF goes for 15 a game. I think that Nunge puts up 12.5 and 8 boards per game. I think that Toussaint and Keegan both average double figures, and Patrick McCaffery is close to double figures.
If Connor (double hip ) and CJ have hip surgery as Fran did they are- then I would highly doubt either contribute next season.

Next season starts creeping into everyone's mind around March 1.

Joe T proved again today he is miles ahead of Ahron. Ahron looks like he will be a good player but right now has shown nothing long term. I do think he will be good.

1. Joey T/Ahron
2. CJF/Tony
3. P McC/Kr Murray
4. Ke Murray/ C McC
5. Someone to be a decent center.

Payton Sandfort looks like he can play 3 or 4, which next year will be pretty interchangeable if its Patrick and Kenyon in the line up I foresee. I do not see how Connor can contribute much on next season's roster unless he has one of those senior year eruptions and starts hitting shots. There won't be room for a 6'6" non scorer. As I and others have noted his skill set was very much designed for Luka ball and that train just left the station. Josh's minutes entirely depend on physical and skills improvement. I presume Jack starts at 5 but no one knows if he can really go 100%. We have only uncertainty at the last spot.

If I'm Fran I am reviewing that transfer portal right now.

Reactions: amahawk
Losing Garza, JBo and probably Weezy, I see the team as NIT caliber next year. That's a huge chunk of your offense.

We should be improved on defense next season. However, likely won't have good interior defense due to our lack of a true center so we'll struggle against teams with good big men. (The Big Ten has several)

In my mind, here's what we need to happen next year to make the NCAA tourney:
1. Keegan Murray continued development and be a key part of the offense. (Bonus if Kris catches up)
2. CJ Frederick needs to be healthy and take on a more commanding/scoring role from 3 point range with Weezy and JBo gone. PMac could also fill this role but he's not a pure shooter like CJ.
3. Nunge needs to be healthy and playing consistently well instead of ups and downs like this season.
4. Joe T and/or Perkins need to establish themselves as a great point guard. Limit turnovers and distribute while playing lockdown defense.
5. One of the incoming freshman will need to be a pleasant surprise like Keegan was this season.

I hope they overachieve and surprise me. I think it'll be 2 years before we're back in the dance.

1 NCAA win every 2 years is Fran's "body of work"...so that sounds about right

Fran's teams typically don't have a problem scoring it's the defense. We look like a better defensive team without JBO and Garza. I see good things for the Hawks next season.

If Connor (double hip ) and CJ have hip surgery as Fran did they are- then I would highly doubt either contribute next season.

My understanding is that the hip surgery referred to Connor, and that CJF was dealing with plantar fasciitis. I know that there is reason for concern with CJF as he has had injury issues each of the last two years.

I have optimistic views on next year. I think Joe T is going to be great and he needs to be given the reins. We just need to realize he is going to have some turnovers and deal with it. Pmac and Murray with another year will be good and there were times this year Nunge looked like an all big ten big man. Hopefully he can stay healthy and if he does I think we will be just fine next year. Of course a big man from the portal or someone like Carr would really help.

Didn't know about the Connor hip surgery. Hell he might be done, which would be a smaller loss to how I foresee next's season's team than Nunge to be sure.

Next season starts creeping into everyone's mind around March 1.

Joe T proved again today he is miles ahead of Ahron. Ahron looks like he will be a good player but right now has shown nothing long term. I do think he will be good.

1. Joey T/Ahron
2. CJF/Tony
3. P McC/Kr Murray
4. Ke Murray/ C McC
5. Someone to be a decent center.

Payton Sandfort looks like he can play 3 or 4, which next year will be pretty interchangeable if its Patrick and Kenyon in the line up I foresee. I do not see how Connor can contribute much on next season's roster unless he has one of those senior year eruptions and starts hitting shots. There won't be room for a 6'6" non scorer. As I and others have noted his skill set was very much designed for Luka ball and that train just left the station. Josh's minutes entirely depend on physical and skills improvement. I presume Jack starts at 5 but no one knows if he can really go 100%. We have only uncertainty at the last spot.

If I'm Fran I am reviewing that transfer portal right now.
@PHawkKenyon making a return to the hardwood?

In all seriousness, Ulis does have a ways to goto be the starting PG here at Iowa. He will be good before his time is up, but he needs to work to get better.

As for the Center spot, I’m really hoping a guy like Robbins or Foster enters the portal. I’m sure we could grab at least one of them if they both do.

Reactions: BBHawk
If you’re putting 20 pounds on Patrick then you can put him at the 4. He played well the last couple games and could be really good but the kid is just too lanky right now, IMHO.
Guys. Wieskamp and Connor played #4 this year, it will be Murray next year

Reactions: CarmelHawki
Joe t/ulis
cjf/Perkins
Joe w/Patrick
Keegan/Kris
Jack/Josh O

This is my hope. If Joe W leaves hit the grad transfer market hard for a 3 and D player. There has to be some fairly decent athlete at a mid major who can somewhat shoot and defend. Strongly encourage Connor to focus on baseball. With Garza gone his sick post feeds become irrelevant. He had a season to play with Patrick it makes sense to move on.

I’m not seeing a good team at all... unless there’s a transfer that’s actually a good guard. Guards win college basketball. We don’t have complete guards.
That’s why I hope Fran goes hard after Carr in the portal. Put him in there with Joe T and CJ, along with having Ahron, Tony, and Kris come off the bench and that makes for a salty guard group imo.

Reactions: amahawk
Fran's teams typically don't have a problem scoring it's the defense. We look like a better defensive team without JBO and Garza. I see good things for the Hawks next season.
You see the team being better without Garza? Keep in mind he scored almost half of our points. Two of the starters that are returning scored 0 points. Even if Garza is a defensive liability, he’s carried this team and Frans paycheck for 2 seasons now

Reactions: blhawk
That’s why I hope Fran goes hard after Carr in the portal. Put him in there with Joe T and CJ, along with having Ahron, Tony, and Kris come off the bench and that makes for a salty guard group imo.
Carr isn’t really in the portal, he is going pro. Absolutely no chance he is at Iowa next year and>1% he is playing CBB

Id start him at the 1. I like Joe T but I think Perkins will eventually be the guy.
I don’t Perkins is a true one though. I like him better at the 2 to be a good wing defender and slasher. Joe T is a better passer than Perkins, along with being faster. Perkins and Joe T would make for a salty guard duo though.

Tony's ball handling skills are the weakest part of his game. Joey T and Ahron will be the point guards. Joey T will start and play most of the minutes. Joey had a little sophomore slump because of reduced minutes. He will have more minutes than ever next season.

Tony needs to focus his offense on shooting open jumpers. I'm think if you have Joey T, CJ Keegan and Patrick Tony is the guy that gets the least perimeter defense. If Tony can make them pay in a way that Connor has been unable to do the team will prosper and Tony will get more chances to display his explosive first step.

Last edited:
Tony's ball handling skills are the weakest part of his game. Joey T and Ahron will be the point guards. Joey T will start and play most of the minutes. Joey had a little sophomore slump because of reduced minutes. He will have more minutes than ever next season.
Agreed. Joe T didn’t even have that bad of a season, and it’s being considered a slump. I think he’ll break out in a big way next season.

Think this is a twenty win team if they solve the center problem. If the NBA tells Joe Dub to work on his left and finishing even stronger, and his fiancé isn't groovy with her boy roaming the hotel rooms of the D League, I think we are an almost lock for the NCAA round of 64-if we solve the center problem.

Think this is a twenty win team if they solve the center problem. If the NBA tells Joe Dub to work on his left and finishing even stronger, and his fiancé isn't groovy with her boy roaming the hotel rooms of the D League, I think we are an almost lock for the NCAA round of 64-if we solve the center problem.
I think the guard problem is a bigger one than the center one. College hoops is a guard driven game.

I think the guard problem is a bigger one than the center one. College hoops is a guard driven game.

No, I mean the problem is we do not know if Iowa HAS a playable center next season. No one knows if Jack can really return to a playable level. Plus two untouched knee injuries in two consecutive seasons is unlucky, of course, but it could also bespeak a fragility that could result in Jack's loss for the season at any point in the season, yet another critical unknown. We do not know if Josh could even play 5 consecutive minutes as this point. So right now there's a pretty big "no one" screaming from that position.

While CJ has proven fragile, I am otherwise optimistic about the guards, the other four starters actually. Think we'll go 7 deep in good defensive players, even if Connor and Joe W are gone. If CJ can stay healthy he's a 15 ppg scorer, as I believe Keegan and Patrick can do as well, albeit in some unorthodox and junky ball ways.

But who will guard the the B!G bigs?

No, I mean the problem is we do not know if Iowa HAS a playable center next season. No one knows if Jack can really return to a playable level. Plus two untouched knee injuries in two consecutive seasons is unlucky, of course, but it could also bespeak a fragility that could result in Jack's loss for the season at any point in the season, yet another critical unknown. We do not know if Josh could even play 5 consecutive minutes as this point. So right now there's a pretty big "no one" screaming from that position.

While CJ has proven fragile, I am otherwise optimistic about the guards, the other four starters actually. Think we'll go 7 deep in good defensive players, even if Connor and Joe W are gone. If CJ can stay healthy he's a 15 ppg scorer, as I believe Keegan and Patrick can do as well, albeit in some unorthodox and junky ball ways.

But who will guard the the B!G bigs?
I don't know if you watched the Oregon game but center wasn't the issue. Heck, they don't even start a traditional Center. You need athletic guards and wings to win. I like Perkins but the verdict is out on the other ones. We also don't have many shooters next year assuming Joe W leaves.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I think he probably is. I’ve heard that he’s ready to move on. But now with his injury that happened today, maybe he’ll stick around.
After getting stripped as often as he did today, he better stick around.

Next year is his chance to be our Jarrod Uthoff. It'll be his team and he can show whether he can lead a team or if he's only good enough to be "one of" our main scorers.

If you guys truly think that next year's team is gonna be "if teams stop Weiskamp, you stop Iowa" then you haven't been paying attention to our bench............

One word comes to mind. Balance.

After getting stripped as often as he did today, he better stick around.

Next year is his chance to be our Jarrod Uthoff. It'll be his team and he can show whether he can lead a team or if he's only good enough to be "one of" our main scorers.

If you guys truly think that next year's team is gonna be "if teams stop Weiskamp, you stop Iowa" then you haven't been paying attention to our bench............

One word comes to mind. Balance.
I think next years team could surprise some. I don’t think they will be a super great team, but they have the athletic ability to do some special things. This year was Frans best team. Next year will likely be his most athletic.

I don't know if you watched the Oregon game but center wasn't the issue. Heck, they don't even start a traditional Center. You need athletic guards and wings to win. I like Perkins but the verdict is out on the other ones. We also don't have many shooters next year assuming Joe W leaves.

Part was a big coaching mistake Iowa made not to slow the tempo and pound it inside. Long term, how do you think Oregon would fare in the B!G Ten game in and out. They would be pounded to death inside.

Like others, I am assuming Wieskamp is done. With that said, I think the biggest variable in creating lineups for next year is Connor. He’s a returning starter and a senior, so it’s hard to see him taking a lesser role. On the other hand, he will be coming off hip surgery, his top skill of feeding the post will no longer be as vital, and he may very well end up opting to focus on baseball.

My lineup looks pretty much the same as others have already suggested:

Starters:
Toussaint
Fredrick (hope he’s healthy)
P. McCaffery
Ke Murray
Nunge

Backups:
Ulis
Perkins
Kr Murray
C McCaffery
Ogundele

If Connor is not back, move Sandfort into that spot. If a quality big man is available via the portal, I would love to have him, but it’s got to be a good fit. I am comfortable with Ogundele getting backup minutes, or playing small when need be (I actually like the idea of Murray, Murray, and P-Mac playing together.)
If Weazey is gone I think you are correct on the starters barring a high level transfer. I think we will have to play a lot of zone next year because we have a lot of question marks for too much man to man.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I think Pat should play the 4. He’s a bit taller and has more length. With your bench, I’m confused. Perkins is more of a 2, Ulis is not a 3, Connor is not someone who should play the 4, and Kris probably fits in better at the 4.
There are some pieces there to be interesting if Iowa gets a good transfer big guy. Does interesting mean in the NCAA tournament? Maybe. If Wieskamp comes back, they could definitely make it. If he doesn't, I would find it hard to put Iowa in the tournament.

A combination of Toussaint and Ulis at the point can work.
Wing/perimeter players include Perkins, Patrick McC, Frederick, Keeg Murray, Sandfort. Some nice pieces there.
Nungle, Kr. Murray, Ogundele and TBD transfer as bigs. Question marks all around.

If Connor does have surgery, I don't know how he plays next year. If he does play, I don't know how Fran handles the playing time. The statistical profile of Connor this year just can't be run out there again next year. It cannot be justified.
I watched a lot of the Murray kids games from last year. Don’t sleep on Kris Murray. I feel he fits in better at the 3 than the 4. Having both Murray’s out there together will compliment our flow. A high level transfer big would make us quite competitive.

Reactions: iafan44 and Moral
I think Fran has to take a deep look at himself this summer. He’s proven he can develop solid to great bigs here ala Luka, Olaseni, Woodbury, and Nunge. He has been best at developing forwards/wings, ala Uthoff, Keegan, Weezy, and White. He has never been good at developing guards. Part of the reason that’s the case is he doesn’t recruit very athletic guards. Over the last 2 classes, that has seemingly began to change. Ulis, Joe T, and Perkins are easily more athletic than JBO, Connor, and past guards recruited by Fran. It looks like Fran is beginning to recruit faster and more athletic guards compared to what he used to. For a system like Frans to work, he must have an athletic point guard. Joe T and Ulis are good athletes. The guys in the 2022 class like Bowen and Holloman are good athletes.

Fran also needs to recruit guards with attitude. I do not care for the Good Ole Iowa boys, who are quiet with no attitude. Besides JBO, can anyone name an Iowa guard recruited by Fran with an attitude and moxie about him? You can’t. In the past 2 classes I’ve noticed more guys with an attitude about them. Joe T has moxie about him and wants to have fun, which is something that I love to see from a guy who will be the leader of the squad next season. Perkins seems to have a quiet swagger to him. I haven’t got a read on Ulis yet. For the upcoming class, if any of you haven’t watched Dasonte Bowens interview with Schuz, I highly recommend you do. He has an attitude that is similar to Luka, where if anyone is rated higher than him, he is going to put in twice the amount of work to prove he is better than everyone rated above him. To be a good guard imo, you need to have an attitude/swagger about yourself.

In conclusion to this long ass post, we won’t ever be a Sweet 16 team until Fran recruits the guards athletic enough to flourish in his system.

I think Joe could be a decent shooter. Joe needs to improve on his decision making and understanding how to control pace. He needs to know when to push the pace and when to back off. That would reduce a lot of his turnovers. Better gripping shoes wouldn’t hurt either.

With what we have returning, I don’t see where points will come from. CJ is a good player. Not one of the best in the conference

Joe T./Ahron Ulis
CJF/Perkins
PMac/ Kr. Murray/ Sandfort
Ke. Murray/CMac/ Kr. Murray
Nunge/ Ogundele/ Ke. Murray

This could change if we hit the Grad Transfer Market. Weezie is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT