ADVERTISEMENT

NFL designing COVID-19 face masks for helmets

I'd be worried about players unable to breathe. What a stunt. Von Miller had the Rona and he's totally fine. If somebody gets it best believe these franchises have access to anything they need to overcome it.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
Healthy people have nothing to worry about. Wear mask and social distance when around the elderly or the immune compromised. Other than that go out and live your life. I’m so sick of this hyper sensitivity to something that has 99.9% survival rate.
It's just to minimize the spread. A player can look and feel healthy but still have it.

And if it helps to bring back football earlier, why complain about it?

I'd be worried about players unable to breathe. What a stunt. Von Miller had the Rona and he's totally fine. If somebody gets it best believe these franchises have access to anything they need to overcome it.
Miller did mention that he had trouble breathing and still felt the effects after he was cleared. He's fine now though, yes.

Reactions: dbrocket
Some masks are difficult to breathe through.

lulu.png

It's just to minimize the spread. A player can look and feel healthy but still have it.

And if it helps to bring back football earlier, why complain about it?

true but wont players be quarantined from at risk people for the whole season. Also if you’re wearing a mask during a football game aren’t you going to be adjusting it constantly and touching your face which is the real issue?

That is a good point but I wonder if it’s more social signaling than actually effective.

true but wont players be quarantined from at risk people for the whole season. Also if you’re wearing a mask during a football game aren’t you going to be adjusting it constantly and touching your face which is the real issue?

That is a good point but I wonder if it’s more social signaling than actually effective.
There will be support staff, etc. They won't be living on an island. All it takes is one person if they aren't taking precautions.

Healthy people have nothing to worry about. Wear mask and social distance when around the elderly or the immune compromised. Other than that go out and live your life. I’m so sick of this hyper sensitivity to something that has 99.9% survival rate.
Agree

But people don’t do that, so....

Healthy people know other people....

99.9% huh? Lol

I like how people think everyone at risk can just live in a bubble and survive lol there are plenty out buying essentials every day.....

Last edited:
Best believe that player could miss many games. Teams want to win ;)

You're right, his numbers are off a bit. Depending on who's estimates you go with regarding the total number of people who've had it (including those who are undiagnosed or unconfirmed)... it's more like 99.5%.
1.7m confirmed. About 100k dead.

Way more than .1%. Or .5

Yes more than 1.7m have had it, but let's not pretend every single death was properly documented....

Healthy people know other people....

99.9% huh? Lol

I like how people think everyone at risk can just live in a bubble and survive lol there are plenty out buying essentials every day.....
It’s almost like if it were that simplistic, there wouldn’t be a world wide race to find a vaccine.

Way more than .1%. Or .5

Yes more than 1.7m have had it, but let's not pretend every single death was properly documented....

Go back and read more closely. The number of people who are confirmed to have had it is a fraction of the actual total number of people who have. The current published fatality rate (roughly 5% in the US) is only calculated against the confirmed cases...not the total. Therefore it is inflated. How much... is certainly open to intelligent debate, but there's little doubt that conceptually this is true.

If not, I'll have to call my friend back and tell her how full of it she is for suggesting it. I mean, what would an epidemiologist know?

Go back and read more closely. The number of people who are confirmed to have had it is a fraction of the actual total number of people who have. The current published fatality rate (roughly 5% in the US) is only calculated against the confirmed cases...not the total. Therefore it is inflated. How much... is certainly open to intelligent debate, but there's little doubt that conceptually this is true.

If not, I'll have to call my friend back and tell her how full of it she is for suggesting it. I mean, what would an epidemiologist know?
Agreed but I doubt there are 10x as many, certainly not 50x.

The one fact is that ANY number is nothing more than a guess. Some more educated than others ;)

For transparency sake, ask your friend how many people have died from covid without a diagnosis.

For transparency sake, ask your friend how many people have died from covid without a diagnosis.

What do you mean? They died before they were diagnosed with it (meaning it was detected post-mortem)? They'd still be counted as a C-19 death at autopsy so it doesn't change the numbers. It's also highly unlikely, as someone presenting with respiratory distress would certainly be tested for C-19.

If what you're inferring is that we have scores of people dying from it and we don't know they died from it... there's no indication that that's happening to any significant degree. Once again, it's highly unlikely as the effects in seriously affected people are pretty clear and definable. It attacks the lungs. People don't just drop dead in the street.

What do you mean? They died before they were diagnosed with it (meaning it was detected post-mortem)? They'd still be counted as a C-19 death at autopsy so it doesn't change the numbers. It's also highly unlikely, as someone presenting with respiratory distress would certainly be tested for C-19.

If what you're inferring is that we have scores of people dying from it and we don't know they died from it... there's no indication that that's happening to any significant degree. Once again, it's highly unlikely as the effects in seriously affected people are pretty clear and definable. It attacks the lungs. People don't just drop dead in the street.
But we don’t know that for certain, now do we?

Agreed but I doubt there are 10x as many, certainly not 50x.

The one fact is that ANY number is nothing more than a guess. Some more educated than others ;)

actually 10x seems to be the factor most commonly postulated. Some are suggesting higher, but 10x is what other countries who were hit before the US are suggesting.

Well, I guess any of it.

Actually we do know a lot about it. It's clear how it attacks the lungs, who is most vulnerable to it and we have data to back that up. The CDC website is free, take a look. The fatality profile of this disease is quite similar to other respiratory diseases.

The true fatality rates won't be known until we have a better grasp of the total number of people infected. (more complete data, which was my initial point). But it's clear that the expected mortality rate is dropping the more we know about how broadly it's been spread, and that's expected to continue.

It's not an opinion, not a political view and not driven by emotion. It's data. Have a nice evening.

Actually we do know a lot about it. It's clear how it attacks the lungs, who is most vulnerable to it and we have data to back that up. The CDC website is free, take a look. The fatality profile of this disease is quite similar to other respiratory diseases.

The true fatality rates won't be known until we have a better grasp of the total number of people infected. (more complete data, which was my initial point). But it's clear that the expected mortality rate is dropping the more we know about how broadly it's been spread, and that's expected to continue.

It's not an opinion, not a political view and not driven by emotion. It's data. Have a nice evening.
Please show me the data of those who died from it without a diagnosis. I’m honestly interested

Way more than .1%. Or .5

You’re not accounting for asymptomatic people who get it but never show symptoms, which could be up to 95% of people according to some sample cases of outbreaks at prisons. We have hardly tested anyone. Most if not all of the confirmed cases have come from sick people in the hospital. Thus there’s huge group of people maybe up to 20 times the number of confirmed cases that have it but don’t show signs because they don’t have a crompromised immune system or some other health factor like obesity or diabetes.

For example there was a prison in which the whole group was tested for covid, almost all of them had it but 95% were asymptomatic.

the news won’t tell you this because why would they want to stymie the hysteria, their numbers are probably the highest they’ve been since 9/11.

Also consider that heart disease numbers are down by 50% since March. What does that tell you.

Sweden didn’t close and they are currently averaging 9 more deaths per 100k people.

San Diego’s governor said they’ve had more suicides than strictly covid deaths. Covid is bad for weak immune people but the predominant portion of us aren’t in that category

If you are in the at risk group, quarantine, if you have loved ones like that, don’t see them. They will have to be careful until we get a vaccine. I have grandparents in that scenario, I’m smart enough not to see them

Reactions: unclesammy
This is a football thread. Try to stick with that instead of turning this thread into an argument about something unrelated.

I don't think your statement is correct. Have you seen the photos of the healthy male nurse who looked like a body builder and then the photo of him after he was hospitalized with COVID for 8 weeks and looked like he went through Chemo?

Wear a mask when you are around anyone outside of your home.

The only mask that would be effective would be those worn by firefighters. Otherwise, most masks (non N95) are 0%-30% effective, and that doesn't account for the person wearing it breathing heavily for many hours

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT